2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466 Scarlatti music is great and this sonata is no exception. I like the way you make it modern and lyrical. Pedal is ok, it helps with expression without being "too much". Well done!

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose Lovely music and so uplifting. Your playing is always full of like you have a real audience for you. brava!

28. ajames - Just a Day Away Nice music, and I can hardly believe you are a 10 months beginner! Thanks also because you presented a new composer!

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame Your composition is beautiful and really well played; the story behind adds so much to it. Thanks for sharing!

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes Another original composition, nice melody and played with expressivity. Well done!

25. joangolfing - Arietta I appreciated the Lyrical pieces listening to the themed recital some time ago and I liked this one. You play it very well, with attention to every voice and the result is beautiful.

24. Mar_red - Love Story I really like your arrangement of this famous and nice theme; I find that both intro and ending add something to it. I like your style of playing and the sound of your piano. Great job!

23. N17 - Dance in G You started only 5 months ago but you are musical and the rendition of this dance has the right lift. Congratulations!

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts You and your piano are really a winning couple! Your "double cover" is beautiful and the sound of your piano is gorgeous. Well done!

21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21 This piece is one of my favourite nocturnes, and I like you rendition: you master the composite rhythms, and your phrasing and dynamics are great. Brava!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses) Carlos I agree that this is all quiet ocean and moonlight - maybe even ships that pass in the night. Romantic,evocative, tender and dramatic - it made me thing of dreams, and illusions, what a fascinating piece. Thanks so much for sharing this! I enjoyed your performance.

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures Another original composition. Sounds like you had a frustrating time getting your recording done - but the result was worth the effort. Sweet!!!! What a charming piece- cheerful - bouncy, ---it reminded me a bit of Vince Guaraldi. Loved the energy - this piece shouts joy and optimism. Loved it!

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor Congratulations on your first submission! I love this little piece! I think that considering you've only been playing a few months you've done extremely well on this piece- sure there are some little errors, but they don't leave a lasting impression - what stands out is that you have captured the spirit and voice of the piece and you played it very nicely indeed!

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60) I like Kabalevsky - these pieces are really charming - I could hear the "circus" too smile They are lively little pieces that are very expressive. Lovely contrasts with the dynamics - and wow, your piano sounds just gorgeous!

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14 This is a piece I've never heard of before- I like the sound of it - a bit country, a bit honky-tonk - a bit bluesy... Really interesting and most enjoyable - thanks for the introduction!

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell I remember that program on the Civil War, TJ, it was really quite something. This performance is a lovely rendition, and really stirs up the memories from watching that show - I can see the grainy black and white -- mostly grey- photos, the sombre faces - A very moving performance TJ, every time I hear a new selection from you I hear more shades of tone and greater depths - you are really finding the right music to bring out the best in your skills. Complimenti!

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1 There are a few composers whose works I could listen to all day -and, no surprise, Chopin is one of them. This was really a delight to listen to Richard. It is a real pleasure to listen to someone who has a great many more years (piano years!) than I do to see where dedication and determination can lead. I truly loved sitting back and relaxing, listening to your sparkling performance!

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2 Thanks for the background information. I had never heard this music before, and I must say I really enjoyed it. I lvoed the very rich moody, full-bodied drama of the first movement. The somewhat lighter tones of the second piece were charming and relaxing. Really beautiful music, beautifully played.

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!! Another "new to me" piece of music - Beautiful. What a stately piece - lovely rippling rolling chords, great pedal work. It may have been challenging to learn, but you've given us an elegant performance with which to conclude this quarterly recital. Complimenti

And thus ends another recital.
Thank you so much to everyone who has worked so hard to present the best of their skilsl for our listening pleasure, and thanks to the team members who have been pulling it all together as far back as I can remember! Monica K, LaValse, Frank, Copper, Sam S., (and now Andy!), mahlzeit and for getting the ball rolling in the first place... Mr. Super-Hunky.

Who ever would have imagined how successful these recitals would be come?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
It's taken a while for me to start listening. I'm really trying to carve out some quality time, instead of just fitting it in. Unfortunately that doesn't improve the quality of my comments!

01. dynamobt/Marilyn - Symphony No. 40 1st mvt Wow, quite a piece to tackle and you two bring across the spirit of this wonderful symphony amazingly well. The tempo really isn't too swell at all - it brings some of the majesty out. Although you say you are banging it out, there are also moments of great delicacy. And for playing it together just a few times, this is amazing. Loved it!

02. Whizbang (Chris) - Milonga del Angel This is incredibly atmospheric. The love you obviously have for this piece shines through. The Latin feel is well done, without being "obvious". The dynamic range and shaping of the phrases is magnificent. Wonderful!

03. ShiroKuro - Big My Secret This is a lovely flowing performance, nice phrasing and good interaction with the melody and accompaniment. It is one of those pieces I allow to just wash over me.

04. Anne H - Discovery At Night I could tell this was Einaudi the second it started; not, I fear, one of his most imaginative pieces (or perhaps one I've heard more than others) but you play it beautifully. You keep the melody clear, though in a couple of spots working to keep the accompaniment quieter (very hard I know!) would pay dividends. You bring a lovely sense of tempo to the piece.

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei". I love these little pieces - Traumerei has been on my list to do for far too long! Both are played wonderfully; the first, I feel you have a perfect tempo and dynamic range for. It has great energy without ever being frenetic. Traumerei is played with great feeling and tenderness without becoming maudlin. Loved it! As for the foot pedal problems - perhaps by a digital? wink (Seriously, that must be very very annoying but it's doesn't distract too much.)

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv Didn't realize it was recital, turned on recorder, blah, blah - hate you! wink Very nice, though a little "dry", would have been great in a smoky bar!

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues Very nice feel, smooth chord progression, and good phrasing on the melody. Also, I really enjoyed some of the subtle rubato. Very nice.

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars I know how technically challenging it can be to do accompaniment and melody in the same hand and you did a really great job of separating them. I liked the phrasing you brought and the sense of space to the piece.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement I like the Kuhlau sonatinas, and this is very nicely played. In the first movement I particularly liked how you kept the phrasing when the melody was in the left hand. The dramatic changes in the piece were handled very well, with great delicacy where needed and sturm und drang in others. Great!

10. CarlosCC - Quietness Out of sadness grows beauty. This is a very moving, tender piece and performance. You play it very beautifully, with good direction and shaping of the piece.

11. Peyton - Escape There's something about Philip Glass's music that I respond to more than other minimalist composers. I think you do a fantastic job of bringing out the simplicity married with subtle changes that have variety. Very nice control over the accompaniment and lovely melodic phrasing. And really well done with the crazy fast bit!

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2. I think you are spot on about this being neglected, though I'm not convinced that any of the movements should be played separately. You brought great energy to the piece, with great phrasing and wonderful use of (subtle) rubato. OK, now get those hands ready for the the third movement! wink

13. Riddler (Ed) - Love Walked In That's a great arrangement and you play it delightfully. The melody really sings, I loved the tempo and the dynamics of the piece.

14. George Schiro - Ambivalence Nice improvisation, I liked the runs and embellishments. I think it could have done with more dynamic range to really make it shine.

15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3 One day I'll dust the first Gymnopedie off again; my teacher never really liked it so we abandoned it before I was really happy with it. You play these with great delicacy and simplicity. There is a nice balance between the accompaniment and the melody, which shines. Great control over the pieces.

16. sinophilia (Diana) - In Church - Op. 39 no. 24 Yes a lovely piece, for all the reasons you give. I think you did a beautiful job, giving this a solemn feeling, voicing the choirds nicely and having good phrasing. I think this is one of those pieces you could play for a lifetime and always find something else in ... wonderful!

17. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Torna A Surriento Smells of Italy! It sounds like you had little time with it, I suspect you could have made it smoother with a longer go at it but it's a wonderful start. The dynamic range was excellent and I really liked the rhythmic changes.

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 A lovely performance of this minuet. You kept the hands together nicely, with a great great balance between them. A couple of transitions could do with more practice but overall it's a lovely performance.

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta Nice find of a piece and beautifully played. The interaction with the voices was nicely done - they are well balanced. My teacher would say you should make the "active" voice more dominant but I like it just the way it is!

20. Newbert - New York State of Mind One of my favorite Billy Joel pieces. I think this piece is quite hard even in the "easy arrangement" so I commend you for tackling it early back in your return to the piano. As you progress, try to make it smoother and add more phrasing in, perhaps with more pedal? But I really enjoyed the way you made the melody sing and some of the little touches were great.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Andy, you made me laugh! LOL. As i said "Nothing special". grin

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wimpiano

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro (to do)
Ah Telemann! Nice!! His music makes me kind of "swing along". I tried the singing you suggested, ok let's call it humming wink , but it really works! I like your playing actually better then a recording I have of this piece on a Harpsichord. Just beautiful!

Thank you blush

I have to admit that although I am definitely a Baroque lover (my to do list is full of Scarlatti and Rameau), I am not fond of the sound of the harpsichord at all. I tried to search Youtube for a piano recording of this piece but found none...so hopefully I will be able to make a better recording one of these days and upload it smile

But I have noticed that it is good for my playing of such music to occasionally play with the harpsichord option of my silent piano. The touch is lighter, but it is totally unforgiving of any sloppiness, because these's no sound if my fingers are lazy.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
13 Performer's name: Riddler (Ed) From: Florida Title of piece: Love Walked In Composer: Gershwin
Just the sort of thing that I would like to be able to play someday! Sounded very improvisational but you say it comes from a book of Gershwin arrangments? Nice timing and color to the piece. Very pleasant!

14 Performer's name: George Schiro From: Florida, USA Title of piece: Ambivalence Composer: Schiro, George
Has a bit of the Spanish in it perhaps? I liked the quieter parts that were a bit more pensive. Is this piece written down at all? Great effort.

15 Performer's name: peterws/peter Title of piece: Gymnopedies 2 & 3 Composer: Satie
Aah, old favorites! Loved the tempo and your playing was very eloquent. I really enjoyed it when you took a little off the volume. Nice dynamics! Great!

16 Performer's name: sinophilia (Diana) Title of piece: In Church - Op. 39 no. 24 Composer: Tchaikovsky
What a pleasure to hear this. In Church was the piece that I played for the Tchaikovsky recital and I really struggled with it! I had a lot of trouble hitting chords precisely and my pedaling was a mess! HOWEVER, all that work paid nice dividends on my piece for this quarterly recital, as the same techniques were utilized. I found In Church to be a really rewarding piece to learn. After the recital, I happened to go to downtown scottsdale to the Steinway dealer and I played In Church there on a big 9 foot concert D. Wow - the big piano brought out amazing depths to the piece. I still enjoy playing it in the late evening. Your rendition is very much like mine so of course I thought it was great!

17 Performer's name: Mike White Title of piece: Torna A Surriento
So you played this pretty much by ear then? Wow. I liked your variations and embellishments. Super job.

Performer's name: earlofmar From: Australia Title of piece: Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 Composer: Bach
It's a sweet sounding piece. Very delicate and graceful. I learned my first Bach in the past few months so it was very pleasant to hear this piece that I was not familiar with. I liked the pace of your playing and you played very evenly and cleanly. The voices came through very clearly! A fine effort!

Performer's name: CASINITALY (Cheryl) From: Italy Title of piece: Fughetta Composer: Pachelbel
This sounds like a piece I might be ready to try. Hopefully it will be in my repertoire book. Good stately piece and nice voicing. Challenging trill!

20 Performer's name: Newbert From: Glens Falls, NY Title of piece: New York State of Mind Composer: Billy Joel
What a fun piece! There are some great chords and elegant syncopation. Really sounded like it would be a blast to play. Thanks for recording it and introducing it. Nice playing!

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 05/21/14 01:09 AM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2 - Tarik, I'm so glad you decide to continue your piano journey. It would be a pity if we couldn't hear your playing because I think you did a terrific job with this piece. A professional sound. Very, very good. Congratulations

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts - Wow, a cover of a cover! That's doubles the attention to your playing. Your unmistakable playing style never disappoints me. The way you use the entire keyboard is amazing and, at the same time, you keep the melody along the entire piece without losing the main theme. A great, great job. As usual, Mr. S-H.

25. joangolfing - Arietta - So sweet and well played and it's a pleasure to hear this piece. I could spend hours listening to it. Good job!

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues - AZ, this is great. Your sense of timing and touch are perfect. Very enjoyable to listen to. Congratulations!

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes - I was intrigued and curious to hear this piece. Now, I understand why you choose this title, it fits perfectly with the melody. Thanks for the lyrics. Good job!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I've been on business travel and been too swamped to spend quality time with the recital.

Before things got too stale, I wanted to thank Diana, Doris, Peyton, Ataru74, Sam S, Cheryl, AZ_Astro, ShiroKuro, piano_primo_1, PathBreaker, Rerun, wouter79, Cathy, peterws, jazzwee, 8 Octaves, earlofmar, wimpiano, noobpianist90, Riddler, TheodorN, CarlosCC, jazztpt, and Andy for all the nice comments.

wouter79: A special thanks to your careful listening and critique of my performance. We've corresponded privately about your critique, many points with which I agree. It's invaluable to have a critical ear provide candid and constructive feedback.

Diana: I looked up the Argerich performances of Piazzolla's works on YouTube as a result of your comment. Thanks for the pointer!

ShiroKuro: for "Milonga del Angel" (and "Libertango"), you should consider reaching out to John Mortensen, an educator at Cedarville University, who created the arrangement that I performed. He'll probably freely send you a copy of his score.

The first piano arrangements I ever found of Piazzolla were from a German publisher called TONOS: namely, I found the 'angel' series: "Milonga del Angel," "Muerte del Angel," "Resurreccion del Angel" and the 'four seasons of Buenos Aires': Primavera Porteno, Verano Porteno, Otono Porteno, and Invierno Porteno". These are all beautiful pieces that have a Piazzolla feel, but they're very reduced excerpts of the themes of the full pieces. I still recommend them. I think Tonos is gone now, but one of the big publishing companies I think has picked up the copyrights (sheetmusicplus?) so you may be able to order them online.

8 Octaves: "3 pieces merged into one". How true that is--it's really 5 instruments merged into one. Mortensen did an awesome job in keeping that ensemble feel in his arrangement, but it's a juggling act!

"Milonga" is possibly my favorite piece of music ever. I can't really leave off without linking a performance by the original quintet:

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ataru074, thanks for the link to the mic technique info, maybe someday, if I ever have a piano with sound that would make it worth it! smile

Jazzpt, CarlosCC and Andy Platt, thanks for listening and for the compliments!

Whizbang, thanks for the tip, I might just do that! Although, it sounds like it's pretty challenging to play...

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
41 Andy Platt

A lot o` different moods and stuff in here, which makes for interesting listening! Plenty for the memory to handle. Yours that is! Very well done here; a good listen of bew (to me) material.

42 Carlos 88

Debussy was great but not at all straightforward. You made it come together with atmosphere and expression. Lovely work; I`m doin` one of his at the moment; rather easier than yours!.

43 Jazztpt

That Roland is a super sound. The tune I know not, but love that repetitive bit that holds it all together with a reassuring fatherly touch whilst all around is super active . . .A really good workout for your fingers. Certainly not mine!

44wimpiano

You haven`t been at this long but you`re showing excellent progress here. Not lacking in confidence, enthusiasm shows and a very creditable rendition is the result. On the way up!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
45 Torquenale

Those years as a child give your work experience and it shows; they weren`t wasted. Vibrant playing on a clear sounding piano. Great!

46 rerun

I wish I could to a first take of anything. Never happens for me, so good for you! A happy piece which chugs along very well indeed. Well played!

47 Trapper John

Good dour Scottish flavor to this which typifies their reaction when losing at Football. To the Sassenachs . . . You played it purposely and clearly. No bagpipes needed!

48 ZRTF90 Richard

My dad loved Chopinm this one particularly. I enjoyed the expression you gave it, particularly after the half way mark; you really got into it then. Awesome playing!

49 Pathbreaker

Lovely work. very melodic after 2 mins or so. You really know what you`re doing here; a pleasure to listen to.

50 Valencia

Last and not least!Beethoven`s vibrabcey is too much for incar entertainment. You`re turning it up (quiet bits) and down (noisy parts) but that`s his music. This hymn like piece sounded excellent through your piano.

Here endeth my comments, such as they are. You lot are more knowledgable than me (I`ve forgotten loads)so I thank you for your comments in my direction! The work here does get better and better, And why not? Thank you guys. See ya later.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: MaryBee Title of piece: Nocturne in C minor, No. 21 Composer: Chopin
Delightful and thoughtful. The Charles Walter sings! I tried to tackle a Nocturne and had to let it go until I'm technically ready. Congrats on conquering this one. It has some very poignant moments in it. Nice playing!

Performer's name: Mr Super Hunky From: Arizona currently, Originally the water
I could sense some real command from the start. The Mason and Hamlin really helps, doesn't it? I mean, it doesn't play it for you but its strength and presence help to inspire. The tune is a delightful melody of chords with, I think, an underlying optimism. Very nice!

Performer's name: N17 From: Georgia, USA Title of piece: Dance in G
That's a super effort for 5 and a half months! Very steady beat and some nice touch. A little dainty! Good job.

Performer's name: Mar_red From: Poland Title of piece: Love Story Composer: Francis Lai
So you played this "by ear". Are you improvising the chords of the left hand? Your right hand work was terrific. You added a lot of embellishments that seemed just right. Sounds pretty challenging! Fine work!

Performer's name: joangolfing Title of piece: Arietta Composer: Edvard Grieg
I, too, can't let Grieg go. And Arietta is one of those pieces in my pile of To Do's! (I'm honing The Watchman's Song - same opus as Arietta). But Arietta is such a lovely songette. You played it gracefully and with a nice sense of timing. Keep playing that piece! You've found a real gem!

Performer's name: Sand Tiger Title of piece: Pancakes Composer: Sand Tiger
Nice lyrics! Have you tried this on an acoustic? I think there are some depths to the music that the digital doesn't quite bring out. But you played with a lot of emotion and it shows. Super!

Performer's name: (Was)TrueBeginner From: VA, USA Title of piece: Blame
It's a solid work of composition and you played it very well. Nice control of the pace and the melody really comes through. Great job!

Performer's name: ajames From: United States Experience: 10 months Title of piece: Just a Day Away
Hey - I'm learning this song, too! But you've done more with it. You did a very fine job for the time you've put in with the piano. Keep up the good work!

Performer's name: jotur/Cathy Turner From: Santa Fe, NM Title of piece: Second Hand Rose
Memory lane here! It really tells a story! And you tell it masterfully. I love it when the chorus comes back in. Made me want to dance! I can see the seniors really enjoying your playing. Nicely done!

Performer's name: PikaPianist From: Brisbane Title of piece: Sonata in F minor, K466 Composer: Scarlatti
I really enjoyed this piece which I had not heard before. It's played with precision and delicacy. Very engaging and sweet. Wonderful! Thanks!

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 05/21/14 08:37 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
49. Pathbreaker..... Wow. Pretty amazing playing. Seriously.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
The next 15:

21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21 A very beautiful performance, you kept a wonderfully controlled accompaniment with a soaring melody. I loved the dynamics in the piece and the rhythms were spot on. Very nice!

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts Well, it sounds more MSH than REM but that's fine with me! It's a very nice interpretation of the piece, moving her and there with great energy. The recording had clipping issues though.

23. N17 - Dance in G A lovely dance (I used to play this from the same book but never got it to this fine standard.) I think you are a little harsh on yourself, it moves along very nicely, there is some nice phrasing in there and it is very dancelike. Above all, it is musical. Sure you will improve all those things you mention as you progress but if you keep the musicality you'll be just fine!

24. Mar_red - Love Story A nice interpretation, though I preferred the "simpler" parts where the melody is clearer. The playing was great, the runs were nice, though occasionally a bit busy. I did enjoy some of the harmonic progressions in there!

25. joangolfing - Arietta Very nice job with this beautiful short piece; I love that although this was the theme in the very first of his lyric pieces, he used it to close the cycle in the very last one too written a few years before he died. You capture the wistful air of this very well, I think you did a wonderful job with the layering of the piece, keeping the melody present at all times with lovely phrasing.

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes A nice composition - it has the simplicity befitting the title and expression of the lyrics. I would like the melody to be more cantabile since it's supposed to be a song but it's your expression so your choice! Also the accompaniment could vary from block chords a lot. Gosh, this is a critical review is it not? But I think you have a great start and it could get to be something really nice ...

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame A lovely tune, another one coming out of sadness but expressing joy. You really phrased this nicely, with a wonderfully controlled accompaniment. One question: When you play the octaves, each note is slightly off from the other but I'm not sure if that was intentional? If it is, perhaps make the second slightly more delayed?

28. ajames - Just a Day Away Very nice, simple but effective. You did a lovely job controlling this to allow the melody to flow, lovely phrasing and some nice dynamics within a limited range.

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose I loved this, and didn't really feel the hestitations too much even though I'm a singer, not a dancer. The introduction was very nicely done, with a great transition into the dance. Although quite controlled, it swings with a very nice rag feel. It was very infectious!

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466 A lovely Scarlatti sonata; sometimes they are played at breakneck speed but giving them space like this allows the delicate harmony and melody to shine. You did a beautiful job of bringing out the melody, nicely phrased and with wonderful control. Loved it!

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano Duets are probably three times harder than solos. This was great, loved it! Your piano is (appropriately) a secondary accompaniment and I think you do that perfectly; it sounds smooth, polished and unobtrusive but full of passion and real musicality. And your wife sounds awesome - I know from my daughter how tricky it can be to make a clarinet sound good and her tone is lovely.

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro Very nice Fantasia, you really brought out the voicing nicely and there was some good dynamic balance. It's a wonderful piece.

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114 This minuet is much harder than people give it credit for. You do a really nice job with it - particularly with the ornaments which can be a real challenge (I will admit I generally play it without!). You balance the voices nicely and have a good contrast between the sections.

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session The parts where you were playing the main theme were nice, you brought out the melody well. It needs more work on the phrasing of that and then it will start to shine more.

35. Ganddalf - Gratulation This is a wonderful piece, you play beautifully. I'm guessing that Peterson-Berger was influenced by Grieg, at least it has a lot of that feeling to me. You bring such life to it, it really flows well with beautiful phrasing and nice dynamics. Very enjoyable.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Listening to the last of the recital reminds me how far I have yet to go, thanks everyone for listening to my piece and comments of encouragement which are always welcome.

Thanks as always to the behind the scenes crew that make this all possible.

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures A fantastic original, a long time in the making I read but so worth it.

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor Great first submission it really flowed well and was really pleasing to listen to. For eight months this is very good so I think we can safely predict you have a bright future.

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60) Loved the sound of you piano, I want one like that. Terrifically well played and so jolly almost had me in the mood to dance.

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14 Very pleasant piece to listen to, playing completely from ear just amazes me I don’t know how you do it but bravo.

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell Being Scottish there is nothing more I love more than a good old lament. This one is incredibly beautiful on piano and in the vernacular of my old country “could bring a tear to a glass eye”. Trust me that’s high praise indeed.

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1 As someone just taking their first steps into Chopin, I wonder if I will ever be being able to play this one. If I play only half as good as this I will be happy.

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2 You have come so far in nine years what a talent you have I enjoyed these pieces immensely.

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!! Hate to contradict you but I thought you had the “otherworldly” part. That is how it sounded to me, simply magnificent.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Listening to the last of the recital reminds me how far I have yet to go, thanks everyone for listening to my piece and comments of encouragement which are always welcome.

Speaking as someone with lots of miles but not much discipline over the miles and not a lot of raw aptitude, I have to say that I am consistently impressed with the musical pieces that you relative newcomers to the piano bring to the recitals and to the forums. You folks consistently demonstrate so much more musicality and passion than so many young players that I've heard and it's a real pleasure to listen to.

Us long timers with non pro chops are in a weird place. For my part, I really groove on the supportive and sharing vibe in these forums... even if maybe I just qualify for the "adult" part of the forum name. There needs to be a "slow but stubborn adult" forum, but until then, I'm really happy to be a part of this place and honestly a huge fan of everyone here.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am so glad to have participated this time around. The diversity of pieces is wonderful which gives me new avenues to explore.

But an unexpected plus was: I fell in love with 3 new songs that I am going to have to learn! (Arrieta is already in my to do file!)

1) #8 8_Octaves - When Rivers Flowed on Mars
2) #28 ajames - Just a Day Away
3) #38 ginko2 - Andontino (Ivan Sings)

I have already started on Ivan Sings. I really love it when a piece captures you so thoroughly that you love playing it, even hands separate.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 05/22/14 01:37 AM.

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Whizbang

Speaking as someone with lots of miles but not much discipline over the miles and not a lot of raw aptitude, I have to say that I am consistently impressed with the musical pieces that you relative newcomers to the piano bring to the recitals and to the forums. You folks consistently demonstrate so much more musicality and passion than so many young players that I've heard and it's a real pleasure to listen to.

I can't speak for everyone but thanks for that lovely compliment.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro
I am so glad to have participated this time around. The diversity of pieces is wonderful which gives me new avenues to explore.

But an unexpected plus was: I fell in love with 3 new songs that I am going to have to learn!

Totally agree, you can hear so many gems on this site you might otherwise never have heard of.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Last but not least, the European Piano Party 2014 team!
I wanted to listen this pieces together, just because I wanted to have a small sample of the type of sounds we'll hear next 5 July, in Lisbon.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement - Doris, what a beauty! I think you have made impressive progress. Your technique has become very good, and I notice that you're becoming a real pianist! I look forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

10. CarlosCC - Quietness - C'mon, let's play some more joyful stuff, OK?

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2. - Ah, Beethoven. Jeff, this is realy good. I like the confidence you showed with this Sonata. Very good! I look forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta - Cheryl, you've been doing a real good progress! I've been "following" your recent pieces, and I think you're getting more confident in your playing, which is a great, great achievement. I'm not an expert in this kind of music, but I like it very much. Maybe it's just the way you play it? Congratulations, and I'm looking forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

35. Ganddalf - Gratulation - Thanks for bringing Wilhelm Peterson-Berger to this recital - new for me. I'm always looking forward to listen your pieces, because you always do a professional job. You can play any piece in a way that seems easy to do. A remarkable talent. I look forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60) - Alessandra, it's amazing the ambience you've created with this piece. I loved the beat that makes the piece very lively and cheerful. You're playing very good. Congratulations! Looking forward to meet you, and hear you play live in EPP2014!

--------------
Thank you to all the members who worked hard to put this recital online.
And congratulations to all the participants!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission