2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think we're confusing "cool" with "geektastic", which is pretty much the polar opposite of cool. But then, trying to be "cool" is what teenagers do in the playground, and shouldn't be part of the behaviour of any self-respecting adult...

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
R
R
We are clearly generalising from very different eras. In the same way you can't really make generalisations about the cool factor of a Mustang -since you might be referring to an 80s Mustang, whereas another is referring to the 1960s classic. So, while there are clearly some iconic products it is fair to say that the most prolific era of Roland products had a much more Tomy toy appearance. In my opinion they haven't quite shaken that look.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Mken
Originally Posted by dewster
Roland seems to be run to a significant degree by engineers, which makes it something of an anachronism. Yamaha seems to be run mostly by marketing types, which makes it a thoroughly modern company.

You write as if that is an inherently bad thing!

Look at the countries which are doing well economically, China, S Korea, Germany.

Look at the countries which are doing badly economically, USA, UK etc.

China, SK and Germany have professionals like engineers and scientists as their political leaders. While UK and USA tend to have slimy lawyers.

But dewster didn't mean it as a bad thing. Coming from him, this surely ranks as the highest possible expression of praise!

Originally Posted by Rappy
........there are clearly some iconic products it is fair to say that the most prolific era of Roland products had a much more Tomy toy appearance. In my opinion they haven't quite shaken that look.

Quite so. It's probably a cunning strategy: dastardly cunning.

Last edited by toddy; 02/25/14 02:33 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Had a chance to play both the RD 700 nx and the RD 800 yesterday. The instruments were side by side and I used a headset. My only concern was the action and the piano sounds.(only one mans opinion) While playing the 700 the action seemed to have offered more of a distance between initial strike and key bed. The 800 seemed lighter. I read a comment recently where someone felt the action on the 800 was heavier. I can understand why someone would get the impression that the 800 action is heavier. I believe it's because the keys respond quicker (which i think) makes it harder for you to throw your weight into the keyboard. So,perhaps one could over compensate by leaning in when it isn't necessary. The 800's action is very nice if you like running over the tops of the keys. As far as piano sound, the 700 sounded much more open, as if you can sense the sound in relation to it's environment. The 800 sounded compressed. The 800 did sound even top to bottom, where the 700 seemed to have one or two notes a little louder than others. Perhaps that's just one of the reasons that the 700 sounds more realistic. Roland claims that the internal pianos for the most part are the same. Maybe it's the DA conversion from the keyboard that is superior on the 700.
My 2 cents

C
C
Hi guys. This is going to sound like a petty question, but hang in there - have they switched back to a figure of eight (two pin) mains socket for the RD-800? I was considering the 700NX a few months ago, and one of the things that grabbed me was that it had a 3-pin Euro (or kettle) socket.

I know it sounds odd, but in a gigging scenario, there are always plenty of these leads about. I've hauled an A-90 around with me since they came out (well, three of them), and have always had to take a couple of dedicated mains leads just in case.

I play mainly rhythm and blues, and the keys tend to get a beating, hence why I've got three A-90's and am constantly building a gigging one out of spare parts. The time's come to upgrade, I think. The 700NX is on offer in several places in the UK, but I've not had a chance to play the 800 yet.

As a cheeky secondary question, I also used to play with a VK-7 on a second tier, but sadly broke a few keys whilst getting over-involved. Interested that the RD-800 seems to have the VK organs in there. Does anybody know whether the drawbars can be controlled via MIDI, so I could put in - say - a studiologic organ keyboard? Might be able to get away with a weighted action for an organ, but it's not ideal.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

C
C
By the way, I'm not all that convinced with the "tone color" knob. A lot of the videos seem to be focussing on it, but the ability to switch between different types of EP isn't something that's beyond the realms of a patch change. Unless I've missed something.

And sorry, I just jumped in and first-posted. I've been reading this site for a while with great interest. Been playing live for about 20 years, and only really use pianos, electric pianos and organs. Happy to meet you guys.

T
T
Originally Posted by Cessquill
By the way, I'm not all that convinced with the "tone color" knob. A lot of the videos seem to be focussing on it, but the ability to switch between different types of EP isn't something that's beyond the realms of a patch change. Unless I've missed something.

That knob is unfortunately portrayed as some kind of gimmick in some of the videos. The NX has a similar knob called "Sound Focus", which is used to to alter some parameter, like EQ or dynamic range, that makes the sound stand out more. It can be configured to do different things for each live set. It's occasionally useful for solos, I guess. I think the Tone Color knob on the 800 can be used in the same way, but there seems to be more parameters that you can assign to it now.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
C
C
Thanks for that, similar to what I was thinking.

Is the RD800 unavailable outside of the US at the moment? Have read about power socket concerns, so I didn't know whether it was being recalled. In the UK it's just disappeared off some websites, but with very little information. Secretly hoping they're switching over to an IEC socket.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Another decent RD800 demo if interested.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

A nice classical music demo:

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Since we have been talking about the coolness of Roland, I'm a little surprised no-one roped in the Jupiter 4 into the conversation....to support either side of the argument. This is the last word in cruddy design, silly logos and monstrously outrageous sound potential.

It was brought out in 1978 - years ahead of its time, and relatively affordable compared with an ARP, Oberheim, Moog or Prophet, which was all the competition back then, apart, I suppose from Yamahas CS series.

[Linked Image]

It had 'Compusonic ' written in big futuristic letters on top of it, if you please!

Who can fail to love Roland?

EDIT: Compuphonic, not Compusonic - they must have fancied Greek more than than Latin.....Cooler cool

Last edited by toddy; 06/01/14 05:54 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
G
G
I can't decide between the 700NX and the new 800, where/how did they cut almost ten pounds from the piano? Does that mean components are lighter plastic and less road-worthy?

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by grandpianodave
I can't decide between the 700NX and the new 800, where/how did they cut almost ten pounds from the piano? Does that mean components are lighter plastic and less road-worthy?
You should read other threads about RD800 smile

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
G
G
I have been reading them for the last day, I didn't see what exactly was changed to drop that much weight

B
B
I have been reading them for the last day, I didn't see what exactly was changed to drop that much weight

The main difference is the top cover is plastic as opposed to aluminum, probably some internal savings too.

Still feels robust, and no reports that it's easily damaged (unless you plug the mains lead into the XLR mad )

Roland RD-800, RD-700, SRX-02, SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, EV-5
G
G
The more I look, the less I find about specifics. That's really a lot of weight. Anyway, the reviews on sweetwater.com are hilarious. Roland really has the PR team turning out rave reviews. These 'people' conveniently needed to upgrade their 700 series pianos. For as accomplished as they claim to be, they are impossible to locate on google or facebook searches.... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RD800/

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think they are somewhat true. Makes sense that some RD700 owners upgraded to the RD800. However, I don't bother much with user reviews. These reviews can be overly positive when one buys a new instrument for two reasons; the honeymoon phase and the justification of their purchase. Or if they don't like it, they will rip it apart in a review to justify returning the keyboard. IMO I believe most of these reviews are a kneejerk reaction whether they love or hate the instrument. Its rare when you see a review after six months to a year of ownership.

But it you value these reviews, I think you will start seeing many more reviews, both good & bad, once the RD800 is re-released. I've owned the RD800 for months and Im still not comfortable giving it proper review as there is so much to still learn and figure out my likes and dislikes. Sure I like the action and sound very much, but that goes the same for my ES7. I think reviews need to focus on all aspects of the board for someone who has used it for a decent amount of time. It took me over a year of putting my ES7 through h-e-l-l that I can give some honest feedback about it.

In the meantime if you want to read a good "honest" review about the RD800, got to SOS http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr14/articles/roland-rd800.htm
or if you want some specific feedback, you can PM and I will try to answer your questions best I can. (OT: that goes the same for ES7)

G
G
What's the best price people have been able to secure a new RD-800?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
What's the best price people have been able to secure a new RD-800?

I paid $2,125US. 15% off is pretty easy to find if you shop it. Just be sure to ask for absolute best price wherever you go.

G
G
I had a guy at a shop offer me one for 2100 (US) so I think that's ballpark.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission