Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (Animisha, AnnInMiami, BearLake, Bett, ando, Alex Hutor, astrotoy, brendon, 18 invisible), 1,279 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: scorpio] #2287977
06/10/14 07:22 AM
06/10/14 07:22 AM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
3000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Wow - very hard to guess. I prefer the tone of 1 slightly - it sounds a bit more stereo, and some notes have a bit more variation in timbre as the notes evolve, and I like that. So, I'd say No 1 is the sampled one, given my current attitude towards Pianoteq. ;^)

Neither recording sounds excellent to me though - nothing to do with the music (which I don't like) but the tone doesn't excite me in either recording.

Greg.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: scorpio] #2287998
06/10/14 08:39 AM
06/10/14 08:39 AM
P
PJ88 Offline
PJ88  Offline
P

Thanks to all who have responded so far. I'll reveal the details within 24 hours. Keep putting in your votes!

Normally, I'm not a big fan of Mozart sonatas, partly because I can't play them. But they serve as a acid test for software piano because they don't sound that exciting unless played extremely well on an extremely good piano in an extremely good hall. The one in the comparison also has huge dynamic contrast, which makes the testing a bit more comprehensive.

Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: scorpio] #2288017
06/10/14 10:04 AM
06/10/14 10:04 AM
Austria, EU
L
lophiomys Offline
500 Post Club Member
lophiomys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Austria, EU
My guess, 2nd is PT5.
The first sounds a bit muffled to me, the second much brighter, to the extend, it sometimes is ringing in my ears.

Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: scorpio] #2288043
06/10/14 11:23 AM
06/10/14 11:23 AM
Swabia
C
Cmin Offline
Cmin  Offline
C

Swabia
"Ideal Piano" has been mentioned before. Now what would that be? One thing for sure it would be boring. Not just that we would have nothing to complain about, but it would always sound the same. And what is ideal for one is definitely not ideal for the other.

Following this thread, I noticed that a lot of "critics" aren't quite aware (or don't know) what they are looking for and contradict each other in certain points.
Firstly, if you use cheap headphones or mediocre speakers, please do not judge PT or any other piano simulation. That would be like tasting wine with a stuffed nose.
Secondly, when you use a DP please set the velocity curves in PT appropriately. It makes a world of a difference and if it is set wrong it may sound bad.
Thirdly, what are you looking for or expecting from a piano simulation? "It should sound real?" What is "real"? Should it sound like an acoustic when you sit at the keys and play it? Should it sound like a CD recording in a concert hall and you're in the audience? Should it sound as if your sitting five meters from the player?
All this makes a HUGE difference in what you're looking for.

Don't forget: Pianoteq offers not just Sound Recording and Binaural as output settings, but also plain Stereophonic and Monophonic. Sometimes these are more appropriate for certain instances.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: Cmin] #2288060
06/10/14 12:00 PM
06/10/14 12:00 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Cmin
Secondly, when you use a DP please set the velocity curves in PT appropriately. It makes a world of a difference and if it is set wrong it may sound bad.

And how do you know/find the "appropriate" setting for the velocity curve ?

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: Cmin] #2288066
06/10/14 12:10 PM
06/10/14 12:10 PM
P
PJ88 Offline
PJ88  Offline
P

Don't forget: Pianoteq offers not just Sound Recording and Binaural as output settings, but also plain Stereophonic and Monophonic. Sometimes these are more appropriate for certain instances.

What exactly is the difference between sound recording and stereophonic? That's something I haven't quite figured out or read about. I thought most sound recordings are stereo (except surround of course).

Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: scorpio] #2288088
06/10/14 12:37 PM
06/10/14 12:37 PM
Swabia
C
Cmin Offline
Cmin  Offline
C

Swabia
dmd : I must admit it is a bit of trial and error. Using the velocity calibration gives you a pretty good starting point.

PJ88 : Sound recording gives you the opportunity to position up to 5 microphones in a virtual room in stereo or up to 5 outputs (surround).
Stereophonic uses no microphones and outputs a plain stereo signal.
Binaural simulates the actual hearing position of a virtual listener in stereo.

Last edited by Cmin; 06/10/14 12:41 PM.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: scorpio] #2288096
06/10/14 12:49 PM
P
PJ88 Offline
PJ88  Offline
P

I think Modartt is shooting themselves in the foot by not including properly tuned presets with the demo. Everything sounds so bad right out of the box. I have recorded a Steinway D (as a recordist, not a player) before and it sounded much better than PianoTeq's D4.

Having said that, I have to admit that after fiddling with mic positions and mic types and various other parameters, I was able to get a sound that I now find much more palatable. I'm sure I can get a sound that is workable for my purpose which is scoring for films.

Since I can only afford to buy one software piano at the moment, I probably will end up just getting PianoTeq for its tweakability and the various other cool sounds it can make. Its harpsichord is rather sweet.

Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: Macy] #2288097
B
Beakybird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Beakybird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by Macy

The common myth that a sampled piano can't produce 127 (the MIDI resolution) unique loudness/timbre combinations is ignorance and/or marketing speak. Sample interpolation is present in all sampled pianos, it is only a matter of the quality of the execution.

Most of the claims cited above are just marketing. State-of- ......

Hey Macy. You make an excellent point. There is a lot of modeling that goes on in the sampled pianos as well.

I hear from some on this forum that P5 doesn't sound real. Some prefer the sampled pianos. Others have the privilege of owning expensive grand pianos. That's fine.

I've been A/B ing Pianoteq 5 and Ivory II American Steinway D all week, and Pianoteq sounds more real or at least feels more real to me.

I play pop music, and I took the Bluethner Daily preset and brightened it up just a little, and I'm so thrilled with how it sounds and how it feels. The K2 sometimes lacks depth in the midrange, and the D4 is very good, but I don't like it as much as the Bluethner now.

With Ivory II, I wasn't truly feeling it. I thought maybe there's limitations to how real a piano is going to sound through headphones (I have Sennheiser HD650s), and I have KRK Rokit 5 G3 monitors that I got on a Black Friday special for $100 each. I thought, maybe my speakers aren't good enough.

I bought Pianoteq 4.5 a few months ago, and I was kind of mad at myself, because it did sound artificial when I played chords with the damper down.

So I guess that you have to play the product and make a decision based on that and not on theories of why the sampled piano is better because of more GB's and the modeled piano is better because of more complex algorithms.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: dmd] #2288111
06/10/14 01:28 PM
06/10/14 01:28 PM
france
Z
zack! Offline
zack!  Offline
Z

france
Originally Posted by dmd

And how do you know/find the "appropriate" setting for the velocity curve ?

I don't use PTQ, but I have seen that :

There is a "keyboard velocity curves" forum section :
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewforum.php?id=10
People discuss this tuning, and you find some consensus proposal by keyboard kind (roland, kawai, yamaha, casio, etc).

I think, I have seen in the dPTQ emo, a tutorial/tool that capture your outputs from you playing on instruction on your keyboard (strike the more pianissimo you can, then the more fortissimo, etc).

But a more advanced user can correct me if I mistake...

Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: Cmin] #2288114
06/10/14 01:34 PM
06/10/14 01:34 PM
france
Z
zack! Offline
zack!  Offline
Z

france
"Ideal Piano" has been mentioned before. Now what would that be? One thing for sure it would be boring. Not just that we would have nothing to complain about, but it would always sound the same. And what is ideal for one is definitely not ideal for the other.

Following this thread, I noticed that a lot of "critics" aren't quite aware (or don't know) what they are looking for and contradict each other in certain points.
Firstly, if you use cheap headphones or mediocre speakers, please do not judge PT or any other piano simulation. That would be like tasting wine with a stuffed nose.
Thirdly, what are you looking for or expecting from a piano simulation? "It should sound real?" What is "real"? Should it sound like an acoustic when you sit at the keys and play it? Should it sound like a CD recording in a concert hall and you're in the audience? Should it sound as if your sitting five meters from the player?
All this makes a HUGE difference in what you're looking for.

Yes, I think this is really an important feature (with room reverb), and making recordings position something you can tune, is really great. I don't have real experience of this, but frome a theoritical point of view, always thought it was key and really helping to give "liveliness" and "spatial presence" to synthetic sound.
Edit : something that is really an issue with entry/mid level DP (with default recording position and basic looped samples with "broken" stereophonic pan).

Last edited by zack!; 06/10/14 01:41 PM.
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: Cmin] #2288120
06/10/14 02:02 PM
06/10/14 02:02 PM
S
stamkorg Offline
stamkorg  Offline
S

That is why I proposed on the Pianoteq forum that the team works on an option that intoduces a minimal detuning each day, day after day, to lead to a clearly bad tuning after +/- 1 year, as it is on a real piano. You could be able to "retune" the piano with one click to its initial state when you hear that it is too out of tune for you.
But that has make a lot of people laugh there help

Last edited by stamkorg; 06/10/14 02:08 PM.
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: stamkorg] #2288145
06/10/14 03:17 PM
06/10/14 03:17 PM
france
Z
zack! Offline
zack!  Offline
Z

france
Originally Posted by stamkorg

That is why I proposed on the Pianoteq forum that the team works on an option that intoduces a minimal detuning each day, day after day, to lead to a clearly bad tuning after +/- 1 year, as it is on a real piano. You could be able to "retune" the piano with one click to its initial state when you hear that it is too out of tune for you.

Did you notice the "condition" slider [Mint .. Worn] above the PTQ keyboard ? And also the "random" button customization ?

Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: zack!] #2288158
06/10/14 03:40 PM
06/10/14 03:40 PM
S
stamkorg Offline
stamkorg  Offline
S

Hello, no I only have the Stage version.
But then again, if I am not wrong the condition and random levels are fix.

Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: stamkorg] #2288199
06/10/14 05:33 PM
06/10/14 05:33 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by stamkorg
. . .

One more step:

. . . Before you click the "reset" button,
. . . you must pay Pianoteq for a tuning !!! <g>

_That_ would be realistic.<g>

The "Stage" version _does_ have the "Condition" slider. Very interesting for honky-tonk blues.

The slider is quite sensitive. It goes quickly from "perfect" to "my dog is howling". Somewhere in-between is a nice "old piano" sound.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: Cmin] #2288209
06/10/14 05:54 PM
06/10/14 05:54 PM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
R_B  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

"Ideal" as in "DESIGN IDEAL" i.e. what the designer INTENDED the builder to actually "Build" - not what they finished up with as a result of material inconsistencies, manufacturing tolerances and compromises.
THOSE are why no two pianos of brand/model X/Y are the same.
However hard they try manufacturers can NOT build the design ideal - though they DO TRY.

There is no reason to believe that it would be "dull" or in any way boring.

Last edited by R_B; 06/10/14 08:13 PM.
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: Charles Cohen] #2288218
06/10/14 06:18 PM
06/10/14 06:18 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
[
The "Stage" version _does_ have the "Condition" slider. Very interesting for honky-tonk blues.

The slider is quite sensitive. It goes quickly from "perfect" to "my dog is howling". Somewhere in-between is a nice "old piano" sound.

. Charles

Thanks for reminding us about this parameter - it's one of the most intriguing on Pianoteq. I agree it's very sensitive, but I'd also say it's a great deal more subtle than the usual honky-tonk procedure - which is a detune or delay-line of a common and primative type. This mint-worn slider, on the other hand, really does seem to bring on an attack of mildew and eventually warps the frame out of shape. Great stuff!

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: PJ88] #2288371
06/11/14 05:47 AM
06/11/14 05:47 AM
P
PJ88 Offline
PJ88  Offline
P

Originally Posted by PJ88
I made a couple of demos. One using a cheap Steinway D sample. The other is PT 5 D4 Player Clean. Added the same kind and same amount of reverb. Could you tell which one is the PT 5?

Mozart excerpts

EDIT: Not my playing. Just renders of a MIDI file from http://www.piano-midi.de/mozart.htm

Mozart 1 was Steinway D that comes with GarageBand latest version. I didn't know until yesterday that the piano in GarageBand is actually quite usable.

Mozart 2 was PT5. I think the giveaway other than the sound was the missing C# in the right hand because if the demo restrictions.

To my ears, both sounded fake at different places. The narrow stereo in PT5 is really bad microphone setting and stereo width value.

Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: scorpio] #2325504
09/08/14 07:57 PM
09/08/14 07:57 PM
I
imustlearn Offline
imustlearn  Offline
I

I've recently purchased P5 , I did have EWQL GOLD but trying to get the software working drives me crazy . Don't forget you also need a decent PC rig to run it properly . But the sound is fantastic nonetheless .

What I really like about P5 is thatís its extremely simple to use , basic interface , software takes up hardly any space . In regards to the sound , I think itís good enough for what I need . Then again I haven't tested any other apart from EWQL

I'd really like to give Ivory 2 ago but thereís no demo , and I really don't want to fork out several hundred dollars just to try.
Wish more piano VST companies have demoís available like P5 .

Casio PX850
Re: Pianoteq 5 [Re: scorpio] #2355746
11/28/14 10:24 AM
11/28/14 10:24 AM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
R_B  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Hmmm.... 30% off upgrades, e.g. stage to standard, standard to pro - black Friday "deal".

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Polished Ebony Finish
by Romar. 07/16/19 07:02 PM
1973 Mason & Hamlin Model A
by vickie1124. 07/16/19 06:12 PM
Digital Piano Headphones
by Romar. 07/16/19 05:53 PM
NAMM 2019 - New Releases? - What to expect?
by Romar. 07/16/19 05:47 PM
Kawai Bluetooth MIDI and Windows?
by magicpiano. 07/16/19 02:50 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,037
Posts2,849,121
Members93,895
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission