2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (AJB, BMKE, antune, babooshka, anotherscott, 0day, 14 invisible), 986 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
suniil Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Daughter has given her first recital at St. Olave's on 8th May. I've included the time stamp to each piece in the description in youtube. Please watch, comment and criticise if you get a chance.

She still has no account here, but will read posts, understand and correct any mistakes moving forward.

Thank you all for your time

A
A
What an incredible performance! Thank you for sharing.

Not on the rug, man...

My musical thingys: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=189614

Korg Kronos X88
T
T
You have a very gifted daughter, congratulations smile

Listening to her Beethoven right now.... The second movement sounds a bit rude sometimes, I'm not sure about certain "outbursts".... And in the third movement she should think more about the fact that it is very often in the p and pp area, these passages must "whisper" in a very transparent and "uneartly" way, just interrupted by a few violent accents. But the main thing is that she loves what she does, and when she learns to utter her emotions in a more controlled way, her performances will be even more convincing....

I'll soon be back for more comments....

S
suniil Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you Arizona Sage & Tony007.

Sounds positive! I hope she and her playing will mature as the times moves on. She is a very late starter comparing to her peers and only been learning for less than 5 years. Please do comment / criticise more, if you get a chance.

Originally Posted by Tony007
and when she learns to utter her emotions in a more controlled way, her performances will be even more convincing....

I'll soon be back for more comments....

T
T
Hi suniil,

today I've been listening to your daughter's performance of Rachmaninov and Chopin (op. 10/12). First of all: having got that far after only 5 years of playing is more than remarkable! About Rachmaninov: the middle section is lovely, she has a beautiful and touching sound and cares a lot about voicing. In the main part there is a certain lack of grandezza. It's not necessary to hurry, the music should sound proud and alla marcia. About Chopin: At the beginning the right hand is a bit "driven" by an "impatient" left hand, but at the end there is a great atmosphere where the music retires more and more to a "murmuring" piano before the final "explosion" -- I loved and admired how she did that passage!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting this. The program is very well put together. I listened to all of the Liszt etude and the two Chopin Etudes, and at least some out of each of the other works. I heard some special things that stood out in the Liszt Un Sospiro and feel that is definitely a work to keep in her active repertoire along with the Chopin Op. 10 No. 12. Her playing suits those two etudes very well - the Liszt Concert Etude No. 3 ("Un Sospiro") and the Chopin Op. 10 No. 12 - and maybe there is some reason for this connected with the mutual arpeggio emphasis.

There is something to work on with long, connected expanses of melodic line when motion involving the other voices is much less than in those etudes - for instance in the first movement of the Beethoven sonata and also the Arvo Part Fur Alina. This is something a teacher would have to explore in person. Has your daughter worked on any of the Scriabin Op. 11 preludes?

I think maybe close to one year ago a recording of your daughter was posted with the Chopin etude on the black keys. I can still remember the recording. Your daughter both appears and sounds much more at ease here in this church setting. Maybe she was nervous during the recording of the black key etude which might have explained some of the moving around during the piece.

I very much enjoyed listening. Your daughter is superbly talented and I am looking forward to the next video of her playing.

S
suniil Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you Michael & Tony for the kind words and encouraging comment. I've passed this on to daughter and teacher as well. We are so glad to have a teacher who is so open minded and welcome comments / criticism in positive way. Teacher even read Tony's comments even before I got a chance to mention!!

She says, only nerves kick in when teacher is present or while in recording a clip for teacher.

Not learnt any Scriabin, but currently learning Chopin Ballade No. 1, Prokofiev Toccata some more Etudes from Opus 10.

Below a short clip from St. Martin in the Fields.

Last edited by suniil; 07/20/14 03:38 AM.

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is a CPT necessary?
by Petoskeyguy - 08/13/22 11:07 AM
Yamaha clp 785 horrible chorus effect
by Chrisgilx - 08/13/22 10:51 AM
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,375
Posts3,215,974
Members106,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission