2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2295611 06/27/14 02:05 AM
OP Offline
I've been practicing the piano for at least 90 mins a day for the last year but have to go abroad for a month, and the destination had no piano. I'm concerned about atrophy. Is there anything I can do to keep myself sharp, or alternatively, when I get back, how long will it take to get to where I am now again? I took four days off once due to illness and was horrified with myself when I got back on the bench. I'm really concerned.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I'm also going on vacation for a month now, and will have little, if any, opportunity to play the piano during this period. I usually do this every summer and I don't think it's a big problem. The first couple of days my fingers feel a little stiff, but I very soon get back to normal. And I usually practice just 30 - 40 minutes a day.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
If you practice seriously when back, you probably will be in better shape than before in a week . You sound horrible also because your ears sharpen up during the break. Don't worry about it but use it to get to a higher level than before

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Rythm tapping? Solfeggio?

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Carry the score around with you and do mental practice.

Listen to recordings of the pieces (that you're working on) and follow along by reading the score. Then once its firmly in your memory, read the score and imagine how it sounds like without the recording. It also helps to visualize fingering.

I do this when I have to spend time away from the piano. I always find I play better when I'm back at it.

Last edited by noobpianist90; 06/27/14 03:35 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Also, for your last few practices before you go away, practice your pieces (both ones that are polished and ones that are more in-progress) slowly. You might also do a little hand separate practice as well. You don't want your last run-through of these pieces to fast and sloopy, but instead slow and deliberate. This should help when you come back from your vacation.

Then, when you get back to the piano, start out slow and deliberate. For example, if you have a piece that you were able to play from beginning to end at the desired tempo, the first time back to practice play it in sections, going over tricky spots carefully. Just give yourself a lot of time to ease back into the music especially in the first practice.

I think if you do both of these things and focus on slow playing, you'll find that it's easy to get back into the music, and the break will also end up having done you some good.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks a lot for the advice. Playing slow before I go sounds especially useful.

OP Offline
I just got back from holiday. I sat at the keyboard and was horrified that I got a scale wrong. But about 10 minutes later I was playing stuff without really understanding what my hands were doing! It's a weird feeling. It was entirely muscle memory, which isn't good, but at least I'm not at 0 again.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Pencil skirts and...
Welcome back! I hope that you had a fantastic vacation. I would say don't let it stress you out too much. I once had a several month hiatus due to an injury. I was miserable when I finally got back to the piano, there was so much rust. But within a month or so it was like I had never had a break at all. So my advice is just this, don't worry or stress out about it, focus on enjoying having access to your piano again, and with time and work everything will be back to normal (or better) before you know it. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pencil_skirts_and_
I just got back from holiday. I sat at the keyboard and was horrified that I got a scale wrong. But about 10 minutes later I was playing stuff without really understanding what my hands were doing! It's a weird feeling. It was entirely muscle memory, which isn't good, but at least I'm not at 0 again.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I would have suggested as an experiment that some time each day be spent learning a few compositions away from the piano and also practicing at least already learned music in one's mind however realistically you can do it.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Depending on transportation, I sometimes travel with a 61 key digital board and headphones, for hotel room practice.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission