2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I would really appreciate it if you could all give your impression if this is something that could be fixed easily enough by a Roland service center or I really need to send this back. I'll have to find another source if I do, as the company has no others in stock. I really would prefer to have it repaired if it looks like a repair would be successful. But if the resolution is in doubt, I guess I will have to send it back.

I have recorded the resonance for your appreciation(not):

B1,

https://soundcloud.com/user783695884/b1-with-notes-above-and-belowwav

https://soundcloud.com/user783695884/b1wav

G2,

https://soundcloud.com/user783695884/g2-with-notes-above-and-belowwav

https://soundcloud.com/user783695884/g2wav

A little history here, https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2294093/Re:_All_about_Roland_FP-80_&am.html#Post2294093

Thanks all,

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Tuneless.

A couple of things I need to clarify.

This is direct wav recording to a USB stick?

I think what you are hearing is the resonance of the Harp or Frame of the grand pianos captured to make the Supernatural sound. This can be especially apparent at forte and fortissimo levels as you played here. Based on what I hear, I don't think that there's anything a technician can do to make changes to the piano. This is inherent to the SuperNatural piano engine. The next FP-50 will sound the same.

A couple of parameters you can adjust to attenuate the resonance you're hearing are the KeyTouch, as you're hitting the notes pretty hard in isolation. Try turning the Key Touch up to "heavy".

Also, as described on page 17 of your owners manual, in the EQ section, try adjusting the high mid eq to between 1-2K hz and dial in a cut of around 3db.

This should help.

Jay

Industry Consultant
S
S
Tuneless,
Your FP-50 isn't broken. As a former Roland DP owner, I can affirm: that's just the way Roland's SuperNatural piano engine behaves. It's a very cool technology, but it sounds a little weird from time to time. Some folks really like the SuperNatural sound, and some don't.

Small changes in velocity can produce a quite significant difference in timbre, and consequently some people find the SuperNatural pianos a bit artificial or hard to control. If you search the archives here you'll find a fair amount of discussion about this.

Meaning no offense, because you obviously have very sharp ears, as well as a methodical approach to investigating quirky software, I think your options will be:

a) get over the peccadillos of the SuperNatural piano and enjoy your new FP-50; or,
b) return it and choose a product from another manufacturer.

Kind regards,

Ben

OP Offline
Well, I guess I will make one more trip to a Sam Ash to see if the one they have on the floor does the same thing. If it does, I guess I will live with this, but it sounds to me, that if this was in the recording of the original piano, some one was delinquent in making sure all the fittings on the piano were tight. Not trying to be negative, but that is what it sounds like, and if I heard this on my acoustic, I would be searching for the cause. But let's not jump to conclusions until I can hear another FP-50.

My recordings were made using the USB stick in the back of the piano and rec mode of the FP-50 and with all personalization settings turned off, and ambiance off as well a good part of the time I was testing these keys. Ambiance being on or off made no difference.

I'll go do a factory reset just to be sure that makes no difference.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That is a resonance that is inherent to all acoustic pianos in varying degrees. Tight or loose fittings will have no effect on it whatsoever. It sounded like a normal FP-50 to me.

What you're hearing is the "brassiness" of a bass string struck hard, that is reverberating through the iron plate and soundboard of the piano. Without it, there would be no "fff" dynamics.

I've compared what you posted for recordings to recordings I've made of an FP-80, that has the same piano engine, and the lower notes exhibit the same characteristics to differing degrees depending on how the notes are played. In isolation, it will drive you nuts now you know about it, but in normal playing, you'll almost never notice that they are there.

The Speaker system and possible resonances in your room can accentuate these characteristics. But they are present in every SuperNatural piano.

Industry Consultant
S
S
Originally Posted by Tuneless
...if this was in the recording of the original piano, some one was delinquent in making sure all the fittings on the piano were tight. Not trying to be negative, but that is what it sounds like, and if I heard this on my acoustic, I would be searching for the cause.

Acoustic pianos all have some amount of variation in tone from note to note, but I'm sure that Roland and its competitors are very attentive to quality control during original sampling. I believe abrupt discontinuities of the kind you discovered are more likely caused by the "secret sauce" of modeling/processing/black magic that Roland's SuperNatural piano engine uses in conjunction with sampled piano sounds, than by artifacts embedded in the original samples.

I owned a Roland SuperNatural piano for four years, and found that certain notes sometimes "barked" at me a little bit when played ff or fff, as if small changes in the upper range of the velocity curve caused more tonal variation than would have occurred naturally in an acoustic piano. I think some other posters here characterize that quality as a "metallic" sound.

It didn't bother me in daily playing; I liked my Roland very much.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I actually like that kind of variation in timbre. If you think that's a lot of variation, you should try some sample libraries!

Greg.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission