2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
J
as a sidenote when i started out learning piano i got ancy and wanted to learn a piece that i really loved (was actually a FF piece also), it did take me about 2 months....to be able to perform the FIRST PAGE musically... i be no means am especially talented... but without the necessary facility to back you up it is not an easy task..

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks J. T.

I'll let you know how much progress I've made in a month and take it from there.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Bigwillo7
Thanks Everyone!

I decided to give it a try.

I'm no Mozart, I'm not special. But I guess the best answer to it is to test it myself, something I usually do as a film director.

My sister owns a huge keyboard. I'll start from there. I'll let you know in two weeks if there are any progress at all.

I'm thinking of playing the Third song, for a minute grand total.
Best of luck to you! smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
One of the things that makes this piece is the proper use of pedal. You haven't told us what you do and don't know about music so far. The notes of a particular chord are spread out and played one at a time, and they are blended together via the pedal. Then the next chord comes along (ditto), the pedal is changed so that they don't mix with the first bunch and create mud. Here is one specific skill you would need to get a handle on in order to pull it off. It is a matter of coordination, on top of coordinating the two hands. You need some kind of plan to approach this - can you at least get someone to tutor you for the piece?

A lot of beginner music has repeated chords that are always the same, along with simple melody which mostly falls on the beat. In your chosen piece there are sequences of chords one after the other, and then varying rhythms in the right hand which fall on and between beats. That is another thing to contend with.

I'm not a teacher and I'm still learning myself, so these are only off-the-cuff quick observations.

Last edited by keystring; 06/04/14 01:41 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

From Greener: I seem to recall similar plans ...

Yep, I remember agreeing to take ballroom dancing with my wife about 25 yrs ago ... BW7, do you realize how long it takes to teach a dancing bear to dance? cry

But Good luck!!

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Everyone!

I'm no Mozart, I'm not special. But I guess the best answer to it is to test it myself, something I usually do as a film director.

My sister owns a huge keyboard. I'll start from there. I'll let you know in two weeks if there are any progress at all.

I think it's worth a try!

Use Synthesia to help you find the notes.

Learn just one part of the song. If that's all you end up learning, that's enough! I think it's very do-able if you end up playing even 30 seconds worth - for her.

And if this passion inside you carries you forward into a love affair with the piano, great!

Good luck!

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 06/04/14 06:19 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Everyone!

Well in that case....

What we've been discussing is to play properly with a half-decent performance. Since you are so press for time, I would say forget about learning properly and just learn to press all the notes in the right order. Forget about pedaling. You may try pressing down the sustain pedal about 1/3 or 1/4 down to fatten the sound a little and hold it there for the whole song. This works on an acoustic piano, not so much on keyboards. And worse case, you could edit out sections of the middle and just learn the beginning and end and splice the two together. Best of luck to you.

Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
Forget about pedaling.

For the third piece? I wouldn't think so.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by keystring
Forget about pedaling.

I wouldn't think so about this whole enterprise. Unless the OP is a genius, which he (by his own admission) is not, the capability to learn to play the piano in two months simply does not exist. He has asked if it's possible, and why are we lying to him?

Regards,

Polyphonist

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Forget about pedaling.

Well, basically I'm saying there is no time to learn it so forget it. Or as I said, if he wants to use it, just use it a little like 1/4 pedal hold for entire piece. That is easy enough to manage so he could focus on pressing the right keys. It'll be messy for sure, and at this point, I doubt he is shooting for decent performance.

T
T
I feel like this is like American Idol when everyone is telling you no, I will give you a yes. There are quicker way to learn and play the song ( may be not exactly like the original) but not much different.
For example is you look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YPPWShawyU , try to play the harmony chord ( since you don't read music its the red color on the keyboard) and ONLY the top note of the melody for now ( top note = the most right note on the keyboard). You can ignore the rest of the middle orange notes for now since they are what we call embellishment on the chord, and add them in as much as possible once you have master the overall simply song structure.
I remember many moons ago I started piano also for a girl as well, and one songs turns into a passion for 30 some years. Worst comes worst, the only song you play is absolutely recyclable to the next girl comes along smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
one songs turns into a passion for 30 some years

This ^ BigWillo7, maybe this will be the start of a long relationship for you - with the piano!

Best of luck to you!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

... the capability to learn to play the piano in two months simply does not exist ... why are we lying to him?

... just one piece in 2 months.

It is not a lie ... just a huge stretch. Also, might you be forgetting something?

Surprising to me as you normally come across so warm smile ...

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Forget about pedaling.

I wouldn't think so about this whole enterprise. Unless the OP is a genius, which he (by his own admission) is not, the capability to learn to play the piano in two months simply does not exist. He has asked if it's possible, and why are we lying to him?

I second this. If you really want something to play for her, look for like few bars long arrangement for piano starters for some love song or song she likes. slow song. one note per hand. Unless you are extremely gifted (to an extent) you will not do anything more than few bars from these pieces, spending like two hours daily on the piano, asking yourself how to play that scary thing.

I will tell you, that you will not be able to learn properly to play even the first few bars from memory. Sorry, they are difficult pieces, and even many starters told you that they are to hard for them after a year or more.

Get over this and find the new idea.
Sorry, but you will only lose your time and nerves and she will probably not be pleased by your horrous execution. and, after two months, you will realize, that you mostly lost your time. Maybe do some beutiful origami rose or whatever, it's really easier to learn than piano playing in your case.

Well, there is always possibility that you will love the piano, but, it's life-long journey.

If you want to have some benchmark, go and listen how and what people are playing after few months or years.

M
M
Originally Posted by kapelli
Maybe do some beutiful origami rose or whatever, it's really easier to learn than piano playing in your case.
I bet everyone on the origami forum is cringing at this comment wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
It's amazing how the uninitiated completely underestimate the difficulty of playing piano. It's not easy like operating a pro-level digital SLR or programming a VCR. They think it's no harder than most things adults have experience like learning to operate a stick-shift car in traffic, which most people could be proficient after one month of practice.

Synthesia is neat tool. But the problem is most beginners touching a piano for the very first time has the musical memory of far less than a minute like Brian said. Even if someone showed me all the notes of this song (below) when I first started piano, there is just no way to remember it all in a couple of months. Learning to read the score is actually easier? Of course we are throwing away entirely the issue of quality. Then add in performance stress when you are actually playing it back for that important person.

M
M
Well the things is anybody I mean anybody can knock out a tune on a piano, the difficulty is in playing well and putting together a performance which flows

This piece here I can kinda play it, but the when it gets to 1/8 and 1/16th notes I just don't have the speed and flow to make it sound anything other than clunky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXCzaJh7Gj0

I want to be so good at Piano like VK, that Roland gives me a free piano too!
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
OMG 8 Octaves, I love that Frozen Synthesia!! I just watched it twice in a row.

It's an awesome arrangement and super fun to watch the comments on the screen! What do you think, 3 or people could maybe do it? 5? grin

So what is the significance of different colors in Synthesia? Like the purple runs up and down the keyboard? Does that mean someone played those in one take and the other colors were played in a different take? Or, was none of this ever played and the arranger just typed it in and the computer played it? (Sorry, I know nothing about Synthesia or MIDI stuff)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
In synthesia light blue is left hand, green is right hand.

When a midi file which has multiple instruments is played they use different colours to signify each instrument.

Bad apple is a good example:

about 10 different pianos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF16HpGtuHc

Of course some REALLy fast people can play multihanded stuff IRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWTF8ImmBE

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8-fnHl7mbw

I want to be so good at Piano like VK, that Roland gives me a free piano too!
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Wow, Marasy8 is all fast-fingers! This one I know (it was made for Hatsune-Miku IIRC) but his version is better IMO!

But I can't stand to listen to the Ura-omote Synthesia that you linked -- sorry! No offense meant, but I dislike those computer/synth sounds. That's part of why I like the Let It Go Impossible Synthesia, because it's just piano sounds. Bad Apple is fine too, but probably even more impossible than Let It Go.

Sorry for the thread drift everyone!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission