2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
P
Don't know about all this technical talk, but you sound great Jazzwee. I would also like to see a video on Youtube.

Phil

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
JW: I agree on Goldings. I think you've checked out Larry Young? That's part of where Goldings come from. I'd also recommend Don Patterson, who played on lot's of Sonny Stitt's records. He is also more from the Bebop school that the soul jazz school. You don't have to look for Patterson as a leader; just look for Stitt albums with Patterson.

Finally, if you like Goldings, you need to check out the Hans Groiner videos on YouTube. I'll say no more on that so I won't ruin the surprise.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I wish you hadn't brought this up, because now I'm looking at that Nord C2 with the two manuals and thinking how great that would be to play continuo with my wife and her recorders. See what you've done? If I only had a few thousand dollars to spend...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
I wish you hadn't brought this up, because now I'm looking at that Nord C2 with the two manuals and thinking how great that would be to play continuo with my wife and her recorders. See what you've done? If I only had a few thousand dollars to spend...

Sam

LOL. Well - I'm in this boat because someone showed me what an organ can do. smile I'm happy to share the pain!

I was at a jam session and someone brought a Nord Stage 2 with Swell pedal. Then when it was my turn to play, I switched from piano to organ and everyone said the organ sounded really good and wanted to hear MORE!

Nord C2 is the big time! smile Can't afford that. I hear the pros also talking about the Crumar Mojo as the top of the line dual manual clonewheel.

BTW, there isn't much talk of organs in the Digital forum but in the pro keyboard forums, it's 50% of the discussion. So it doesn't see much light of day among "learning" folks.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
JW: I agree on Goldings. I think you've checked out Larry Young? That's part of where Goldings come from. I'd also recommend Don Patterson, who played on lot's of Sonny Stitt's records. He is also more from the Bebop school that the soul jazz school. You don't have to look for Patterson as a leader; just look for Stitt albums with Patterson.

Finally, if you like Goldings, you need to check out the Hans Groiner videos on YouTube. I'll say no more on that so I won't ruin the surprise.

Yes jjo. I learned Larry Young from you and bought an album by him (thanks BTW!). I noticed that Goldings took Larry Young's playing style and built from it. Young really kept the same sound most of the time (I guess the 888000000 sound). Goldings would tweak a lot more, though not like the blues guys.

So where are you now in your organ pursuits? Are you ready to gig? (minus LH bass I think you said).

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Just thinking here that the bane of any adult beginning pianist is developing the piano touch which probably takes at least 10 years.

On organ, the main issue is just the ability to play evenly and in perfect time. The touch/tone side is handled electrically.

The same ears are required for piano vs. organ, however. But it gives someone who doesn't practice as hard a fighting chance to achieve something in a shorter amount of time.

Someone quoted a number of hours as 1:3 ratio (organ vs. piano). I'm sure this only relates to technique since musically, the journey is the same.

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
JW: I don't intend to use the organ in combination with piano because I'd have to bring two keyboards. Way too complicated. My focus is on the traditional organ combos where I play bass, although not on pedals. I've jammed with a drummer a couple of times, and I've got a guitar player who wants to play with us; we just need to find the right time. Progress is slow because I can only play a piece if I really shedded the bass line. So now I've only got about 3 or 4 tunes I can play. With piano still #1, progress will be slow, but I hope steady. Have no idea if I'll ever find a venue for a gig.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
jjo, how did Tony Monaco teach you bass? Fixed patterns for ii-V-I's first? Complete improvisation? Transcribe first?

I was trying to do something too complicated in my LH (improvising). Did too many patterns and that's part of my difficulty today. If I were to rethink this, I'd just concentrate on groove first and simplify the patterns. Add patterns slowly.

What do you think?

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
JW: Simple, fixed, patterns. When I struggled with walking, we did a whole piece with mainly octaves and fifths. For example, a ii-V -I to Bb maj: C G C F# / F C F B / Bb etc. Fancy bass lines and improvising come much later. Now it's about developing the groove.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
So 1-5-8-half-step is the preferred approach?

I was doing 1-3-5-#11

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I just want to post a comparison between my piano playing and my organ playing (as of this moment). I still think that my capacity to express articulation on the organ is at a baby stage. I'm a little better on piano.

There's obviously a different articulation approach on the organ. I hear the A-List players and they are so expressive. But an organ has a square envelope, as they say. There is no decay. So I haven't found the answer yet.

Articulation, as you get more advanced is about dynamics at each note, and micro-time control at the note level. These are subtle elements that often cannot be heard by beginners. I can do it to some degree on piano now. Now that I'm able to hear it on piano, it's glaringly absent on organ and it is frustrating.

Piano
https://app.box.com/s/aehj7n0v797tx1sxmmt5

Organ
https://app.box.com/s/lxqv582m6zo9cbyaqgl7

I'm thinking though that learning control of the organ articulation may add to development in piano control, at least at the time level (clearly not in dynamics).

BTW - most newbies in organ are probably concerned about the organ specific sounds like blues licks, glisses, smears, etc. I think these are the easy elements. I think the basics have to be mastered. Like starting at Alfreds Level 1.

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Tony never suggested it's preferred, just one approach. I think he was just looking for something that was easy to play, so I think just pick what comes more naturally.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I can see the benefits of 1-5-8. You don't have to consider the chord quality for major/minor. So you basically only think of the root (and the occasional half-dim). I was able to do All the Things You Are without thinking much.

It's really neat you're in the same area as the most well known Hammond B3 teacher.

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Actually, Tony is in Ohio and I'm in Chicago. The lessons use Skype, and Tony is well set up to do that. We even did one lesson from his hotel room when he was on the road.

J
J
Hi Jazzwee,

That is really kool that you are getting into organ, I just love the sound too. Different technique it is, something of "another animal" to tame and I'd say its just as difficult to get a good sound on a tune on organ than it is on piano. Just different.

If you have another keyboard with MIDI you can then configure it as the 2nd manual for the Nord, unless the Nord doesn't allow for it but I think it does. I do this with my Kurz PC3X or a computer running Native Instrument's B4. There are (or were) real drawbar MIDI accessories available too but if you ever get your hands on a Nord electro 4D, it has bars instead of those 2 up/down buttons.

I too, would love to get my hands on a B3 or even just an M100; both with a Leslie of course wink Good ones in near pristine condition are quite expensive (3-4K average, unless you know a little old lady that has one to get rid of). And one of my pet projects for when I retire in a few years is to find one and restore it to factory like-new. I remember as a kid still being fascinated with the rotating horn in the big brown box smile

For some great listening, check out Vince Seneri, Joey DeFrancesco, Reuben Wilson.

John

"My piano is therapy for me" - Rick Wright.
Instrument: Rebuilt Kurzweil K2500XS and a bunch of great vintage virtual keyboards. New Kurzweil PC3X.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey John, tell us of your organ playing history! Each one starts differently and it's fascinating to hear how one evolves to organs.

I've been having so many issues with so many things to learn on this. I've been asking questions on another keyboard forum where there's a lot of organ experts.

There's a lot to absorb but I've made quite a bit of headway in a couple of weeks so I'm excited.

Right now, I'm figuring out how to do LH Bass on organ. Much different from what I learned with LH bass on piano. Less area to cover (octave). We'll see how it goes.

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Just found out that Joey D is coming to one of my preferred local music clubs. I've seen in several times before, but I'll be going to this one, for sure. Right now he's touring with a Chicago based drummer (George Fludas) and a guitar player who used to be in Chicago although I think he's out in LA now (Jeff Parker).

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Cool jjo!

How long has it been since you started on organ BTW?

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
My first lesson with Tony was in January. I take a lesson every 3 weeks or so as I don't practice enough to take weekly lessons. It's been fun, but this concept for working a full time job may have to go!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
The journey continues! Played organ at a gig tonight after 3 weeks of trying to figure it out. Still lots of rough edges but the audience seems to like the sound though.

https://app.box.com/s/c2nc8vwao9r4b0bhtnnn

My Jazz Blog

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission