2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2288016 06/10/14 09:47 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello everyone,
I have a Vpiano hooked up to two Yamaha speakers.
When I play the demo of the Chopin Ballade (which comes pre-installed on the piano), it sounds great playing through the speakers. The sound of the piano through speakers when I actually play, though, sounds nothing like the sound of the demo. It sounds muddled and washed out. For this reason, I have stuck to playing through my headphones, which sounds fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tweak the Vpiano to sound the exact same way in the demo mode as it does through normal playing through the speakers? Thanks for any help on the matter.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I know nothing about the V-piano, but is it possible that the demos have a different EQ setting or other sound setting (reverb, touch sensitivity, etc.)? I'm kind of guessing it may be that the demo was done on a different setting than what you use when you play, but not exactly sure of that.

It's also possible the demo is an audio recording done on a V-piano, and played back through the speakers, but usually demos use the on-board sounds so I doubt that's the problem.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes - with those demos, they have their secret ways of tarting things up, even using the raw materials of the sound engine in question.

Back in the 80's, I had a Roland D110 modular synth which had a selection of 6 or so very professionally finished demos to show off its (then spectacular) multi-timbral capabilities. There were people who would mutter that it was impossible to reproduce that quality of sound just with the D110, but I remain convinced that it would have been possible with the module hooked up to a computer with Cubase. But even so, it would have taken very profound programing skills: there were sophisticated effects with stereo placement and ambiance, among other things.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
B
B
Originally Posted by maximumtiti
Hello everyone,
I have a Vpiano hooked up to two Yamaha speakers.
When I play the demo of the Chopin Ballade (which comes pre-installed on the piano), it sounds great playing through the speakers. The sound of the piano through speakers when I actually play, though, sounds nothing like the sound of the demo. It sounds muddled and washed out. For this reason, I have stuck to playing through my headphones, which sounds fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tweak the Vpiano to sound the exact same way in the demo mode as it does through normal playing through the speakers? Thanks for any help on the matter.

The V has so many possibilities to tweak it that you'll probably need to spend several days just to try to replicate as closely as possible a particular piano sound you've heard.

Have you gone through all the parameters that are tweakable (which are basically just about everything)?

First, you have to use the speakers to tweak the sound from, not your headphones, which will give different tonal characteristics. Then on Vintage Piano 1, go to 'Tone Parameter' and increase the 'tone color' to +1 or +2 to brighten up the sound, and increase the 'sound lift' slightly. On my V-Piano, that's the same sound as on the demo that I hear through my headphones (I don't have speakers).

If music be the food of love, play on!
maximumtiti, you can perhaps contact Roland to ask which settings/preset was used to record this demo, then select it for your own performance.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
OP Offline
M
I did try contacting Roland directly. The support department wasn't very helpful. They didn't know the actual settings for the demo. They basically told me to mess with the EQ settings.

M
M
I did try contacting Roland directly. The support department wasn't very helpful. They didn't know the actual settings for the demo. They basically told me to mess with the EQ settings.
Most likely the people who spoke to had nothing to do with recording the demo. I'm sure someone knows, but tracking that info down would be a pain and most people wouldn't want to go through the trouble. I would have been very happily amazed if they offered to do this, but oh well.

All I can think of is posting a recording of a portion of the demo and then of you playing (preferably the same segment as on the demo), and then people here may be able to offer you suggestions on things that you can tweak to get it in the ballpark (I'm presuming here, of course, that those knowledgable in such things with ears for such things would be willing to spend a little time doing this).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
I did try what you suggested. It helped a little, but the bass notes still lack the punch of the demo. I'll mess around with all the settings and hopefully get something closer. I realize that sound through the headphones is not going to sound like the sound through the speakers, but I didn't realize that the demo for the Vintage Piano setting would sound (with the same speakers, at the same volume level on the speakers) so different (and this case, superior) to the untweaked setting for Vintage Piano. Thanks for the advice.
On a side note, have you ever used Pianoteq with your VPiano? I know nothing about Pianoteq, but I saw a Youtube video of a pianist named Phil Best who, from the video, looks like he uses Pianoteq in conjunction with his VPiano. Wanted to know if you had any experience with it. Thanks again.

Hmmm... perhaps Roland Jay (a member here on Pianoworld) will be able to offer some alternative suggestions?

I believe there are also 3 (4?) V-Piano owners on this forum, so perhaps bennevis, Kona, or pv88 will also provide some additional ideas.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
I did try what you suggested. It helped a little, but the bass notes still lack the punch of the demo. I'll mess around with all the settings and hopefully get something closer. I realize that sound through the headphones is not going to sound like the sound through the speakers, but I didn't realize that the demo for the Vintage Piano setting would sound (with the same speakers, at the same volume level on the speakers) so different (and this case, superior) to the untweaked setting for Vintage Piano. Thanks for the advice.
On a side note, have you ever used Pianoteq with your VPiano? I know nothing about Pianoteq, but I saw a Youtube video of a pianist named Phil Best who, from the video, looks like he uses Pianoteq in conjunction with his VPiano. Wanted to know if you had any experience with it. Thanks again.

I don't use an external computer with my V - actually, I don't know how to. But as I play it like a real piano anyway, I can't really be bothered having to spend several minutes connecting my laptop to it every time I want to play.

The recording level of the demo music is set much higher than that when you play - I nearly deafened myself yesterday when listening to it via my headphones (I haven't changed the volume setting on my V for three years, and haven't listened to the demos for four years....).

Speakers sound brighter, punchier and clearer when the volume is pushed up - try matching the volume of your playing (by pushing up the volume control) to that of the demo music and see if the sound matches the demos.

If music be the food of love, play on!
K
K
I concur with bennevis, it is probably the volume in this case causing most of the problem you are hearing.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission