2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
Did you get all those instruments from your DGX? Very fun. Did you play them all at the same time somehow or all separately? Very nice.

All separate. Different mistakes in each one. Couldn`t use the drums even though I played to a metronome; the drums are rigid whilst my playing is not!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
ElssaThis was the first movie my mom and I ever saw together, so you can imagine how magical it was for me. The sights and sounds of the clip you posted are engraved indellibly on my brain.... I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one can play a Disney song for me as beautifully as you do, although Lady Payne is coming in a close second!

Starr Keys: Thanks so much for your kind words.. I'm glad it brought back fond memories for you. smile I had fun playing the "cross-hands technique" (a la Eddy Duchin) with it.

Elssa #2291271 06/17/14 07:55 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Eddy Duchin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Duchin

"By no means was Duchin a perfect pianist, but he was easy to listen to without being rote or entirely predictable. He was a pleasing stage presence whose favourite technique was to play his piano cross-handed, using only one finger on the lower hand, and he was respectful to his audiences and to his classical influences."

I play/teach my cross-hands style in the exact same way. smile

peterws #2292060 06/19/14 11:49 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by peterws
Starr Keys

Straight from an ole Hollywood score. Sounded right, and your bit in the middle was excellent. So sorry to hear of your losses (you and Elssa) I guess this is an age thing and I`m not getting younger. I notice this old fella staring at me in the mirror . . .and wonder what Dad`s doin` here . . . . grin

Peter, thank you for your kind words. Didn't mean to ignore this. Just waiting for more people to post songs and responses and forgot. The Bar used to be a lot busier (checked and last month's pickings were also pretty slim.) Where is everybody?

Seems to me there was always lots going on at the piano bar. It`s fun, and there were also themed recitals. There`s still the quarterly recitals though. . . maybe we`re all burnt out!

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2292161 06/19/14 02:38 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by StarrKeys
(checked and last month's pickings were also pretty slim.) Where is everybody?
Seems to me there was always lots going on at the piano bar. It`s fun, and there were also themed recitals. There`s still the quarterly recitals though. . . maybe we`re all burnt out!

Oops! I better clarify. I didn't mean the quality of the recordings posted was slim, just the quantity. I remember when I could open 7 pages in this thread by this late in the month, and now we're only just starting a third page, and last month there were only 2 pages of posts for the entire month.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 06/19/14 03:16 PM.
S
S
Ladypayne: Terrific playing. So This is Love reminds me of a movie scene of the heroine playing the piano in her parlor, late 19th century. I loved it.

Gaffster: I really enjoyed Endless. You're very talented.

piano primo 1:Nice job on Swiss Air. You seem comfortable at the piano.

Riddler: You're a very good arranger. That was a terrific version of Chick Corea's tune. Excellent playing.

Amaruk: Another excellent arranger. Wonderful playing and your video was really cool.

mstachowsky: I never get tired of hearing this. Thanks for playing it. Nice job. You're a good sight reader

wuxia: Simply gorgeous. That's the first time I've heard that particular Nocturne. Thank you for sharing it with us.

8 Octaves: Wonderful! Such beautiful phrasing and articulation.

beechcraft409: Very nice tribute to your cousin. Thank you for sharing that.

kenjazz: I read in this morning's paper that Mr. Silver died yesterday. And you give us this wonderful arrangement of Lonely Woman. Very nice kenjazz. (That's a good looking jazz box on the wall).

Starr Keys: Wow. Playing and singing at the same time, and doing both so well. I don't know how you do it. That's a great arrangement also. And nice video!

Elssa: Your arrangments and playing are so nice. Always great to hear you. And later: there probably aren't too many members who saw the Eddy Duchin Story with Kim Novak, Tyrone Power and Carmen Cavallaro's piano work, but I remember it like it was yesterday. No I take that back. I have no idea what happened yesterday.

peterws: I second everything Starr Keys said. That was great peterws. And very creative.

Here's my first contribution to the Piano Bar. This piece was written by forum member Tim Treford. It's easy to play, and I like it a lot. Thanks for composing it Tim!

Mayflower

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SunnyFriday
8 Octaves: Wonderful! Such beautiful phrasing and articulation.

Thanks; you're overly generous. blush

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very nice recording, SunnyFriday. smile

Yes, Carmen Cavallaro really captured Eddy Duchin's style so well in the movie.

Here's my own arrangement:

M
M
Thanks for the replies everyone! I figure that replying to individuals is going to clog the thread, so I'll just stick this out to everyone who has (and will) reply, thanks!

For next month I'm working on two pieces and I'm not sure which one to go with. One is a left-hand only study (I really enjoy left-hand only playing for some reason), and the other is "Jane's Song" by Christopher Norton (just generally a nice piece of music). What are peoples' thoughts? Go for the technically more challenging one or the nicer sounding? I'm only going to have time to work on one or the other to a reasonable standard...

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Starrkeys
...waiting for more people to post songs and responses and forgot. The Bar used to be a lot busier (checked and last month's pickings were also pretty slim.) Where is everybody

Ask and you shall receive smile

SunnyFriday Heard this this morning and you certainly live up to your name! Love the combination of strong rhythm and New-Age-relaxed in this piece. Very nice arrangement. You play very well.

Elssa You will never starve. Even when the economy is bad for musicians, any restaurant would be happy to have you play for your supper. The one mistake I made in my video tribute to you is not including a picture of Carmen Calvalero at the piano, but chosing to use a picture of the handsome Tyrone Power pretending to play like him instead.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 06/20/14 12:48 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Peter, geez, yer a whole band! Very listenable, very well put together, you are a really good orchestrator! Not a song I've heard before but I enjoyed it. BTW, I have a similar problem - the metronome and the score are rigid whilst my playing is flexible and free!

SunnyFriday, very tuneful and easy to listen to, well done.

Elssa, loved that version of Manhattan, it's always been a fav of mine. Like those runs and ending, as always. But I'm just wondering - how did you ever get your cat to chime in on cue like that?

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
[quote: Starrkeys]

Elssa You will never starve. Even when the economy is bad for musicians, any restaurant would be happy to have you play for your supper.

Well, I've been offered free drinks for playing a tune at places but never a full dinner.. Hanging out in the wrong places, I guess. hah smile

Thanks, Riddler. I loved your recording, 500 Miles High, great smooth jazz sound and improv. smile

Gwen usually played a few ending keyboard notes to my songs but guess she just decided to "sing out" this time, with the usual purrfect timing, of course. wink =^o^=

Last edited by Elssa; 06/22/14 01:43 AM.
Elssa #2293269 06/22/14 02:08 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Carmen Cavallaro

MANHATTAN (Rodgers and Hart)

Peter - ouch! You recorded each voice separately. I go nuts trying to get two instruments to line up when I'm doing the actual playing. It's no wonder that you are resolving to go back to piano-only mode. It sounded so good though, that after a while you will look back at your accomplishment and decide to go for it again!

SunnyFriday - Thank you. It was a sad occasion that Horace Silver died this week. I heard several other arrangements of Lonely Woman that I had never heard on the radio, as stations were emphasizing their Horace Silver catalogs. Sadly, mine was not the best of the ones I heard this week :-). That jazz box on the wall is a D'Angelico New Yorker, that I use when recording the combination piano/guitar tunes.

Elssa - I was humming your song "I'll Take Manhattan" in my head this week. I was in NYC, staying right by the 911 memorial. My room had a view of the Esplanade and the Statue of Liberty was down there to the south. I could hear your smooth arpeggios forming the melody, and then your cat providing the finishing touches. Nice job.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
kenjazz #2293695 06/23/14 02:40 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks/meow, KenJazz smile "Lonely Woman" was dreamy/mesmerizing, interesting harmony as well.

Last edited by Elssa; 06/23/14 02:41 AM.
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I just listened to all the recordings.
Very good job everyone, thanks for sharing smile

Elssa #2295318 06/26/14 01:25 PM
Elssa You swung wi that one, lass; I was also trying to watch that little tennis match on your screen to the left there . . . rather hypnotic!

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2296406 06/29/14 02:12 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Elssa You swung wi that one, lass; I was also trying to watch that little tennis match on your screen to the left there . . . rather hypnotic!

PeterWs: Thanks so much smile I really enjoyed your recording and playing. You're a real wiz with your multitracking and creative arrangements. thumb

Yes, fun to add in the rhythm unit now and then.. the bouncing light helps keep me on track. lol

Here's a little something with a Latin/Bossa Nova rhythm:

SO NICE/SUMMER SAMBA

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission