2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 336 of 540 1 2 334 335 336 337 338 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. I will definitely be on cloud nine for a while! Then, back to work.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Swiss MS, I missed this note. CONGRATULATIONS on passing with high merit!! That is a wonderful accomplishment.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
J
J
@SwissMS
Very well done.

@Music me
I would love to be able to sight read more difficult pieces one day. It is a great skill to have.

Jeremy

Bach's motto : Let not your right hand know what the left is doing.

Started learning in March 2014
Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-one Book 1
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@SwissMS Congratulations!!

@WiseBuff thanks!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
JimF - so, we'll see you in piano bars soon? That's a fun accomplishment.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
SwissMs, congratulations! We knew you had it in you--your hard work and dedication (and talent) paid off.

WiseBluff, hope Mr. WiseBluff is doing better. Good that you can get some piano in during your busy summer.

Sand Tiger, your Week 118 post may be your shortest yet. Hope things are going well for you.

Music Me, cool you sight read through the piece. I'll bet there aren't too many pieces around to listen to that were recorded by both Chick Chorea and Vladamir Horowitz! You may have posted this before, but how long have you been playing, lessons, etc?

Barbaram, MOYD to the rescue!

JimF, your performance at the asshisted living phashility shounds jus' wunnerful! wink

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cathy
JimF - so, we'll see you in piano bars soon?

Hahaha, maybe if you are looking in the audience. It was fun, and I will probably do it again some time.... but I don't envision a big demand for "the unique (ahem!) stylings of JimF". LOL! grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
I turn 55 on wed. And up until recently aftervyears of struggling,my piano study has been very poor. For the past few years I have taken Monday afternoons off for the four months of the summer and this year I have decided that instead of going home to veg. I am going to use this block of time to take piano lessons and then go home and Practise.this has turned out to be the most joyful gift I could give myself. I am relaxed after a weekend off and only half a day of work and I find this an excellent way to start the week.I have done this for just short of two months now and my progress is substantial. On my way home,and this involves a pleasant lunch and a leisurely walk in the beautiful sunshine,I decided I don't want this to end come labour day when I am due to return to work a full week.i was planning on taking two weeks in August but today I decided I love this schedule which allows me to luxuriate in lessons so much that I am going to transfer my two weeks into another year of Mondays. Unfortunately I am not rich and I must work but this period of time at my lessons which are not now after a long day of work are so heavenly and inspiring.it has taken me almost my entire life to get where I am now and believe me, I am still very much an absolute beginner.but the progress is so relaxed and so momentous! So to any adult beginner out there struggling, find your groove and follow your passion slowly. Wonders do abound.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
alans
I love the thought of your 'year of Mondays!'

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was helping a friend with her yard sale Saturday and one of the things she wished to sell was a big, old, former player piano that her now-grown-and-gone daughter had used.

The piano was in the house, of course since it weighs very close to 9 million pounds smile but she had brought a family into the house to look and was now negotiating with them on the front porch.

I went in and sat down at the piano and played my entire extensive 3 memorized piece repetoire and... they bought the piano and complimented me on my playing! But I didn't get a bird dog on the sale; I need to talk to my friend about that!

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
JeanieA - Yay! Well done for the impromtu musician and sales assistant! Tell her she now has to donate the daughter's old sheet music to you as a commission.

alans - gotta love that post. What could be better.... a free afternoon, a piano lesson, lunch and a walk in the sun. Enjoy your new Monday routine.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I was asked to show pictures of my place when I get it reorganized and redone. Well, it isn't finished. I truly do feel embarrassed at the thought of posting pictures of it finished. I have sound traps to be mounted on ceiling and walls. In corners. I just can't serve my ego to post pictures of it like that. It is for a purpose. Not an impressive show.
So here is getting rid of most of my clutter. The computer isn't in the cabinet yet due to not receiving my long USB cord yet. Otherwise am covering tables and cabinet with fleece. Putting insulation bags under tables to absorb bass reflections.. Other sound treatment is to be added. I do think it is best for my ego to not show it all. It's not important. This is basically my room now.

The good part is getting very organized in my personal living space. It matches up with what is going on with me mentally in my piano System of learning.

[Linked Image]

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a teacher again YAY! Well sort of... but so very promising. I had my interview which went very well. She has several students off for the summer and so gave me a temporary slot once a month. I'm on a short list for September when several of her regulars are off to college and hopefully I will get a bi-monthly lesson.

In the meantime, she gave me some various things to work on in the interim and also should work on something of my choosing to play for her soon. eek She seems willing to concentrate primarily on the music I desire to play but asked me to keep an open mind about other genres (as needed) as well. My first lesson will be Friday.

::: doin' the Snoopy Happy Dance:::

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Very good news Ragdoll!!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ron - I like the cleanness of your clutter-free room. It's inspirational.

Yea, Ragdoll! Hope you're off on an exciting journey!

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I have a teacher again YAY!

::: doin' the Snoopy Happy Dance:::

Yay!

Here's hoping there are no humans around to rain on your parade, as it were:

[video:youtube]iFNLbAs3KAU[/video]

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
I have a teacher!

My first ever real piano lesson was this afternoon. Earlier via phone teacher had asked that I bring in some music I had been toying with - but I decided to go in empty handed and ask that we start from the beginning.

I learned more in 30 minutes about posture, relaxation, positioning, hand rotation, etc... than I could have thought possible in that span of time. Now assigned the C scale with correct fingering and Bach Musette in D - which I incorrectly thought I knew how to play. eek

Small talk on leaving - she mentioned most of her students are kids who don't want to be there and don't last long. I laughed and replied "Well, I want to play Liszt - so you'll have me as a student for quite a while." She reaches over and picks up a picture of herself as a young woman seated next to an older man and asks "Have you ever heard of Emil von Sauer?" I nod yes.

She continues, "This was my teacher at the Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria. He was taught by Von Sauer. Guess what, you're in the school of Liszt."

Yeah, "stoked" doesn't even come close.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tararex
I have a teacher!

My first ever real piano lesson was this afternoon. Earlier via phone teacher had asked that I bring in some music I had been toying with - but I decided to go in empty handed and ask that we start from the beginning.

I learned more in 30 minutes about posture, relaxation, positioning, hand rotation, etc... than I could have thought possible in that span of time. Now assigned the C scale with correct fingering and Bach Musette in D - which I incorrectly thought I knew how to play. eek

Small talk on leaving - she mentioned most of her students are kids who don't want to be there and don't last long. I laughed and replied "Well, I want to play Liszt - so you'll have me as a student for quite a while." She reaches over and picks up a picture of herself as a young woman seated next to an older man and asks "Have you ever heard of Emil von Sauer?" I nod yes.

She continues, "This was my teacher at the Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria. He was taught by Von Sauer. Guess what, you're in the school of Liszt."

great story, what a brilliant co-incidence. Good luck with the new teacher.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
My first ever real piano lesson was this afternoon.

Congrats!

When you hit the low points--and you will--realize that if you just keep plugging away, you come through them a little stronger.

So I came here just to comment on your starting lessons, but as it turns out, von Sauer is my piano-great-great-grandpa, so I guess that makes you my piano-2nd-cousin-once-removed!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Music Me, I'm jealous! Sounds great. Horowitz's playing is really special indeed.

@Alans that seems like a rythm I can live with as well smile

@Tararex, great story, enjoy!

Page 336 of 540 1 2 334 335 336 337 338 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission