2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
27 registered members (dima5222, aroscoe01, Clockworkangel, ChatNoir, Carey, Burkie, CyberGene, David B, 7 invisible), 250 guests, and 315 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Hello, would you like to replace..." #2272503 05/07/14 06:49 PM
F
fnork Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
F
Earlier this week, I got THAT phone-call one just wouldn't ever imagining getting. A major orchestra had run into troubles as their soloist - put in any preferable world famous name here, Argerich, Radu Lupu, Sokolov... - had gotten ill. Would I like to step in and do a Mozart concerto on roughly 9 days notice? "We see that it is on your repertoire list..." - yes, I think to myself, I might have played a movement of it badly 8 years ago..."Oh yes, it was a while ago, but..." - I then suggested I'd go it through again to refresh my memory, and get back to them the next morning. Ran straight to the library, surprised to only find a mini score of this very well known concerto, but no two-piano reduction...but got a hold of my teacher, who had a score - ironically, fingered by the pianist I had been offered to replace...

Meanwhile, the orchestra also got a hold of another pianist, more established, who perhaps more wisely immediately said he would be able to do it, which is what I also wrote to them, next morning. It was a close call, and while they ended up picking the other pianist, the good news is that the orchestra wants to do something else in the future! As we finished the phone-call, I jokingly said that I'd be more than happy to do something with them where I'd have more than a weeks time to prepare, heh.

What is your craziest replacement-related story? I brought this up to another pianist - he was once asked to replace Lang Lang in Concertgebouw....packed his suitcases and was ready to go, but then Lang Lang (unfortunately) stopped puking...

Last edited by fnork; 05/07/14 06:51 PM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: fnork] #2272525 05/07/14 07:58 PM
gooddog Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on receiving such a high level complement! Wow.

My story is much, much less significant. I was asked at the last minute to replace the choir accompanist at the high school where I work. I ran away as fast as I could. [Linked Image]

Best regards,

Deborah
Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: fnork] #2272541 05/07/14 08:35 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I was just thinking that you might have missed a big chance there - seemingly, every big name these days mention on their blurb how they replaced so-and-so at short notice and caused a big splash, after which they became world-famous..... wink . But they know of you now, and there will be other chances thumb.

As an amateur who plays for fun rather than profit, I've only ever once replaced someone at short notice - ironically, at a small charity recital that I was meant to attend as a member of the audience grin. (My criteria for playing in public is that I play whatever I want, and that my audience aren't musical - otherwise I'd lose my nerve.....). Apparently, the teenage daughter of the organiser was meant to be playing on the new grand in their friend's home, and proceeds were to go to their favorite charity - and a buffet dinner was thrown in.

Two days before the event, I got a call, asking if I could play instead, as the young lady had fallen ill. She was going to be playing a 40-minute program of 'light' classical music and Joplin rags, apparently. Well, I could do classical - not too sure about the 'light' bit (I hoped it wasn't Clayderman stuff they were expecting) - but not Joplin, whose music I'd only ever sight-read for fun. I did some last-minute polishing of the Mozart piano sonata (K330) that would be my main piece (for which I'd use the score), and the rest would be from my memorized repertoire that I'd played for years - a couple of Chopin waltzes and Op.10/12 & Op.25/1 etudes, Rachmaninov's Prelude in G minor and Schumann/Liszt's Widmung. At the last minute, I decided to throw in Beethoven's Moonlight first movement too, as at least that was one 'popular classical' piece that everyone would have heard before, and could relate to....

On arrival, I found that I was only given a few minutes to get acquainted with the piano (after all, a piano is a piano....), and then discovered that the pedal unit was so high off the floor that the flexibility of my calf muscles would be severely tested, if I wanted to use the pedals. Evidently, the original pianist would have worn high heels to play, but I don't do heels. So, I treated the audience to some unusual pedal effects - as in no pedal in the Mozart sonata and Chopin's Minute Waltz, and almost continuous pedal in the rest grin - depending on the amount of pain in my calves.

But the dinner was good......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: fnork] #2272546 05/07/14 08:51 PM
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Funny story fnork. You know, I periodically wonder what I'd do if I got a call like that for random piece x on my repertoire list. Makes me excited AND makes me want to hide the whole list!

The weirdest replacement call I got was to play bass. I was in high school and only occupying the last chair of the bass section in orchestra so I could have something to do during the repertoire that didn't have a piano part. The second chair bassist was a late-starting prodigy who was on the sub list for a local orchestra. He got a call but he couldn't do it so for some reason he asked me. Luckily it was for a Night in Vienna themed engagement so it was just 3 hours of downbeats. That's the only paying gig I ever got on the bass.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: fnork] #2272562 05/07/14 09:38 PM
P
pianorigami Offline
P
1: Congrats!
2: I've always wondered. If this happens, what do you do?? I couldn't imagine playing a whole concerto with a week's notice. I read about Robin McCabe doing something similar to you, fnork, as the orchestra had programmed the wrong concerto! She then had to scramble to remember the one they were actually playing.
Well- if you had gotten the gig, would you just practice for 10+ hours every day? Or is your memory and your control of your nerves just that good that it wouldn't be a problem?

Thanks!

Everyday is a great day.
Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: fnork] #2272581 05/07/14 10:37 PM
V
Vktmzkf932 Offline
V
I would have said yes, most likely.
Still, not a bad thing to even get a call like this. Might I ask who would you have been the replacement for?

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: Vktmzkf932] #2272586 05/07/14 10:51 PM
F
Francisco Scalco Offline
F
Congratulations Martim! I know you didn't come here searching for any more compliments, but I must say I'm a huge fan of yours! Please, someday, come to Brazil!!
And as Liszt_BG said, could you tell us who was the replacement for?

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: fnork] #2272600 05/08/14 12:16 AM
B
Brendan Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
B
I got two of those for solo recitals this year. Granted, that's easier than having to learn/relearn a specific concerto, but it's still fun to get on a plane on a moment's notice and hop to the other side of the country to play. smile

What did they suggest for future engagements?

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: fnork] #2272637 05/08/14 05:32 AM
Nikolas Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
haha! That was huge fun! And such a compliment MArtim! Well done! Very well done! You're getting there (are you already there? hmmm)

I actually have never gotten any last minute calls. This is probably (obviously rather) because composers take more time to compose something, while a pianist might have a work under their fingers, if they've studied it before. :-/ I think.

But I am constantly stretching myself to meet the deadlines, that myself I impose and then fail to meet! grin

Last edited by Nikolas; 05/08/14 05:32 AM.
Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: Brendan] #2272644 05/08/14 06:00 AM
F
fnork Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
F
Ironically, the pianist I was asked to replace was someone I tried signing up to masterclass for a year ago, without getting selected...He has the initials A.S. and plays Bach completely without pedal, save for an organ point in the A minor fugue of book 1 where he admits using the sostenuto pedal. The discussion that arose with the thread I started about him came to his attention after that masterclass in Helsinki (which he did for free), and he was very upset about the whole thing - there was a fair amount of nasty comments, I recall. Let's speak of him using initials only - heck, first I'm starting threads about him that turn nasty, and next thing, I'm trying to steal his gig! wink

It was a very odd phone-call, the first one. In retrospect, it's easy to tell yourself what you SHOULD have done. In any case, I'm trying to tell myself that they would have called some other pianists regardless if I would have unhesitatingly said yes at once, but it was very odd - I both got the indication that they were 'looking around for various options' AND that they would quite possibly take me immediately if I'd clearly say yes at once. Impossible to say now, really. In any case, getting another gig with that orchestra with proper preparation time is so much better than practicing Mozart for a week, possibly failing, and then never getting phonecalls again. I just came back from vacations, was sick for a few days, out of shape. This was not the right moment...however, now the door is open.

Originally Posted by Brendan

The particularly awesome thing is that they asked ME to come up with a list of things I'd be interested in doing, and the guy I spoke to went like, "yeah, and it seems like perhaps Mozart isn't your first priority", indicating they are well aware that I like to dig through less-played rep...Actually, this orchestra is particularly forward-looking with programming, they do a good dose of contemporary music (partially thanks to the orchestra pianist whom I know, who always suggests such things - they've also done Ives 4th symphony two times the last decade or so) and so on, so I have a good feeling about coming up with a repertoire list that includes Szymanowski, Medtner or Feinberg concerti! Haha.

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: pianorigami] #2272663 05/08/14 07:20 AM
chopinoholic Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations fnork. I would think that if you were asked to replace someone with the A.S. initials is a big compliment. And that you are "on the list" and can determine what you want to play is a big boost in confidence I'd imagine.
I never had something like this. I was asked to play for the radio once, but I was too scared and declined. I was only 15 at the time.

Originally Posted by pianorigami
2: I've always wondered. If this happens, what do you do?? I couldn't imagine playing a whole concerto with a week's notice. I read about Robin McCabe doing something similar to you, fnork, as the orchestra had programmed the wrong concerto! She then had to scramble to remember the one they were actually playing.
Well- if you had gotten the gig, would you just practice for 10+ hours every day? Or is your memory and your control of your nerves just that good that it wouldn't be a problem?
Thanks!

What if this would happen to you?

Last edited by chopinoholic; 05/08/14 07:20 AM.

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: chopinoholic] #2272683 05/08/14 08:13 AM
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chopinoholic

If you hired Pires... you should play the concerto Pires wants.

(Notwithstanding, this video is one of the best ads for memorizing repertoire that I've ever seen.)

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: fnork] #2272697 05/08/14 08:39 AM
T
TwoSnowflakes Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Every time I see that video I get a panic attack right along with her.

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: TwoSnowflakes] #2272703 05/08/14 08:54 AM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Every time I see that video I get a panic attack right along with her.

Well, at least she didn't hear the opening strains of the Busoni concerto while expecting to play K466..... wink

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: pianorigami] #2272711 05/08/14 09:10 AM
F
fnork Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
F

It all depends, it all depends. Showing up two days prior to a concert to rehearse what you expect will be concerto X and finding out as the orchestra starts to play that they have prepared concerto Y sounds like a rather nerve-wracking experience to me. OTOH, it depends on at what stage you are - have you been playing regularly as a soloist for 20 years, and do you have all of the standard concerti under your belt? Did you perhaps already play concerto Y 20 times last season anyway? Then, no biggie, in most cases. I forget what violinist it was that used to come to orchestra rehearsals asking - so, which concerto do we do this time? laugh

And then again, doing a Mozart on a weeks notice is a completely different thing than doing Rach 3 with the same amount of preparation time. Mozart is physically possible for many pianists with that amount of time (as long as you have sensibility for the music, etc), Rach is another matter.

I'd practice like mad the first bunch of days, doing all essential stuff regarding fingering, practicing slowly, then go on with more thorough analysis of form, phrasing, piecing bits and pieces together, running the piece from different spots each time to avoid any memory/control issues, such as forgetting what comes when etc. And then I'd also just play complete movements through an endless amount of times just to quickly get the feeling that I know the piece since long. And then I'd have tons of sleepless nights, panic, anxiety, and possibly screw the whole thing up anyway. Impossible to say, though, with something like a Mozart concerto, I do think I could have done it.

Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
Congratulations Martim! Please, someday, come to Brazil!!

Oh, I'd love to! Please find me an orchestra in search of a replacement due to a sick soloist, and I'm hopping on the plane!!!

...as a matter of fact, I was considering applying to a competition in Rio later this year - let's see what happens.

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: Brendan] #2272808 05/08/14 12:33 PM
pianoloverus Offline
Originally Posted by Brendan
I got two of those for solo recitals this year. Granted, that's easier than having to learn/relearn a specific concerto, but it's still fun to get on a plane on a moment's notice and hop to the other side of the country to play. smile

So does this mean you accepted? What was the program?

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: fnork] #2272851 05/08/14 02:03 PM
B
boo1234 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I think you blew your chance there. Should have said yes immediately and then worried about the rest later!

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: chopinoholic] #2272852 05/08/14 02:07 PM
B
boo1234 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Congratulations fnork. I would think that if you were asked to replace someone with the A.S. initials is a big compliment. And that you are "on the list" and can determine what you want to play is a big boost in confidence I'd imagine.
I never had something like this. I was asked to play for the radio once, but I was too scared and declined. I was only 15 at the time.

Thanks!

I don't think the pires video is all that amazing. She plays the d minor concerto all the time and has probably played it for 40+ years.

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: boo1234] #2272862 05/08/14 02:26 PM
F
fnork Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by boo1234
I think you blew your chance there. Should have said yes immediately and then worried about the rest later!

Might be, but it also seemed they were 'checking various options', meaning, that even with an immediate yes, they would've looked around for a few other possible pianists. Also, bear in mind that screwing up this would mean that the door would be closed for the future, but currently, it seems wide open. A well-prepared performance has the chance of making you re-engaged, while a so-so performance with a weeks preparation time is less likely to have the same effect...not an easy choice to make.

Re: "Hello, would you like to replace..." [Re: boo1234] #2272872 05/08/14 03:03 PM
P
Polyphonist Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by boo1234

Thanks!

I don't think the pires video is all that amazing. She plays the d minor concerto all the time and has probably played it for 40+ years.

+1

I could do the same thing with a piece I knew that well.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to practice away from a piano?
by gtdpiano - 04/05/20 10:39 PM
What is the fate motif in Beethoven Sonatas? ?
by pianoloverus - 04/05/20 07:29 PM
Bach Inventions
by Moo :) - 04/05/20 06:26 PM
Rufus Wainwright's Bluthner
by DDobs - 04/05/20 05:04 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,942
Posts2,942,365
Members96,495
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission