2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Vid
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
Hmmmm,
Yet, no one's mentioned them.

I mentioned Beethoven but no one seems to agree.

It does seem odd that people are arguing harder for Scarlatti than Ludwig Van. It terms of composing for piano Beethoven was decades ahead of his contemporaries and even ahead of the piano makers. While his EARLY compositional style was derivative of Haydn, his piano writing was not and as he developed as a composer he went far beyond what anyone previously had conceived. I'm not a big fan of much Beethoven (there's a lot of angry music) but I'm well aware of how revolutionary his composing was. We start the Romantic period with middle Beethoven, and everyone that followed copied him. That's the definition of influential and original.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Just look at what Beethoven does with the sustain pedal, in the first movement of op.27/2, and the first movement of op.31/2, and the Adagio introduction to the last section of op.110.

-J

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rbeltz48
When I attended music school in the late 1960s/early 1970s, a piano performance major came up with some keyboard composer trivia.

Who were the 5 most original keyboard composers in the history of music?

I can only remember three of them: Chopin, Debussy and Bartok. Can anyone come up with the other two?

It was Haydn.......I think.....

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
F
F
Originally Posted by beet31425
Just look at what Beethoven does with the sustain pedal, in the first movement of op.27/2, and the first movement of op.31/2, and the Adagio introduction to the last section of op.110.

-J

What does he do with the sustain pedal in the first movement of op.31/2?

Last edited by Francisco Scalco; 06/27/14 06:51 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco

Maybe he's referring to the little cadenzette at the recap?

Michael

"Genius is nothing more than an extraordinary capacity for patience."
Leonardo da Vinci
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Parks
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco

Maybe he's referring to the little cadenzette at the recap?

For sure.

And BTW, people nowadays sometimes screw that up by thinking all they need to do is just put their foot down and play away. grin

Maybe that worked on the pianos of Beethoven's time, or maybe on some but not all of them. (Dunno, I've played fortepianos but never tried that passage. Gotta do it next time.) smile

But on modern pianos, fuhgeddaboudit. I don't at all mean ignoring the pedaling, but that you need to use your ear and be a little creative in how you put down and hold the pedal.

(And similarly in Jason's other two examples.)

P.S. to Parks: Nice job on what you called that passage. thumb
I sure wouldn't have thought of that.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've heard some performances where they just hold the pedal down. That passage really becomes something else then! whome

Personally I've tried to be more subtle with it.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
P.S. to Parks: Nice job on what you called that passage. thumb
I sure wouldn't have thought of that.

Thanks!

One of Beethoven's many great innovations is his ordering of events, putting things in odd places.

Originally Posted by Mark_C
You need to use your ear and be a little creative in how you put down and hold the pedal.

Yes, good!

When I held down the pedal the entire time for my teacher, he said to me 'You are very brave to do that.' It can be done, but it's not to be taken fro granted. Now, I do it the way you described it above.

Michael

"Genius is nothing more than an extraordinary capacity for patience."
Leonardo da Vinci
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Good point about op. 31/2.

Also you could add the rondo of op. 53. A remarkable moment -so typical of Beethoven's genius- but some pianists are more daring than others. I performed the sonata as a student, and if I had it to do over again... well I was young and a bit wary of blurring the tonic and dominant.

Jason
Originally Posted by Parks
When I held down the pedal the entire time for my teacher, he said to me 'You are very brave to do that.' It can be done, but it's not to be taken for granted. Now, I do it the way you described it above.

You might be able to do it the 'brave' way on a modern piano (some modern pianos) by adjusting the dynamics of the notes carefully. It would be a challenge, and it might force you to shape the phrase differently than how you'd really like to (and I doubt if it could be worth it), but it could be possible.

P.S. re the last mvt of the Waldstein (as per Argerichfan's post above): I think what I just described would usually be very possible for there, especially if you play the low octave 'C' quite firmly and then make the upper melody soft in relation to that (and the accompaniment figure of the R.H. even softer).

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

I think Beethoven, who was an admirer of Clementi's music, was inspired by Clementi's use of the sustain pedal. There are some pedal indications in Clementi that last for quite a number of measures, and to me, they are clearly the predecessors of some of Beethoven's "wash of sound" pedal effects.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by rbeltz48
When I attended music school in the late 1960s/early 1970s, a piano performance major came up with some keyboard composer trivia.

Who were the 5 most original keyboard composers in the history of music?

I can only remember three of them: Chopin, Debussy and Bartok. Can anyone come up with the other two?

JS Bach
Chopin
Franck
Debussy
Bartok

Would be my picks.. since it's not strictly "piano" but "keyboard."

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

Franck

Yes, he he certainly was original as well!

Which just makes it even more impossible to name just 5...

How do we even define and measure "originality" well enough to make such a list?

There are several composers from every era I can recognize even if I have not heard the specific piece before. Definitely more than 5.

Last edited by outo; 06/28/14 03:13 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by outo

Franck

Yes, he certainly was original as well!

Actually very much! If his two major triptychs for piano don't break a lot of new ground (masterpieces just the same), his utterly profound organ works are the greatest after Bach. (No 'IMO' necessary here, ask any organist.) His works directly inspired the greatest flowering in history for the instrument, going through Widor and Vierne, reaching an apogee with Dupre and Messiaen. All of their works would be inconceivable without Franck's pioneering efforts.

Interestingly, when Franck first played his 'Prelude, Fugue & Variation' at St. Sulpice, a certain composer by the name of Bizet was there and remarked to Franck: 'Your piece was exquisite. I did not know that you were a composer.'

Jason
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

Well, in that case, whoever wrote the first keyboard music would have to be on the list. I have no idea who that was.

And I'm afraid that would be impossible to find out. It seems the first known and surviving keyboard manuscripts before 1500 are for organ and the composers are not known (often church people no doubt). In the Middle of the 16th century first sets of written down well crafted compositions began to appear from composers like Cavazzoni, Merulo, Frescobaldi, Cabezon, Byrd, Sweelink.
(Source: Silbiger: Keyboard music before 1700)

Thanks - that's interesting to know.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
It seems the first known and surviving keyboard manuscripts before 1500 are for organ and the composers are not known (often church people no doubt).

From the Winchester Cathedral website:

The first organ of which any detailed record exists was built in Winchester Cathedral in the 10th century. It was a huge machine with 400 pipes, which needed two men to play it and 70 men to blow it, and its sound could be heard throughout the city.

Had heard about that when visiting Winchester several years ago, and I do wonder what the music must have sounded like, and who the composers were. Certainly given Winchester's importance in English history, and the fact that the cathedral has always attracted the cream of British church musicians, I can only imagine the glory of their music programme centuries ago, most of it as lost to us as the bones in any sarcophagus in the quire.

Jason
And farther back, the organ (water-powered hydraulis) was invented by the Greeks and adopted by the Romans (metal "keyboard" levers, stadium music); composers were not church people...one rumor suggests the Roman organ was initially eschewed in churches because it had accompanied Christian martyrdoms. The Roman organ became pneumatic and survived longer in Constantinople; reputedly Byzantine emperor Constantius sent an organ to Pepin the Short, King of the Franks, along with a Venetian organ builder in 757. Church organs appeared after 900AD.

Last edited by doctor S; 06/29/14 10:29 AM.

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I'm still a bit shocked that not a single composer from after the second world war has been brought up!

(Though I mentioned Lachenmann, as well as Cage previously....).

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by argerichfan

Franck

Yes, he certainly was original as well!

Actually very much! If his two major triptychs for piano don't break a lot of new ground (masterpieces just the same), his utterly profound organ works are the greatest after Bach.

My only complaint with him is that he wrote so very little for piano mad

Just need to play arrangements then...

Last edited by outo; 06/29/14 12:35 AM.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
I'm still a bit shocked that not a single composer from after the second world war has been brought up!

(Though I mentioned Lachenmann, as well as Cage previously....).

I'm struggling to think of who we could nominate.

Ginastera merely aped Bartok's late style (particularly the Mikrokosmos). Other than a few standouts like Op. 87, Shostakovich's piano works are among his weakest. Copland could qualify, but he already had his signature style in the 1920's.

Ligeti probably does deserve a mention; he said that he did not play the piano that well, but obviously he knew enough about the instrument to create interesting new problems for the pianist to solve in his Etudes. There's really no other music quite like it.. other composers wrote music with mathematical rigor, but in Ligeti's music the math itself seems to spring to life.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission