2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
And the debate comes up again.

The problem is, I may very well play a piece in a single take at the correct tempo and even without mistakes when I am not recording, but then recording is an entire different matter, and I don't think I'm alone in this. When I'm recording I'm at least twice as bad a pianist as I usually am. So to show you where I am right now in my progress, I may have to join two takes or eliminate pauses. But you know what? The thing still sucks! grin

I do recording so I can spot all the faults that I couldn't hear before, and I do recitals to have a deadline and be pressured into learning to overcome the red dot syndrome, one day. I think I'm getting better at that, so thank you!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Originally Posted by GeorgeSchiro
Originally Posted by piano_primo_1
Should I do this whole thing over? (Back at One)????

Since it was originally Mr Super-Hunky's idea, perhaps we should defer to him -

Okay, here it is....

The ABF quarterly recitals were originally intended to provide us with a 'snapshot' of our abilities and progress playing the piano over time. A sort of 'time capsule' of what we sounded like at a certain point in time in our piano journey.

How this original concept turned into people splicing together individual sections of a score, editing out mistakes, overlaying-multi-track recorded sections on top of each other when the section gets too difficult to play, I'll never know. It was NOT the original intention.

Thanks for the clarification ,
Note that I did the initial recording of approx 5 min in 2 sessions. Not any other way.

Being that I am fascinated by MIDI and the possibilities of it with music, I copied the original and added/edited Midi data, saved it and compiled both into approx a 10 min "2 version of that same piece" entry.

I still have 5 days. so I MAY/MIGHT do it in One session again .

I do think that midi, daw's and learning what could be done with the theory of piano music , and digital's should always (emphatically ) be encouraged; whether one is a beginner or otherwise.
That skill-education furthers music(-al) ,(technology) and piano study and the independent creation of music.

Last edited by piano_primo_1; 05/09/14 01:55 AM. Reason: explaination

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
And the debate comes up again.

The problem is, I may very well play a piece in a single take at the correct tempo and even without mistakes when I am not recording, but then recording is an entire different matter, and I don't think I'm alone in this. When I'm recording I'm at least twice as bad a pianist as I usually am. So to show you where I am right now in my progress, I may have to join two takes or eliminate pauses.

There is no question everyone plays far better alone. So the question is which pianist is the real one, the one playing by herself all alone, or the one playing in front of a red light?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger

It is bad enough for the true beginners listening that the recital tends to dominated by the super talented, the super dedicated, and those with vast experience. Then to have someone with vast experience editing their submission and making the true beginners listening along feel even more inferior? Come on now. Folks, you are better than that. Sit it out if you are not ready or submit to the piano bar when you are.

There is also no shame in making mistakes. So many listeners stay on the sidelines because they get intimidated by the high percentage of seemingly note perfect performances. Please understand that many submissions still sound like beginner efforts for a wide variety of other reasons.

Oh well, I do not mean to sound mean, even if I am sure to some it sounds that way. My apologies to Pathbreaker for singling him/her out. However, it is an extraordinary case.

.....And think of the children !!!!!!!
.... shocked smile

I would think to note it in the information text box that it was edited and how.

On the flip side of the coin, a beginner might feel motivated rather than inferior, that someone with vast experience actually edited, and realize that anybody has shortcomings, makes mistakes etc.

It brings to mind when I was in college and the microbio. pro said how he was a wreck in class with technique , at gram stains, then his prof . told him how to make a shortcut in the technique by not using a different slide for each test ( what type then etc etc ,from the petri dish ) but doing it in a sequence, to make it time efficient etc.

....oh wait, this isn't about that... sorry....

Last edited by piano_primo_1; 05/09/14 02:31 AM. Reason: humor

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves

There is no question everyone plays far better alone. So the question is which pianist is the real one, the one playing by herself all alone, or the one playing in front of a red light?

Ummmmm , I haven't played piano in red light areas,,,,,.
cool

My Vivitar light is blue, -- same player, but different situation.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I agree with Sinophilia and 8octaves. I perform far worse with the red dot (very tense, stiff muscles, strange stuff). I have been trying for ages to get a good recording of some of the pieces of the Schumann Album for the Young but just can't.

Anyway, I am glad I submitted a straight out of the recorder recording (you can hear me switching it off wink ). I suppose I would you just as bad during a normal recital and this should be like a live recital if I understand mr. Super Hunky correctly. I can also understand that people edit, it's frustrating if you can't show how well you can play a piece.
I have never learned to edit audio so I didn't want to put effort in it.

N
N17 Offline
N
Piece submitted at 31. There will be a stark contrast between Mr. Super Hunky's playing and my piece that follows. But I'm excited to have everything submitted anyway.

Also, I didn't edit! Those are all my mistakes, hesitations, and crazy changes in tempo and dynamics with no technology aids. Though, I did try out a little bit of reverb (the default setting on my DP) after peterws suggested it may have helped the sound quality of my previous recording in last month's piano bar.

COYS
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
" . . . after peterws suggested it may have helped the sound quality of my previous recording in last month's piano bar. . ."

I see problems comin` my way . . . me and my big (digital) gob . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws

I see problems comin` my way . . . me and my big (digital) gob . . .

Yeah, be careful peter grin

Okay I know what's the problem... it's the digital piano that's evil! Digital recordings are just too tempting! That's why I try really hard to make videos of the acoustic... but they're rarely listenable.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Okay, here it is....
The ABF quarterly recitals were originally intended to provide us with a 'snapshot' of our abilities and progress playing the piano over time. A sort of 'time capsule' of what we sounded like at a certain point in time in our piano journey.
(...)

That's the spirit. Mistakes are part of the process.
Fortunately I make many mistakes. smile

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
That's why you got the star! wink

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Come on people! Lets worry about making music. I've heard too many in my life who are so worried about perfect copy. They don't make music. They don't even come close!
In these recitals and piano bar. I hear so many people trying to make music. It's obvious. Mistakes don't mean diddly to me. When one recovers from a mistake and plays the next few bars musically. That means a whole lot to me.
I love it when I hear someone romp over a mistake like it's nothing. Doesn't even phase them.
I love to hear those who improvise because they just can't do it technically right now. They are more interested in making music.
I can't help but root for those just beginning who are playing little bits of real music here and there. They get what it's all about!
I can't help but root for those who keep struggling technically. But still turn out music for part or most of it.
I myself don't care if they splice together parts. Work them in their DAW. Just my opinion.
I myself understand more now that I play. I can hear when someone is having a problem getting their hand to do this movement. I just root for them. Am happy as can be when they recover with music.
It's all about music. It's not about perfect copy that isn't music.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
My apologies to Pathbreaker for singling him/her out.

No problem, your opinion is as good as mine. But I wasn't talking about my current submission. For this recital I did put two pieces together but I did it all in one go.

My post was more in the spirit of inclusion and in support of Primo or others so that they are more likely to participate if the use of software is part of the recording process.

For me, the example I gave pertains to a past non-ABF recital. In that recital I know that I was not alone in making such an edit and it seemed like the right thing to do for the sake of the listener more than myself. I felt obligated to post the original raw performance and so I did do that in that thread. I don't think it was necessary but I know that some people like a truly live experience.

I don't actually have any editing skills and that was my first attempt at an edit. It seemed to work out so I made the choice that for THAT recital the more polished version would be preferred by that audience. If I make an edit you will know because it will be very sloppy. ha

Like some of you I think the spirit of the recital is better when the performance is as close to the original as possible. But if some people make some minor edits it doesn't really bother me.

I don't really have future plans to edit my work because the process was painful and not that rewarding. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano_primo_1

I do think that midi, daw's and learning what could be done with the theory of piano music , and digital's should always (emphatically ) be encouraged; whether one is a beginner or otherwise.
That skill-education furthers music(-al) ,(technology) and piano study and the independent creation of music.

I've always preferred acoustic but unfortunately I'm really picky and it's so hard to get my hands on one that's not totally falling apart. So I'm satisfied enough with my DP for now but really interested in finding something more advanced in the software piano range. I finally got myself a midi-usb and barely got Pianoteq (sample) going. So far I'm not really inspired to spend any money on anything else. It's hard to know if it will be worth it.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by sinophilia

Okay I know what's the problem... it's the digital piano that's evil!

burn them I say (all except mine)

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
MIDI is great for learning anyway... for example if you don't hit two notes perfectly at the same time you will see it very well. Even if it's a 100th of a second, the MIDI track reveals it - and of course the ear can hear it! You can see the velocity with which you pressed every key, and hear the corresponding dynamics. You can see a slight hesitation as a gap that's too long. I am a very visual person and I've learned a lot from that. You can clearly see the tiny details that make up the whole and see how you managed to obtain a pleasant sound (or not). It also makes one very picky!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi gang!

Between playing golf and trap shooting (and tending my remote landlord interests in marijuana farming in Colorado laugh ) I haven't been checking in here much lately...just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive and well and I'm putting the finishing touches on a tune - an easy piano arrangement of a "fiddle tune" - that started out as a simple, moving farewell tribute to the students attending a music camp in the upstate region of the Peoples Republic of New York, and ended as the very compelling and hauntingly beautiful theme song of the most critically acclaimed documentary in TV history...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I know that tune smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple
Originally Posted by GeorgeSchiro
... add a disclaimer to their submission ...

Many submissions add a disclaimer just for submitting. smile
I'm still focused on the 15 seconds of ... nothing? smile

found it's way after following..
"Much ado about........"

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
For me, the example I gave pertains to a past non-ABF recital. In that recital I know that I was not alone in making such an edit and it seemed like the right thing to do for the sake of the listener more than myself. I felt obligated to post the original raw performance and so I did do that in that thread. I don't think it was necessary but I know that some people like a truly live experience.

I think the recitals in PC are a whole different animal than the ABF quarterly recitals, and with different motivations. Yeah, I think there the idea is much more "post a recording that's close to professional." That's really not the ABF recitals (at least not the quarterlies). The ABF is about "where you are now" and celebrating the process and pleasure of learning. The PC can have the pro recitals laugh People are welcome in the ABF regardless of where they are in their journey, what kind of music they play, how much nerves got to them, etc. It's really the point.

We are welcoming precisely because the bloopers are welcomed. If we lose that feeling, that welcomes us all just as we are at this minute in our piano playing, well, we've lost.

So to imply in any way that one's playing needs to be blooperless, either to the ABF or to ones self, is to, IMO, damage the spirit of the ABF and its recitals.

So I don't want to encourage editing of bloopers.

I feel pretty strongly about this laugh

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission