2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Liszt was the inventor of the piano rectal.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Are you sure?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW

Are you sure?

Positive.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
grin

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Okay folks, we now have the list of performers:
Polyphonist
Tim Adrianson
Pover
doctor S
FSO
Vid
MikeN
ec

From the suggested list of pieces so far, what do you think about using counterpoint as a way to tie the recital together? Several people have suggested Bach and Bach derivatives. Tim, I don't know specific works by the composers you mentioned in detail but I wonder if one might be a good 20th-21st c. contrapuntal work?
And ec, Chopin is underrated as a master of counterpoint...

Part of why I thought of this recital idea was that I've noticed an interesting obsession with concert programming, choosing repertoire/order in this forum. I thought this would be a way to use it productively. It's OK if it isn't everyone's cup of tea. It would be nice if hecklers would at least keep their comments short so that those trying to plan don't have to scroll through pages of comments that are just anti-this-recital.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by hreichgott
From the suggested list of pieces so far, what do you think about using counterpoint as a way to tie the recital together? Several people have suggested Bach and Bach derivatives. Tim, I don't know specific works by the composers you mentioned in detail but I wonder if one might be a good 20th-21st c. contrapuntal work?
And ec, Chopin is underrated as a master of counterpoint...

(Caution: Unorthodox idea ahead. Click at your own risk.)

We alternate Bach pieces with 19th + 20th century works.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by MikeN
I think we'll probably end up thinking of sample rectal programs.(...)

I don't think I want to give or hear a sample of those!

once upon a time there was this old post...

Rotfl, what is it with me and the typos today. I swear I proofread before I post. Thanks for the reference Mark.

On other notes, I haven't any ideas of what to submit as I'm not learning anything that fits within the time limit. Yet, I want to learn something new for this. So whatever is needed to make the recital work better, let me know and I'll learn it.

Last edited by MikeN; 06/08/14 12:58 AM.
Have been (re)working the following, one (or more?) of which could be foisted on the world (wide web) in a month with a semblance of competency:

Chopin Etudes Op 10, No 1 Cmaj, 3 Emaj, 4 c#min, 5 Gbmaj, 8 Fmaj, 9 fmin, 12 cmin
Op 25, No 20 Dbmaj, No 24 cmin

Chopin Preludes Op 28, No 1 Cmaj, No 3 G maj, #10 c#min

Chopin Scherzo Op 39 No 3

Debussy Reflets dans L'eau

Grieg Lyric Piece Op 57, No 2 Gade

Rachmaninoff Preludes Op 23, No 2 Bbmaj, No 4 Dmaj

Scarlatti Sonatas A maj K38 L391, Dmaj K33 L424

Better to deepen some furrows dug 45 years ago, than try to plow concrete.

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Heather, I've got two 21st century works that directly "fill the bill" for a contrapuntal "theme". One is entitled "13 Ways of Looking at the Goldberg", which is a composite of variations submitted by 13 different composers on the famous Goldberg aria. I'll choose 4 - 5 from that set, most likely Higdon, Foss, jazz pianist Fred Hersch, Bolcom, and maybe Fred Lerdahl. This was a project undertaken and sponsored by the Gilmore Keyboard Festival several years ago.

The other is another work of Hersch entitled "24 Variations on a Bach Chorale". I won't play all the variations -- just the ones that most directly fit the contrapuntal theme.

OK, my plans are set! Now I've got a lot of work to do!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Tim these sound like great ideas.
We do not know yet if everyone is on board with the contrapuntal theme though.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This sounds like a terrific idea but now that I've finally calmed down from the stress of having a deadline, I think I'd find another deadline about as enjoyable as piano rectal.

I look forward to the performances, though!

Am I getting this, the piece(s) must be contrapuntal? Does anything on my list above from 3 AM this morning qualify? 'Could possibly do the Bach-Petri chorale prelude transcription "I step Before Thy Throne, Lord" or the Bach-Petri "Sheep May Safely Graze" from the Birthday Contata, or the Bach-Petri "Three Minuets", which would be "new". If it must be Bach: Preludes and Fugues No. VIII F# Major and/or No. XV G Major, or the D Major Toccata are less new.

But I am getting old..."new" Bach might be harder than polishing a Chopin etude.

I like the idea of ALTERNATING BACH WITH 19th c. AND LATER PIECES, but I'm not enough of a musicologist to know whether any particular "modern" piece provides sufficient thematic veneration. Does it have to say "contrapuntal" in the title?

I can't drop out: you need a doctor for a proper piano rectal.

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by doctor S
I like the idea of ALTERNATING BACH WITH 19th c. AND LATER PIECES, but I'm not enough of a musicologist to know whether any particular "modern" piece provides sufficient thematic veneration. Does it have to say "contrapuntal" in the title?

No. I think I can be a good judge of that. The point is...which 19/20th century works to pick??? There are so many. It might be interesting to make the later works fugues or canons - Schumann, Reger, Shostakovich, etc. I'll be happy to contribute a Schumann fugue from Opus 72.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by doctor S
Am I getting this, the piece(s) must be contrapuntal?....

Nobody ever said that. The proposal was contrapuntal pieces alternating with other pieces -- as you said later on in the post! smile

Well, I actually meant for the theme of the recital to be counterpoint, with examples from Bach and from the later periods.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, I actually meant for the theme of the recital to be counterpoint, with examples from Bach and from the later periods.

Yes -- I misunderstood (as I see from looking back).

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Here's another, even more specialized idea - have a recital featuring only fugues and canons, alternating Bach with Romantic/contemporary composers (as before). Perhaps even feature some pieces from before Bach - Renaissance and Early Baroque stuff. We can call the recital "The Evolution of the Fugue." grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I like this idea too.

I do think that if we use some sort of a theme, it shouldn't be that every piece must fit the theme exactly (we've all been to concerts like that, it's like listening to an encyclopedia!) but that we use the theme to tie the concert together.

Since doctor S gave a long list of repertoire let me use that as an example. The Chopin prelude Op. 28 no. 1 has some very strong contrapuntal characteristics and maybe a resemblance to the first Bach prelude from WTC. But it's odd to only play one of the Op. 28. So perhaps doctor S would choose to play the three selections from Op. 28, which form a nice unit, with no. 1 tying in nicely to an overall contrapuntal theme.

Or if we use alternation then doctor S might contribute a lot of the 19th-early 20th c. portion of the program (Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Debussy).

Or if we use fugues and canons, then maybe we place three massive fugues/canons at the beginning, middle and end of the program, but the other selections are things that would contrast nicely against fugues... like doctor S's Grieg, Rachmaninoff and Scarlatti.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Heather, of the three options you've provided, I tend to gravitate to the "alternation" idea -- only because this seems to me to be the best natural "fit" for the choices thst the entrants have provided. That is to say, enough people have said that they want to play Bach as a first choice to make the alternation idea "work" easily. So that would be my vote -- but let's see if the others "weigh in".

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Don't know about that. I like the idea of works from different periods, but in the same contrapuntal vein, rather than some Bach alternating with unrelated late Romantic things.

There are plenty of fugues and canons from the Romantic era - far more than enough to fill up half a recital.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Just speaking from the periphery smile ....seems to me it's way better to have the more flexible guideline -- especially for the first go-around and in view of some of the concerns that have been expressed. You want to make it easier for people to participate and to participate comfortably, not harder. (BTW that's why I misunderstood it before. I didn't imagine there was any thought to be as exclusionary or restrictive as that would be.)

Last edited by Mark_C; 06/09/14 12:13 PM. Reason: adding "or restrictive," because of Poly's reply (see next post)
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission