2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Amaruk #2289238 06/13/14 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Amaruk
Ken - That was lovely! Great playing as always! You never disappoint! Is that your own arrangement by the way?

Thanks Amaruk and Starr Keys!. I neglected to include the link to the blog post.

Lonely Woman blog post

I'm trying to lift the arrangement from a local San Francisco pianist named Roy Brown, that I heard in a small jazz club when I was there in 2009.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Ken, wow, that was magnificent. I'm feeling her pain, really. So bluesey, but without the cliches. You really brought out the beautiful harmonies so well. I'm putting this song on my list of stuff to learn (long list), but I will have to transpose it to a more civilized key, I'm sure. Love it at this tempo. I still remember hearing Silver at Newport, 1958; it was a real thrill for me.

BTW, the Soundcloud embedding worked fine, as long as you don't mind the top of your head being cut off! smile

Starr Keys, that was easy on the ears, indeed. You have a very appealing voice. BTW, I recognized a lot of the graphics as I watched the video - a nice tribute to Elssa!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you so much, Starr Keys (Denise)..I really appreciate it. You really bring out the heart and soul of these great classics/standards with your lovely singing and stylish skillful playing, as always! You and the music have been a good friend and help keep me going. smile

P.S. Loved your improv/walking bass. thumb

Last edited by Elssa; 06/13/14 01:05 PM.
Riddler #2289343 06/13/14 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Riddler
Ken, wow, that was magnificent. I'm feeling her pain, really. So bluesey, but without the cliches. You really brought out the beautiful harmonies so well. I'm putting this song on my list of stuff to learn (long list), but I will have to transpose it to a more civilized key, I'm sure. Love it at this tempo. I still remember hearing Silver at Newport, 1958; it was a real thrill for me.

BTW, the Soundcloud embedding worked fine, as long as you don't mind the top of your head being cut off! smile

Ed

Thank you Ed! Yeah, it is in Ebm which is a lot of flats, but that is better than a lot of sharps IMO smile I can't believe that you got to see him at the Newport festival back in '58. That must have been such a treat. Did he play this song then?

I have a recorded rendition of 500 Miles High from the Gary Burton class last year too. I'm glad that I didn't post it! Yours sounds so much better, particularly what you did with the head. I like how you weaved those full arpeggios in there, even at that speed. Mine is much more sparse for sure. It sounds great.

Starr Keys - Nice job with the walking bass, then switching comping styles. There was so much variation in there for just piano and vocals. I love that you did a full length solo interlude too. That was fun to listen to.

Amaruk - The Eagles package was powerful! solo-ized arrangement, patented video technique, and rock-solid performance. So much multi-media fun to take in. Thanks

LadyPayne - Boy, your chops are just growing by leaps and bounds. So This Is Love was flowing really effortlessly and tastefully.

Gaffster - Very nice sound on the vocals, composition and arrangement. In the final mix, I would mix the vocal up quite a bit more prominently though.

Wuxia - Such beautifully expressive arpeggios. If I could do that with jazz, it would open up a whole new world of playing. Sigh.

Mstachowsky - I love that. A video of a recording! The nice even flow was well rehearsed and sounded great. Keep it going!

Beechcraft - To me, musical tributes are the best kind. They bring forth the most memories and emotions, and stay with us the longest. Yours was lovely.

8 Octaves - Beautiful execution on the Bach, sweet sounding piano, and a history lesson to boot. Excellent.

Piano Primo - Your flowing sound seems to become more and more natural each time you post something. Swiss Air sounded very nice. Keep up the good work.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you all for your kind words about my performance of The Eagles.

For those of you who are interested, I just created a pdf file with my arrangement and it is available here: https://app.box.com/s/6vnj8ix7l5dxfp0nhap5

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
kenjazz #2289474 06/13/14 10:05 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by kenjazz
.. I can't believe that you got to see him at the Newport festival back in '58. That must have been such a treat. Did he play this song then?

I know he played Senor Blues, but I don't know what other songs he did.

Originally Posted by kenjazz

I have a recorded rendition of 500 Miles High from the Gary Burton class last year too. I'm glad that I didn't post it! Yours sounds so much better, particularly what you did with the head. I like how you weaved those full arpeggios in there, even at that speed. Mine is much more sparse for sure. It sounds great.

Tks. Actually, I did not like the version I submitted for the course. I thought the song was kinda fascinating because a lot of the important notes (the held notes) turn out to be top notes of big upper structure type chords, which change in unexpected ways. (It called up an image buried in my psyche of a giant striding across the globe, stepping from mountaintop to mountaintop. A Nietzsche metaphor, I think.) I thought it was clever to be able to write a singable tune that way. If you play the head in the typical way with single note melody and left hand rootless voicings, as I did during the course, that cleverness does not come across. So recently I decided to try to find a way to work all those notes in under the melody, and finally came up with these arpeggios. Fun puzzle to work on, for me.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Riddler
Starr Keys, that was easy on the ears, indeed. You have a very appealing voice. BTW, I recognized a lot of the graphics as I watched the video - a nice tribute to Elssa!

Thanks Ed. My husband was less enthusiastic about the graphics on this video than any of my others, and when I probed him for the reason, it turned out it was because he'd never seen Elssa' video song graphics nor her PianoWorld posts of Eddy Duchin memorobelia and the crazy organ lady/cartoons, so none of it made sense in the context of the song. I probably should have explained what this was all about when I posted the song. I also appreciate the kind words about the vocal. I know it could be a lot better, but it's good to know it at least didn't cause you dis-ease.:)

Originally Posted by Elssa
Thank you so much, Starr Keys I really appreciate it. You really bring out the heart and soul of these great classics/standards with your lovely singing and stylish skillful playing, as always! You and the music have been a good friend and help keep me going. P.S. Loved your improv/walking bass.

Well, this is a first for me. It's the first time I am immune to anyone else's indifference or criticism now that I've heard this from you. And you could have taken the words right out of my mouth as to how I feel about your latest submissions. If there is any truth in this it has to be that I absorbed it from you by osmosis. And I think I may have picked up more then one tip on "improvising a walking bass" from you on your video tutorial Techniques II.:)

Originally Posted by KenJazz
Starr Keys - Nice job with the walking bass, then switching comping styles. There was so much variation in there for just piano and vocals. I love that you did a full length solo interlude too. That was fun to listen to.

Wow, Ken! For you to take the trouble to go into this much detail about my performance. It makes me feel taken seriously as a beginning Jazz stylist, which is another first for me. Thank you.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Piano Primo 1

Liked the string addition. Have you thought about adding strings as a separate entity? You have more flexibility then. Nice work, man!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
8 Octaves

Lovely and lively! Enjoyed that effervescent piece on your piano. This sounded unusual for an acoustic . . . totally in tune, no resonances flying all over the place; clear as a bell . . .most unusual! grin

"[Linked Image]"
beechcraft409

A framework of chords and some fitting melody. This is pleasant and befits the modern approach which I like to use myself. Hope to hear more from you.

"[Linked Image]"
kenjazz #2289578 06/14/14 10:19 AM
kenjazz

A lonely woman - Yes, you can picture some lass sitting by herself on a bar stool hoping for some company. Maybe not the best picture but you paint it well. And that bass player . . . I need him for some o` my stuff . . . aye, and the drummer. Come to think of it, you can do the piano bit and I`ll stand next to the lonely woman . .

"[Linked Image]"
Starr Keys

Straight from an ole Hollywood score. Sounded right, and your bit in the middle was excellent. So sorry to hear of your losses (you and Elssa) I guess this is an age thing and I`m not getting younger. I notice this old fella staring at me in the mirror . . .and wonder what Dad`s doin` here . . . . grin

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ladypayne
Thought I'd go ahead and start the Piano bar this month smile
I did my own arrangement of This is Love from Disney's Cinderella. I also have written out the sheet music for this one so if you would like it, send me a pm with your email smile

So This is Love (Piano Only)
https://app.box.com/s/0nxnqxyhwl02rbj1otfr

So This is Love (with Cello, used my music program for this)
https://app.box.com/s/bwpxfc1bt7xiq62k314p

Wow, that was really wonderful, LadyPayne. I haven't played that one but am going to give it a go now. smile

Still catching up with all the great recordings here in the Bar..sorry, been very busy with work lately.

Here's another Disney tune, my own arrangement as well:

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

Last edited by Elssa; 06/15/14 01:20 AM.
peterws #2289925 06/15/14 02:01 AM

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
This sounded unusual for an acoustic . . . totally in tune, no resonances flying all over the place; clear as a bell . . .most unusual! grin

Hmm, do you like it? It's the new Yamaha CX series sound. I do keep it in primo condition. I think somebody at the last ABF Recital thought it was a digital. Too funny. Now, the condition of my car, not so great....

" I think somebody at the last ABF Recital thought it was a digital. Too funny. Now, the condition of my car, not so great...."

Hope it wasn`t me! But I have this sneaking feeling it might`ve been . . .

It did sound good. I had an upright straight strung piano when I was a kid which also was very clear and loud. My granddad played his First World War marches on it, including some he`d wrote himself. My uncle played his ragtime stuff (always in "g") on it . . . Dad complained about the racket, it was that loud. But he bought it in the first place . . .

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2290138 06/15/14 04:34 PM
Here`s my contribution . . .this multitrack stuff`s getting on me nerves. It`ll be piano only from now . . . uploading to Youtube is so tedious. So I went elsewhere . . hope this works!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zjf6s_mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm_music

Last edited by peterws; 06/15/14 04:44 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
ElssaThis was the first movie my mom and I ever saw together, so you can imagine how magical it was for me. The sights and sounds of the clip you posted are engraved indellibly on my brain.... I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one can play a Disney song for me as beautifully as you do, although Lady Payne is coming in a close second!

PeterswThe perfect antidote to my and Elssa's "Hollywood musical" optimism before things become a bit too saccharine. Don't know if it was deliberate on your part, but that elevator was definitely going down. smile Very nice melody. I liked the unresolving surprise of some of its cadences. But then you're all over the map with music, and its always fun to discover where you're going to go next. Thanks for the cool ride.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Just a person listening. Want to encourage you all. Nice entertainment from everyone.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
peterws #2290202 06/15/14 07:38 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by peterws
Here`s my contribution

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......thats the sound of listening to something very satisfying, excellent work.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
peterws #2290307 06/16/14 03:26 AM

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Did you get all those instruments from your DGX? Very fun. Did you play them all at the same time somehow or all separately? Very nice.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission