2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 7 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2293412 06/22/14 01:15 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Eight chorales were composed yesterday, and these are the last of them. Enjoy. smile

#20:

[Linked Image]

#21:

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ok,

I can't help but comment on this.

What is the purpose of so many postings, day after day, after day? You get very few comments overall to all your threads, your works are 1 pagers (most of them), and there's no comment from you about your works. Sometimes I've commented in some of your works that I thought (personally) that they were more interesting that the rest, but this is getting a bit too much.

Ok, so you composed 8 chorals yesterday (some kind of assignment from school? grin ) Why not post all 8 of them in the same thread and save some space and efforts from multiple clicks?

After over and over again telling you that it would be best to offer a recording, you've yet to do so in your endless threads.

Certainly it provides a little life to this forgotten place of PW, but...

Can you give a proper explanation, since you're going public with your works, about all of this?

I'm a little annoyed (obviously), as well as curious on this.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Nikolas, I don't see any harm if this forum gets one or more new topics posted each day - whether it is from Polyphonist or others doesn't matter. His compositions are well crafted and interesting, and are obviously the work of a professional. As for the chorales I am very much a fan of the form and used to play through at least a little of J.S. Bach's 371 every day. It is better and easier to have new works in this forum spread out with one or maybe two per thread than posted all at once in one thread. Polyphonist gave a critique of my Södermalm Fantasy Ballade - and in fact he was the only person to give a response - and I intend to respond to at least some of his threads very soon having now become satisfactorily caught up on interesting topics posted in the other forums while I was absent.

On a different subject I wish the Members Recordings archived all the posts.

The recording of the Totentanz I commented on is something special yet after not too many months it will slip over the precipice.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Why not post all 8 of them in the same thread and save some space and efforts from multiple clicks?

The format I post them in is 2 per thread, and I intend to continue it. More might be overwhelming. As for writing 8 chorales at one time, I was waiting in an airport for an hour yesterday and had nothing to do. Don't like them? Don't comment.

After over and over again telling you that it would be best to offer a recording, you've yet to do so in your endless threads.

This is false. I actually have posted quite a few recordings in my threads, both in the OPs and upon request.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

This is false. I actually have posted quite a few recordings in my threads, both in the OPs and upon request.

True, but I think Nikolas was talking more about the Chorales. I can sympathize with his opinion, especially for such small works. (that is, of course, if you're able to record them -- and not at an airport grin)

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
I'm not able to record them, I don't have a piano.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why not post all 8 of them in the same thread and save some space and efforts from multiple clicks?

The format I post them in is 2 per thread, and I intend to continue it. More might be overwhelming. As for writing 8 chorales at one time, I was waiting in an airport for an hour yesterday and had nothing to do. Don't like them? Don't comment.
So... this forum is the dumb where you post anything you write while waiting for an hour in the airport? Cause this seems pretty much like what you're saying...

[/quote]I do agree, and I won't go into statistical details, but in all honesty it seems that you're doing it again.

You seem to misunderstanding what a forum is all about: It's about a community. If you post endless half page/full page/two page stuff you compose wherever, comment nothing about them and offer little discussion on other works as well (we have "fought" in the past a couple of times about this), then you are not acting like a part of this very community.

Your posts seems to be more fit for a blog rather than a forum, if I may say so.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Just so no one else gets confused...

So... this forum is the dumb dump where you post anything you write while waiting for an hour in the airport? Cause this seems pretty much like what you're saying...

smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
heh...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I assume that's what you meant. (?)

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P

So... this forum is the dumb where you post anything you write while waiting for an hour in the airport? Cause this seems pretty much like what you're saying...

What does the location where the piece is written have to do with anything?

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well,

First of all if you would be kind enough to address the whole post that could help things out a bit. But, ok...

To address your point: You're actually saying that the time spent in 8 (!) compositions, the place and the reason d'etre play absolutely no role in the quality of the composition, so as to think about using a single thread instead of 4. Ok... frown

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Nikolas,

I sympathize and actually agree for the most part. I have commented on a number of occasions that what gets posted here by Polyphonist is certainly not his best effort. I was following his own advice and staying away from these because I don't find the melodies particularly strong. However, his comment in another thread that compared to much of what gets posted here his compositions are gold was a bit conceited, but not entirely off the mark. I too wish there were recordings and given that Polyphonist uses Sibelius we know full well one can easily be produced, so his answer to that was a bit disingenuous. IMO he would be better served posting Sibelius' output than just sheet music.

Finally, after a few tangles with the guy I figured it wasn't worth the aggravation. I comment when I have something I feel might be useful, but it's not worth getting worked up about and once in a while he posts something that actually seems a bit inspired. The man has skills, that he doesn't deign to offer us his best work is a bit frustrating, but if his behavior hasn't changed by now, it isn't going to. This is a public place, only moderators (there's a job I wouldn't be interested in) have any power. Aren't you a mod for this forum, then again he's done nothing against any rules... Take a few deep breaths and let it go.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I do understand what you're saying, Steve, but there's a point to be made here, as I sort of said in my previous post: This is a forum, thus a community. I've seen your face, heard your music, saw your scores and I think that if we met we would have a beer (or a juice, or whatever) have some fun, etc. In fact I've met a few PW members and hope to meet more.

So, ok, polyphonist is not that type and he likes his privacy. This is fine.

But apart from meeting and knowing each other, there's the actual community feeling of a forum. what exactly is polyphonist offering with his posts? With his negative attitude to listening to any of us telling him the same thing again and again? I'm very much ready for an explanation on why he insists on not offering recordings and why he keeps posting like that, but as far his attitude is pretty much "I do as I please since I'm not breaking any rules".

No, his not breaking any rules per se, but he is breaking any sense of community. :-/

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
what exactly is polyphonist offering with his posts?

Music. Can't read music? Sorry, you're out of luck. Sometimes I post recordings and sometimes I don't. When I don't, a competent musician should be able to read the music - these scores aren't very complicated.

No, his not breaking any rules per se, but he is breaking any sense of community. :-/

What would you like me to do that I'm not doing? Write comments along with all my works?

There exist those who appreciate what I post here, and I am not planning to stop posting just to satisfy you.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In which case all that you're showing is that you're not here to actually interact with anyone, but rather to do as you please... By all means carry on. I was just sayin'...

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
I see you're not interested in carrying this conversation any further.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
But are you actually talking (exchanging posts... ok...) with me? I don't exactly see that. I don't see you eager to even consider changing anything, so what's the worth in carrying on with this?

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
I did say...

What would you like me to do that I'm not doing?

Be specific, please.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think it's rather clear, from my previous posts...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission