2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 78 of 98 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 97 98
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Any of you have Mother's Day gigs? Those can be rough. Last year I got caught in a major bike race on my way to the castle, ended up having to hobble in my heels about three miles to get to the gig, got stuck in a thunderstorm, and arrived at the job looking like the Bride of Frankenstein. This year I am sending a sub to the Mother's Day castle gig, because I'm booked to do a reading ("Married to the Bass" from Piano Girl) at an event for the mayor of Cologne. My husband (the bassist) will be playing for me while I read this tome, which is appropriate since Sunday is also our 23rd wedding anniversary. Maybe I should call the piece "STILL Married to the Bass."

Tomorrow night, Saturday, I am also ditching my castle duties so I can play for a dinner party for European Titans of Industry on top of a tower that overlooks the Rhine. I hope no one jumps. I hope no one falls. I hope the piano is in tune.

Wishing you all a fabulous weekend!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
My regular Mothers' Day gig is attending the Mother of the Year ceremony on Saturday. My wife (2002) is not going this year, due to a conflict, but I always try to make it. The ceremony is within walking distance. They are interesting women!

The woman who runs the ceremony and I arrange the Oakland Municipal Band concerts. I spend a little time trying to track down some of the recipients who have dropped out of sight. The difficulty is when the name is not uncommon, so I do not know which one it is.

Last night, my wife and I went to an event set up by a service center for the homeless where she volunteers. This reminded me of one of the other Mothers of the Year, Joan Sparks, who I had trouble tracing, until one of the other Mothers said to look for "Joan Sparks Lion Tamer." That led to this article.

Semipro Tech
T
T
I have to break the silence of my lurking to post this, the best ad for a wedding band I have ever seen or will see. A stroke of pure genius, with the occasional strong language.

http://m.tickld.com/funny/t/797695

And once again, thanks to all who keep this thread going smile

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
BDB, sounds like your annual mother's day gig is one of merit. Love the Joan Sparks story. What a gal. With all the Hallmark hoopla and flowers and candy and lunch buffets, we forget how important it is to recognize women like Joan. She should have her own "day."

Torre, thanks for this link. You're right—funniest thing EVER.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
RMG is a Steinway Artist
B
BDB Offline
B
This years recipient, Lisa Klein, is a young mother who wanted to pass on her children's outgrown baby clothes to families in need. She found a church in Louisiana that was sheltering refugees from Katrina. So she put out a call on her mothers' network for baby clothes, and immediately got 200 pounds of clothing. She divided them into boxes of boy's clothes and girls clothes and sent them off. Right after that, she got an additional 100 pounds, and that was the impetus for her to found Loved Twice.

There are remarkable people in this world!

Semipro Tech
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Torre
I have to break the silence of my lurking to post this, the best ad for a wedding band I have ever seen or will see. A stroke of pure genius, with the occasional strong language.

http://m.tickld.com/funny/t/797695

And once again, thanks to all who keep this thread going smile

-That was pretty funny, thanks.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'll Take "Famous Weddings" for $200...

I say this, because I don't want to say "Famous Couplings," for reasons which are too obvious to discuss in the hearing of genteel ears.

1928 – Mickey and Minnie Mouse made their film debut in the animated cartoon Plane Crazy.
(from Wiki)

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Famous Couplings would get us banned, for sure. But what fun we would have.

Clef, funny you should bring up Mickey and Minnie—just yesterday we had a potential bride tour the castle (the sales-pitch tour on the part of the sales office). She really looked like Minnie Mouse, with the big bow in her hair and the red polka dot skirt.

My daughter got roped into singing/playing for free last weekend at the wedding of a teacher's friend. She darn near froze to death in the old stone church (there is nothing colder than a European church in May) and was rewarded following the ceremony with a 10€ drug store gift certificate and a package of strawberry facial masque.

Live and learn! She said it was fun, but it took her fours hours to warm up after she got home.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
R
R
Hey guys,
I thought it would be perfect for this thread to share my brand-new Wedding Pianist blog!

You can see here that I was very excited to play at a castle! I kept thinking of Robin -- I'm sure it's not as impressive as where she plays, but still pretty cool!

Rehearsal Dinner at Rhodes Hall

This was a beautiful lake wedding:
Lake Lanier Wedding

And this has some great photos, including some cute ones of the flower girl and ringbearer:
Callanwolde Wedding

And this was a surprise wedding where I got to play Lady Gaga songs:

Surprise Wedding

More to come soon -- I'm just waiting on photos from the last two weddings I played for.

Enjoy! smile

Last edited by Redhead1; 05/25/14 03:50 PM.

Jennifer McCoy Blaske
Pianist and Author
www.PianoJenny.com
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wow, Redhead1, it's been so fun to watch your piano career develop - I remember when you first got the gig at the dept store! This is a lovely website. Congratulations, and you do a great, professional job.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Fantastic, Redhead! Your site looks great and I know it will pull in a lot of business for you.

The only way forward in this crazy business is to be proactive, and you are accomplishing this with tremendous style. Plus it looks like you're having fun at the same time.

Excellent, that's what I say.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
T
T
I haven't been gigging lately at all, just got back from Russia teaching English to a private family. They had a grand piano in the home but it wasn't the best and slightly out of tune and poor action.

Actually I was looking at solo hotel residencies in Asia or Dubai, but sadly I have come to realize that all they want are pretty ladies who look good and can play passably. Basically eye candy for the guests.

As a guy my chances are zilch in landing that job.

I've learned that gigs should be treated as fun and a bonus. Better to do something else for a proper job and play for enjoyment.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There's cross-dressing. Look what it did for Tootsie.

On the other hand, the waxing is murder.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 06/13/14 10:44 PM.

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Ha! I wonder if this year's Eurovision Song Contest winner, Conchita Wurst, a cross-dresser wearing a killer sequined evening gown and sporting a beard, would let a little gender discrimination stop her.

Seriously, I have been dealing with this topic for years— listening to whispered comments like: "she only gets the gigs because she looks nice at the piano." This is probably true in some cases—at least this is why I've gotten some jobs to begin with (although that's changing as I age!), but I hold onto gigs because I know what I'm doing and I'm good at it. Cocktail gigs are NOT just about playing the piano—you have to be personable, willing to put up with a lot of weirdness, offer psychological counseling to wayward guests, and, yes, play the piano at the same time.

That said, I have been shut out of many gigs because the powers that be want a guy in a tuxedo (who can do all of the above). For every gig I've gotten because I'm a woman, I've lost one because I'm not. It is what it is.

As far as this thread is concerned, male pianists are much more popular for weddings. The brides and their mothers do the hiring, so this is a no brainer. I've actually gotten more work as I've aged, because, due to some well placed wrinkles, I'm not longer a "hot-tamale" threat to the star of the day. Trust me, most brides would much rather hire a man.

Then, believe it or not, there are places and people (sometimes even brides) who actually hire musicians based on the music, regardless of gender. It happens. Thank goodness.

So, Wind, forget about Dubai and head to one of the many cities that actually prefers men on the bench. Clef's right, waxing is way too painful!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I've been hired over people who play better because I show up on time (and that means half hour early), stay sober, and laugh at the director's jokes no matter how bad.

gotta go practice
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Better brides, or brides with better sense, might think twice about hiring that handsome man in a nice tuxedo. But as long as it's about decor, maybe it doesn't really matter to them. But Robin is decor too. As for having wrinkles, I don't believe it.

Having a sober performer is an interesting perspective. I have it on good authority--- drinkers, and especially lushes--- that people who are drinking don't like being around people who aren't.

But I think the clincher, for repeat engagements, is giving the wedding planner the impression you think they're just the smartest, most tasteful, best fashion sense, etc., and that eye for those special touches that make the occasion so memorable. Yes, and the funny, lighthearted jokes to keep everyone in such a good mood. Personally, having the pushy person with the clipboard step on a rat trap when headed your way, with some bossy instructions on the tip of her tongue, is my idea of ROTFL. When they've already taken a deep breath (and maybe even a drink), they squawk that much louder, with a pretty good likelihood (better than 50%; I would think closer to 75) of taking the Lord's name in vain, right there in the nave. We could call it having a lapse in the apse. I admit that some people might see it as hostile and not really funny at all. I admit the former sin, but there's no denying the crowd appeal.

Proof might be scarce, but suspicion might linger in the vicinity of the piano; that triple forte intermezzo, intended to drown out a sustained cussing streak might strike some as facile, or even as rehearsed. Yes, almost as if it were planned. Hmmmmmm... but the big question is, are there actually rats? If you're thinking ahead to the Big Day, that means the sexton would have to be greased. Well, we're playing the odds; no telling how the cards will fall (unless, maybe, you do know)...

Clef

T
T
Hmm interesting, I've never heard of clients preferring to hire men, especially at weddings. But that makes sense if they don't want competition for the bride. I never thought of it that way.

From my own observations about hiring practices in the 5 star hotels overseas, I just saw a trend of female pianists. Unless you double as a great singer I haven't seen too many guys do cocktail piano overseas.

What I really should do is get out of the piano and start DJing! If you google the top earners you will be shocked that they command millions and are jetted around like rock stars.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
My daughter graduated from high school this past weekend (German Abitur degree), so I've been busy entertaining visiting dignitaries (my parents) from the USA. I did play one wedding a week ago, an episode I am tentatively calling "The Gynecologist and the Singing Bride." I'll report back here with details as soon as I make my final airport run to drop off the departing dignitaries. Clef, you're going to love this one.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Wind
Hmm interesting, I've never heard of clients preferring to hire men, especially at weddings. But that makes sense if they don't want competition for the bride. I never thought of it that way.

From my own observations about hiring practices in the 5 star hotels overseas, I just saw a trend of female pianists. Unless you double as a great singer I haven't seen too many guys do cocktail piano overseas.

What I really should do is get out of the piano and start DJing! If you google the top earners you will be shocked that they command millions and are jetted around like rock stars.

You could start your own forum, DJ World -- you'd be great at it!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Completely off topic, but I have to share.

Just sent my oldest daughter to Moldova for two years with the Peace Corps.

Nothing wedding or piano related, sorry. Oh, except for it's a lot quieter around the house.

gotta go practice
Page 78 of 98 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 97 98

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission