Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
136 registered members (Alex Hutor, 90125, 7uturu, AZNpiano, anotherscott, Amedeus, bambooninja, 31 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 50 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 49 50
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2519596
03/10/16 03:39 PM
03/10/16 03:39 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Thanks for the support, guys!

Currently working on RCM level 5 pieces (and some easier ones, lol)
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: ebonykawai] #2521269
03/15/16 08:17 AM
03/15/16 08:17 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
No problem! smile

Well, with week off from lessons I can focus on my three Unit 3 pieces in the Lesson Book. All fairly hard, but fun to learn and practice.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2525874
03/29/16 09:28 PM
03/29/16 09:28 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
OK, so tomorrow marks my 2 1/2 year anniversary starting lessons with our wonderful teacher, and starting from the ground up with Faber Accelerated Piano Adventures for the Older Beginner Book 1.

In 30 months I've progressed through the middle of Level 4.

So, I've made a decision. Take a 2-3 month break from the lesson books and go in a different direction.

I have to start to catch up with my Developing Artist Book 2 pieces, plus learn and perfect my 3 movement sonatina for our Spring Musicale at the end of May. In addition I have never played a piece outside of the Faber series until now. My teacher has some other material that she wants to assign, and I'm really looking forward to that.

Plus, I have a "special project" I've had my eye on for 6 months: Learning to play my first Chopin piece in original form "Wiosna" from ABSRM Grade 3 exam book.

I plan to start back on the second half of PA Level 4 by mid-June, and hopefully finish by the end of this year.

With any luck, Level 5 will be done by the end of 2017, and then..... Who knows.

I've heard that less than 1% of students who start Piano Adventures Level 1 ever graduate through Level 5. I would very much like to be in that group.

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2525886
03/29/16 10:40 PM
03/29/16 10:40 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

You're going to make it, Brian. You love what you are doing, and you are up to the challenge. I think you will find great ways to enjoy the break and have some wonderful piano experiences.

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2525889
03/29/16 10:56 PM
03/29/16 10:56 PM
J
John BC Offline
John BC  Offline
J

Awesome! Congrats! I start Faber Books 2 this week.. woo hoo smile

regards

John

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2525936
03/30/16 05:33 AM
03/30/16 05:33 AM
Brighton, UK
TrevorM Offline
TrevorM  Offline

Brighton, UK
Great news, Brian!

I seem to be on a similar track right now. I've broken the back of Mountain King this week after my teacher pushed me ahead to Book 4. To be honest I was lacking confidence, but my teacher seemed to think I could do it, and it seems like I can! I will say it was a bit of a frustrating experience going from relatively easy pieces to pieces which took a couple of days to get down, to harder pieces which take a few weeks to learn… but I've found it very rewarding.

He asked again what I'd like to get out of learning piano, and I still don't know how to answer. He's happy to continue working through the Faber books because he agrees that it's well constructed, but he's asked me to think of some pieces (pop, blues, jazz, classical… anything) that I'd like to play for myself. Luckily, with an Easter break in the way I have a couple of weeks to think about it, but again, I'm a bit stumped for now!

Anyway, in the mean time, I'm working on Medieval Fair. smile

P.S. Yesterday I went back and tried some 2A level pieces and discovered how far I'd come! Sometimes I feel like I'm not progressing all that much, but when I can sight-read pieces that I really struggled-tinkered with just a few months ago it gives a great sense of accomplishment.

Roland F130-R
Currently working on:
- Sound of Emotions
- Piano Marvel 3C
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Ralphiano] #2525980
03/30/16 09:41 AM
03/30/16 09:41 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Originally Posted by raubucho
You're going to make it, Brian. You love what you are doing, and you are up to the challenge. I think you will find great ways to enjoy the break and have some wonderful piano experiences.

Thanks Ralph!

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: John BC] #2525982
03/30/16 09:43 AM
03/30/16 09:43 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Originally Posted by John BC
Awesome! Congrats! I start Faber Books 2 this week.. woo hoo smile

regards

John

Hi John; Keep us informed as to how you are doing!

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TrevorM] #2525983
03/30/16 09:48 AM
03/30/16 09:48 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Great news, Brian!

I seem to be on a similar track right now. I've broken the back of Mountain King this week after my teacher pushed me ahead to Book 4. To be honest I was lacking confidence, but my teacher seemed to think I could do it, and it seems like I can! I will say it was a bit of a frustrating experience going from relatively easy pieces to pieces which took a couple of days to get down, to harder pieces which take a few weeks to learn… but I've found it very rewarding.

He asked again what I'd like to get out of learning piano, and I still don't know how to answer. He's happy to continue working through the Faber books because he agrees that it's well constructed, but he's asked me to think of some pieces (pop, blues, jazz, classical… anything) that I'd like to play for myself. Luckily, with an Easter break in the way I have a couple of weeks to think about it, but again, I'm a bit stumped for now!

Anyway, in the mean time, I'm working on Medieval Fair. smile

P.S. Yesterday I went back and tried some 2A level pieces and discovered how far I'd come! Sometimes I feel like I'm not progressing all that much, but when I can sight-read pieces that I really struggled-tinkered with just a few months ago it gives a great sense of accomplishment.

First of all, I loved learning Medieval Fair!

You make a great point here. The grind of knowing the next piece to learn may be harder than the last one can really get to you after a while.

Last, week, my wife was playing something in Level 3A that I remembered took me 3 weeks to learn about 15 months ago. Well, just for fun I sat down and within 5 minutes I had it nailed. Sometimes you have to do that to understand how far you have come over time...

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2528951
04/08/16 10:31 PM
04/08/16 10:31 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Spent most of tonight learning my first original form Mozart piece in the Performance book.

Already after an hour or so things are going well. There is some complicated left/right hand coordination going on, as well the first example of what my teacher calls "finger pedaling".

After hundreds of hours of practice, lessons, and more practice, learning a piece like this so quickly is a real rush.

For more advanced players, sure this is pretty simple Mozart. But for me, it took 30 months to get here.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2532262
04/19/16 11:59 PM
04/19/16 11:59 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M

Hi guys and gals,

I've not really been away but just lurking in the background.

I've finally finished Level 3A; I thought I would finish it by the middle of Feb but the last few chapters were quite challenging and I want to play all the pieces relatively well before moving on.

The book recommends moving to level 4 for some people which strikes me a bit strange as there is a lot of stuff that is covered in Level 3B that is not covered in 3A.

Anyway, given the way I am going, I think I'll modify my goal to just finishing 3B by the end of the year.

Brian, congrats on your achievement.

On the topic of playing the older levels relatively easily, one thing to note that even if you have not played a piece in 1.5 years you would still retain some finger memory. The challenge is to play something new from 3A and see how long it would take (like from the older version of 3A). I am sure it would be relatively easy but not as easy as stated.

Regards

Mario

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2532324
04/20/16 07:51 AM
04/20/16 07:51 AM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Hi Mario! I just started 3B myself about a week and a half ago! I don't know why it would be recommended to skip to 4, as 3B introduces minor keys, major and minor triads and chord inversions, unless you're coming from the end of Adult 2, which does cover those.

I really like the techniques in 3B so far and find the faster music really invigorating! I'm also starting to work strongly with the metronome for scales and pieces. I never paid that much attention before, playing with the metronome, I used to just listen to the tempo and count it in my head. This is a nice change.

I'm looking forward to summer and having more time to play. Two weeks ago I had my new piano delivered, a Clavinova 565 grand and it is GORGEOUS. I absolutely LOVE it!!! Still have my U1 as as well, so it's the best of both worlds for me. I find myself playing a lot more, and my goal is to get through 3B by Sept. so I can start level 4 in lessons.

Brian, congrats on your progress! Great to see everyone still here plugging away!

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: ebonykawai] #2532401
04/20/16 12:27 PM
04/20/16 12:27 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Great to hear from you folks!

I concur, Level 3B should not be missed, as it builds technique that you will need going forward, especially the last unit which introduces 16th notes.

I'm basically through half of Level 4, and as I mentioned above I'm going to spend the majority of my time the next few months in the Developing Artist Book 2.

My plan is to start up Level 4 in the early summer, and by the end of 2016 to be finished both Level 4 and DA Book 2.

That will leave Level 5 at the start of 2017.

Hey EbonyKawai, how about about some pics of your new 565? smile

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2532520
04/20/16 07:48 PM
04/20/16 07:48 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Bri, I have DA book 2, as well, I'm dying to play some pieces in there! A few I've already played like Beethoven Eccossaise and Sonatina in G, they're not bad at all. It's a REALLY nice change to be able to play original forms, though to its credit, PA does have some as well. But I really like the Developing Artist series, a real breath of fresh air.

Don't mind if I do, LOL, here's some pics. The room has not great lighting in the morning, so the wall color often comes out weird, but here's the new baby, regardless! 3hearts

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm madly in love!!!!!!!!

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: ebonykawai] #2532668
04/21/16 10:48 AM
04/21/16 10:48 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Great setup. Love your cat as well! smile

I see you have the iconic 1849 photo of Chopin. Two questions:
1) Where did your buy this photo?
2) What are the other two photos you have behind the piano? Can't quite make them out...

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2532689
04/21/16 12:05 PM
04/21/16 12:05 PM
Brighton, UK
TrevorM Offline
TrevorM  Offline

Brighton, UK
HI guys

It's been a long time since I checked in. A little vacation plus laziness, mostly! smile

Loving the new piano, ebony! Reminds me of the big old grand that I used to have lessons on as a child.

Re: skipping 3B. My teacher actually skipped me from 2B to 4. I presume because the pieces offer a bit more of a challenge. I don't think skipping 3B is a problem if you have a teacher to guide you. I expect it'd be more of a problem if you're skipping both the pieces in 3B AND not getting the technical information taught to you in some other way. Say, if you're self-teaching.

Re: going back to 2A pieces. In my case, I was looking again at pieces from the accompanying repertoire books that I hadn't properly played before. Or, had played a bit of and thought "This is a bit hard, I'll try that again later." And then never did. I'd never practiced them, and they were definitely easier! smile

Anyway, must get some practice in again tonight. I've fallen out of the routine and finding it very difficult to get back in again! Tips welcome!

Roland F130-R
Currently working on:
- Sound of Emotions
- Piano Marvel 3C
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2532708
04/21/16 12:50 PM
04/21/16 12:50 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by BrianDX
Great setup. Love your cat as well! smile

I see you have the iconic 1849 photo of Chopin. Two questions:
1) Where did your buy this photo?
2) What are the other two photos you have behind the piano? Can't quite make them out...

I print all my pics, or at least Office Max does, LOL. On glossy photo paper, an 8X10 is about $1.50. I just google what I want, download the largest and best one I can find, then tweak it in Photoshop so they come out nice. Young Brahms is on the top, Clara Schumann below. If you want them, shoot me an email at ebonykawai@gmail.com, I'd be happy to hurl them over!

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TrevorM] #2532710
04/21/16 12:52 PM
04/21/16 12:52 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Originally Posted by TrevorM

Re: skipping 3B. My teacher actually skipped me from 2B to 4. I presume because the pieces offer a bit more of a challenge. I don't think skipping 3B is a problem if you have a teacher to guide you. I expect it'd be more of a problem if you're skipping both the pieces in 3B AND not getting the technical information taught to you in some other way. Say, if you're self-teaching.

Agreed!! They know where you're best placed, the teacher is always the best guide. smile

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: ebonykawai] #2532857
04/22/16 05:30 AM
04/22/16 05:30 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Completely agree on this as well.

In fact, my teacher has already mentioned that Level 5 is not completely necessary, as by then I'll have the basic knowledge and she can guide me the rest of the way.

However, being the stubborn and focused person that I am, I have insisted that I will complete all five levels being I'm done with Faber, since so few students ever do this. Besides, I'm already spending about 50% of my time outside of the core books in level 4.

One mild nice surprise; I was preparing my Developing Artist Book 3 for later this year/early next year. It seems that I have already passed two pieces, since these were both in PA Level 4.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: ebonykawai] #2533937
04/25/16 07:02 PM
04/25/16 07:02 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M

Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Hi Mario! I just started 3B myself about a week and a half ago! I don't know why it would be recommended to skip to 4, as 3B introduces minor keys, major and minor triads and chord inversions, unless you're coming from the end of Adult 2, which does cover those.

I really like the techniques in 3B so far and find the faster music really invigorating! I'm also starting to work strongly with the metronome for scales and pieces. I never paid that much attention before, playing with the metronome, I used to just listen to the tempo and count it in my head. This is a nice change.

I'm looking forward to summer and having more time to play. Two weeks ago I had my new piano delivered, a Clavinova 565 grand and it is GORGEOUS. I absolutely LOVE it!!! Still have my U1 as as well, so it's the best of both worlds for me. I find myself playing a lot more, and my goal is to get through 3B by Sept. so I can start level 4 in lessons.

Brian, congrats on your progress! Great to see everyone still here plugging away!

Hi Ebony,

Looks like we're working at the same pace because I remember our starting 3A at more-or-less the same time. Good to know that we are not going too fast or too slow.

I am too liking the faster pieces in 3B. At last feel I am somewhat of a pianist.

Congrats on your new piano. It looks gorgeous. It must be such a pleasure to play it.

Re. not skipping 3B here's my two-penny worth. I am one of those people who like to do things completely and feel completely guilty or unsure when they start skipping things; it would make me feel that it would be the beginning of an end to my piano playing. I think I would have this feeling regardless of whether or not I had a piano teacher. Also my experience with teachers has led me to not put my full trust in them and their ability to judge (in part because I would not know them too well). Also my experience has led to believe that they are more inclined towards steering you to their own way not because it is necessarily the best way (even in their opinion), but because it is the way they are most comfortable with. This may or may not be in your interest.

Page 31 of 50 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 49 50

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Music on i_heart_radio
by Handyman. 01/16/19 04:54 PM
How do you upload mp3 files?
by Vilhelm Moqvist. 01/16/19 04:17 PM
DGX-660 And Recording Vocal Track
by ndmuscutt. 01/16/19 03:56 PM
Yamaha CFX and Liszt Sonata in B minor
by Rich Galassini. 01/16/19 02:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,610
Posts2,782,498
Members92,126
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission