2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 334 of 540 1 2 332 333 334 335 336 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Great stories, as usual. I love reading this thread. I'm not writing individual comments as I wanted to do, but I'm following all your achievements day by day.

Just to announce that I'm going to participate in the second edition of BESTalent - a contest organized by my company -. This time I'm going to play "Life" - Ludovico Einaudi - and my goal is to make the finals as I did last year.

Last year I "won" this video with "Indaco"

Best of luck, although you certainly don't need it!

Every time I watch this video (which is not infrequently) I think it's a shame that it doesn't have more views. I'm sure many more people would be able to enjoy this performance if only they would put Einaudi's name and the name of the piece in the description. As it is, the video is in a bit of a black hole as it's impossible to find it by searching on YouTube.

Maybe you could get Screen Miguel Nabinho to edit the description?

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by barbaram
Oddsox, thanks for sharing your beautiful story. Honestly, it nearly brought a tear to my eye to read about your mother rediscovering her joy in making music

Ditto. That was wonderful.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Great stories, as usual. I love reading this thread. I'm not writing individual comments as I wanted to do, but I'm following all your achievements day by day.

Just to announce that I'm going to participate in the second edition of BESTalent - a contest organized by my company -. This time I'm going to play "Life" - Ludovico Einaudi - and my goal is to make the finals as I did last year.

Last year I "won" this video with "Indaco"

Best of luck, although you certainly don't need it!

Every time I watch this video (which is not infrequently) I think it's a shame that it doesn't have more views. I'm sure many more people would be able to enjoy this performance if only they would put Einaudi's name and the name of the piece in the description. As it is, the video is in a bit of a black hole as it's impossible to find it by searching on YouTube.

Right.
Well, I created my own channel, right now. It has only one video - this one smile - and I added some references as you wisely suggested.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/PianoCarlosCC/videos

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

Right.
Well, I created my own channel, right now. It has only one video - this one smile - and I added some references as you wisely suggested.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/PianoCarlosCC/videos

Cool... Now, if we could just get rid of that horribly jarring intro! eek

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Does finishing a piece count? I received permission to put away Bourrée in G minor by Stölzel. I posted the recording in June Piano Bar. What has me excited though is the end of level 5 is at hand, seeing the light at the end of this tunnel. Was assigned the last of the harder pieces of level 5 - Etude no. 4 In Church by Tchaikovsky. I am so ready to put my level 5 books away, but not yet. All right Mr. Tchaikovsky, you are standing between me and level 6.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Wow, so much activity.
Ragdoll, hope you find a teacher that you like soon.
Donzo (and others), I also enjoy arranging, in part because it helps me compose.

Week 117: A Songmakers friend performs at a local venue and I go. The three performers are all singer-songwriters on guitars. All are good musicians with CDs of their original music. There is an aging upright piano on stage, I joke with someone else that I should go up and play it in between sets. The evening reinforces in my mind, how hard it can be to make it as a performing musician. My friend is no longer trying to make her living that way, but it seemed like the other two performers are. Their stories, their song lyrics, paint a life full of hard knocks, with the more fortunate half barely eeking out a living. Those that enjoy singer-songwriters can find two of them on Youtube, Kate Isenberg, and Kris Delhorst.

As for my piano week, I continue to work on my new piece. The music feels self-indulgent, and I feel drawn to the title "Between Raindrops." I work on a new cover song, Roberta Flack's, Killing Me Softly. As usual, I do my own arrangement.

One day I decide to sit down and play all the pieces I have memorized. I get to eight or nine pieces, about 15 to 20 minutes of piano music, alternating between originals and covers. My piano set sounds pretty good to me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, hope you find a teacher that you like soon.

Thank you Sand Tiger, encouragement is always welcomed.

If only that were the only criteria. I liked both the ones I interviewed but didn't feel one was qualified to teach (although a fine piano player) and couldn't afford the other. Others I had called were too far away or in iffy neighborhoods, or both, no openings, inferior instruments, etc.

While a good rapport with ones mentor is certainly important, it's only one of many qualities I want to spend capital and time on. I will keep looking; I know there is one out there for me smile It's harder than it seems to be sure.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
AOTW: Finally, finally I succeeded in playing a piece with the pedal OK.
It just didn't work out, foot didn't connect with brain, I lifted at instead of a split second after the beat.
Just two weeks ago I proposed to do an easy pedal piece (The Choral from the Album from the Young of Schumann) and it worked out great. Now I'm allowed to play the other pieces out of the book which I was denied earlier since I couldn't use the pedal correctly.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
wimpiano - Isn't it nice when a little extra hard work pays off? Now that you have the hang of it I'd be willing to bet it won't be too long before pedaling becomes very instinctual, something you don't really focus on most of the time.

Sand Tiger -
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
One day I decide to sit down and play all the pieces I have memorized. I get to eight or nine pieces, about 15 to 20 minutes of piano music, alternating between originals and covers. My piano set sounds pretty good to me.

Congratulations, Sand Tiger, having 15 to 20 minutes of memorized music at your fingertips is really quite an accomplishment! You have really come a long way in the last year or two, especially with restricted practice times and other physical issues. Serious kudos. Be careful though...folks may be putting you in that upper percentile you talk about before too long laugh

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wow, I was away for 4 days and there are 2 pages of posts to catch up on! mamma mia!

Jim thanks for the info on Ravel. My teacher was talking about his duets just the other day so your post made me very curious.

Carlos - Have fun with the new competition!!!

Oddsox - what a very touching story - lovely times shared with your mom.

Ragdoll - good luck with the ongoing teacher hunt.

Everyone else - sorry I dont have time for more specific comments!

My ATOW...none! ..or maybe it was getting through my lesson without crashing after 4 days of not playing anything...?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@JimF Thanks!! I hope so!

@8Octaves, of course it counts! The Tchaikovsky piece is lovely though so you can exit Level 5 with a Grande Finale smile

@SandTiger, you should just have done it (gotten on stage), imagine how much fun it would've been smile Ok, it would take a lot of guts and not being afraid of total embarassement but with the right attitude you could get away with it laugh (I wouldn't have, either though) Nice story!

@Ragdoll, just out of interest, why did you feel that the good pianist wasn't qualified to teach? Knowledge? Or? Or not being really "teacher alike" wink (does that exists?) My brother started teaching younger students when he was 18-19 and still studying, he had no teaching experience but it worked out very well (I sometimes talk to his former students). It was not his goal to be a music teacher for life though, he has different job now.

@Casinitaly wow.. 4 days no playing, must have been awful wink Still on the MOYD track? haha..

Last edited by wimpiano; 06/11/14 03:40 AM.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wimpiano
AOTW: Finally, finally I succeeded in playing a piece with the pedal OK.
It just didn't work out, foot didn't connect with brain, I lifted at instead of a split second after the beat.
Just two weeks ago I proposed to do an easy pedal piece (The Choral from the Album from the Young of Schumann) and it worked out great. Now I'm allowed to play the other pieces out of the book which I was denied earlier since I couldn't use the pedal correctly.

Congratulations, Wimpiano. Chorale was the piece I learned "overlapping pedal" on earlier this year. My teacher and I spent some time with it during the lesson (read: I didn't get it at first, but she was very patient with me :)). Once I got home and worked on it a bit, it clicked. What book are you working from?

Sand Tiger, JimF is right--if you know what repertoire means and you can spell it and you *have* one, you're getting up there. grin What do you mean by your 'Between Raindrops' (love that title) piece feeling like "self-indulgent" music?

Ragdoll, best wishes on your search for a new teacher. You seem to know what you want in a teacher and you're willing to wait for it.

Cas, wow, four days! What a slacker! wink

My AOTW--though it's taken more like half a year. I realized the other day that I've calmed down quite a bit during my lessons. When I started, there were times when my hands shook. I still make errors right and left, but my nerves are much better under control, and for that I am very thankful.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, just out of interest, why did you feel that the good pianist wasn't qualified to teach? Knowledge?

Well, she was a piano player, in fact sounded better than me by far on some pieces played without sheet music , but was self taught (no formal edu) and had less than a year of experience teaching. Knew little theory/harmony, could not read well enough to play well any of the music I brought along, and believe me it wasn't rocket science. I wasn't willing to pay what she asked considering all these issues. $20 for 1/2 hour. So $40 for an hour, which I need at least bi-monthly. That's not to say self taught players can't teach but this one wasn't for me and unqualified IMHO.

I have great hope for the lady my tuner recommended though. Her kids are just out of school for summer so she said she'd call in a week or so and set up an interview. They're off on vacation right now.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, best wishes on your search for a new teacher. You seem to know what you want in a teacher and you're willing to wait for it.

Thanks Stubbie,
yep I will persist until I find a good one. I may sound too picky to some but I've been burned a couple times, won't happen again. grin

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - good luck with the ongoing teacher hunt.

Oh thanks Cheryl, I will keep looking until I find her/him and am willing to pay up to $50 hr. But it's got to be the right one. grin
without crashing after 4 days of not playing anything

WOW! 4 days without bench time!! I'd be having DTs by now. Glad to see you past that.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I guess I should clarify...... it was actually only 3 days but I played really early on Friday and not much, so it felt like 4 full days.... (btw wimpiano - we are excused from MOYD when travelling or sick - in my case I was home in time to play on Monday, but had a massive headache so qualified to be excused on both counts smile )

BUT the really important thing is that I was in Paris for a family event (baptism) and ....well, it wasn't too hard to be distracted from the fact that I wasn't playing smile

2 cool things - our B&B was near the metropolitaine stop "Faure", and we had dinner next to "Rue Cesar Franck" --- now how nifty was that?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Casinitaly
edit: thought it (Metro Faure) was close to the Eiffel Tower but doublechecked and was off by a km.
I love Paris and go there every once in a while with my wife. We were actually engaged there.

Last edited by wimpiano; 06/12/14 06:18 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Stubbie

Sand Tiger, JimF is right--if you know what repertoire means and you can spell it and you *have* one, you're getting up there. grin What do you mean by your 'Between Raindrops' (love that title) piece feeling like "self-indulgent" music?

Hi Stubbie, true confession: it took me a while before I could spell repertoire without looking it up.

Self-indulgent is pleasing for the performer and/or composer, but not so much for the audience. I can tell a story. A recording artist came to my church to perform. His previous CD had been well received and sold well at the church. He was all excited, telling stories about his recent songwriting retreat into the desert and how he felt that his new CD was even better than the previous one.

Boy, what a disappointment. The adjective self-indulgent fit. The themes, the lyrics, even the music felt flat to me. The new music meant a lot to him, but I didn't care for it. Same for most of the rest of the audience, even though the composer and performer thought they were superb.

Songwriters, composers may not have a good sense for this. Sometimes a piece that I think is really good falls flat with audiences, and vice-versa. As I get more experience at the craft, hopefully I get a better feeling for what my audiences might appreciate. The other perspective is that there is nothing wrong with self-indulgent music.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Stubbie 3 books:
1. Essential Keyboard Repertoire Vol. 1. (Alfred Music) Main "course book" right now, fun little pieces.
2. Diabelli Op 149 (quatre mains). (Edition Peters) To play together with my wife.
3. Schumann Op 68. (ABRSM). Now only for pedal, love this music though.

J
J
@Ragdoll
I think you are wise in being picky with your teacher.
I am very happy with my teacher, I didn't do as much research as you are doing though.
My teacher came highly recommended from the music shop I bought my Alfred's book from. I also checked up her credentials on the Music professionals website and I saw she has a Bachelors degree in piano and theory.
The fact that she lives down the road from me was a bonus.

My achievement was that during my lesson this week I had an unexpected audience.
My teacher spotted her maid watching and listening to me play through the glass door.
Then later, when I played "Raisins & Almonds" her husband came through and said he recognised the tune, so he had to come through and listen as that was the song he waltzed to at his Bar Mitzvah all those years ago.
I was chuffed to have someone recognise the song coming from my own fingers.

Jeremy

Bach's motto : Let not your right hand know what the left is doing.

Started learning in March 2014
Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-one Book 1
Page 334 of 540 1 2 332 333 334 335 336 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission