2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
George, for what it's worth: They owe you a new piano. And it's insulting that they want to send you an *upright* as a loaner for a *grand*. I think CTPianotech had it right: Your defective piano *is* the loaner until they get you the replacement.

I'm watching how Bohemia resolves this. Because it will affect whether or not I could recommend Bohemia to others in the future.

Chris

K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
So if George gets a new piano who pays?
The dealer, the manufacturer, the distributor, the importer, insurance, some other party or some combination of the above?

Or do they all negotiate and duke it out. :t:

I'm sure a few of you dealers here must know.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So if George gets a new piano who pays?
The dealer, the manufacturer, the distributor, the importer, insurance, some other party or some combination of the above?
I'm not a dealer but I would bet the manufacture would supply a new piano and pay for shipping. The dealer will be out the time he spent resolving the problem, but that's part of the cost of being in business.

In this case I am pretty sure the manufacturer WILL supply a new piano and George will be a happy camper.

"How, Monsieur, you care not for music? You do not play the clavecin? I am sorry for you! You are indeed condemming yourself to a dull old age!" - Fouquet
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
George-- if my piano developed cracks in the sounding board in the first year I would certainly be looking for a new piano from the manufacturer.

Good luck with the resolution. Bohemia has a fine reputation, and I would think they will do the right thing.

If you're not satisfied with the resolution you can always post a youtube video. :t:

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
George,

Sorry to hear that you are not getting premium service from Bohemia. They do make a nice piano. I stongly considered one, but bought a Walters for my church instead. Interestingly, when the Walters developed a finish problem, it was quickly replaced with a new piano. I did not have to beg or even suggest.

Wouldn't it be nice if Bohemia kept up with the competition? I am glad I made the choice I did.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
At this point..if you don't get a new piano
it will forever be imprinted in my brain ..avoid this "brand" piano at all cost! no excuses!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by George K:
Vince, the dealer (who is in Madison) said that it would cost just as much to come to my home (in Chicago) and inspect as it would to ship the piano back to his shop.
That may be the case, but so what? If he really feels it necessary to verify for himself what others have already attested, he should come to you because keeping his customer happy should be his No. 1 priority.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
George, the entire situation appears to have become more irksome than helpful. It sounds to me like it's time to go over the dealer's head here and write directly to the CEO of Bohemia. Include a link to this thread.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
George,

I've forwarded this thread to Bohemia already.

Not to make lame excuses, but I suspect part of the problem may be somehow related to the recent change of ownership.

I hope for your sake and for Bohemia's sake this gets resolved to your satisfaction. FWIW, I've had good dealings with the company.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kluurs:
Chris Quinn bought an August Forster that developed some problems - instant new piano - no fuss...

In Pique's book she told of to what lengths the dealer and manufacturer went to make her satisfied.

When we talk about tiers of pianos, at least part of what makes for a top tier piano is how they handle the problems...

Frankly, I'd expect Suzuki to stand behind their pianos better than this.
These were my exact thoughts. It is not the type of customer service I would strive to provide, in their shoes; to stick within the letter of contractual obligation. This can often cost much more in the long run. The "right" thing is worth so much more and can be the best and actually least expensive advertising. Keeping my reputation and customer good-will would be more important to me. Of course I am speaking as a consumer but when a person makes this type of purchase, these are the worst fears. Seeing how they are responded to, means a great deal. I can't imagine if a cost, in any part of this, was the same or even close they would argue anything other than what is the customer's preference.

Cathys

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Maybe we need to drop ship a copy of Grand Obsession to Farley's....

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A warranty of any kind is only as good as the company/manufacturer/dealer that stands behind it and honors it.

I’ve learned that you can’t “make” anyone do anything they are not willing to do; arm-twisting may have worked during the days of the old west or during the gangster era of the 1920’s but not anymore. As someone else has mentioned, if this issue is not resolved to Georges’ satisfaction, it would definitely be bad publicity for the manufacturer, whether they have changed ownership or not.

Surely dealerships and manufactures/distributors have a contingency plan for this sort of thing (or, maybe not).

Best regards,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
George,

Does your piano have a limited warranty or a full warranty?
Full warranties protect the consumer, limited warranties protect the manufacturer/importer.

If it has a full warranty, there should be no problem whatsoever in getting a brand new fresh piano at no additional cost to you.

In some states, full warranties also allow you the opportunity to get your money back anytime during the balance of the factory warranty. {Magnuson Moss Warranty Act}

If your piano has a limited warranty, you are sort of at the mercy of the manufacturer and/or the importer. Some warranties have exclusions due to climatic conditions in your home. Too dry or too humid.
If you have a limited warranty, read the fine print.
Some warranties state that transportation of the piano to and from the repair or replacement facility must be paid by the consumer.

Bohemia is a good company and I hope that they do the right thing for you, limited warranty or not.

We are on your side with this unfortunate problem.

Best of luck George,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
R
R
This story really concerns me given that I'm on the fence with a purchase of a 6'1" Bohemia. I may wait until I see how this plays out. Customer support on an expensive purchase like this is important.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Things are appearing to take a turn for the positive. I don't have details, as of yet, but I'm being told that Bechstein is stepping up to the plate to make things right. I am amazed at how fast this is happening.

As I said, I don't have details yet, other than some private communications from friends - but things are moving. It appears all will be done to make me a satisfied, happy, and proud owner of the Bohemia piano.

If this is the kind of support that Bechstein provides, through Bohemia, then that's a very good thing. I'll post more when I know it.

Thanks to everyone for their support. Especially to those who voiced their opinions.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Good news George!

My Mother-In-Law will be very happy to hear this.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
George,

Bohemia has gotten a good rep at least partly through the word of mouth on this board - and particularly with a regular like you buying one.

Based on your words, I'm going to be hopeful for a satisfactory resolution. I would have expected nothing less from a company aligned with Bechstein.

These stories are rare among very best pianos - but how they are dealt with builds or destroys a reputation. Glad to hear they understand the business.

As I said, I don't have details yet, other than some private communications from friends - but things are moving. It appears all will be done to make me a satisfied, happy, and proud owner of the Bohemia piano.
I've been following this thread and I'm impressed with Piano World and with some members or dealers having some clout, have appeared to have helped George.

Edit: Maybe better to say influence instead of clout.

Kawai RX2/Yamaha Digital YPG625
George, I've been out of town and just returned to read this (long) thread. I am in agreement with everyone here. Two cracks, a potential third problem developing...the dealer and manufacturer should replace the piano. If you decided you wanted to keep the same piano and just have the soundboard replaced, that would be a nice option to offer as they will have to replace the soundboard anyway.

Either way they should not have left you swinging in the wind like this. That's unacceptable, and I'm glad to hear that they are moving off the dime now. Keep us posted.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
On pins and needles here....

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission