2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stubbie Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Have you learned lessons about life--profound or mundane--from your piano endeavors? Something you came to realize about yourself, first at the piano, but that you realize, now, carries over into your interactions with others, other endeavors, the world?

Many times when I encounter something new in piano (e.g. technique or new piece) it seems impossible to me in the beginning. I now realize that if I keep at it, and break things down into manageable chunks, soon it becomes quite do-able. I'm experiencing more or less the same thing in one of my other hobbies, birding. At first every bird looked like a sparrow and sounded like "chirp chirp." (I exaggerate here, but you get the idea. smile ) Now I can identify quite a few birds by sight and sound. Plus, the more birds and bird songs I learn, the easier new ones get. And as in piano, my learning curve has not been linear.

In a nutshell, piano has taught me to be less daunted by learning new things, to be patient with myself and with the pace at which they transition from "impossible" to routine.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I have often read the advice on this forum, to slow down, to break things into manageable pieces. There have been so many times I am able to apply this lesson to other life situations. If I am moving so fast so mistakes are happening, I remind myself to slow down, take a breath, do one thing at a time, possibly break the task into smaller pieces.

Another thing I am coming to grips with on piano is my limitations. There are certain piano related things I am okay at. While other things might be an enormous struggle for me (as compared to the average person much less the talented person). This is another life lesson, that banging my head on a wall, continuing to throw time and effort at things or situations, that I may have little aptitude for, or little control over, can be as draining and frustrating for me as trying to learn certain piano related skills. Whether the cost in time and effort is worth it, is something I can decide. There is no real "have to," when in comes to hobbies. Hobbies are supposed to be fun.

Perhaps the most important is a third lesson of gratitude. I am thankful for the skills that I can learn, to enjoy the things I can do. There is a world of skills that might require more effort, more time, possibly more money, than I want to throw in, and that is okay. I can make a decision. I can try. I can make a mistake. If it turns out to be too much, there is no shame in that either.

M
M
Yes my perfectionism expectations have taken beneficial adjustment. In school one expects to go to class knowing the work 100%. Piano is gradual progress not weekly perfection. To enjoy the PROCESS takes patience with myself.

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I have done quite a lot in my 56 years, and I am thinking of the life changing events that have made me what I am today. Rather than piano teaching me something about life, if seems everything I have done to date has prepared me for piano.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
This is going to be a very interesting thread.

I'm learning that the things I tell my (English language ) students apply to me...

1. be patient with yourself.
2. don't expect to get everything right the first time
3. work on your English (piano) every day, even if it is only
15 minutes
4. be as kind and understanding with yourself as you are with
your classmates /students
5. Expect and accept plateaus. They are necessary.

I'm really realizing that I have never had to work very hard at anything in my life to do well - except for maths. Most things I've tried have come fairly easily, but piano has been a rougher road. Perhaps this is because piano is more important to me so I have a higher standard of what is acceptable ---or maybe because it really is simply much harder than other things I've done. Whatever the reason, it has often been a source of great frustration and I've had to work at (and am still working at) accepting the necessity and pleasure of enjoying the journey and putting less focus on the destination.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
In jazz, when you hit a wrong note or play a phrase that doesn't fit, you can treat it as a motif, repeat it, maybe change the chords to fit the phrase, develop it by playing variations on it, turn it into something wonderful, if you have the chops.

I've tried the same approach in life.

Doesn't work, I just keep digging myself into a deeper hole. frown

Need life chops, I guess!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Rather than piano teaching me something about life, if seems everything I have done to date has prepared me for piano.

In a lot of ways, this fits with my experience. I actually practiced a martial art for about 10 years (I slowly stopped as I devoted more and more time to piano). I started that as an adult beginner as well, I think I was around 20 years old. The process of starting as a complete beginner, and really just enjoying daily practice without much expectations had a huge impact on how I live my life (sorry if that sounds cliche!) I ended up practicing every day (twice sometimes with morning practice) and teaching children and beginners classes as well.

I think the discipline I learned in martial arts (which is a group activity with lots of people encouraging you) has played a huge part in the success I've been able to experience at the piano (which 6 days out of 7 is a solitary activity in which you have to encourage yourself!)

After starting marital arts (during a break in college) I returned to school, completed a bachelor's degree, got a job over seas and became bilingual. I then took up the piano, and later decided I wanted to go back to school, took the GRE and up to this point have completed a master's degree and am currently working on my PhD. I think I learned the fundamentals of discipline through martial arts, and certainly I've seen proof that I can be disciplined through piano. But I see my experience with martial arts as the real source of the things that I do that allow me to be successful in these long pursuits (foreign language study, piano, graduate school).

The one thing that I have learned through piano that I never had to face in martial arts is how to live with performance anxiety. I don't remember if I was ever nervous during belts tests in martial arts, but if I was it never got in my way.

Piano, on the other hand, and playing for others, produced in my the kind of stage fright/shakes that I never experienced in anything else. But like Casinitaly, because I care about piano so much, I made the effort to learn about it and figure out how to keep it from getting in my way.

This (my ability to deal with performance anxiety) has then been very helpful in other activities, especially in giving presentations of my research, in teaching and in interview situations.

So I guess I would say that martial arts taught me discipline and showed me how to enjoy the process at any level from beginner on. Piano has taught me how to deal with nerves and smile in the face of my own fear.

Both of these are important beyond words in my daily life.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow. I am learning so much here. Like most of you, I have learned self-patience; That, with time, you accomplish your goal. More than anything, I learned that the passion for piano never goes away. I had about a 15 year sabbatical ( with intermittent spurts of playing) because of all of the life issues that got in the way. I am seriously grateful in spite of this. I say this, because when I started playing again on a daily basis, I was a different person, with a different focus. The love and yearning to learn new music, a new genre (Jazz), compose my own new music was just as strong if not stronger than ever before. I re-started scales, Bach inventions, etc... Before I knew it I was beyond where I was when I stopped. The piano never left me; the 'Muse" was here, waiting for me. As strange as this may sound to many of you, for me, it is the ultimate unconditional love, spirit.
Whatever your passion(s) in life, It never abandons you. At any given moment, at any given time, you are exactly where you are supposed to be,

Play with joy, play with love.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Three things:

1. Pleasure is not necessarily correlated to competence. (I have enormous fun and no one would describe my playing as competent.)
2. All skills do not come equally easily to all people. (I work with kids who struggle to learn skills that many of us never even noticed that we learned without trying.)

and my favorite:

3. Imperfect Mastery. (I expect my special needs kids to work on their skills at whatever level of competence they have. I want them trying to interact even when they aren't very good at it. So the same goes for me with piano: This is where I am; the only way to get better is to put it out there.)

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I'm experiencing more or less the same thing in one of my other hobbies, birding. At first every bird looked like a sparrow and sounded like "chirp chirp." (I exaggerate here, but you get the idea. smile ) Now I can identify quite a few birds by sight and sound.

I've learned better the rule of the 3 Ps - Practice, Patience and Persistence...

And as far as recognizing birds there are two frequently around my house that I've come to know well and love: Bluejays and Turkeys. Jays are aggressive and smart - they will actually go from peanut to peanut weighing them until they get the heaviest one before flying off with it to their nests (sometimes they'll pick up two at once). And the "Tom" turkeys (large, adult males) will gobble loudly and strongly when chasing off or viciously attacking the younger males ("jakes") while simultaneously puffing out their chests and fanning their tail feathers in mad pursuit of the (usually) largely uninterseted females - hilarious!

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
In my life. Many times I've come across doing everything in my life excellent. To take on this attitude because it "rubs off" on what I'm trying to accomplish. I even ran across this straight out in singing. Yet, I have viewed that often as just being an actor. Putting on an act. Not being real. Being false. Yet, singing is a gift to me. It comes naturally.
Now piano is the kicker. The difficult one. There is so much that is to be completely trained in the base mind/nervous system. Including all that I know already from physiological training. Combine that with the mindset I'm picking up in my new System of learning piano. She hasn't come out and said this. But the format of the mind is there. I'm having to change things in my life to be excellent. I cannot tolerate letting things go. A messy home. A home that is not orderly and neat. I can go on with examples. It's just setting up excellence because the base mind/nervous system is stupid and corrupt. It must be disciplined. It must be disciplined in this way to play piano the way I want to. Piano is just too difficult. There is too much in the base mind/nervous system that needs to be trained.
This is only for training the base mind/nervous system to play piano the way I want to. To me this is just something temporary in this life. When I get down to what makes me tick. It is the Spirit of my God. That makes me feel drunk, while at the same time speeds up my mind with clarity. Things of this world seem unimportant. I can make it through a mess and keep myself clear. Face it, the world is a big mess. Daily life is wading through a big mess. But my private life. My home, myself. For the first time I'm having to discipline my base mind/nervous system with excellence surrounding myself. This is not an act. It's not my ego. It's needed to do this physical thing called playing piano.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
1. Not everything can be "conquered" by sheer force of will and effort. Some things (like piano) just take time and understanding, and no amount of increased effort is going to change that.

2. Goals change, so allow for that. Same with preferences.

3. There are some pretty nice people everywhere in the world... many of them play the piano and hang at PW. grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The most important thing I learned at the piano.......Enjoy beauty of things.... Enjoy deep emotions......Enjoy fun of things....

Playing piano helps me to express my feelings...bad, happy, depressed, cheerfully....it's like marriage...for better and worse

Cheers,
JB

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
This time last year I could not name a note. I didn't know the piano terms. I definitely didn't know how to play a song!

My lesson learned is that no matter how slow I'm moving, I will definitely be further in the future as long as I keep pressing. Eventually it will all make sense if I plug and plug at it.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
There's a lot more out there than just pianos that need a tune up. cry

Last edited by Rerun; 05/30/14 07:48 AM.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by earlofmar
I have done quite a lot in my 56 years, and I am thinking of the life changing events that have made me what I am today. Rather than piano teaching me something about life, if seems everything I have done to date has prepared me for piano.

Yes, indeed. I started a couple of years ago at 50. It reinforced what we already know: To everything, there is a season.

nada
M
M
Those who love what you love are the most joyous company.

Shame isn't fatal. It is certainly no reason to quit.

There is a place for everyone in music.

Even when you play alone, someone benefits.

Foundations come first. They can also come slowly.

Perfect love casts out fear.....oh wait, that was someone else smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Have I learned something from my piano education the last 9 months, perhaps...

I've been playing golf for 40+ years. For as long as I can remember I've never been on a golf course where I didn't feel some angst, pressure, etc.

Today I played my first round since starting my lessons. I was calm, patient, and did not let an early tough start get me down.
I finished quite well, and had a totally stress-free round for the first time when I can remember.

A coincidence, perhaps. But still... wink

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes... it's called "the art of recovery". When you mess up, big time, while playing the piano in front of 2500 people, what do you do? Recover from the mistake and move on like nothing out of the ordinary happened. smile

There are many other things in life that we may need to recover from... emotional trauma, addictions, depression, physical illness, etc...

Ususally, we come away from these things having learned something important... such as, making a mistake while playing the piano in public is not the end of the world. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
P
Learning to play piano reminds me of when I started taking dance classes before I became a professional. It is almost like learning to crawl/walk/run. Very humbling to learn to crawl at age 34. It's a reminder to me to be patient with myself and to trust others, my teacher and beyond.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission