2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Our performers so far:
Polyphonist
Tim Adrianson
Pover
doctor S
FSO
Vid
MikeN

Room for one more!

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think it's an interesting idea and don't really understand all the critiques. If you don't want to participate, then don't participate. Geez...

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I think it's an interesting idea and don't really understand all the critiques. If you don't want to participate, then don't participate. Geez...

I think it is probable that folks would like to participate but aren't comfortable not knowing how long they are going to have to prepare. It should be interesting, though.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Geez, yourself!! If I am not bright enough to have “seen the light,” at least give me the right to ask questions and get clarification without summarily dismissing me as uninterested!

Yes, I wanted to participate, but the parameters seem to indicate that only after the participants were accepted would the program be decided, a “meaningful, beautiful and entertaining whole.”

- Not knowing what the program is going to be, why would one sign up without knowing what is going to be accepted as part of this “meaningful, beautiful whole”? I imagine that I sign up, but when I indicate what I want to play, my repertoire pieces are neither “meaningful” nor “beautiful” and they don’t fit the program. So then what, I am dismissed and someone else is chosen?

- If others choose the program, but the performer has the final decision on his/her choice, isn’t that somewhat of a contradiction? The idea that the whole community will be “making requests” of just eight or nine people suggests that there may well be many “requests” which aren’t in anyone’s repertoire. Or are these community members to choose from a list that the performers will make public?

Finally, why should others decide what I should play, even if I have final decision?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Bruce: I'm guessing strongly and pretty confidently that it'll be a lot less iffy than what you're afraid of. I'd bet that everyone (everyone!) will be able to play what they want to play. I can imagine -- just fr'instance -- that if there's overlap between people's pieces, someone might be asked to omit a piece, maybe substitute something else if they can; or, maybe for another reason, Heather might (maybe -- dunno, just thinking out loud) -- might ask someone if maybe they can play some different piece if she has the impression that the person could probably do it pretty easily and that it might make for an even better program. I think for the most part Heather will just be arranging the things that people want to play into a good program -- and (and maybe she herself hasn't thought of this yet, but I can imagine it playing out this way) grin ....that to whatever extent she is left feeling that something is missing, she herself will play something different than exactly what she had planned, or that she might reach out to someone extra to play some additional piece. Stuff like that.

Just guessing about the details -- but I'm thinking pretty confidently that the things you're worried about won't happen. I wouldn't necessarily automatically think this in such a situation, but in view of exactly who is involved, that's my impression. Heather seems to be an unusually good and sensitive managerial type. smile

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Damon

I think it is probable that folks would like to participate but aren't comfortable not knowing how long they are going to have to prepare.

That was stated clearly in the inital post. You will have until Thursday, July 24.

Regards,

Polyphonist
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Heather, since we now have seven entrants (seven and a half, if we count BruceD), I will propose three options for my 15 minute segment:

1 Selected works of Federico Mompou -- ("Fetes Lointaines", a Cancion y Danza (of my choosing) , "Jeunes Filles au Jardin", "Lago")

2 Three WTC Preludes/Fugues -- choice TBD, maybe mine,maybe yours in this case)

3 Tonal works from the past 20 years (Danielpour, Picker, Smit, Welcher, Torke, Zaimont).

Actually, it now seems to me appropriate for the other contributore to say what they want to record and perform as well -- it would give us all a chance to see if there is some commonality in "theme", however broad.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think we'll probably end up thinking of sample rectal programs. Really, it seem to me, the name of the game is convenience. We have the option of playing anything. We can revive music and play it. We can learn entirely new music if we have the courage. If we want to, we can think up a certain theme. Heck, if we want to do a major work we can spread out movement's between people. Anything goes as long as we can make a coherent whole out of it. The only limiting factors are time and the skill of each respective participant. It's not all that different, to me, from putting together a studio recital in college.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I was going to suggest Bach-Busoni Chorale Preludes and a short work by Chopin/Scriabin.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I was going to suggest Bach-Busoni Chorale Preludes and a short work by Chopin/Scriabin.

BTW if you felt like making your whole thing a set of Chorale Preludes, or even just plain Bach chorales (!) I think we'd have a huge appetite for that. smile

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C

BTW if you felt like making your whole thing a set of Chorale Preludes...

If you want to know more specifically, I was going to play the A minor and E minor chorale preludes, not leaving much time for another.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
P
To be honest I was thinking of playing the Bach french suite no.4 in Eb, which will (hopefully) be ready by the end of July. Right now, I've finished the Allemande and Gavotte, and halfway through everything else except the courante (haven't touched that one yet). I presume that the sarabande will be done in a couple of days, giving me ample time to wrap up the rest by the end of july.

Oh! Also by then I'll probably have Debussy's First arabesque at a decent level.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

I think it is probable that folks would like to participate but aren't comfortable not knowing how long they are going to have to prepare.

That was stated clearly in the inital post. You will have until Thursday, July 24.

That's a deadline, not preparation time. Unless you can decide right now, exactly what you will play, the preparation time shrinks. Not as clear as you suppose.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

That's a deadline, not preparation time. Unless you can decide right now, exactly what you will play...

The preparation time is from whenever the repertoire is decided to the deadline. If you are worried about the repertoire decision, or that the preparation time will not be sufficient, don't enter.

Regards,

Polyphonist
E
ec Offline
E
As I'm "half-retiring" from my job at the end of June, and there seems to be room for one more, I'll climb on board. Repertoire will be all Chopin, chosen from or added to the list in my signature smile

ec
Long Beach, CA

Chopin - Nocturnes, Op. 62
Chopin, Fantaisie, Op. 49
Mozart - Fantasia, Op. 475; Sonata, C minor, K. 457
Bach -Toccata, D Major

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

This is a forum - we comment on stuff.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I think what's proposed is crystal clear and no more or less good than any other proposal, but then so is the English language to me and plenty of people can't read that; it's okay to be a tad skeptical or even downright sure that it won't work but, um, I see promise at least; if it doesn't work, we'll know in two months. If it does, then...well, it does smile See...if ec wants to play all Chopin, fine, but ec *may* suggest that s/he'd like to hear some Ravel, which very well may prompt, say, Tim to change his proposed pieces...um...like, certainly he's stated that he'll consider *which* WTC he'd play based on suggestion (I believe wink )...um...it's a nice idea. Perhaps a touch unclear to some but I'm *sure* with a little time it'll be crystalline. As for myself...I'd like to play the first contrapunctus from KDF, Stanchinsky's second mazurka (and maybe his variations...maybe...if I can get them good enough laugh ), Gibbons's pavan/pavane/paevan of Lord/Lorde Salisbury/Salysbree etc. The Allemande from his grounds and perhaps one of his French Courante's to make up the time, if it's necessary...but...um...I'm not locked into playing those pieces, I'd just like them smile
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

That's a deadline, not preparation time. Unless you can decide right now, exactly what you will play...

The preparation time is from whenever the repertoire is decided to the deadline. If you are worried about the repertoire decision, or that the preparation time will not be sufficient, don't enter.

I never intended to enter. I was just noting a possible reason others would be nervous to do so. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by MikeN
I think we'll probably end up thinking of sample rectal programs.(...)

I don't think I want to give or hear a sample of those!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by MikeN
I think we'll probably end up thinking of sample rectal programs.(...)

I don't think I want to give or hear a sample of those!

once upon a time there was this old post...

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission