2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
MarkS: Thanks for the encouraging words. The tuner is coming tomorrow to address a persistent sticking (not returning) una corda problem. I'll ask him about voicing the bass area in question.

Ray

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Pianoray:
The same lower range sounds "richer" and far more inspiring to play on the Young Chang. The action is not quite as nice as the Petrof's but overall I honestly think I would have been happier with the YC. Now to be fair about it, the YC is a 7' (model ??)
PG213 probably.

Please be mindful that the acoustic environments (your house, and the dealer) are most likely different.

What a difference a room makes!! thumb

A great tech can bring out the best in your instrument by doing numerous things including:

Voicing/tuning
Action regulation
Seating the strings
Adjusting the glides

These tasks can make a word of difference on your instrument, provided any or all of these things need to be done.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
" A great tech can bring out the best in your instrument including................................."

...........glueing back "11 broken hammers from factory"....

norbert laugh

S
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by Pianoray:
Hi All,

This is not exactly on topic but since the topic has roamed slightly and since "The Who" refered to Young Chang being sold competitively against Petrof and Estonia, I decided to comment. I recently purchased a new Petrof model IV (5'8") And though It has a beautiful treble range, I am not as satisfied with its range starting at "C" below middle "C" and extending down. I have been back to the dealer several times to buy music and accessories and never miss the opportunity to try other pianos on the floor. I have been particularly impressed with a Young Chang and even prefer it somewhat over my Petrof. The same lower range sounds "richer" and far more inspiring to play on the Young Chang. The action is not quite as nice as the Petrof's but overall I honestly think I would have been happier with the YC. Now to be fair about it, the YC is a 7' (model ??) However, when I compare the prices on the two, the Petrof has a tag of 26K and the YC 16K! (I paid 16.5K for the Petrof. I assume the YC would go for somewhere around 12K). I guess what I'm trying to say is that the YC would yield far more joy per dollar. If your wondering why I bought the Petrof - It was a compromise based upon my wifes desire for an acceptable appearance (Demi Chipendale) and my desire for a nice sounding instrument.
One of the major effects of the design changes in the Pramberger Series is an increase in low- and mid-range harmonics. This is dominantly due to the increase in the mass of the soundboard of about 33%.

You just may like these harmonics better than the Petrof. Some do, others don't.

BTW, Norbert. It looks like, when asked to back up his statements The Who split! I have a feeling he/she will be back again under another name.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The "boo-hoo I am leaving" post was far from sincere.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
so YC is increasing their prices eh? Good for them.

BC

Estonia 168
Working on Dohnanyi Rhapsody 3
Chopin Ballade 4
S
SW Offline
S
I'm new to posting on this site so please forgive the length of my message. I currently own a Pramberger JP175 in Ebony Polish and Pommele finish. It is one of the newest models with Renner action. The piano is 5 months old and hasn't had any significant problems. I have now had 4 Young Chang grand pianos that were purchased through Dallas Piano Warehouse. Its been nothing but a wonderful experience to own this brand.

I would sincerely doubt that someone would have a significant amount of hammers falling off without it being reported back to Phil. Even if its the case, I would think the dealer would report this to A N D so they could alert Korea of the problem. As an owner of a manufacturing concern, I would certainly like to know of similar type issues.

I am also a friend of Phil Glenn's. Anyone who knows him is familiar with the fact that he would jump through hoops to rectify any problems that might occur with a YC piano. I know that my local dealer, who's fantastic at fixing any little problem without hesitation, would certainly tell Phil and would file a warrantee claim.

I would only add that the YC Pramberger series, both PG and JP, are wonderful pianos, and perform fantastic when properly prepped. I understand the limitations that a mass produced piano has in regards to factory prep and accept that I will need to get the dealer to do the job properly or a local tech. When done correctly the piano is a stellar performer in its class.

On another note, known only to Phil and Richard, stop using the name The Who.

Sorry for the longwinded post.

P
P
I should listen to my instincts and say out of this one, but in case anyone ever does need help with an YC instrument, I'm always here.
Thanks for the kind words SW.

Phil B. Glenn
National Service Manager
Young Chang Pianos
AND Music Corp
POBox 99995
Lakewood, WA 98499
(800)874-2880 X110
phil_glenn@yca.tzo.com

Nah, Mr. Glenn, you know we don't bite...much. laugh

In all seriousness, one of the few things that has never been questioned on the board, is YC's service. It's among the best, acccording to most.

Now those durn Prambergers, on the other hand... wink

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Yeah, durn Prambergers, all right!!

After all,they don't seem to require the employ of Mr.Glenn as "national service manager" that much anyways.

Job security in danger?? mad

norbert wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
PG213 probably.
For what it's worth, I have a PG213--and I couldn't be happier. For the money it's a truly fantastic piano.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission