Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
112 registered members (ando, anotherscott, Aves, anamnesis, akc42, 7uturu, ahumdrumoflife, 26 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 31 1 2 27 28 29 30 31
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: PianoStudent88] #2641687
05/09/17 10:44 AM
05/09/17 10:44 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Hi PianoStudent88!

Yes, I am also using the Faber Developing Artist Book 3 as a supplement, however I have decided to pause from this book until I finish Level 5. The reason for this is that I feel most of the pieces in that book are more advanced than the remaining pieces in Level 5.

I'm very confident that my teacher will help with this transition. It's more of a mind game with me, that is, no more of "I need to pass this piece to get to the next one" thoughts.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2641697
05/09/17 11:28 AM
05/09/17 11:28 AM
Brighton, UK
TrevorM Offline
TrevorM  Offline
Brighton, UK
I'm not really following the Piano Adventures method at the moment, but I am dipping into the accompanying books. In particular, I've returned to learn Pure Imagination in the Level 4 Popular repertoire book. I've returned here to offer a little tip if you have an iPad: Check out the Piano Adventures iPad app!

It doesn't have much for the higher levels (the "Popular" book is the only one available at the moment from level 4), but it's been a fantastic boost to my learning. I wish it was available when I was working through the Adult All-in-One books.

Book packs are not cheap at face level but they're SO worth it. Each book pack has a free piece to try out. Anyway, enough gushing! There's a pretty good (long) intro here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoO0dcYOdag

Roland F130-R
Currently working on:
- Sound of Emotions
- Piano Marvel 3C
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2645491
05/20/17 06:58 PM
05/20/17 06:58 PM
Oregon, USA
D
dancingfish Offline
dancingfish  Offline
D
Oregon, USA
I have been working slowly through unit 2 of Faber PA Adult book 2. I even found myself avoiding it and spending more time working on other things, such as Fundamental Keys pieces, and I think/know it is because section 2 focuses on pedal. I'm not used to using pedal much, if at all, so far. I never got to the stage where I learned it in my childhood lessons, and my tendency since coming back has been to avoid it and play as legato as I can without it. I know it is a useful tool/technique, and yet I couldn't get over the concern that if I used it, it might end up hiding flaws in my playing that I would no longer hear. And when I initially tried to use it, I wasn't very good at it and thus I didn't like how it sounded. Well, I've finally started working on the exercises in unit 2, and am determined that I will learn this skill and become better at it. It has helped a lot to watch the instructional video from Randall Faber on this technique. And so I'm moving forward again!

Linda
Kawaii CE220 | Pianoteq 5 Stage
In progress: Faber Adult All-In-One Book 2 | Fundamental Keys
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] XLVII
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: dancingfish] #2645843
05/21/17 09:00 PM
05/21/17 09:00 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Originally Posted by dancingfish
I have been working slowly through unit 2 of Faber PA Adult book 2. I even found myself avoiding it and spending more time working on other things, such as Fundamental Keys pieces, and I think/know it is because section 2 focuses on pedal. I'm not used to using pedal much, if at all, so far. I never got to the stage where I learned it in my childhood lessons, and my tendency since coming back has been to avoid it and play as legato as I can without it. I know it is a useful tool/technique, and yet I couldn't get over the concern that if I used it, it might end up hiding flaws in my playing that I would no longer hear. And when I initially tried to use it, I wasn't very good at it and thus I didn't like how it sounded. Well, I've finally started working on the exercises in unit 2, and am determined that I will learn this skill and become better at it. It has helped a lot to watch the instructional video from Randall Faber on this technique. And so I'm moving forward again!

Hi Linda. I wish the instructional videos existed a few years earlier, as it would have been a big help to me.

You have the right idea; concentrate on the skill at end and keep working on it until you get it right.

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2646231
05/23/17 01:29 AM
05/23/17 01:29 AM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M
Originally Posted by BrianDX
Originally Posted by Mario2015

I hope you continue to be here after you have finished.

That is a very good question Mario! I plan to monitor this thread indefinitely after completing Level 5 late this year.

I can tell you that after finishing Level 3B I feel that I got my mojo together, and that has continued for the next year or so.

I'm beginning to feel very uneasy about completing these books though. For almost 4 years its all that I have known. Still trying to process this.

Hi Brian,

That is is very good to know. Your insights and advice has benefited us enormously.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: PianoStudent88] #2646232
05/23/17 01:34 AM
05/23/17 01:34 AM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
BrianDX, some thoughts on leaving method books: I think the biggest change, at least it was for me, and I think I share some of your affinities for organization and systems, is that once you get into repertoire there tends not to be a linear and/or explicit plan of "these are the skills you will learn from this piece, and this is the order you should learn them in." In addition, the pieces tend to get longer so you will likely be spending more time on each piece. And finally, there may be several new skills you need to learn for each piece, rather than just one.

Do I understand correctly that you're also learning pieces from the Faber Developing Artist repertoire series? That seems like a good way to bridge from method books to solely repertoire, because it assures you to start out with that the repertoire has been linked to your Faber level.

Hi,

Would you explain what learning by repertoire's means?

If it means just playing pieces shouldn't you still be doing exactly what the Faber series does, and that is to learn the skills required to play the pieces first? I am not really sure how it could be done differently.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TrevorM] #2646235
05/23/17 01:41 AM
05/23/17 01:41 AM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M
Originally Posted by TrevorM
I'm not really following the Piano Adventures method at the moment, but I am dipping into the accompanying books. In particular, I've returned to learn Pure Imagination in the Level 4 Popular repertoire book. I've returned here to offer a little tip if you have an iPad: Check out the Piano Adventures iPad app!

It doesn't have much for the higher levels (the "Popular" book is the only one available at the moment from level 4), but it's been a fantastic boost to my learning. I wish it was available when I was working through the Adult All-in-One books.

Book packs are not cheap at face level but they're SO worth it. Each book pack has a free piece to try out. Anyway, enough gushing! There's a pretty good (long) intro here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoO0dcYOdag

Hi Trevor,

I know it is an amazing tool and have been using it to enhance my sight-reading skills by playing lower level tunes.

Unfortunately I can't really benefit from it for the pieces I am playing at level 4; I feel I am just one step ahead of when the bring the modules out. They brought out the 3b modules just when I finished 3B frown

BTW: I have a piano teacher for mainly correcting and advising on techniques.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Mario2015] #2651062
06/06/17 07:36 AM
06/06/17 07:36 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Hope all is well in Faber land smile

My update: Moving ahead to Unit 5 (Flat key signatures). This unit is fairly long with a total of 8 pieces to learn, either in B flat or E flat major. Most are either original form classics or original compositions by Nancy Faber.

My wife just started Level 3B; should be interesting to hear these pieces learned and played once more.

Take care,
Brian

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2657010
06/27/17 07:55 PM
06/27/17 07:55 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M

My update: Moving ahead to Unit 5 (Flat key signatures). This unit is fairly long with a total of 8 pieces to learn, either in B flat or E flat major. Most are either original form classics or original compositions by Nancy Faber.

My wife just started Level 3B; should be interesting to hear these pieces learned and played once more.

Take care,
Brian

Hi Brian,

You are making great strides.

I have to say that you have been an inspiration to quite a few of us. I am now in Level 4 and still at unit 1.

I now have a teacher who picked up on a fault with my piano technique. He thought I was using my wrist too much and so he has gotten me to do an exercise where I keep all ten fingers on the keys and then push down the appropriate finger for the note without lifting my other 9 fingers or without lifting the finger to strike the key; sort of like pushing the key down and then letting the natural spring back of the keys to push my finger up again rather than pulling the finger up. Gosh I am finding that a bit different. But now that I am getting used to it I notice that I can play scales much faster. I still can't reach the tempo listed as allegro in the Faber book. Brian do you reach that tempo before moving on?

I hope you choose to stay on in this forum and continue to be an inspiration to us.

Regards

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Mario2015] #2657014
06/27/17 08:01 PM
06/27/17 08:01 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M

Take care,
Brian

Hi Brian,

I have to say that you have been an inspiration to quite a few of us. I am now in Level 4 and still at unit 1.

I now have a teacher who picked up on a fault with my piano technique. He thought I was using my wrist too much and so he has gotten me to do an exercise where I keep all ten fingers on the keys and then push down the appropriate finger for the note without lifting my other 9 fingers or without lifting the finger to strike the key; sort of like pushing the key down and then letting the natural spring back of the keys to push my finger up again rather than pulling the finger up. Gosh I am finding that a bit different. But now that I am getting used to it I notice that I can play scales much faster. I still can't reach the tempo listed as allegro in the Faber book. Brian do you reach that tempo before moving on?

I hope you choose to stay on in this forum and continue to be an inspiration to us.

Regards

Just another update; he has gotten me to play a few very simple pieces using lead sheets. I am quite enjoying that. So much so that I treated myself to a Yamaha Clavinova CVP 709 which has all the nice voices and accompaniment. I have now pulled out some old fake books of mine (lead sheets) and have been practicing those in the little time I devote to the piano in the evening just for fun. I still do my main 45 minutes of learning from Faber in the morning before going to work.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Mario2015] #2658370
07/02/17 01:17 PM
07/02/17 01:17 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State

Take care,
Brian

Hi Brian,

Regards

Thanks Mario; Right now my wife and I are traveling through Scotland and having a great time. Will be back the middle of next week to keep on going toward the finish line.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Mario2015] #2661201
07/13/17 08:06 PM
07/13/17 08:06 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M

Take care,
Brian

Hi Brian,

Regards

Hi,

I am facing a bit of a dilemma. My teacher is quite a well known piano teacher in Sydney and has been giving me some advice on my techniques. But some of the advice runs contrary to what Randall Faber gives in his great YouTube videos. For example my teacher does not want me to use my wrist but just my arm weight and fingers but Randall says a lot about moving the wrist almost in a flowing motion which I thought was sound advice. Should I ignore my teacher's advice or should I ignore Randalls?

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2661237
07/13/17 11:48 PM
07/13/17 11:48 PM
W
Whizbang Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Ignore Randall's. He doesn't know you from Adam.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Whizbang] #2662310
07/18/17 08:33 AM
07/18/17 08:33 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Well I'm back after a month off. Moving into the final four pieces in Unit 5, all in Eb Major. These pieces are getting harder all the time. Adding multiple flats in the key signature takes a bit of getting use to.

P.S. I agree with Whizbang; if you trust your teacher go with him/her.

P.P.S. So Mario2015 you live in Australia? I was on a trip through Scotland in a group that included 22 folks from Australia; some of the nicest people I've ever been with. My wife and I hope to visit that part of the world some day.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2663506
07/23/17 10:22 PM
07/23/17 10:22 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M
Well I'm back after a month off. Moving into the final four pieces in Unit 5, all in Eb Major. These pieces are getting harder all the time. Adding multiple flats in the key signature takes a bit of getting use to.

P.S. I agree with Whizbang; if you trust your teacher go with him/her.

P.P.S. So Mario2015 you live in Australia? I was on a trip through Scotland in a group that included 22 folks from Australia; some of the nicest people I've ever been with. My wife and I hope to visit that part of the world some day.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the compliment.

When you come to Sydney we should definitely meet up.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Mario2015] #2668211
08/15/17 09:16 AM
08/15/17 09:16 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Update: Starting the final unit in the Faber series (Minor keys for F, Bb and Eb Major).

I found the scales for Eb Major in Unit 5 to be surprisingly easy, given the the three flats in this key signature easily flow through the fingers. The two "graduation" pieces in the Lesson and Performance books respectively will be a challenge for sure. My teacher and I are beginning to plan my "after Faber Piano Adventures" lesson plan, and some fun things are shaping up.

If anyone from Faber actually reads this thread, I strongly recommend that a second edition of Level 5 is long overdue. Technique and Sight-reading books should be added at the very least.

The fact that I can even play this stuff at a reasonable pace is tribute in part to the design of the Faber Piano Adventure series.

One fun future thing: When I complete Unit 6 (in 2-4 months) I will have a picture taken of my teacher and I, with all of the Faber books I have studied in front of us. I'll publish the picture here, mostly as a tribute to my wonderful teacher.

Hope to hear from the other Faber students soon.

Brian

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2668854
08/17/17 08:11 PM
08/17/17 08:11 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M
Update: Starting the final unit in the Faber series (Minor keys for F, Bb and Eb Major).

I found the scales for Eb Major in Unit 5 to be surprisingly easy, given the the three flats in this key signature easily flow through the fingers. The two "graduation" pieces in the Lesson and Performance books respectively will be a challenge for sure. My teacher and I are beginning to plan my "after Faber Piano Adventures" lesson plan, and some fun things are shaping up.

If anyone from Faber actually reads this thread, I strongly recommend that a second edition of Level 5 is long overdue. Technique and Sight-reading books should be added at the very least.

The fact that I can even play this stuff at a reasonable pace is tribute in part to the design of the Faber Piano Adventure series.

One fun future thing: When I complete Unit 6 (in 2-4 months) I will have a picture taken of my teacher and I, with all of the Faber books I have studied in front of us. I'll publish the picture here, mostly as a tribute to my wonderful teacher.

Hope to hear from the other Faber students soon.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Congrats!!! You've really made fast progress. Wow!!

Looking forward to seeing that pic of you and your teacher and Faber books.

I am still stuck on Unit 1 of Faber 4 (been so for the past 3 months). My teacher is curing some bad techniques so not in a hurry to progress. A good teacher is a blessing. He does not want me to focus too much on the Techniques and Artistry book but on the rest of the books, as he will be focusing on that during my lessons and recommending exercises as needed. Don't know if that is good or bad advice but since he has graduated from a music conservatory school in The Netherlands I guess he must know what he is talking about in terms of guiding me on my techniques.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2670168
08/24/17 12:36 AM
08/24/17 12:36 AM
V
vintagevt Offline
vintagevt  Offline
V
Just a quick hello and introduction. smile I was a never-ever, started piano at the beginning of January. Currently using Adult Piano Adventures All-In-One Book 1 and taking lessons with a teacher. Presently in Unit 14 so slowly nearing the end of Book 1. For the last couple months we've been mixing the book with other stuff (simplified versions of Hedwig's Theme, Phantom of the Opera, etc.), supposedly b/c she wants me to have more time playing before moving on to Book 2 so this is an attempt to slow down and have more time to build muscle memory. Anyhow, hello!

Last edited by vintagevt; 08/24/17 12:53 AM.

Roland FP-30
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: vintagevt] #2670938
08/27/17 08:17 PM
08/27/17 08:17 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M
Originally Posted by vintagevt
Just a quick hello and introduction. smile I was a never-ever, started piano at the beginning of January. Currently using Adult Piano Adventures All-In-One Book 1 and taking lessons with a teacher. Presently in Unit 14 so slowly nearing the end of Book 1. For the last couple months we've been mixing the book with other stuff (simplified versions of Hedwig's Theme, Phantom of the Opera, etc.), supposedly b/c she wants me to have more time playing before moving on to Book 2 so this is an attempt to slow down and have more time to build muscle memory. Anyhow, hello!

Welcome to this forum Vintagevt.

Best to go at slow pace and learn things slowly. Now when I start to learn a piece I do so at a very slow tempo and get all the dynamics right as well as playing as evenly as possible. Then I slowly build up the tempo. This invariably leads to my taking a long time to learn a piece but when I do finally pass it it is near perfect.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: vintagevt] #2671048
08/28/17 10:37 AM
08/28/17 10:37 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Originally Posted by vintagevt

Welcome vintagevt!

Sounds like you are making very good progress. Let your teacher be your guide as to when you have achieved the required skills to move onto the next level. You will find I think that Faber skills are additive and each layer of skills will help in the next level of playing. That IMHO is one of the best features of the Faber system. I know that other method books try to do the same thing; for me Faber has been the best so far.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2672946
09/05/17 12:29 PM
09/05/17 12:29 PM
São Paulo Brazil
C
Carlos Santos Offline
Carlos Santos  Offline
C
São Paulo Brazil
Hi friends My name is Carlos from Brazil, Im 34 yers old

I'm some months just following this thread. Brian, Mario and all insprired me to keep learning piano.

I started my piano journey in 2011, when I had bought a Yamaha E423 keyboard. I started to learn with Learm and Master Piano DVDs. It helped me to begin to learn. But some months later I've stopped due work demands. Late 2015 I sold my keyboard.

This year the desire to learn piano returns, but now I wanted a 88 keys digital piano. I started to search models and brands and in the meantime I heard about Alfred's method. I bought a Casio Digital Piano and then started to search Alfred and Adult Methods.

I was in betwen Alfred, Hall Leonard and Faber Adults All in One methods. Then I've found piano world and the Faber enthusiats. Then I chose Faber.

Now I'm on Faber AIO Adult PA Book 2 ,unit 08 and working on Prep Piano Literature. And I hope achieve the levels you guys are now.

Hugs

Carlos Santos

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Carlos Santos] #2673039
09/05/17 08:01 PM
09/05/17 08:01 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M
Originally Posted by Carlos Santos
Hi friends My name is Carlos from Brazil, Im 34 yers old

I'm some months just following this thread. Brian, Mario and all insprired me to keep learning piano.

I started my piano journey in 2011, when I had bought a Yamaha E423 keyboard. I started to learn with Learm and Master Piano DVDs. It helped me to begin to learn. But some months later I've stopped due work demands. Late 2015 I sold my keyboard.

This year the desire to learn piano returns, but now I wanted a 88 keys digital piano. I started to search models and brands and in the meantime I heard about Alfred's method. I bought a Casio Digital Piano and then started to search Alfred and Adult Methods.

I was in betwen Alfred, Hall Leonard and Faber Adults All in One methods. Then I've found piano world and the Faber enthusiats. Then I chose Faber.

Now I'm on Faber AIO Adult PA Book 2 ,unit 08 and working on Prep Piano Literature. And I hope achieve the levels you guys are now.

Hugs

Carlos Santos

Hi Carlos,

Welcome to this wonderful forum.

I'm also one of those starter-stoppers and this is my third foray into piano learning. I've stuck with it for three years I think and this has been the longest stretch. I think it is because of the Faber series that I have stuck with it. The progress in Faber is very slow and steady and before you know it you are playing pieces you couldn't even imagine playing. I did most of my learning on my own but now that I have reached Level 4 I decided to get a teacher who is now focusing on getting my piano playing techniques fine-tuned and in some case completely overhauled.

BTW I also did the Alfred adult series but I found it focused too much on playing just harmony in the left hand. Also the progress was not very smooth and so gave it up and gave up piano. I had a teacher at that time but she was not very good; did not focus too much on my technique and had my on some classical pieces which were way beyond my level.

Last edited by Mario2015; 09/05/17 08:02 PM.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Mario2015] #2681016
10/10/17 09:08 AM
10/10/17 09:08 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Hello fellow Faber students!

Well it's been quiet around here; I hope we still have a few folks who follow this thread.

As far as my own progress, I am down to 5 pieces to go before finishing the Faber series. The last piece I just finished, Bearcat Boogie, is an example of why I love these books so much. I spent 6 weeks working on this with my teacher. In addition to having multiple flats in the key signature, this piece features 4-note chords stretching for 10 measures, in addition to multiple passages of syncopation with triplets thrown in for good measure. By the end of last week I was playing this at a good pace with very few mistakes if any.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2684175
10/22/17 07:33 PM
10/22/17 07:33 PM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M
Hello fellow Faber students!

Well it's been quiet around here; I hope we still have a few folks who follow this thread.

As far as my own progress, I am down to 5 pieces to go before finishing the Faber series. The last piece I just finished, Bearcat Boogie, is an example of why I love these books so much. I spent 6 weeks working on this with my teacher. In addition to having multiple flats in the key signature, this piece features 4-note chords stretching for 10 measures, in addition to multiple passages of syncopation with triplets thrown in for good measure. By the end of last week I was playing this at a good pace with very few mistakes if any.

Hi Brian,

Yes it has gotten a bit quiet here.

It is so wonderful that with the Faber series you gradually progress and before you know it you are playing pieces which are so rich and complicated but it does not seem as daunting as it would have been a year ago.

Would I ask a favor of everyone. Would everyone just say 'hello' to let us know you are still alive here.

I have just finished Unit 2 of Series 4. Taking a bit of time.

I am alternatively learning how to play jazz with my teacher and so busy learning some of the easier of the jazz chords with two hands and how to play them and incorporate the melody. We are using pieces from the so called fake book i.e. the books that give you simple one note melody along with the chord symbols and I need to play this and make it a bit richer by incorporating more notes. It is an interesting journey but quite difficult as you are improvising while playing.

Last edited by Mario2015; 10/22/17 07:36 PM.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Mario2015] #2684182
10/22/17 07:53 PM
10/22/17 07:53 PM
Oregon, USA
D
dancingfish Offline
dancingfish  Offline
D
Oregon, USA

Would I ask a favor of everyone. Would everyone just say 'hello' to let us know you are still alive here.

Hi Mario and Brian!

I am still alive and (sporadically) here. I have not had much time for piano the last three months. If I'm lucky, I'll have 5-10 minutes a few times per week, just enough to sit down and play something I already know, in hopes of keeping my fingers lubed up. Have not been able to work in the books, but I want to be able to get back to it soon, as I really miss making progress.

Linda
Kawaii CE220 | Pianoteq 5 Stage
In progress: Faber Adult All-In-One Book 2 | Fundamental Keys
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] XLVII
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: dancingfish] #2684211
10/22/17 09:22 PM
10/22/17 09:22 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Good to hear from you Linda!

I just started the last piece in the Lesson Book. There are two pieces left to study in the Performance Book, and then that's it. Probably will be done by mid-December. At that point I'll take a pulse to see if there are enough interested folks to keep this thread going into 2018.

Take care,
Brian

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2684245
10/22/17 11:32 PM
10/22/17 11:32 PM
J
John BC Offline
John BC  Offline
J
Hi

Don't post here too often, but working my way (with my teacher) through Book 3B. Still enjoying it and slowly getting more confident. And still finding it hard... smile

regards

John

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2684313
10/23/17 07:09 AM
10/23/17 07:09 AM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C
Tennessee
I'm starting Faber this week so glad this thread popped to the front page. I'm a bass player trying to learn new tricks on the piano and look forward to reading this thread and stopping by with an occasional progress report (assuming I do make progress). Joined a similar thread on the talkbass forum for the Hal Leonard Bass Method books and it was good to have a group to hang out with online in the same method books. Piano is hard but I look forward to playing every day. It doesn't seem like practice, it's just something I enjoy doing so I hope that will always be the case.. While bass was self taught (still play each day) I have a teacher for piano and she likes the Faber series so here I go. We're using the advanced beginnner series so I've got a 4 books lesson, sight reading, theory and the other one.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 10/23/17 07:10 AM.

Started Playing October 1, 2017. First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Accelerated Piano Adventures Book 2 For The Older Beginner. Yamaha P-115.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Chili_Time] #2684706
10/24/17 03:39 PM
10/24/17 03:39 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Hi John BC and Chili Time. Good to have you here smile

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2684813
10/25/17 12:39 AM
10/25/17 12:39 AM
M
Mario2015 Offline
Mario2015  Offline
M
Hi John BC and Chili Time. Good to have you here smile

I'll second that.

I've been here a few years now and have found the interactions positive and quite useful.

Linda, hopefully you will be back on track soon. Good to know you are still playing albeit for a short time. Keeps those brain connections alive.

Page 29 of 31 1 2 27 28 29 30 31

Moderated by  BB Player 

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
La fille aux cheveux de lin C.A. Debussy
by Fornion. 08/16/18 09:11 AM
A MILLION DREAMS - Solo Piano Cover
by Handyman. 08/16/18 08:42 AM
In search of Barenboim's sound.
by PianoStartsAt33. 08/16/18 06:51 AM
Adjustable Stool Recommendations
by DavidWB. 08/16/18 01:28 AM
Best way to accept credit / debit card payments
by RyanThePianist. 08/15/18 09:38 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,918
Posts2,739,097
Members90,780
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission