2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
41 members (almo82, Bett, cozmopak, Carey, doctor S, Burkey, accordeur, 12 invisible), 312 guests, and 389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Piano teachers do not accept digital piano
#2292183 06/19/14 02:16 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I'm looking for a piano teacher for my son who is just turning 5. I have a digital piano, and to me it seems that it should be OK for at least a beginners. But all the piano teachers I contacted required an acoustic piano instead of a digital one.

I really don't understand why they are so strict about this. I still don't know whether this is going to work for my son, and a piano is a big investment. Why I can't let my son start on the digital piano and buy a real one if he's really into it? I have been learning piano by myself on and off on the digital piano, and I have also practiced on a real piano in a few occasions. For me the feel of the digital piano is close enough to the real one. I did some research online, and find that at least for some teachers, for example, this one, believe that digital piano is OK for at least the first couple of years.

Do you think the requirement of these teachers reasonable? Do you guys suggest I keep looking for one who accept digital piano or you also think it's absolutely necessary to have a real one?

Thanks.

Last edited by bigsmile; 06/19/14 02:17 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano teachers do not accept digital piano
bigsmile #2292185 06/19/14 02:20 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Which digital do you have? Are the keys weighted?

bigsmile #2292186 06/19/14 02:25 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Digitals are fine; traditions are slow to evolve. The typical problem with digital is that students routinely neglect to play at/with the bottom of the keys--when the have their recitals on a grand piano, it is often pretty easy to tell who has a grand at home to practice on and who a digital. However, it is a tendency, that can be overcome and compensated for with the right approach by the teacher. Besides, there are sooooooo many other important things to learn about music and thinking than to be so concern with the limits of pianistic technique in the beginning stages.

The Monkeys #2292190 06/19/14 02:31 PM
B
OP Offline
B
It's a Casio Px100, it has weighted keys.

Actually, it was my wife who was contacting the teachers, and she told me she said "keyboard", instead of digital piano. I think that's probably the reason the teachers rejected it. We'll try ask them again. At any rate, considering we are living in an apartment, I really want to use the digital piano for the time being to be on good term with my neighbors.

bigsmile #2292193 06/19/14 02:37 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Yeah...pianists and teachers dislike "keyboards;" neighbours dislike acoustic grands. One has to make compromises in life and learning sometimes...

bigsmile #2292199 06/19/14 02:46 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Removed by OP because of redundancy.

Last edited by KurtZ; 06/19/14 03:03 PM.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
bigsmile #2292204 06/19/14 02:57 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the reply.

To be honest, I'm not that into classic music. I have no intention of entering my son into serious competitions, at least not before he show any sign of being talented at this, he's not the competitive type.

I like music myself, as I said, I learn piano by myself on and off. I mostly want to introduce my son to music. I also want him to be good at piano, but I'm not that keen about him being able to play difficult classic works, but just having a way of expressing himself through keyboard.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I just want him to be mediocre. I actually want him to be good, but I don't want him to just be good at playing difficult piano musics, but to be good at a broader sense, to be proficient in keyboard music or even music in general.

Last edited by bigsmile; 06/19/14 03:01 PM.
bigsmile #2292219 06/19/14 03:12 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I changed my post because it repeated too much of what was already posted. To me it sounds like you have a healthy and realistic mindset. May you and your son find the rewards in music making as it suits you. The PX-100 is now a little outdated but it's still a good usable starter unit.

I'll add that after 2 years of playing, I switched from a pretty good digital (Korg Triton) to a modest Korean upright. The Triton went unplayed for 3 years and is up for sale. I'm fortunate that I have a situation where volume control is not a big issue.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
bigsmile #2292228 06/19/14 03:42 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I am not a teacher but I think you should ask/ check with your son.

If he gets inspiration to play also from a DP, then it's probably fine. If he stops playing in a few months, it might be that he is bored with the DP sound.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
bigsmile #2292239 06/19/14 03:58 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Yes, I'm sure that with many of those teachers, saying "keyboard" implies non-weighted keys, and less than 88. A keyboard is generally not going to last them 2 months, whereas a digital piano could last a couple of years. The Casio, while an older model (and not as good as the entry-level Casio PX-150s out now), it's still decent enough.

Call back some of those teachers and clarify that it is a piano, with 88 weighted keys. You may still find some rejection, but you only need one teacher smile . Many teachers aren't up on digital pianos in the past 10 years and they've made huge strides. Again, your model is not cutting edge, but it is still better than what used to pass for digital pianos 10 years ago.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
bigsmile #2292272 06/19/14 04:44 PM
It's discussed in the link below, which also leads to a teacher's in depth assessment.
link to discussion and teacher assessment

keystring #2292337 06/19/14 07:22 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I have read Rachel Iris Jimenez's article, it give me great confident in letting my son use digital piano. Thanks for the read.

Originally Posted by keystring
It's discussed in the link below, which also leads to a teacher's in depth assessment.
link to discussion and teacher assessment

bigsmile #2292407 06/20/14 01:19 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
If you look hard enough, you'll find piano teachers who teach on a digital. Sometimes that's all a piano teacher can afford to buy.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
bigsmile #2292426 06/20/14 02:09 AM
I don't think the problem is whether teachers use digitals in the studio, but rather whether they will accept to teach students who use digital pianos.

bigsmile #2292452 06/20/14 05:01 AM
M
M
I teach on a digital. You're fine.

I don't agree with those teachers at all, but hey, I only started teaching a year and a half ago.

I've got my Advanced Diploma, am halfway through year 2 of the Bachelor, and all my home practising has been done on a digital piano. My recitals have been on grand pianos. Yes, digital and acoustic pianos are a bit different, but the skills translate from one to the other.

I hope you find a reasonable teacher.

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
A454.7 #2292462 06/20/14 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by A443
The typical problem with digital is that students routinely neglect to play at/with the bottom of the keys...

This part puzzled me, for a reason. Acoustic pianos will produce sound when the hammer only descends a smaller distance. I use a digital piano. You cannot produce sound unless you go quite near the bottom, and this is a known thing about digitals. There are some fancier more expensive models that have sensors at two locations, so that you can expand your touch in regards to distance. This is why the statement that students playing digitals would not go far enough down into the keys surprised me, since a problem is that we have to go quite a ways down. Could there be other factors involved? Are you getting this from the students themselves - ones that you teach or talk to?

Before I bought my DP, I visited quite a few stores and explored what was out there. I remember a cheap Casio with spring loaded keys which would have created poorish habits. I once had a keyboard which was more like a toy with gimmicks. The touch was lighter than the keyboard I'm typing on. By any chance, are you thinking of those? That one would create the behaviour you describe.

bigsmile #2292464 06/20/14 07:08 AM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
bigsmile, I think Morodiene has the key: tell teachers it's a digital piano with weighted keys. Don't call it a keyboard.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
keystring #2292465 06/20/14 07:12 AM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
The typical problem with digital is that students routinely neglect to play at/with the bottom of the keys...

This part puzzled me, for a reason. Acoustic pianos will produce sound when the hammer only descends a smaller distance. I use a digital piano. You cannot produce sound unless you go quite near the bottom, and this is a known thing about digitals.

Just guessing. But digitals have a master volume control. It is important to set it to a level that approximates an acoustic piano, then leave it alone and do all your dynamics with touch. But if you set it too high, or move it around, you might get that effect.

gotta go practice
TimR #2292473 06/20/14 07:44 AM
B
B
hey guys im new to the forum, and recently taking my practice as a piano teacher to the next level in terms of scale, recently opened our new facility north york piano studio

and i have to admit i hadnt put much thought until now about the reasoning behind many teachers not accepting digital. But thanks for sharing i mean I do see many of the points made as valid but at the same time its in m eyes understandable not everyone will be able to afford a grand piano for home use smile and that being the case i find digital as a reasonable tool so long as my student also get practice on the real thing.

ENCORE PIANO STUDIOS
Bonnie Yam
For better piano education, visit us online at:
http://www.northyorkpianolessons.com
keystring #2292482 06/20/14 08:18 AM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R

This part puzzled me, for a reason. Acoustic pianos will produce sound when the hammer only descends a smaller distance. I use a digital piano. You cannot produce sound unless you go quite near the bottom, and this is a known thing about digitals. There are some fancier more expensive models that have sensors at two locations, so that you can expand your touch in regards to distance. This is why the statement that students playing digitals would not go far enough down into the keys surprised me, since a problem is that we have to go quite a ways down. Could there be other factors involved? Are you getting this from the students themselves - ones that you teach or talk to?

Before I bought my DP, I visited quite a few stores and explored what was out there. I remember a cheap Casio with spring loaded keys which would have created poorish habits. I once had a keyboard which was more like a toy with gimmicks. The touch was lighter than the keyboard I'm typing on. By any chance, are you thinking of those? That one would create the behaviour you describe.

Some of that may be partly true of some of the cheaper digital units.
A little farther up the scale are units with quite acceptable velocity curves.
Farther yet, customizable velocity curves can match the keyBOARD to the sound emulation (to your liking..., which may or may not match brand/model X/Y acoustic piano).

There REALLY ARE digital pianos with FAR better actions than some acoustic pianos. A GOOD digital piano does beat a POOR acoustic piano.

Anyway, I think the bigger problem with rejecting students' use of (whatever you dislike that they have at home) is that it is often what the parents have ALREADY BOUGHT and the parent/child/teacher triangle becomes a battleground that leads to the loss of yet another student - not just lost from a particular teacher, but lost from music.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hypnotised by the piano?
by xlider - 11/25/20 12:17 AM
using shim of ivory for the lost tuning pin
by Maximillyan - 11/24/20 11:14 PM
Is Vermeer the most 'musical' of the great artists?
by bennevis - 11/24/20 07:23 PM
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,029
Posts3,026,841
Members99,363
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission