2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 287 of 452 1 2 285 286 287 288 289 451 452
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by LeoPianist2014
Hello guys,

I was told the Alfred's adult course is one of the best methods out there especially for self studying.

BTW I think everyone would agree there is no best method.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally Posted by earlofmar

Well I said ONE of best methods. Not the BEST one smile As to the Fundamental Keys I received one a couple of days ago. I wouldn't call it a "method" per se as there's very few instructions there. As to all the technical stuff she just attaches a couple of pages with scales and arpeggios without mentioning how and when to incorporate them in practice sessions. It seems Alfred's is much more sophisticated instructions-wise. Speaking about books you've mentioned when would you start using them? From the very beginning? When the first half of the Alfred's was mastered? Towards the end? Cheers!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

Well I said ONE of best methods. Not the BEST one smile As to the Fundamental Keys I received one a couple of days ago. I wouldn't call it a "method" per se as there's very few instructions there. As to all the technical stuff she just attaches a couple of pages with scales and arpeggios without mentioning how and when to incorporate them in practice sessions. It seems Alfred's is much more sophisticated instructions-wise. Speaking about books you've mentioned when would you start using them? From the very beginning? When the first half of the Alfred's was mastered? Towards the end? Cheers!

Surprised to hear Fundamental Keys is disappointing. Are you aware of the video series that goes with the book (to be found on the website). While the additional cost to me seems like a bit of a "double dipping" compared to private lessons this is an economical method.

As far as learning other material I am no teacher but have this to say. Many have written they move through the Alfred Book 1 very quickly to the midway point where it gets progressively more difficult. I would encourage anyone to stick with the book to the end and take in all that it has to offer. However if you just cannot get and enjoyment from the material material then work on something you do like. This may be further ahead in the book or elsewhere.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
[quote=earlofmar]BTW I think everyone would agree there is no best method.

Surprised to hear Fundamental Keys is disappointing. Are you aware of the video series that goes with the book (to be found on the website). While the additional cost to me seems like a bit of a "double dipping" compared to private lessons this is an economical method.

As far as learning other material I am no teacher but have this to say. Many have written they move through the Alfred Book 1 very quickly to the midway point where it gets progressively more difficult. I would encourage anyone to stick with the book to the end and take in all that it has to offer. However if you just cannot get any enjoyment from the material material then work on something you do like. This may be further ahead in the book or elsewhere.

For us beginners we always want to dabble with something new which may not be in our method books and there is no harm in that.

Last edited by earlofmar; 06/08/14 03:49 PM.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I now have Fundamental Keys and so far it is working well with adult students. I think it has just enough instructional material. The instructional paragraphs are extremely short and very informative about the one thing they intend to teach you, then you get a lot of pieces in which to practice the new skill. FK is oriented toward learning to do things by practice, not by reading pages of information. So there are a lot of pieces which will teach you useful skills in a logical order if you learn the pieces to the point of mastery. But obviously none of my students are working without a teacher so I can't speak to that.

Alfred lost my confidence the minute I saw how many times they misspelled Dvorak!

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Surprised to hear Fundamental Keys is disappointing. Are you aware of the video series that goes with the book (to be found on the website).

For me, the videos are very important and a "key" element of Fundamental Keys!

L
L
Originally Posted by hreichgott
I now have Fundamental Keys and so far it is working well with adult students. I think it has just enough instructional material. The instructional paragraphs are extremely short and very informative about the one thing they intend to teach you, then you get a lot of pieces in which to practice the new skill. FK is oriented toward learning to do things by practice, not by reading pages of information. So there are a lot of pieces which will teach you useful skills in a logical order if you learn the pieces to the point of mastery. But obviously none of my students are working without a teacher so I can't speak to that.

Alfred lost my confidence the minute I saw how many times they misspelled Dvorak!

As I've already mentioned there're some scales and arpeggios in the back of the book but not a single word about how and when to practice them. I know there're teachers who prefer their students to play through the carefully selected pieces which incorporate all the needed technical studies so there's no need to play scales and arpeggios and other technical stuff. But I don't think that's the case with FK. I may be wrong though.

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
As I've already mentioned there're some scales and arpeggios in the back of the book but not a single word about how and when to practice them.

Rachel used to have a video (free on her site) specifically devoted to scales. It didn't survive the transition to the new site - I've inquired whether it will be available again.

B
B
Scales aren't really necessary in learning piano, but they are a good way to warm up, concentrate on your technique, and learn the "feel" of different key signatures which will make it easier to play pieces in keys outside of C major.

I have been putting up lots of scale and arpeggio videos on my YouTube channel over the weekend. Not finished yet, but have all the majors up. There are slow versions for beginners at scales to watch, and faster versions for checking you're playing with the right finger numbers and have all the right sharps and flats.

A very important note to remember about learning scales is that you MUST use the correct fingers. I have the finger numbers in the information section under each video. You can go straight to my YouTube Channel (in my signature)or I have organised lists of technical work with links here:

http://theivorytimes.blogspot.com.au/p/tinymozarts-scales-and-arpeggios.html

J
J
I have just started learning "The Entertainer" and I am loving this piece. The previous few pieces (Scarborough Fair and Raisins & Almonds) also sound great to me as they use broken chords which give that New Age solo piano sound I enjoy.

My teacher and I have agreed to move on to book 2 in this series.
Only one piece left until the bonus pieces. I will probably start on some of the revision pieces at the beginning of book 2 while learning the bonus pieces in book 1.

Jeremy

Bach's motto : Let not your right hand know what the left is doing.

Started learning in March 2014
Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-one Book 1
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just recently found this mega-post thread! So far I've read the first 25 pages and the ones from this year. I'll probably go back and read some more later on, but I decided to jump to the front so I could start logging my progress.

When I first bought my digital piano it was with the intention of learning to play by teaching myself. Well, it didn't take me long to realize I would be better off with a teacher. So I found one and it turns out she uses Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course, so... here I am.

In my first lesson we started at the very beginning of the book and covered everything up to page 23. Within those pages, the instructions for "Ode to Joy" (pg 13) and "Aura Lee" (pg 17) are:

(1) Clap. (2) Play & sing (or say) the finger numbers. (3) Play & count. (4) Play & sing (or say) the note names.

And for "Playing On The Grand Staff" (pg 20) the instructions are:

The following practice procedure is recommended for the rest of the pieces in ths book: (1) Clap (or tap) & count. (2) Play & count. (3) Play & sing the words, if any.

Instead of doing any of that she just had me play the notes. Not once have I had to count aloud, clap, or sing for those or any of the other songs we went over. Believe me, I'm perfectly with that! But it made me wonder, does anybody actually really go through all those steps for each song? I can sort of see doing the counting and clapping, but singing?!?

Overall, my first impression of my teacher is mostly positive. I like her teaching approach to learning the piano, and she has a calm, nonjudgmental manner so I don't feel all tense and nervous, even though I know she's watching every little move.

Last edited by Linda G; 06/29/14 06:48 PM.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In my second lesson we reviewed everything from the week before and then went over the melodic and harmonic intervals, which took us up through page 31. I really struggled with playing the harmonic ones. Partly because I don't have all the notes memorized that well (especially in the bass clef) and partly because I've got klutzy fingers.

After struggling through my second attempt at "Dueling Harmonics" (pg 31) I lifted my hands off the keys, flexed them a couple of times and said, "My hands feel stiff. I think I might have some arthritis, or something." She replied, "Then maybe you'll need to take some Advil. Now, why don't you try that again one more time." Hmm. I didn't get a whole lot of sympathy there. laugh

When my hour was up she checked off some sections as done, though not as many as I thought she would. So lots of stuff for me to practice for the next lesson. Now that I've got more to work with I'm to increase my practice time. I'm going to aim for an hour a day, probably breaking each hour up into 2 or 3 sections.

Linda

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Linda G

Instead of doing any of that she just had me play the notes. Not once have I had to count aloud, clap, or sing for those or any of the other songs we went over. Believe me, I'm perfectly with that! But it made me wonder, does anybody actually really go through all those steps for each song? I can sort of see doing the counting and clapping, but singing?!?

Congratulations on the start of what should be a wonderful journey. Being able to afford a teacher is a great luxury (some would say you cannot afford not to have one). But while a book is trying to speak to the self guided student a teacher may have other methods for teaching the same thing. They also will not try to overload you where as a book sort of throws everything at you at once. Perhaps a little early for her to judge but a teacher may also decide you don't need to do those steps if you already have a good sense of rhythm. Personally I have not had to do those sorts of exercises and I am twenty months in.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

After struggling through my second attempt at "Dueling Harmonics" (pg 31) I lifted my hands off the keys, flexed them a couple of times and said, "My hands feel stiff. I think I might have some arthritis, or something." She replied, "Then maybe you'll need to take some Advil. Now, why don't you try that again one more time." Hmm. I didn't get a whole lot of sympathy there. laugh

Loved it. laugh

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
LindaG,

If you are feeling pain in your hands when you play, you should NOT continue to play. I wasn't sure from your post if you were joking with your teacher or not, but if you really were feeling pain that is a serious red flag and it should not be ignored. It is possible to seriously injure yourself with bad piano technique. It is very important that you learn to reduce unnecessary tension from your body as you play.

Also, counting is an essential part of playing imo. It is incredibly easy to distort a rhythm without being aware that you are doing so. In fact, even people who count often distort their rhythm (They count in a way that matches what they are playing instead of playing in a way that matches a steady count). So learning how to count properly (it's not as simple as just counting, you have to know where to put strong beats and weak beats, and why) is a very important skill to develop. But with that being said, you are learning an incredibly complex skill and you need to learn it step by step. I suspect that your teacher will introduce counting different rhythms before too long. If they don't teach it at all, I would find that very very strange.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations on the start of what should be a wonderful journey. Being able to afford a teacher is a great luxury (some would say you cannot afford not to have one). But while a book is trying to speak to the self guided student a teacher may have other methods for teaching the same thing. They also will not try to overload you where as a book sort of throws everything at you at once. Perhaps a little early for her to judge but a teacher may also decide you don't need to do those steps if you already have a good sense of rhythm. Personally I have not had to do those sorts of exercises and I am twenty months in.

Thanks, earlofmar. My teacher actually did say during my second lesson that I had a good sense of rhythm. So at least I have that going for me. Well, for simple tunes with a 4/4 count anyway. smile Paying for piano lessons is a real stretch for me, so I'm just looking at it one month at a time.

Linda

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fizikisto
LindaG,

If you are feeling pain in your hands when you play, you should NOT continue to play. I wasn't sure from your post if you were joking with your teacher or not, but if you really were feeling pain that is a serious red flag and it should not be ignored. It is possible to seriously injure yourself with bad piano technique. It is very important that you learn to reduce unnecessary tension from your body as you play.

Also, counting is an essential part of playing imo. It is incredibly easy to distort a rhythm without being aware that you are doing so. In fact, even people who count often distort their rhythm (They count in a way that matches what they are playing instead of playing in a way that matches a steady count). So learning how to count properly (it's not as simple as just counting, you have to know where to put strong beats and weak beats, and why) is a very important skill to develop. But with that being said, you are learning an incredibly complex skill and you need to learn it step by step. I suspect that your teacher will introduce counting different rhythms before too long. If they don't teach it at all, I would find that very very strange.

Hi fizikisto, I didn't say I had any pain in my hands, just some stiffness. Some x-rays 15 years ago showed early arthritis in my back, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have some minor arthritis in my hands. I took up running a 1-1/2 years ago and that helped relieve all sorts of back problems I was having. I'm sort of hoping playing the piano will have a similar effect on my hands. smile

Linda

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
LindaG,

Hi fizikisto, I didn't say I had any pain in my hands, just some stiffness. Some x-rays 15 years ago showed early arthritis in my back, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have some minor arthritis in my hands. I took up running a 1-1/2 years ago and that helped relieve all sorts of back problems I was having. I'm sort of hoping playing the piano will have a similar effect on my hands. smile

Or it could be that you have never used your fingers and hands in this context before and your fingers are still finding their feet (pun intended).

As a runner you will well remember the first days when it was exhausting to run any distance but with a careful regime you can over time reach "the zone" where you feel like you could run forever. Learning to use your body, arms, wrists and fingers is no different, it is a slow start to begin with and things can feel a bit odd at times. There is a danger of injury if one is not careful, but over time as endurance is built up your hands will evolve into those of piano athlete. Your teacher will keep you right and an hour a day practice is not excessive.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LindaG,

Or it could be that you have never used your fingers and hands in this context before and your fingers are still finding their feet (pun intended).

As a runner you will well remember the first days when it was exhausting to run any distance but with a careful regime you can over time reach "the zone" where you feel like you could run forever. Learning to use your body, arms, wrists and fingers is no different, it is a slow start to begin with and things can feel a bit odd at times. There is a danger of injury if one is not careful, but over time as endurance is built up your hands will evolve into those of piano athlete. Your teacher will keep you right and an hour a day practice is not excessive.

Haha, a piano athlete! Well, that all sounds very encouraging, thanks for that. And I'll be careful. smile

Linda

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just checking in with a mid-week update.

I've got most everything under control so far, except for "Dueling Harmonics." Mostly due to hesitating between notes while I'm trying to sight read the harmonics instead of relying on the finger numbers. But I'm also messing up on the piano and forte. Hopefully I'll get it figured out within the next couple of days.

I just realized as I'm typing this that my forearms and hands are nicely aligned and my wrists aren't bent down and resting on my desk as they normally are when I'm typing. And I'm actually (almost) sitting up straight. Haha. There's hope for me yet.

Well, anyway, it sure would be nice to have some fellow level one's in here with me!!

Linda

Page 287 of 452 1 2 285 286 287 288 289 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission