Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
123 registered members (AndrewJCW, atamgp, Animisha, Antihero, amyram, BethRH, AlphaBravoCharlie, Ankee, 24 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Casio PX-150 or another digital till around 1100$ (800€) [Re: PedrojbP] #2292789
06/20/14 11:03 PM
06/20/14 11:03 PM
M
MossySF Offline
MossySF  Offline
M

Originally Posted by PedrojbP
so you're just saying that if we add a good sound system (or headphones) , casio pianos are actually pretty good, is that it?

Latest Casio x50 actions are pretty good. The piano sound itself is subjective for everybody but any digital can be upgraded in this department by the use of software. Speakers in the PX150 are puny but I think you'll find this the case for most "stage/portable" pianos since there isn't much room for big speakers.

Depending on where you live and your level of computer skills, you can get software piano costs down even more. New Acer Chromebooks w/ Celeron 2955U CPU sell for less than $200 in the U.S. (Occasionally see it on sale for $180.) It only runs ChromeOS by default but if you can follow instructions, you can install Ubuntu Linux on it in order to run Pianoteq. There are also Intel NUCs and Asus Chromeboxes even cheaper (~$140ish) since they don't include display/keyboard/mouse but you'd need to be comfortable controlling a computer via VNC/remote desktop/etc.

You also don't need to immediately jump into the deep end with amps/speakers/external audio interfaces. I currently used my laptop's built-in audio + $20 2.1 computer speakers and it works pretty good up to 85% volume. 85% volume is already pretty fricking loud for playing at home so at this time, I'm standing pat. Cheap speakers may not accurately reproduce what you hear on headphones but luckily, I can adjust speaker position and Pianoteq config to get close enough.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Casio PX-150 or another digital till around 1100$ (800€) [Re: MossySF] #2292839
06/21/14 03:40 AM
06/21/14 03:40 AM
france
Z
zack! Offline
zack!  Offline
Z

france
IMHO, if you re a beginner, probably the sound difference will not really make a big difference (the preference in term of piano sample). Anyway, it will not prevent you to play well.

I think action and feeling "connected" with sound is more important.

The quest for the "perfect" sound is a syndrom for some users, but not for the majority. For example are you upset with sound quality in general, do you avoid using MP3 with compression, what level of HiFi equipment you have at home, in your car, etc.

For me, embdded sound generator are quite convincing, and realistic enough to play with pleasure and expression something.Try that, and as MossySF said, you can upgrade to external sound generator later (ie sofware from computer), to have this upgrade path, check for MIDI OUT / AUDIO IN to include your laptop as a new sound generato system. Then, think you have to start your computer, launch your sofware every time you want to play (do windows upgrades, etc).

Having a really good realistic (wide, rich, dynamic) sound experience (without headphone), will impact your budget. I know many people say they use headphones, but, I feel this quite "tiring" and not so confortable (especially if you are not alone, and you want to stay mobile), so personnaly I often play without headphone (even if "open" headphone is an improvement). In that case, you need to jump to "non portable" DP. Consider casio PX 850, or Kawai CN34 for example. If you want to upgrade a PX-150 to do so, you will need an AUDIO out and an AMP + dedicated speakers. Consider the "design" / "beauty" of an upgraded set too. So if playing without headphone, just for you, or more over to "fill" the room, portable slab will not be good.

But you can't have every think perfect for this price tag. You are 19 (perhaps a student requiring some mobility, playing in a small student room), and a beginner, I imagine a slab with low speakers + headphone should be OK for your kind of usage / constraints. So PX-150 could be a good choice, if you are intertested in explroing sound and accompaniement (for example for jazz impro, pop songss, etc) as something fun to do in addition to your "acadamic piano learning", upgrading to PX-350 is a good idea.

Even if you settle and consider an accoutic, or a DP as an accoutic replacement, having your slab as a complmentary instrument makes sens (silent playing at night, master keyboard for MIDI and your computer studio, gigging, etc).

But in any case, visit a shop and try casio (and other models), to make sure you buy somehting you like.

Re: Casio PX-150 or another digital till around 1100$ (800€) [Re: PedrojbP] #2292865
06/21/14 07:03 AM
06/21/14 07:03 AM
P
PedrojbP Offline OP
PedrojbP  Offline OP
P

Thanks guys, those are some pretty deep and useful advices.

Like you said, zack. I am 19 and currently studying medicine. I'll attend some piano lessons this summer to relearn the basics (like, read sheets etc etc) and then I'll most likely just practice at home, in my free time, to relax.

SO yeah, for now, like I said in a previous reply, I might use headphones or not a loud volume, so that I don't bother the neighbours. And just a few times I'll be able to put the volume loud and enjoy the playing.
As for the sound, I don't really know the difference between the brands, I still didn't have the time to visit a store yet, but I do value a good piano sound, although I would like a bunch of tones to have fun aswell.

Re: Casio PX-150 or another digital till around 1100$ (800€) [Re: PedrojbP] #2292868
06/21/14 07:20 AM
06/21/14 07:20 AM
K
kaanguner Offline
kaanguner  Offline
K

Am I the only one that find PX-150's speaker system bad. Like it's that bad that it's a must that you have to combo a monitor+pianoteq or a library?

Re: Casio PX-150 or another digital till around 1100$ (800€) [Re: PedrojbP] #2292877
06/21/14 08:26 AM
06/21/14 08:26 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
The cheaper Casios (and all budget DPs to an extent) are let down by their speaker system. This is probably fortunate because it's unimportant if you're using headphones, and if you do want room-filling sound of good quality, you can always plug into a better system of some sort (powered monitors/ PA/ hi-fi).

Since Casio keyboard quality is really very good - some users on this forum say it's the preferred option among budget to mid-range keyboards, and since the piano sound engine is probably pretty good (though I'm not personally familiar with them), you get a good deal from a PX-150.

As Beakybird said above, you can get some piano software and a speaker system and link the PX150 to a computer, and you've got a state of the art digital piano system for around €1000. That's good going!

If you're thinking of going that way, they keyboard feel and quality are the main considerations. But some people really want or need the entire DP to be in one portable package, without all the bother of software and external speakers. Then, obviously, you need to evaluate the whole package, as it comes.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Granados's Valse Poeticos
by StartwithBach. 10/22/19 03:34 PM
Popular Performer Series and Christmas Music
by StartwithBach. 10/22/19 03:27 PM
What grit for ivory for nonslippery feel?
by jinorden. 10/22/19 02:55 PM
Maybe Iā€™m not too old but I STINK!
by Mils. 10/22/19 02:25 PM
Good budget microphone for piano recording
by Ankee. 10/22/19 02:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,670
Posts2,882,070
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission