2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Wimpiano, thanks for listening, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Noobpianist90, thanks for your kind words! The Piano is a fantastic movie that is hard to watch because there are some unpleasant scenes.... one person posted on ABF that she was traumatized by it. I wouldn't go that far, but it is intense. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and I think I want to watch it again now that I have two pieces from it in my repertoire. The music is wonderful though. If you watch it, please make a thread and share your thoughts!

TheodorN, thanks for listening. This piece was much harder than I anticipated, the melody is sort of like a lightning bug that you stare out into the dark for and when it flashes your pleasantly surprised :p

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair
Wonderful arrangement, very well played. I am especially impressed by how smoothly you handed off those ascending lines from left hand to right hand, it all sounded seamless and effortless. Good work!

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue
Second fugue of the day, and another winner! I am so impressed that you are able to keep two diverging lines going simultaneously for so long. Great work!

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose
Well played, expressive but very even and steady.

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56
Delightful! I am a bit of a Bartok freak myself. I especially liked the third piece, very Bartokish. Well done, the exotic feel of this music comes across very well indeed.

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses)
Sounds like a formidable undertaking to me, not simple in any way. But quite beautiful. It paints a picture, sets a mood, suggests something unsayable. Well done!

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures
What a beautiful beginning. And ending. And middle! Here and there, you remind me of Claude Bolling. (That is the ultimate compliment!) Wonderful dynamics, sounds really great, Russ.

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell
Just hearing a few notes of this tune brings a certain sadness, doesn't it? It has come to mean a lot to us. Dan Coates is indeed a great arranger, if anyone can get a lot out of a few notes, he can. Well done, John, well done.

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1
I always look forward to the Chopin pieces in these recitals, and I am never disappointed. Very well done, I really enjoyed listening.

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2
What a treat! That is a beautiful piece, played with wonderful expressiveness and tone. Well done!

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!!
Well now I am hooked, I will have to find the rest of the movement somewhere and listen to it tonight! That was very well played, very steady, very expressive. Well done!

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
The music is wonderful though. If you watch it, please make a thread and share your thoughts!
If the music is good, that's reason enough to watch it. I'll get around to it in a month or so. I'll be busy the next few weeks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
thanks guys you all, you are really helping keeping the morale high :-)
I'm still working on that fugue, I hope I'll have a spotless first performance in another week or so... so far is promising and I'll "reveal" the secret on going from some sloppiness to accuracy in short term.
Shirokuro, the ortf technique is described here, and I like it more than the regular XY
http://www.tufts.edu/programs/mma/mrap/StereoMicTechniques.pdf

N
N17 Offline
N
Better late than never...

I've listened to all the entries, many multiple times, and wow! Could've fooled me that this was a beginner's forum! It was great gaining so much exposure to pieces, composers, and genres I had never listened to before. It's awesome to see the talent of everyone who started/restarted as an adult.

Many, many, many, and many more thanks to the kind and encouraging words about my piece from everyone. Ataru074, Sam, SwissMS, Casinitaly, Cathy, peterws, Rerun, jazzwee, 8octaves, earlofmar, noobpianist, shirokuro, TheodorN, CarlosCC and anyone I may have missed. Your comments are much appreciated.

The pieces are beyond my level, so my feedback will extremely limited other than reiterating how enjoyable everyone's work was. Just a few notes I jotted down while listening and catching a few things I recognized.

1. Dynamo- Nearly twelve minutes!! What a marathon. I can only dream of the days when I play a piece longer than about 1:30

7. AZ Astro and 46. ReRun- Very cool pieces. I'd like to try the blues and boogie woogie in the future. Sorry to lump you guys together, I know the pieces are much different but both great!

15. peterws- Awesome pieces with so much feeling. Gymnopedie 1 was one of the first I heard after I started learning to play and fell in love with it. These are fantastic as well. I'm glad you kept the discipline to slow down. When I've heard them faster they kind of lose the impact.

33. noobpianist90- A short version of this piece was one of the first I learned. But you took this to another level as mine did not have the ornamentation of the Petzold version. Very nicely done. And thank you for the comments on my piece. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to send you a picture of the sheet music I went off for the Haydn Dance. It is a fun little piece to play. The dynamics were actually a point of debate for my teacher. While learning the piece she said she was used to different editing in previous versions she had seen with regards to staccato/legato throughout the piece. To summarize, she felt I played as marked on the sheet, and, though different than she was used to, it maintained the "dance" feeling of the piece.

COYS
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by N17
If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to send you a picture of the sheet music I went off for the Haydn Dance. It is a fun little piece to play.
If it's not too much trouble, that would be great. It does indeed sound like a fun piece to play. Thanks a lot! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
re ShiroKuro: " I'm not familiar with this piece but it sounds like you have it solidly in your fingers. I'm curious about the tempo, the score you linked has it at MM=144 (quarter note) but it also says "slowly" -- I don't think of anything above 120 as "slowly" but maybe that's just me!"
Thanks for the accurate and detailed feedback.- Alot stated I played this in a "singing lyrical mode", when I practiced this, I thought it impossible to play it as the score indicated; and sound like the song track played on the radio.
So, it's a very loose interpretation of tempo. Maybe, no strict tempo ---lol; done in "lyrical piano" if there is that term . (I'm not sure) I just did it this way .......---I played this "as if" I were singing the song .---(with all the mistakes) smile
Is there actually "lyrical piano" that has no strict tempo as the main element of it?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
The Piano is a fantastic movie that is hard to watch because there are some unpleasant scenes....

Yes, it's a great movie. Sometimes it's really hard but still great.
I saw it when it was on at cinema (I don't even remember how many years ago) and then later on TV.
I also have the CD with the soundtrack, great foe everybody who doesn't like the movie but loves the music smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I have been busy the last few days and have listened to just a few pieces so far. As always I'm going to make comments to all participants who want feedback, but this will take a few days. Thanks to all of you who have given comments to my contribution.

Whizbang, you seem to have considerable insight in what goes on between Scandinavians. You are perfectly right, Norwegians use every opportunity to make fun of the Swedes. However I'm growing old, and with the years I have become more tolerant to people from other cultures, EVEN TO SWEDES. grin

ShiroKuro, The Swedish word "Gratulation" means "congratulation". As for the Yamaha N1 I have chosen this to get an instrument with grand piano action on limited space and for a limited budget. I would have preferred an acoustic, but the N1 has the same keyboard mechanics as the Yamaha grands, and is so technically advanced that it handles resonance from loose strings, half pedal and other things you don't usually find in digitals. Occasionally I make performances on real grand pianos, and I never experience problems going from the N1 to an acoustic grand.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Ganddalf

Whizbang, you seem to have considerable insight in what goes on between Scandinavians. You are perfectly right, Norwegians use every opportunity to make fun of the Swedes. However I'm growing old, and with the years I have become more tolerant to people from other cultures, EVEN TO SWEDES. grin

We certainly have something in common, there's nothing more ingrained in our culture as making fun of Swedes smile

The Norwegians on the other hand we consider very nice people, who just speak a bit funny and whose country is really expensive grin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
I like the digi art smile
Cathy

+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Just getting started listening,great recital as ususal ,gets better every time.

01. dynamobt/Marilyn - Symphony No. 40 1st mvt
That must be fun,never heard a Mozart symphony played on piano. Well done.

02. Whizbang (Chris) - Milonga del Angel
Great piece (those chords) and great playing. the hard work was well worth it I would say.

03. ShiroKuro - Big My Secret
Be proud of your recording it's great, well done.

04. Anne H - Discovery At Night
Very well played, you have a very nice touch.

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und
Menschen" and "Träumerei".
Beautiful wouter79 , very even playing with nice dynamics.

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv
Among other things I really liked the start, you create some lovely melodic lines which outline the harmony perfectly, one of your best. This had me rushing to the piano to play.

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues
Very nice control and a beautiful touch , well done.

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars
Enjoyable listen and confidently played, I suspect you are way above level 5.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement
As usual controled and confident playing, excellent performance.

10. CarlosCC - Quietness
Carlos - a beautiful composition and performance.This is so heartfelt it brought a tear to my eye, simply stunning.

Jazztpt

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Many thanks to everyone that has commented on my submission, it's much appreciated.

Jazzwee - There is a change in the tempo as part of the piece but I did snatch at it later on and sped up unintentionaly, ironically on the fast bits eek One of the things I need to work on and It wasn't quiet there when I recorded.

Riddler - Thanks for your nice comments, Claude Bolling , know the name but I am not familiar, I will have to check him out.

Jazztpt

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Again, sorry for not commenting more but I'm on the road almost every day for two weeks and no access to a computer.

7. astro Very moody and your playing really fits. A great pace. I can see (hear) why you fell in love with it.

8. 8 Octaves- I love everything about this from your playing down to the title. I had to listen a few times. Very well done!!

9. SwissMs- Wonderful. The piece had a real Mozart feel to me. Just delightful playing and your piano looks and sounds fantastic.

10 Carlos- Carlos, thanks for sharing all of this. I don't know what else to say. I'm a sucker for when someone plays from the heart and your piece was very, very moving. ( I can really hear a cello coming in with this. I think it would be a great duet.)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
03. ShiroKuro - Big My Secret - I like Nyman, and I like this kind of contemplative or abstract work. I can't hear anything that needs big improvements, so I think you did a really nice job. Thanks for sharing!

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose - Copper, this is a very interesting and dreamy piece. A really like the sound and the tone of your Yamaha, and you kept the perfect balance and time of the melody. Congratulations.

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14 - Rerun, thanks for bringing this piece to us because I really like this type of music - blues? -. Not knowing the original version, I found this piece quite funny and well played. Congratulations!

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 - earlofmar, as you know, this is not my "type" of music, but I can understand the work and dedication you had to play this piece. I don't know why but I like more this Minuet that others I've been listening over here. Good job!

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell - Trapper, I like pieces of music behind movies or documentaries. They give a special "sense" to the message being transmitted and you did a wonderful job playing this theme. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks to everyone that has commented on my piece. I love reading your comments. Thank you.

I don't have much time to do "comments on comments", but I have to reply to this one:

Originally Posted by Peyton

10 Carlos- Carlos, thanks for sharing all of this. I don't know what else to say. I'm a sucker for when someone plays from the heart and your piece was very, very moving. ( I can really hear a cello coming in with this. I think it would be a great duet.)

Copper, thanks for your words. Actually, I was thinking exactly the same about the duet. I'm going to do a duet with my celo partner soon, and I will challenge him to play this piece with me. I think it's worth.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
14. George Schiro - Ambivalence - George, it's always interesting to listen original pieces because the sources and influences are always present in the final work. On the other hand, I think that the composer's mood is the base of the composition. That being said, you didn't write too much about this piece so I was trying to guess what inspired you to do this "intense" composition. Sincerely, I don't know... It reminded me a type of "healthy anger" and "hurry"... Anyway, you showed an amazing control of the keyboard and overall playing skills, as usual. I like it very much. Thanks for sharing!

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114 - Very nice, I never get tired of hearing this no matter how many times I've heard it before. Very lyrical, nicely paced. Good job!

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Traumlumerei". - Thanks for sharing.

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv - Wow, this was unplanned? You never disappointed me. Another example of a perfect control of the keyboard and great skills. Very nice to hear. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazztpt
08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars
Enjoyable listen and confidently played, I suspect you are way above level 5.

Ha, I wish! My playing for each piece of music I am allowed to away generally should score about 85 on an RCM practical exam (unfortunately, I have to deduct 5 sometimes 10 points due to exam stress and nerves), so bottom line, I could perform this piece under stress and likely score at least 75 - pass. That's basically what I shoot for in all my pieces. I'm wrapping up Level 5 soon. It's been a very rewarding year.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Thanks to everyone that has commented on my piece. I love reading your comments. Thank you.

I don't have much time to do "comments on comments", but I have to reply to this one:

Originally Posted by Peyton

Copper, thanks for your words. Actually, I was thinking exactly the same about the duet. I'm going to do a duet with my celo partner soon, and I will challenge him to play this piece with me. I think it's worth.

If you do I hope you can record it.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21
Fantastic playing and recording! Love it! I like the sound of your piano.

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts
Is this officially a coverup? I'm so glad it doesn't sound depressing (the R.E.M song does) smile Very nice playing! Love the dark bass of your piano.
Your lunch sounds good as well.

23. N17 - Dance in G
Sounds fun to play!! Very well played.
I agree that taking part in a recital is a humbling experience, I had the same thing with my piece, thought I played it pretty well but when I recorded that feeling dissapeared quickly (making place for motivation).

24. Mar_red - Love Story
It is a joy to listen too. Wouldn't worry to much about the changing key. Major composers did it all the time..

25. joangolfing - Arietta
That's a great job with the voices. They're well distinguished but it is still one song. (don't know whether that's good English but I hope you get the point).

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes
That really is a nice song and I hope you sing along when no one is listening wink Touching when I realized that the inspiration came from your father.

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame
You're going to re-nick to NoLongerBeginner right? Sounds well accomplished! Not only as a player but certainly also as a composer. It might be a piece with a darker mood but certainly not without hope! I wish you and your father all the best.

28. ajames - Just a Day Away
Come on, gotta love the dolls! smile Beautiful playing!

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose
This really puts a big smile on my face smile A very happy piece! Sounds so nostalgic!
edit: just read that SwissMS was already smiling before but I don't mind, my smile only gets bigger wink

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466
Your touch is amazing! Very beautiful piece! Does indeed sound more like romantic, perhaps due to the tempo and pedaling.

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano (to do)
A duet, how surprising! Brings back memories of listening to the Mozart Concert for Clarinet in the car with my dad when I was very young. You both play very nice! Must be a lot of fun playing together. I just started playing pieces for four hands together with my wife and we're having a blast.

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro (to do)
Ah Telemann! Nice!! His music makes me kind of "swing along". I tried the singing you suggested, ok let's call it humming wink , but it really works! I like your playing actually better then a recording I have of this piece on a Harpsichord. Just beautiful!

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114
This is in my head now and it won't get out... So catchy! Well done! (Thought it was Bach but that seems outdated info wink )

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session
That's quite a piece to play in one go! Very well done!

35. Ganddal - Gratulation
Very Nice! I will look up some more of his music. Such a shame that some composers are neglected.

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie
Sounds really fun with the two voices!

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair
Compliments from my wife, she loves it (and so do I). Very nice piece and played very beautifully. And what a perfect sounding piano you have!

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino)
You can really hear Ivan Sing, and he sings well! smile

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue
Bach really was a genius! Incredibly good, just one take, the idea is mind-boggling.

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose
Simply fantastic. I like your tempo!

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56
Listened too it with my teacher yesterday, (we were talking about Bartok) and he really liked it. I like the different styles of each dance and your playing is really good.

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses) (to do)
You played it very expressive, very nice! Seems very hard to play (haven't looked at any score).

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures
Amazing composistion and very well played, beautiful!

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor
blush thanks everyone for your nice words, so motivating.

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60)
Such a happy piece!! Makes me smile and wanna dance! Really good!

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14
You must be very musical if you can play this by ear! Very nice!

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell
Composed in my year of birth so it must be good wink Nice!

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1 (to do)
Incredibly beautiful. Chopins waltzes are my favourite! And you play it so GOOD!!!

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2
Don't quit again! You play very well and this is a wonderful piece! Thanks!

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!!
So nice and calm!

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission