2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello, I am looking to buy a Baldwin Hamilton 243 oak studio piano, serial #401039, for my daughter who has been taking lessons for seven years. It was recommended that we get her an acoustic piano. The one I have found is pristine, not one scratch, the hammers have no grooves, it looks like it's never been played. The asking price is $1450 which includes professional delivery. It plays beautifully, the tone is impeccable. Any way to know what year this piano is and is it worth this money? Afraid I don't know anything about pianos. I'd like to insert photos, but don't know how.

Last edited by Michele9300; 05/05/14 01:46 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Michele - Welcome to Piano World!

The piano was built in 1985.

Those studio pianos have been proven to be very, very solid instruments and were often used in schools and practice rooms. You still see them performing very well throughout the USA.

As with any used piano, it should be fully inspected by a qualified piano technician prior to purchase. If the piano is in good shape, that is a very good price for the piano.

Cheers,

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you, Marty! The piano is in showroom condition. It appears the folks bought it and never used it. Their home must have been climate controlled also, as the condition speaks for that. Thank you for telling me the year it was made! We took our very experienced piano instructor with us and she was in awe over it's condition and tone. Looks like we may have found a gem! Thank you again! If there's a away to share photos, please let me know.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats on the Baldwin 243! Sounds like you got a great deal! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Those are wonderful pianos, love the Baldwin 243. Congratulations on finding a good instrument!! Enjoy!

Theodore
Alamo Music Center
San Antonio,Texas

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Michele,

Confusion reigns when attaching photos at PW. I assume that you have the photos on your computer in a file. Here's how I do it.

Click on this link: Photo Uploader

Scroll down the page and enter your information in the boxes. You can search your own photo files, on your computer, to find the image you want.

When you have entered your information, click on Submit Form

This will open a new box or tab telling you that you have made an error. Well, you haven't !!! - Close that tab/window and forget about it.

You will receive an email at the address you entered. At the bottom of that email will be an address at Piano World where you photo is located. Copy that address and return to your message, to insert the photo, in the Full Reply Screen mode.

At the top of the "Full Reply" response area, just click on the fourth button from the left, at the top, and just above the typing area. Select Insert a non-floating image.

Paste in the address which you received in the email.

Remember, the photo will be in the spot where you have your cursor set.

You can see your photo by using Preview Post at the bottom of the message box.

I hope this helps.

Marty in Minnesota

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you for the instructions, Marty! Here is the piano ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Michele9300; 05/05/14 04:32 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michele9300

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pics aren't showing, the URL just has image.jpg:
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/image.jpg

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oops - Something didn't work. Did you get an email from Piano World? Did you 'copy' and then 'paste' into the link button in the full reply screen?

Marty in Minnesota

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I can see the photos. The case looks nice. It looks like there's an issue with hammer #13, along with the typical Baldwin hammer alignment issues.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
M
OP Offline
M
I tried to repost the photos again, and I cannot see them either. Irregardless, we are the new owners of this piano! So far it plays absolutely beautifully and the tone is awesome. Hopefully the problem that Eric sees in hammer #13 isn't too serious. Thank you for looking at it, Eric.

Hi Michele,

Your digital photo has to be hosted on a web-site and have a URL address. You can upload the photo to the Piano World photo hosting section (which Frank Baxter, owner of PW prefers).

If your photos are on a website, right click on the picture and click "Properties"; you will see a URL address starting with "http" and ending with "jpg". If you can post that URL here, I will help you embed the photo in your post window.

Good luck,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Rick. Trying again to post a photo. I looked at #13 and it is rubbing, but it does play. Will it hurt anything to leave it or should I have a technician come in?

[Linked Image]

A great looking piano!

I think the hammer adjustment can wait until it acclimates to your home and you have it tuned. Worse case scenario, the note/hammer might stick a little.

Congrats again!

Rick

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you, Rick. I appreciate the feedback. I think the photos weren't posting because I was trying it from an apple device. I used my PC and had no problems.

I'll let it adjust to the environment here. I am loving this piano so much, I may have to learn to play myself. It's too beautiful to let it sit untouched during the day, with the exception of my daughter playing in the evening. I've been won over by acoustic pianos. Good bye digital.

I'll let it adjust to the environment here. I am loving this piano so much, I may have to learn to play myself. It's too beautiful to let it sit untouched during the day, with the exception of my daughter playing in the evening. I've been won over by acoustic pianos. Good bye digital.

I've been won over by acoustic pianos as well... I've got 5 of them, and a digital! smile

Yep, I'm a piano fanatic alright. Of course, I can think of some other things to be fanatical about that's not as good for you as pianos. smile

By-the-way, one of my acoustics is a Baldwin/Hamilton 243 from the early 1980's. smile

Wishing you and your daughter all the best of piano enjoyment!

Rick

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission