2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
76 members (AWilley, accordeur, barneyh, 36251, AaronSF, AntonAnton, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 444 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
How to Control Humidity w/o Dampp-Chaser
#2290630 06/16/14 04:35 PM
I
OP Offline
I
I'm curious as to whether it is possible to set up a humidity system (e.g. humidifier and/or dehumidifier, depending on the needs) in lieu of the Dampp-Chaser. It is a great system, but I heard that it isolates the piano, while in an ideal world, you want the whole room to be affected so that your piano will be ideally humidity-controlled. Also, I'm not really a fan of having holes drilled in my soundboard for the system. I think the ideal humidity range is like 40 to 50 percent, right?

I also see people pour this capful of solution their jug of water when they refill the Dampp-Chaser. What is that made of, and what does that do?

Oh, and BTW, drilling holes in the soundboard will lessen the quality of the piano's tones, will it?

Re: How to Control Humidity w/o Dampp-Chaser
iObsessed #2290633 06/16/14 04:49 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Dampp-Chasers are attached via tiny holes in the huge beams, NOT the soundboard. There are metal bars fitted under the soundboard to hold the water tank (held by gravity) and a thick, plastic flashing to protect the board from any water damage. The only screws are to hold the little plastic brackets for the heat bars and hose and those go into the case and beams.

Last edited by Markarian; 06/16/14 04:49 PM.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
iObsessed #2290634 06/16/14 04:53 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I use a small room dehumidifier in my piano shop; it consistently maintains about 55% RH.

I do get tired of emptying the fill bucket though... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
iObsessed #2290638 06/16/14 05:01 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Oh the solution is simply Lysol. It's to keep the humidity pads from getting gross. I recommend using DC's actual solution, as I'm sure it's a certain concentration for their system and they give you a ton of it when you order the tank.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
iObsessed #2290642 06/16/14 05:11 PM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
iObsessed,

The best way to keep the temp and humidity controlled is by means of a full house HVAC system with a humidifier installed into the system. Another method is to control the humidity in the room in which the piano is located using humidifiers and dehumidifiers as appropriate to the season.

Many of us choose the full home approach with the addition of a D-C system as a final "tuning", as it were.

First of all, let me emphasize that the soundboard is not, in any way, touched or altered by the installation. For a grand piano, all of the components are attached under the piano and in an upright, they are inside the cabinet. For full information, there is a link to the Piano Life Saver System (D-C) on the side of this page.

The treatment fluid that you mention is to keep any mold and algae from growing in the tank and tube and to make sure the water is electrically conductive. The D-C system monitors whether the tank needs to be filled by means of a low electrical current sent through the reservoir. As it is a heat/evaporative system, any minerals in the water supply will start to build up on the evaporator pad as 'lime' deposits. To guard against this, and increase efficiency, using distilled water is recommended. However, distilled water doesn't conduct electricity so the D-C fluid is added to serve two purposes.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Markarian #2290738 06/16/14 08:18 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by Markarian
Oh the solution is simply Lysol. It's to keep the humidity pads from getting gross. I recommend using DC's actual solution, as I'm sure it's a certain concentration for their system and they give you a ton of it when you order the tank.

I'm curious as to how you knew this...

iObsessed #2290769 06/16/14 10:08 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
April Air offers whole house humidity control systems. Humidex is excellent for high humidity areas.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
iObsessed #2290801 06/16/14 11:47 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by iObsessed
Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by Markarian

I'm curious as to how you knew this...

I looked up the chemical on the back of the bottle and it's the same stuff that's in Lysol. Also, I know the rest of it because I have a Dampp-Chaser.

iObsessed #2291045 06/17/14 12:55 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Could anyone furnish a picture of the metal bars mentioned above? and where they are placed?

Oh yea, if they drill holes into the piano, where do they drill?

iObsessed #2291048 06/17/14 12:59 PM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
iObsessed,

Here is the link to their website. You will find the information you are looking for there.

http://www.pianolifesaver.com/english/home.php

Marty in Minnesota

iObsessed #2291426 06/18/14 12:54 AM
T
T
When I was shopping for a D-C PianoLifesaver system for my grand, I contacted several distributors. One said he needed to drill a hole in my soundboard, to route the fill tube up under the lid and make it easy to fill. No one was going to deface my new soundboard in my fully rebuilt piano! I scratched that installer off my list.

The more common installation method, and which I selected, is to keep the fill hose clipped to the beams, below the soundboard. I merely reach under the rim to unclip the tube end, and then fill the system with the watering "can."

Originally Posted by iObsessed
... Also, I'm not really a fan of having holes drilled in my soundboard for the system...

Oh, and BTW, drilling holes in the soundboard will lessen the quality of the piano's tones, will it?

iObsessed #2291510 06/18/14 06:53 AM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Tone Depth, you did the right thing in shopping elsewhere. There are idiots everywhere installing everything incorrectly! Drilling through a soundboard is not standard installation procedure.

Marty in Minnesota

Minnesota Marty #2291558 06/18/14 08:01 AM
V
V
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Tone Depth, you did the right thing in shopping elsewhere. There are idiots everywhere installing everything incorrectly! Drilling through a soundboard is not standard installation procedure.

Yeah I can't imagine the sense in routing the fill tube up through the soundboard in a grand. I don't have a D-C system, but if there's any chance that water could dribble down the outside of the tube when filling it, the soundboard is the last place I would want it to end up. It's just not worth the supposed convenience.

To be fair though, drilling a hole in the soundboard is standard installation procedure for vertical pianos, and is used to pass the electrical cords.

[Linked Image]

iObsessed #2291569 06/18/14 08:24 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
At risk of asking a stupid question, if I have sited my piano in its final location I could do worse than having a floor mounted power outlet under the piano so I would have no trailing cords going to the wall?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
iObsessed #2291575 06/18/14 08:33 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Voltara a very loud WHAT? I would NEVER, EVER, EVER let anybody drill a hole in the soundboard, are these guys out of their mind?

PhilipInChina #2291576 06/18/14 08:33 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
At risk of asking a stupid question, if I have sited my piano in its final location I could do worse than having a floor mounted power outlet under the piano so I would have no trailing cords going to the wall?

Do you really need a dampp chaser there? Bulgaria doesn't have a very extreme climate does it?

WimPiano #2291583 06/18/14 08:39 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wimpiano

Do you really need a dampp chaser there? Bulgaria doesn't have a very extreme climate does it?

I am just asking the same thing of my friend, Veneta Neynska, a professional pianist who lives in Bulgaria.

The temperature range is fairly pronounced from maybe -15 in the winter to 35 in the summer. (Roughly zero to mid nineties Fahrenheit) Humidity I am not so sure about. Anyway I shall be guided by what Veneta says.

PhilipInChina #2291586 06/18/14 08:44 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wimpiano

I am just asking the same thing of my friend, Veneta Neynska, a professional pianist who lives in Bulgaria.

The temperature range is fairly pronounced from maybe -15 in the winter to 35 in the summer. (Roughly zero to mid nineties Fahrenheit) Humidity I am not so sure about. Anyway I shall be guided by what Veneta says.

Whilst typing that I got a response from Veneta. She said not to bother. So I won't!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Thumb under for bluesy tunes
by AntonAnton - 11/24/20 12:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,022
Posts3,026,755
Members99,360
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission