2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#2283231 05/30/14 09:31 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
In the advent of the re-release of the RD800, I am starting this new thread for obviously RD-800 owners. We are seeing many random threads on RD800 but mostly demos and comparison, which are great. However, in this thread I'm hoping to build a robust collection of tips, tricks, instructions, tutorials, shortcuts, live sets, issues, etc for RD800 owners. What I am NOT looking for in this thread are post such as comparisons to other brands, non-informative demos or non-owner opinions saying you love or hate the RD800. Just user experience only or potential buyers inquiring on certain functions, performance, and features not easily found or explained in a manual or online.

I have been using the RD800 for approximately 4 months and I have learned a lot and still lots to learn. This thread is important to me as I particularly use the RD800 for gigs as tool that produces some income for me. It can only help to learn as much as possible.

So, with that said I will start off with an example of a simple tip for RD800 owners:

If you prefer the sound of the NX Concert Grand over the new Concert Grand but find the NX Concert Grand & NX Concert Mono sounding "nasally" at middle C via your PA, here's a simply fix.

1. Choose you NX Grand Concert or Mono
2. Hit Enter
3. Choose Individual Note Voicing (below Piano Designer)
4. tap middle C
5. use right arrow to go over to Character
6. Then press INC to 1 and listen to the difference. No more nasal!

Hope it helps!

[Linked Image]

R
R
Marko I am replacing my M-Audio Controller. I am considering the MP7(which I have tried) the Physis K4 and the RD800. I know playing the feel of a keyboard is subjective but since you own an RD800 and I have not played one, I am interested in your opinion about the action and such. Considering the other two boards is the RD800 worth waiting for?
P.S. I'm in no hurry...
Thanks Marko

Last edited by Radsurfdad; 05/30/14 08:34 PM.

Hammond A-100, Leslie 145, Physis K4 EX Controller, Digital Performer, Reason, Galaxy Vintage D, VB3 Organ Software, M-Audio 2626 Interface, M-Audio BX5 Monitors, SBX10 SubWoofer, IMac
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
As mentioned in my OP, I really do not want to get into comparisons between RD800 to other brands. I can probably give you a better answer if you tell me what your intentions are with the RD800 - whether it may be for home or stage use.

Regarding action: I do see that you are an organ guy, so Im not sure how much you would enjoy the heavy-like action of a PHA4 or RH2. You might prefer the action of a high end workstation. Anyway, from a piano perspective, the action on the RD800 feels very authentic and nicely weighted. Very similar to PHA3 but quieter. Texture and feel is simply great on the touch. I find it very sensitive in a good way maybe due to its proclaimed high resolution technology. Makes me believe that there is something in addition to just three sensors. Basically it allows you to be very detailed in your playing. I trust most advanced pianists would be pleased with the PHA4, maybe even somewhat impressed. But for advanced pianists that are classical enthusiasts I would still look into Kawai MP11 or even the VPC1 if a stage piano was needed.

Worth the wait?: I can't tell you that the RD800 is worth waiting for, that is up to you. I can tell you that it is certainly worth demoing if you have that opportunity in a few weeks when re-released. Same with MP7 - go demo it. I originally wanted to purchase the MP7 but I could not wait at the time before its release. I was getting pressure from my band to expand on our playlist quickly. I was in a bit of a rush so I immediately looked at NS2, CP4, and RD800. RD800 was the clear winner for what I needed at a fair price. Im sure MP7 will do just about everything the RD800 can do. So, your decision will simply come down to your personal preference of sound, features, and functionality. Good news is that you cant make a bad decision between these two outstanding boards.
BONUS: either board comes with Kawai James or Jay Roland for PW members wink

(Sorry no comment on Physis K4. I know nothing about Physis)

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi Marko, I am back from a music store where I have tested several digital pianos, including the RD800.
First of all I would like to say that PHAIV is a clear improvement over PHAIII. It's less noisy than both PHAIII and Feel G (though a bit more than GF), and it has not that hard bottom out of the other 2 Roland actions.
It is also a bit heavier than PHAIII, though a bit lighter than Feel G, I'd say it's half way from this point of view.
Coming to the sound, I have a question for you. I tried several piano sounds including Concert grand and Studio Grand (that was somewhere down like 34th or so...), but could not find anything mentioning the V-Piano. Do you know which one it is?
I'll come back to the store this summer again as they are probably getting the VPC1 (they call me when they have it so that I can compared it to the MP11, which I tested today too), so I could have a listen again...

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
R
R
Marko my primary use for the keyboard is song writing at home. I have a real Hammond but write mostly on Piano. I had a real Baby grand (but no more).. this is why I am replacing my M-Audio Controller that I use with Galaxy Vintage D as well as other software. A stage piano could work as well. Thanks again for your input!

Hammond A-100, Leslie 145, Physis K4 EX Controller, Digital Performer, Reason, Galaxy Vintage D, VB3 Organ Software, M-Audio 2626 Interface, M-Audio BX5 Monitors, SBX10 SubWoofer, IMac
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
but could not find anything mentioning the V-Piano. Do you know which one it is?

Hi Digitalguy,

You will not see any tone mentioning V. I believe the default Concert Grand is (or based on) the V-Piano Grand. Maybe Jay can elaborate on that.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
but could not find anything mentioning the V-Piano. Do you know which one it is?

Hi Digitalguy,

You will not see any tone mentioning V. I believe the default Concert Grand is (or based on) the V-Piano Grand. Maybe Jay can elaborate on that.

Thanks Marko, the default Concert Grand sounds virtually identical to the one on my (and most other) Roland DP, so I would say that is the normal Supernatural Concert Grand. Maybe Jay can tell us more...

Last edited by Digitalguy; 05/31/14 02:40 PM. Reason: typo

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Radsurfdad
Marko my primary use for the keyboard is song writing at home.

In that case, the RD800 would be an excellent choice for you especially if you are a songwriter. The RD has many additional usable voices that might inspire as well 200 rhythm patterns. You might also want to consider the FA-08 workstation if action is not your first priority. It is jam packed with many Integra sounds.

Also the RD800 is great if it's just staying at home and you don't have to move it to often as it is heavy and long. The MP7 might fare better for moving around as it is a couple pounds lighter and 2" shorter. But CP4 and any Casio stage DP wins for mobility.

B
B
Roland have recently released System Version 1.04 for the RD-800

As well as fixing bugs previously reported, Roland have added a great new feature in the latest version of the software;
A numeric-keypad input function was added to Tone selection and Live Set selection.

How to know check the system program version of your RD-800.
1. Hold down [ DEC ] and [ INC ] and switch on the power to the unit.
2. After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.

Bugs/anomalies in Program Version 1.04:

Tones 265-322: E.ORGAN's
Symptom: 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting is set to '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary', which would be the expected setting for E.ORGAN's. In comparison, the 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' numbered 255-264, are set to 'Rotary' as expected.
Reported: 9th July 2014 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: Awaited

Wish list

Layer/Zone Edit short-cut & Menu access
1. Enable direct access to the 'Layer Edit' screen ('Live Set Edit' > 'Layer Edit') using the right cursor key from the home screen.
2. Likewise, allow the left cursor to exit the this menu, or any sub-menu...
Currently there is an inconsistency in that, whilst the right cursor will take you from a menu into a sub-menu (same as using the ENTER key), the left cursor does not take you out, instead the user has to press the EXIT/SHIFT key.
Even in sub-menus like 'Individual Note Voicing' where the left/right cursor keys are used to navigate, the left cursor should be able to take you out and back to the previous menu.

Last edited by bgiles; 07/09/14 10:12 PM. Reason: Updated following release of new System Version

Roland RD-800, RD-700, SRX-02, SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, EV-5
P
P
Just got a new RD-800 and am looking for which setting will give me a sound closest to a B-3 with a leslie tremelo effect (ala Jimmy Smith). I'm new to digital pianos, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by plumpfingers
Just got a new RD-800 and am looking for which setting will give me a sound closest to a B-3 with a leslie tremelo effect (ala Jimmy Smith). I'm new to digital pianos, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Using the RD-800's virtual tonewheel organ mode, set the base sound to 888000000 with slow/fast/stopped Leslie, and perhaps key percussion set to soft with third harmonic.

Adjust to taste.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by plumpfingers

I don't see anything stupid here at all. A decent answer, especially one that got into the nuances of making the sound as realistic as possible, would help all. Having said that, I'm betting that many professional keyboard players would use a dual setup with a weighted keys keyboard such as the Roland RD800 together with a non-weighted keyboard, and that they would play most of the organ sounds through the non-weighted keyboard.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
P
P
Thanks very much Petes1 and Kawai James,
I'm far from a professional player but I certainly understand why Petes1 suggestion makes sense. I'm so new to this game that I'm struggling to execute the instructions from Kawai James. I'll be spending some time with the owner's manual to figure out how to set the bass sound, the leslie speed, etc. But I really appreciate all the help.

C
C
Speaking of organ sounds, can the drawbars be controlled over MIDI?

I was wondering whether it would be possible to hook up an un-weighted controller keyboard with drawbars and set up a patch such that the RD can handle the piano duties whilst I put the organ on a second tier.

G
G
IS there any reason to get the 700NX over the 800?

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by grandpianodave

I read this over in the Roland Forums. Not sure if it answers your question but it's something to think about if you are considering the RD700nx. I only disagree on the action. I find the PHA4 action superb. Very similar to the RD700NX, but without the hard bottoming out and much quieter.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 06/16/14 03:26 PM.
Interesting review specifications comparison.

I wasn't aware that MP3/SMF playback had been removed.

James
x

Last edited by Kawai James; 06/16/14 07:45 PM. Reason: As noted below, this reads more like a spec comparison than an actual hands-on review.

M
M
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Originally Posted by grandpianodave

I read this over in the Roland Forums. Not sure if it answers your question but it's something to think about if you are considering the RD700nx. I only disagree on the action. I find the PHA4 action superb. Very similar to the RD700NX, but without the hard bottoming out and much quieter.

[Linked Image]

Seems like this person is just comparing spec sheets...it doesn't appear they've played the RD-800 to really lend credibility to their opinion on things like action and the LCD screen. In the end, it's a person's opinion, so you gotta check both out if you are considering either one.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Both are Gone.

The RD800 does offer some great audio manipulation tools for WAV files. Speed up and Slow down 25% each way, Audio Transpose through a full octave and Centre Cancel Functionality.

Live sets is basically unlimited with a USB stick so that spec doesn't really wash. I don't know of too many keyboard players with 200 MUST HAVE setups in a single board though.

Still its a great live instrument. Best stage piano we've ever produced. I've been here since the days of the RD600.

Jay

Industry Consultant
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Seems like this person is just comparing spec sheets...it doesn't appear they've played the RD-800 to really lend credibility to their opinion on things like action and the LCD screen.

Yes, good catch. The way the review is written does sound like more like a spec comparison than an instrument comparison.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission