2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2276653 05/15/14 07:30 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Do any of you there had experience teaching really poor children? I live in brazil, and I started a project with some social workers to teach piano for free on the "favelas". I don't know if you are all familiar with the term favela, I think it's roughly translated to slum.
Well, they have like 0 formal education ( Brazil's public education is virtually nonexistent). And musically... well, they tend to listen to "funk carioca". I don't recommend you listening to this genre unless you understand the social context, it's explicit sex lyrics. It's like hip hop, without the good part. Well, most of it it's like this.
Anyways!
Do you guys have any tips on how approaching them musically? I think I'll ask them. Like, why are they interested in learning the instrument, and what music do they expect to play in my class...

Additional info: It'll be a keyboard, a fairly decent one. There's no especific age group. I was given the option to choose only boys or girls, but I think it's not fair to one another, so I'll accept everyone.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Work with small groups at a time, maybe 3-4 kids, nothing too big, but large enough so if a student doesn't show you will can have "class".

I would teach them how to do hip-hop, but do it WELL, with good lyrics. Have a zero tolerance policy on sex and violence lyrics. In addition to this, do some listening to other styles. Bring in other things each time, and from all different genres. Then maybe you explore how to play music from that genre in a simple manner. Like you can easily teach them the 12-bar blues.

Be less focused on note-reading and theory, or you'll lose them. If they've not had formal education than they are less likely to be patient with having to learn things. Throw them in there in such a way that they don't know they're learning. Lots and lots of improvisation in a group (not just one person at a time).

When it comes to classical music day, be sure to sit down and play a piece yourself and have them look at the music score while you play. I think hearing it live will make it much more easy for them to relate. Pick something that's not too long (or truncate it) and choose something that is a great crowd-pleaser, not something for people who are used to hearing solo classical piano want to hear. Fur Elise would be great, Rondo alla Turca - you know, the favorites that perhaps you are tired of, but these kids will probably be hearing this great music for the first time. And what a privilege for them to hear it live!

Also, mix in other instruments. Get some kids on percussion, singing/rapping, synth, etc.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
OP Offline
F
First of all thank you very much!! I wrote this all down, as I'll do with anyone who feels that can contribute!
One question though, I was given the option to have individual classes. Do you think this'll be too boring for them? Just wanted to know if 3-4 is really your ideal group. I never gave group classes before. I think I'll group them by age then...

M
M
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
First of all thank you very much!! I wrote this all down, as I'll do with anyone who feels that can contribute!
One question though, I was given the option to have individual classes. Do you think this'll be too boring for them? Just wanted to know if 3-4 is really your ideal group. I never gave group classes before. I think I'll group them by age then...

I think perhaps both will be good, if perhaps you can schedule that somehow. I'm sure these kids would love one-on-one attention with an adult too. I was mainly thinking group because of the music they are most likely interested in, but individual lessons like this can help with once in a while getting together for a "jam session".

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I have attempted some lower income music education. It was not in the ghetto, and the children did have some public school education. So, not the same situation as what you are attempting.

However, my experiences do agree with Morodiene that a very modified approach is required.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
musicpassion #2276750 05/15/14 10:44 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
You might look for more information about El Systema in Venezuela. I read a biography of Gustavo Dudamel and he is a product of that program - anyway, it takes children with no formal music training and helps them become proficient - well it's more than that, but maybe they have some curriculum that might help you.

F
OP Offline
F
I have contacted some teachers in my city's conservatoire, and they loved the idea of the project. Next week I'm meeting up with them, and we'll begin straight away. So it looks I'm not alone anymore laugh

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Bonjour, Francisco, bomdia. I second MaggieGirl's suggestion to have a look at El Sistema, I would suppose that you have heard something of it.

As for the musical approach, I'd say go with classical music and music literacy, especially if that's what "your thing" is. No doubt it'll take some originality and generosity on your part but it will be to your benefit as a musician, it will take you to the heart of things. Going into the favela and saying "what I dedicate my life to, you aren't capable of understanding" ... well, no point in going into the favela! In my view, of course.

I wish you courage and generosity ... and good luck!

landorrano #2276944 05/16/14 10:35 AM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
One thing you might run into is a different approach to practice.

I heard an interview with a popular virtuoso performer (guitar, I think) from somewhere in South America; I no longer remember the country so it may not apply.

But he said that traditionally in their country instrument practice is done very differently from in the US. They do not slow a piece down, get all the notes right, and then build it to tempo. Instead, they start fast, get a few of the notes right, and add more and more right notes as they learn it. It's a totally different mindset.

gotta go practice
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Hello Francisco,

I presume that these children all have keyboards to practice on daily, right?

If I understand your post correctly, the issue is not limited income level, per se, but limited cultural influence - these children have only one musical influence: funk carioca. It might be to your advantage to write out (computer programmed) music specific to their musical genre since there may be little or no published music for it. That would probably consist of repetitious rhythms and chords. That may make it real to those kids. But that genre is a very limited bag of tricks and they are used up quickly. Where you go from there is another matter.

That is where culture and individuality weigh in. If a child responds well to new influences then perhaps you can guide them through various Latin rhythmic formulas that are core to Brazilian culture, such as Bossa Nova, Samba, and Lambada using rhythms like cumbia and merengue. Getting the kids to work in ensembles would be great at making it more sociable and real to their culture.

I state that all in the spirit of making it playful and keeping their interest as far as it goes, rather than the mind-set of classical music careerism.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission