2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
A simple way to get 10% off a DP and related gear from a reputable shop:

This morning I got an email from Sweetwater.com saying that through Monday June 16, buy a gift certificate for any amount (up to US $2,000 per household) and Sweetwater will add an additional 10% to the amount. Their gift certificates do not expire.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Turnabout
A simple way to get 10% off a DP and related gear from a reputable shop:

This morning I got an email from Sweetwater.com saying that through Monday June 16, buy a gift certificate for any amount (up to US $2,000 per household) and Sweetwater will add an additional 10% to the amount. Their gift certificates do not expire.

Thanks Turnabout. Thats a great catch. Also posted on their website:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/giftcertificate/

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Good find!

Can these certificates be used with the 10%-15% discounts that are occasionally available?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Good find!

Can these certificates be used with the 10%-15% discounts that are occasionally available?

Cheers,
James
x

Good question. "combos" are usually unacceptable. But maybe acceptable in this case since it is a prepaid gift card. Maybe worth calling ahead if you have a high end purchase in mind.
Note: I have made some purchases from Sweetwater in the past. Great people over there. Be sure to ask for a discount on anything. Good chance you will be a happy camper!

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 06/11/14 09:31 PM. Reason: fixed all kinds of typo errors
Online Content
Actually this would be equivalent to a 9.090909...% discount sale wink

Viscount Legend '70s Artist-W EX
Kawai MP7
OP Offline
Good find!

Sweetwater rarely has any discounts like that, it's usually sales on specific items or from specific brands. But the answer appears to be yes - since it's a prepaid gift certificate it can be used to pay for anything there.

This seems to suddenly be Musical Sale Season though! I just got an email from Musicians Friend and they're running a 15%-off gift certificate up to US$5,000 (beating Sweetwater's 10%).

Last edited by Turnabout; 06/12/14 07:25 PM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Maybe it's a stupid question, but can you get the gift certificate for yourself (to have 10% more) or it has to be a gift to someone else (nowhere it's mentioned you can (or can't) use it for yourself)

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Maybe it's a stupid question, but can you get the gift certificate for yourself (to have 10% more) or it has to be a gift to someone else (nowhere it's mentioned you can (or can't) use it for yourself)

You can use it yourself - two options are having Sweetwater mail the certificate to you (or email it to you). By doing so they do not ask for a name of a recipient, and you can use the certificate whenever you want.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/giftcertificate/

N
N
Originally Posted by Turnabout
Good find!

Sweetwater rarely has any discounts like that, it's usually sales on specific items or from specific brands. But the answer appears to be yes - since it's a prepaid gift certificate it can be used to pay for anything there.

This seems to suddenly be Musical Sale Season though! I just got an email from Musicians Friend and they're running a 15%-off gift certificate up to US$5,000 (beating Sweetwater's 10%).

I just got a large gift certificate at MF. Should I call later and ask for a discount on specific gear and see if I can double discount?

Online Content
Originally Posted by newbies
I just got a large gift certificate at MF. Should I call later and ask for a discount on specific gear and see if I can double discount?

Definitely worth a try.

James
x

A big thank you to Turnabout. On Sunday I took advantage of the 15% discount on the gift certificate at Muscians Friend. It was a real 15% because you pay 15% less than the amount. I got one for $2799 & paid $2379.15 for it. Also put it on AMEX where I get another 2% back. Looks like I might have a particular instrument in mind. smile I am going to wait until July 4th to see if any stores has a sale and then we will see if I can double dip or not. Even if I can't, I am in an 8% sales tax area, so that really starts to be really appealing with the 15% savings. 15+8+2 = 25% and the possibility for maybe another discount. I bought the certificate in my partner's name so I don't have to worry about buying it for myself. I been in a market for a new DP for a while now and was lax & didn't notice the 15% discount that I had been waiting for.

Is there anyplace on the forum that you can post used instruments for sale? Or good ideas of where to list them at. I now have a MP8 in excellent condition that needs to go so I have room for the ll.

Don
E
ECP Offline
E
Hi Don, after you do some research I urge you to contact you local independently owned music store and see if they can work with you. (Hopefully there is one in your area). I know as a small shop owner we try to meet internet prices and certainly provide superior service. Of course it can't be done all the time but it is worth a shot.

James Nicoloro
East Cambridge Piano
Massachusetts
617-529-4061
James,

I very much respect what you have to say about the local independently owned music store. In 1979, I moved to Atlanta, after being a district manager for Everett (Yamaha) pianos for 17 states (including Massachusetts), to open my own piano/organ store. Fortunately for me that didn't work out and I went to work for AT&T & have retired. History points out that piano & organ dealers don't have the internet to fear, but big chain piano and organ stores promising to sell more pianos in their area if they would get the franchise. And of course, more piano sales equals more commissions for the district manager! Well, there are not any pop organs anymore, but in the 70's they were moving a lot faster than pianos).

I have checked with the local Kawai dealer here in Atlanta on 2 different occasions (The old dealer & the new dealer. (I even worked for old dealer 34 years ago. Even though they have hundreds of pianos, hugh stores, & nothing floor planned, they are not interested in carrying any of Kawai's slab pianos.

Since I use to sell pianos for a living, I suggested that the Kawai slab pianos would be a great addition to their store because of all the work they do with churches. Today, lots of churches have bands in either their main service or an alternate service. I suggested to them that with churches they were probably less likely to shop on-line stores as churches need some hand holding, a music committee decision, in church try out for a couple of weeks, etc. which on-line stores just can't provide.

They still both were not interested. So I am guilt free as I gave them a both of them a chance. Still a mystery to me that a dealer that doesn't floor plan but has a hundred pianos on the floor (Atlanta) would choose not to invest in the wholesale price to have a MP11 or 7 on their floor in a corner to show churches or any of the many people on this forum who can't find Kawai slab instruments to try. Matching a price shouldn't be that painful and much better than losing a sale and giving it to your competor on-line store.

Our other stores in town are Guitar Center (Chain) who doesn't carry Kawai and Sam Ash (Chain). I did buy my MP8 from Sam Ash several years ago, but 80 percent of their pianos on their floor in Atlanta are models that are no longer made!!! I am not surprised as when I bought my MP8 I wanted them to throw in a set of headphones and the manager was going to let me walk. I am sure they had that mp8 on their floor quite a while. It was closing time and the salesman called the main office of Sam Ash to get the deal through as the manager wouldn't budge. Now that is a go getter sales person who would go over their boss.

I did find a local independent dealer when I visited Los Angeles (Pierre's Fine Pianos) that had Kawai and Roland slab pianos next to their Fazioli concert grands. Now that is a sight to see. smile I was there for a visit and discovered his store and was there for a couple of hours. He said at the time he would match prices. When the MP11 came out I knew he would have one. I sent him an e-mail and asked him on his thoughts on the instrument. I reminded him that I had been in his store about 3 years ago to jog his memory (he is a 1 man owner store). He was very slow to get back with me (2 weeks) and no follow-up even though I said I was very interested in the MP11. I was willing to fly back to Los Angeles to play on it before I bought it from him as I hate to buy things sight unseen. Not a cheap undertaking, but I could have gotten some more site seeing in the Los Angeles area.

James, If I lived in Massachusetts, I am certain I would have bought from you. I am sure you do follow-up of your prospects because of the note you wrote to me. And I believe you must have a Kawai MP11 on your floor or have had one. I truly believe if you do things correctly you can compete with on-line stores, hard, but all good business people work very hard. But I have a gift certificate to Musican's Friend that I need to cash in.

I hope that many of the forum members that are looking for an MP11 or 7 will contact you, and maybe even come to Cambridge to see and experience the piano. There are lots of things to see and do where you are. A vacation and a big souvenir (MP11) to remember your visit to Cambridge and visit to your fine store. smile If I am vacationing again in Massachusetts I will look you up as I love piano stores. I guess I haven't got it out of my system yet of owning my own piano store. smile

Don
Online Content
Don, many thanks for sharing your shopping experience.

Kind regards,
James
x

Online Content
Originally Posted by pianobear100
A big thank you to Turnabout. On Sunday I took advantage of the 15% discount on the gift certificate at Muscians Friend. It was a real 15% because you pay 15% less than the amount. I got one for $2799 & paid $2379.15 for it. Also put it on AMEX where I get another 2% back. Looks like I might have a particular instrument in mind. smile I am going to wait until July 4th to see if any stores has a sale and then we will see if I can double dip or not. Even if I can't, I am in an 8% sales tax area, so that really starts to be really appealing with the 15% savings. 15+8+2 = 25% and the possibility for maybe another discount. I bought the certificate in my partner's name so I don't have to worry about buying it for myself. I been in a market for a new DP for a while now and was lax & didn't notice the 15% discount that I had been waiting for.

Is there anyplace on the forum that you can post used instruments for sale? Or good ideas of where to list them at. I now have a MP8 in excellent condition that needs to go so I have room for the ll.

I think the discount would be more like 23.364% wink

Viscount Legend '70s Artist-W EX
Kawai MP7
Musical Dan,

You know what they say. Math and Music are very closely related. If that is so, you must be an awesome piano player.

I have visited Sidney & Cairns. It is a place where pony tail palms and poinsettia are trees growing wild instead of house plants.

Don

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission