2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well done smile Nothing like a gig to kick you into high gear.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Cathy! A little risky to be trying this so early but I guess that's how one learns.

I noticed btw that there seems to be zero "organ" activity in this entire forum. No one in Digital likes organ? I'm surprised at the fun textures in sounds one can get with a Hammond organ sound (if one knows how). And generally, it is easier to learn technique than piano.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nothing more fun (and challenging) than playing organ IMO. I still have my lovely old Conn organ (with pedals) in the back room and enjoy playing it now & then. Here was one of my favorite songs to play on it back then:

MR. SANDMAN: https://app.box.com/shared/oostt4g0i4

Last edited by Elssa; 06/07/14 10:32 PM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
That's so cool Elssa! Do you play the pedals too?

So a Conn organ has no drawbars? I just looked at a pic. You just have preset sounds then? Does it have a swell pedal?

Envious that you have the real deal!

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Jazzwee, for starting this great organ thread. smile Yep, my Conn is a regular classic electric organ from the early 60's with the pedalboard, swell pedal, etc.. I used to play a pretty mean walking bass on it back then when I was young. cool Can't believe it still works, the pedals, rhythms, etc after all these years. A little static with a few of the contacts, but not too bad. They really made things so well back then, along with a beautiful wooden cabinet. It was my grandma's (my mom's mom), and I also had a larger one that I got from an organ teacher (Radio City Music Hall organist) which we eventually sold, but I kept the little one from grandma over the years. I love the Hammond as well as Conn - very rich sound, good deep bass sound with the pedals, etc.

Here's Ethel Smith playing Tico-Tico. smile Nothing more fun than playing Latin rhythms on the organ!

Last edited by Elssa; 06/09/14 01:17 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ETHEL SMITH

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/ethel/esmith.asp

"Two events dramatically changed the subsequent course of Ethel Smith's career. In 1935 the Hammond Corporation produced its first electric organ. The instrument revolutionized the keyboard genre by combining the fast action of the piano with the timbral resources of the organ. Miss Smith spotted her first Hammond while accompanying a singer in a Hollywood studio. According to her, "I just ran my fingers over [the organ] and said 'That's for me!'" (New York Times, May 16, 1943). Soon she was so proficient that she was able to pick up gigs in and around Hollywood, and even played on local radio broadcasts.

Ethel Smith was also concerned with sound quality. As she explained in another interview for Etude (May 1944), "The Hammond organist mixes tone color on a musical palette much in the manner of a painter in oils. He is not limited to ready-mixed colors." In fact, no one has ever made the Hammond sound quite like her. To some extent, this is due to her careful choice of organ stops and draw bars. Compare, for example, the shimmering pentatonic washes in "By the Waters of Minnetonka" (Bathing Beauty/Galloping Fingers) with the stark, other-worldly sound of "Firebird Blues" (Bouquet of the Blues) or the gnarly distortion of "Ethel Meets the Count" (Many Moods of Ethel Smith). She was particularly imaginative in recreating orchestral sounds and claimed that when arranging an instrumental piece for the organ she would "phrase as a flutist or clarinetist would" (Etude, May 1947). But Miss Smith's unique sound also depended upon her exceptional skills at transcription. In particular, she avoided clunky block chords preferring instead parallel thirds or other polyphonic devices. Take a listen to the ingenious countermelodies in "Brazil" (Many Moods of Ethel Smith/Latin from Manhattan). Using classical techniques, she even layered the same tune on top of itself to create her own "Fugue in Blue" (Bouquet of the Blues). The results were stunning; she was able to create full and fluid sounds without sacrificing her wonderful sense of color and rhythmic vitality. And that's why she was heralded by the Latin American press as "La Organista Mas Famoso del Mundo!"

Last edited by Elssa; 06/09/14 02:02 AM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I noticed btw that there seems to be zero "organ" activity in this entire forum. No one in Digital likes organ?...

JW, did you try the organ forum here?
Organ forum

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Ed, I can't believe I've never seen that forum before. I guess I only look at the "Popular" forums which is what I bookmarked. Not busy either though.

Noticed too that there are two distinct groups of organ players. Classical/Church vs. Jazz/Rock/Blues. And how they handle the instrument is completely different.

At least this is my idea of organ playing.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elssa
Thanks, Jazzwee, for starting this great organ thread. smile Yep, my Conn is a regular classic electric organ from the early 60's with the pedalboard, swell pedal, etc.. I used to play a pretty mean walking bass on it back then when I was young. cool Can't believe it still works, the pedals, rhythms, etc after all these years. A little static with a few of the contacts, but not too bad. They really made things so well back then, along with a beautiful wooden cabinet. It was my grandma's (my mom's mom), and I also had a larger one that I got from an organ teacher (Radio City Music Hall organist) which we eventually sold, but I kept the little one from grandma over the years. I love the Hammond as well as Conn - very rich sound, good deep bass sound with the pedals, etc.

Here's Ethel Smith playing Tico-Tico. smile Nothing more fun than playing Latin rhythms on the organ!

Super! Too bad they had to put an orchestra in the background. I would have liked to hear it with just the organ by itself. She's very expressive on this.

My Jazz Blog

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
At least this is my idea of organ playing.

Yeah, me too.

I was just remembering that Gordon Vernick did some podcasts about the history of jazz organ, focusing mostly on Jimmy Smith. Good stuff. I think they are on iTunes.

Ed

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Elssa, I was looking for more Ethel Smith, trying to hear her playing by herself only. Hard to find. I guess she mostly played for movies and such. Wonderful sound. Like classical piano with her technique.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ethel Smith

Last edited by Elssa; 06/10/14 02:35 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Last edited by Elssa; 06/10/14 02:38 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
More Ethel Smith - lots of fun. smile

Last edited by Elssa; 06/10/14 02:46 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Elssa, I was looking for more Ethel Smith, trying to hear her playing by herself only. Hard to find. I guess she mostly played for movies and such. Wonderful sound. Like classical piano with her technique.

Yes, such a wonderful technique. thumb She loved the Latin rhythms especially and used those on the Hammond organ quite often. She didn't need an orchestra or band, though she enjoyed that as well.

Here's my arrangement of Brazil. I still have her original sheet music and just changed the key and a few other things. She was a real virtuoso!

BRAZIL

Last edited by Elssa; 06/11/14 01:51 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is the original sheet music that I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brazil-by-A..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4867918d9b

This is very similar to the Conn organ I have at home now in the back room:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CON..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e579de6d

Last edited by Elssa; 06/11/14 02:06 AM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Yikes, that Tico Tico really brought back some memories. I used to love that song when I was a kid, and I'm sure Ethel had something to do with that!

Here I am playing it on my Hammond in 1979. Audio quality is really bad - recorded on a kid's cassette player/recorder, sitting on the floor in front of the speakers, so there is way too much bass.

Tico Tico

Sounds like I was more into drama and harmonic tension than speed or technique! laugh

Ed

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You sounded pretty good in 1979 Ed! Wow! Love it when you guys post organ performances. Something for me to look forward to.

You still keep cassettes from 1979????? Do you also have 8-track? smile And how did you digitize this? I don't think I even have a device that can play cassettes...

My Jazz Blog

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
You sounded pretty good in 1979 Ed! Wow! Love it when you guys post organ performances. Something for me to look forward to.

You still keep cassettes from 1979????? Do you also have 8-track? smile And how did you digitize this? I don't think I even have a device that can play cassettes...

Five or six years ago, I was in the process of throwing out old cassette tapes, and came across this "organ time capsule" tape with thirty-some recordings from 1978-79. No improvising in any of these, but I was certainly having fun creating arrangements from lead sheets.

I have a boombox that plays cassettes, so I wired its headset output to my computer line-in input and digitized the tape with Audacity.

Fun to listen to the old recordings, even though the sound quality ranges from absolutely horrible to even worse!

Ed

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
So was yours a B3? No Leslie?

My Jazz Blog

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission