2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Hi everyone,

I have about 26 students now and most of them are not beginners anymore.. Approximately half of them can learn and play entertaining pieces.

My intention to hold mini concerts for the students is to have all of them (whether they will participate or not) spectate the other students who are of a higher level than them and be motivated (and maybe just a little show off to the parents blush )

My questions are..

How will I introduce this new system to them (students and parents) and have them interested to participate?
How will I ask for a minimum fee to help me cover the cost of finger foods?
Should I even have finger foods?
Should there be any other activities to keep people entertained? Games? competitions? for kids? parents?

And the most important question:
How will I fit in teaching the piece they will showcase besides the exam syllabus?

Any advice or suggestions would be extremely helpful!
Thanks! thumb

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My studio is about the same size and we do recitals twice a year.

We hold the recital in a local church with an excellent piano. I pay for the room reservation out of lesson fees. The church has very kindly set their tuning schedule to be right before our recitals. They started doing this of their own accord after our second recital. I guess we are regular customers now smile

We do not have food because there is no food allowed in the room with the piano and I don't want to pay a whole other room reservation fee just to have food.

Participation is optional. I don't require anyone to perform, either at our studio recital or at other events, and some people always end up choosing other commitments. This is fine with me as the ones who perform are the ones motivated to perform and to enjoy hearing the other students. At least half the studio performs each time.

I don't have them prepare a new piece with the recital in mind. For any performing opportunity we always choose from repertoire that is already mastered, and we make the final decision a month ahead of time. Sometimes a student begs to be allowed to play their current working piece so I challenge them to have it mastered by 3 weeks ahead of time.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
P
I think you are really over thinking this recital idea.

I'll start with the easiest thing:
Refreshments - ask families to bring refreshments, and have a sign-up sheet leading up to the recital. You, as teacher, pick up the slack - usually I provide the plates and napkins. Don't charge families extra for refreshments.

Participants:
You write that only half of your students can play anything entertaining. First off, that seems pretty depressing! From who's perspective are you writing this? Parents will enjoy a performance by their own child. Little children playing anything is entertaining for the concert - think "cute factor".

Repertoire:
I agree with Heather - better to choose from repertoire they already know. If you want them to learn more "entertaining" music that isn't on their exam syllabus, have them start learning it earlier in the year (perhaps January).

Introducing the new system:
Send an email with the recital date. Most people are familiar with recitals - you don't need to explain very much. Especially if you all of your students are welcome to perform.

Other activities to keep people entertained:
Not necessary - the recital is the entertainment, and the refreshments afterwards are for socializing.

I hope it works out for you. Keep it simple!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Liezl Tajanlangit
My intention to hold mini concerts for the students is to have all of them (whether they will participate or not) spectate the other students who are of a higher level than them and be motivated

In my experience, this motivation won't happen. If anything, the lower-end kids will just get discouraged, especially if you have some talented kids and some really slow kids.

Therefore, I don't invite all the kids to recitals.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
our recital is simple - everyone has the option, there is a fee, and anyone can sign up.

The kids can sit with mom and dad or wait in the green room. My daughter prefers the green room. :P

To inspire my child we attend local concerts. You might think about looking for free/low cost concerts in your community/local university. If I owned the music school, I'd put up flyers about them or mention them in a monthly email update. Then kids and parents can mingle and hear beautiful music.

About our recitals - when there is a LOT of participation i wish there was an intermission or it was in two parts so people can leave. no one should be expected sit through 3 hours of a music recital, dance recital, etc. laugh

I have been so happy since the last one was over in under 90 minutes.

Last edited by MaggieGirl; 05/28/14 01:36 PM.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission