2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, Chrispy, 36251, anotherscott, c++, andredatele, 19 invisible), 457 guests, and 503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What is the correct pronunciation of Henle (the publisher)?
FSO #2275806 05/14/14 12:16 AM
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
FSO #2275807 05/14/14 12:23 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSO

I guess you're posting this here because of the terribly correct way she says Rameau's name. grin Anyway, Elaine Comparone happens to be one of my favorite performers. smile

And BTW, as far as I know, she doesn't pronounce her own name as "Cawm-pah-RRRONNN-ay," but "Cahm-p'-RO-ny."

Stubbie #2275811 05/14/14 12:39 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
yes...well...Elaine is kind of off-putting with those speech patterns and accentuations of 'foreign words.' That is accidental affectation brought on by excitement.

TwoSnowflakes #2275840 05/14/14 04:45 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
And if I want the orange book, not the blue book, I can avoid saying Hayn-leh altogether and just ask for the Veeeeeeeener edition, yes? smile

Yes it is entirely polite to do so smile ....even though the many English native speakers over here, at least the silly ones among them, would smirk, and move on to tell you e.g. about local town names which are funny to English speakers for similar reasons. Well, I will resist the temptation to move this family-friendly thread further along that direction. smile

wr #2275883 05/14/14 08:09 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Old Man
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by currawong
....I don't really see why pronouncing a word/name as it would be pronounced in its country of origin should be seen as affected.

Forget the "why" or the "should be"; just think of the "would be." smile

Do you see why saying "ParEE" for Paris would be seen as an affectation? (Except when being wry or some such.)

Do you see why saying Rudolf "Zayrkin" would be seen as an affectation?

Maybe you see the "why" of those more than the why of "HAYN-leh."
But even if you don't (as I don't -- I see them equally), I imagine you see the "would be." smile

But heck, don't take it from me -- maybe just try coming here and saying "HAYN-leh," and check out the likely reactions. grin

Mark is right. Here in the states, any attempt to pronounce foreign-sounding names "correctly" is an invitation to ridicule.

I remember stopping in Dubois, Pennsylvania one time, and when I referred to it as DU-BWAH, a couple of the locals broke out laughing and said it's DU-BOYS.

And I also remember my parents always referring to Volkswagens as FOLKS-VAHGENS. Well, it's true that Vs should be pronounced like Fs, and Ws like Vs, but when I started using my parents' pronunciation, my friends called me stupid because I couldn't pronounce the name of a car correctly. I dropped that one in a hurry, and it's been VOLKS-WAGON ever since! grin

It's definitely Doo-BOYS in Pennsylvania! But it's du-BWA anywhere else. Especially if I need to refer to something as being from the forest, heh.

It's also du-BWA when referring to the composer, Pierre Max Dubois, and I don't think it would be considered affected in most places to pronounce it that way. That may be true even if one is in Pennsylvania.

Yes, and Blanche is always du-BWA even on stage in du-Boys.

Learner
pianovirus #2275907 05/14/14 09:41 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianovirus
And if I want the orange book, not the blue book, I can avoid saying Hayn-leh altogether and just ask for the Veeeeeeeener edition, yes? smile

Yes it is entirely polite to do so smile ....even though the many English native speakers over here, at least the silly ones among them, would smirk, and move on to tell you e.g. about local town names which are funny to English speakers for similar reasons. Well, I will resist the temptation to move this family-friendly thread further along that direction. smile

Let's just say the highway exit signs provoked giggles from my husband and I each and every time we passed one, imagining all offramps had an uncomfortable-looking Austrian with a digestive issue at the end of it. I thought the humor would wear off, and it did not. It appears we are extremely juvenile. During one trip on a highway, I texted a friend of mine living in Switzerland whether or not she stopped finding things like that funny, and she confessed that she still finds them just as funny even with German language fluency. Then she wished me a good ride. smile

Now I'm thinking of exit signs and good rides. Hee hee.

Last edited by TwoSnowflakes; 05/14/14 09:55 AM.
Mark_C #2275928 05/14/14 11:07 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
... a midwestern U.S.'er...

Where we play the pie-ann-uh.

Gary
Plowboy #2275957 05/14/14 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Plowboy
... a midwestern U.S.'er...

Where we play the pie-ann-uh.

grin

BTW I spent a few years in Milwaukee without ever becoming able to say the city's name "correctly." ha Among many in Wisconsin, the "aw" sound doesn't exist; it becomes "ah." Thus, "Milwaukee" is Mil-WAH-kee. There's a local street, Teutonia, which among locals is never pronounced any other way than Ty-tonia, which I suppose is their version of the authentic German Toy-tonia. And I guess it's likewise among some in Missouri, since the Anheuser in Anheuser-Busch (the Budweiser company) is An-high-zer.

P.S. We haven't yet gotten to "PIANIST." grin
The common pronunciation with the accent on the first syllable has never made much sense to me, or maybe it's just that it makes me blush. ha ha
That pronunciation does sort of sound like an affectation to me, except that it's so common that it can't really be.

I've never come close to even considering saying it that way, and I even sometimes fail to understand it when someone says it like that. But I do always say "pianism" with the accent on the 1st syllable. Please don't ask me to explain. smile

TwoSnowflakes #2275961 05/14/14 12:57 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Let's just say the highway exit signs provoked giggles from my husband and I each and every time we passed one, imagining all offramps had an uncomfortable-looking Austrian with a digestive issue at the end of it. I thought the humor would wear off, and it did not. It appears we are extremely juvenile. During one trip on a highway, I texted a friend of mine living in Switzerland whether or not she stopped finding things like that funny, and she confessed that she still finds them just as funny even with German language fluency. Then she wished me a good ride. smile

Now I'm thinking of exit signs and good rides. Hee hee.

Last fall, I watched a football game where one player was named "Awini." I giggled every time the announcer said his name, and laughed out loud at some of the play descriptions in combination with the name. (I will leave it to your imagination!)

Learner
malkin #2275967 05/14/14 01:16 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Last fall, I watched a football game where one player was named "Awini." I giggled every time the announcer said his name, and laughed out loud at some of the play descriptions in combination with the name. (I will leave it to your imagination!)

Ah, football... we play it differently in Europe! smile

[Linked Image]

pianovirus #2276020 05/14/14 03:30 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

Ah, football... we play it differently in Europe! smile

That too!
I'd probably have laughed every time no matter what the sport. (Unless it were the middle of a long flat cycling stage or a cricket match and which happened to put me to sleep.)

Learner
Stubbie #2276023 05/14/14 03:37 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have always pronounced it "hen" like the female chicken, and "Lee" like the name. At least, that's my Americanized version of it.

[hInli] in IPA grin

Orange Soda King #2276027 05/14/14 03:46 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I have always pronounced it "hen" like the female chicken, and "Lee" like the name.

What a funny thread, rather like straining at gnats. When I was at uni in the UK, that is how my teacher pronounced it. (Always used Henle for Bach!) Here in the States I don't detect any difference in pronunciation, but there again, it hasn't been much of a priority.

Jason
Mark_C #2276068 05/14/14 05:59 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The common pronunciation with the accent on the first syllable has never made much sense to me, or maybe it's just that it makes me blush. ha ha
That pronunciation does sort of sound like an affectation to me, except that it's so common that it can't really be.
It might actually be an affectation in the US, but everyone says it like that here, and even after teaching music in a high school full of adolescent boys I don't remember any snickers. smile (well not for that, anyway...)

Du holde Kunst...
currawong #2276076 05/14/14 06:18 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
It might actually be an affectation in the US, but everyone says it like that here.

What other way is there to say it?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Stubbie #2276081 05/14/14 06:29 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
2 syllables vs. 3 syllables and pee vs. pia.

1) pi-uh-nist
2) pi-a-nist (a as in apple)
3) pia-nist (a as in apple)
4) piuh-nist

Polyphonist #2276082 05/14/14 06:29 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
It might actually be an affectation in the US, but everyone says it like that here.

What other way is there to say it?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not (the brevity of your posts sometimes does not supply sufficient context), but the basic distinction would be "pyan-ist" vs. "pee-a-nist".

-J

Stubbie #2276087 05/14/14 06:32 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
"PEE-a-nist" is just wrong. Besides, it sounds very strange. There are two syllables. Thus: "PYAN-ist."

Regards,

Polyphonist
Stubbie #2276091 05/14/14 06:37 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
PYAN-ist, PEE-an-ist and pee-AN-ist are all correct.

Stubbie #2276094 05/14/14 06:41 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
It's good that you edited your post, because I've never heard it pronounced the second way. The third way I've heard a few times from radio/television announcers who didn't know what they were talking about, but otherwise no.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,170
Posts3,029,003
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission