2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 337 of 540 1 2 335 336 337 338 339 539 540
J
J
@Tararex
Great story, it is no wonder you are so chuffed.

I took my digital piano to my grandmother's so she could hear me play.
She broke down in tears, she was so happy there was someone to continue the music in the family as she sang soprano solos in the choir many decades ago, she was good enough to be on the radio a few times during church broadcasts.

It felt good to make her proud, even though the pieces are easy.

Jeremy

Bach's motto : Let not your right hand know what the left is doing.

Started learning in March 2014
Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-one Book 1
Originally Posted by Tararex
I have a teacher!

My first ever real piano lesson was this afternoon. Earlier via phone teacher had asked that I bring in some music I had been toying with - but I decided to go in empty handed and ask that we start from the beginning.

I learned more in 30 minutes about posture, relaxation, positioning, hand rotation, etc... than I could have thought possible in that span of time. Now assigned the C scale with correct fingering and Bach Musette in D - which I incorrectly thought I knew how to play. eek

Small talk on leaving - she mentioned most of her students are kids who don't want to be there and don't last long. I laughed and replied "Well, I want to play Liszt - so you'll have me as a student for quite a while." She reaches over and picks up a picture of herself as a young woman seated next to an older man and asks "Have you ever heard of Emil von Sauer?" I nod yes.

She continues, "This was my teacher at the Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria. He was taught by Von Sauer. Guess what, you're in the school of Liszt."

Yeah, "stoked" doesn't even come close.

Haha, great story, promising indeed smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@wimpiano

Thank you sir. Appreciate it much, I'm quite excited to begin.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Yea, Ragdoll! Hope you're off on an exciting journey!

Thanks Cathy, yes I'm very excited to have found this opportunity and to take advantage of it within months.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll

I have a teacher again YAY!

::: doin' the Snoopy Happy Dance:::

Yay!

Here's hoping there are no humans around to rain on your parade, as it were:

Thanks TallGuy, I'm pretty hard to discourage, big umbrella and a hardy carapace donchaknow grin

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
SwissMs, you've got moxie. Congratulations!

RagDoll, I know exactly how you're feeling now. Yay!

And thank you so much Earlofmar and others.

You too Whizbang - that's why I decided to start from scratch. Starting up the ladder from the first rung should keep the bruising to a minimum. So...Who's having the family reunion this year cousin?

Jeremy, Wonderful! I'm a grandmom and I'm proud of you too!

============

I live in a medium-small town in the middle of nowhere, GA. I was worried about finding a teacher at all let alone one with mad credentials.

I'd like to highlight what a shock to the system a professional teacher is after almost three years of self teaching. I discovered within minutes I know nothing at all about technique. By the end of the lesson my book-only limitations were patently obvious. I'm not saying self teaching is certain to fail as I enjoyed plunking away these past few years. I can "play" a number of pieces to okay standards. But that's all. I want more and that necessitates a teacher who knows the subject. Everyone here who says "get a teacher", well add one more to the consensus.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Another big week for this thread. Congratulations to so many. Thanks for the many interesting stories.

Week 119: I attend a concert featuring the Allant Trio, Beth Nam on piano, Anna Park on violin, Alina Lin on cello. All three have advanced degrees from Julliard. They perform some Haydn, Dvorak, and Murphy (modern) and get a couple of standing ovations from the crowd.

My piano week is on the quiet side. I practice and compose every day. On some days it is less than the hour that I aim for each day. It is mostly the same two pieces that I've been working on for a while, my new original Between Raindrops, and Killing Me Softly.

S
S
Great story, Tararex. I've seen the "get a teacher" advice given many times, but never with a personal revelation such as yours. I hope to see you contribute the next time we see a "should I get a teacher thread"!

Me: I'm back to working on on Fur Elise after giving it a two month rest while I was busting my hump getting a place ready for a tenant. My achievement is that after playing the first section, my teacher said "that was wonderful; Horowitz couldn't have done any better." I actually felt like a pianist walking out of that lesson!

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Who remembers Shel Silverstein's Melinda Mae?

The Dm Toccata is perhaps progressing more quickly than that; I predict that I will finish it in less than 89 years. My AOW was finally realizing that my teacher and the Alfred's editors are not completely out of their minds for assigning it and placing it in Alfred-3.

Still, it's plenty slow; I'm just taking a few lines each week.

Learner
A
A
Last night I started to learn Feed the Birds from Mary Poppins. It is perfect for the style of music I love to play,slow and lush and very sentimental.i'm planning to go to the library this week to pick up some more easy piano broadway books.i find it really helps to play tunes that are already familiar in my head.
This morning first thing I worked on my new tune.i'm very excited about it. I plan to work it really well before I bring it to my teacher.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Malkin,

...just taking a few lines each week

Nah, that's not so slow. I've just spent two weeks on essentially one measure of my recently started Debussy piece. Now, that's plenty slow. yawn cry

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - I am happy that you found a teacher that you are pleased with. My fingers are crossed for you that this one works out better! The right teacher makes all the difference.

Tarex- interesting story of your teacher's lineage. It sounds like she has a lot to teach you!

SilverKeys- Great praise from your teacher! It is nice to get positive feedback to let you know you are on track.

malkin - I remember that Dm Toccata from the Alfred 3 book. It is major finger puzzle, but once it clicks it will go together fast!

Well, I thought I was off to a swift start on my new Villa-Lobos piece (Samba Lele), but it seems I have some more foundation work to do. We spend 1/2 my lesson today getting the gestures on a four note phrase correct. Sometimes I think my brain and my fingers simply have a disconnect. It looks so simple when my teacher does it, but it doesn't consistently sound the same when I do it, and my left calf muscle tries to help. Seems tension will squirt out somewhere and my teacher spots it every time. So, my assignment this week, is to get this single phrase relaxed and correctly choreographed. So, I guess my AOTW is recognising that sometimes you don't know what you don't know until your teacher points it out!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
...Sometimes I think my brain and my fingers simply have a disconnect.

Sometimes it seems like they are deliberately not speaking to each other, doesn't it?!

...my left calf muscle tries to help. Seems tension will squirt out somewhere...

I love how you put this!

So, I guess my AOTW is recognising that sometimes you don't know what you don't know until your teacher points it out!

And that's why we pay 'em the big bucks, isn't it?!

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
RagDoll, I know exactly how you're feeling now. Yay!

It's a very good feeling for certain. I have been teacherless (except for short trials) for nearly 10 months now. AND it really shows!! smile

Looks like you have acquired a good one as well YAY for you too!

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - I am happy that you found a teacher that you are pleased with. My fingers are crossed for you that this one works out better! The right teacher makes all the difference.

Oh thank you SwissMS so am I. I had my first session with her Friday; it was both delightful and humbling. I had nearly forgotten how valuable a good teacher is. She is a former music teacher and a has very good way/style at the piano. Theory/harmony/technique... the whole enchilada. I think it will be an exciting ride. I'm inspired again. laugh

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS

So, I guess my AOTW is recognising that sometimes you don't know what you don't know until your teacher points it out!

And sometimes I don't know what I think I do know until I do it for my teacher and I realize that's why I need a teacher. ha
blush

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
SwissMs,

and my left calf muscle tries to help. Seems tension will squirt out somewhere

Isn't it weird how that happens? Same thing with the toes on my left foot...sometimes I realize they are all scrunched up like a fist....often happens when I have worked hard to get hands to relax on a difficult passage. Weirdo piano stuff happens!

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I spent the week in Toronto at a conference (Media Ecology) and presenting a paper there could be considered an accomplishment. Making the bus tour to Niagara Falls was spectacular but probably not an accomplishment. I'd never seen the falls up close and personal and their power and beauty cannot be denied. We arrived home at 5:15 and the piano party (my teacher's adult group) was scheduled for 7PM. I knew I could choose not to show up or to show up and not play but a commitment is a commitment. I arrived at her house at 630 and she let me run through my piece (Soaring by American composer Jennifer Linn) to warm up. I played my contribution and it went very well...I hardly noticed my own mistakes. I also played a duet with a fellow student that we'd been practicing but we had never played it together. We started and ended together and had fun making music. Then after an evening of contemporary music (our theme for this party) we drank wine and enjoyed the moment.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
My AOTW is just having a blast playing and my teacher being impressed! Pedal work keeps improving. I will try to make another recording for the piano bar.

C
C
I've reached half way thru my first piano book, Agay's Joy of First Yr Piano! I don't think I'll move as quickly thru this latter part...it's getting hard! ;))

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
Page 337 of 540 1 2 335 336 337 338 339 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission