2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 11 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2290416 06/16/14 09:59 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
The recent thread about a walnut piano had me thinking:
Who would honestly think they had a walnut piano when it is in reality something like stained oak?

The difference in patterns is so obvious..

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think even I can tell oak but I wonder how many people could distinguish between various similar looking hardwoods stained as something else.

This is why I left the pine floor in my music room as pine. Somebody suggested using a chestnut stained varnish. To me it then just looks like pine with a brown varnish on it!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
The various hardwoods don't look alike at all.
E.g. Mahogany looks very distinct from Santos Rosewood.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Sometimes people choose a color, rather than a particular veneer, to match their décor. That is purely a design decision, and completely valid.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wimpiano
The recent thread about a walnut piano had me thinking:
Who would honestly think they had a walnut piano when it is in reality something like stained oak?

The difference in patterns is so obvious...

I suppose some are fooled into thinking that oak veneer stained brown might be walnut but I rather suspect most of them think it is oak veneer stained brown.

Very few, if any, pianos with whatever veneer make it through the line without some stain somewhere. The color of the veneer on the key endblocks doesn't quite match the color of the veneer on the lid, etc.

And then there are (or at least were) the pianos that looked like everything was veneered with some exotic or other when, in fact, they were covered with paper printed to look like some exotic veneer or other. Underneath all that plastic who could tell? My clue was seeing the same -- as in exactly identical -- swirls and colors in the lids of several different pianos. This does not happen with wood veneers.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Del, you might know. Has anyone ever built a "real" ebony piano? To my understanding, ebony is not a good wood to veneer.

Marty in Minnesota

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Del, you might know. Has anyone ever built a "real" ebony piano? To my understanding, ebony is not a good wood to veneer.

Steinway has (and does, I think). Beautiful pianos. I don't know if there have been any others.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Del.

Marty in Minnesota

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I have very little knowledge about woods. I can see if I like the pattern and color but I don't see nor think it so relevant how much paint they added to it. Actually I prefer lighter over dark, and most varnishes make the wood look darker against what I prefer. But wood gets darker also over time anyway. Is there varnish to make wood look again/keep looking like fresh cut?

I can see the repeated patterns in laminate floors but it does not bother me too much. On a piano laminate probably would disturb me more though smile

>Who would honestly think they had a walnut piano when it is in reality something like stained oak?

I guess most people are like me, who cares how it's called as long as it looks great smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Steinway's website shows Macassar Ebony as one of the nine available veneers in their "Crown Jewel Collection" option.

Larry.

W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wouter79
I have very little knowledge about woods. I can see if I like the pattern and color but I don't see nor think it so relevant how much paint they added to it. Actually I prefer lighter over dark, and most varnishes make the wood look darker against what I prefer. But wood gets darker also over time anyway. Is there varnish to make wood look again/keep looking like fresh cut?

I can see the repeated patterns in laminate floors but it does not bother me too much. On a piano laminate probably would disturb me more though smile

>Who would honestly think they had a walnut piano when it is in reality something like stained oak?

I guess most people are like me, who cares how it's called as long as it looks great smile

In general the wood colors less then the finish. Some woods, especially tropical, get lighter over time instead of darker.
Most varnishes tend to get yellow.
The only way to get back the "original color" is to remove the finish carefully and then very very lightly sand the veneer. HOWEVER, it is very hard to sand so light that you won't get through the veneer.

Originally Posted by wouter79

Believe me, some woods have such fantastic, beautiful patterns that, you can't even come close to that with stained wood.

Last edited by wimpiano; 06/16/14 02:46 PM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Wim, I believe you smile I have seen very nice patterns on pianos. It's just that I don't know if it's real wood, printed or painted on, or what . And I'm quite happy with glossy black I have now which probably isn't varnished ebony but what do I know smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission