2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
54 members (20/20 Vision, 1957, AlphaBravoCharlie, bxrdad1, Chewbacca, Alex C, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 446 guests, and 400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 80 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 79 80
Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD
PV1 #2271657 05/05/14 11:25 PM
F
F
I see the mod wheel is factory assigned to vibrato and not expression. I've gone into the Edit Menue>6.Control>Mod. Wheel and have it set to ON Mod. Assign is Expression and the Mod. Range is 127 but it does not transmit any changes to my DAW host instruments. The Pitch Bend wheel does function as expected in my DAW. The expression pedal also works.

Do I need to do something else besides pushing the store button?

Update.

I selected Ext. for Zone Mode using the INT/MIDI button. I found the Mod. Wheel and set Mod. Wheel to On and the Mod. Assign to CC#1. It works!

Now I have to figure out how to save this setting.

Update

I now have the Mod Wheel set to control CC#1 with the Start Up save option. smile

Last edited by fastlanephil; 05/06/14 01:21 AM.
mordecai #2271804 05/06/14 10:20 AM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by mordecai
I was determined to order the MP7 this week but then came across this (excellent) forum and now I'm a bit worried. What if that jittery control problem is hardware-based? Also, Bryanstern mentions a latency when using the MP7 via a piano VST (Galaxy Vintage D). Has anyone else seen this (or Bryan did you manage to sort it?). One last question for an MP7 owner, how much more difficult is it playing toward the back of the keys, given the short fulcrum distance? My current master keyboard (Keystation pro88) is not very piano-like in action but strangely doesn't suffer from any increased resistance even at the very top of the key. Many thanks for any response guys.

Don't worry ; the keybed quality is miles ahead of anything M-audio makes. You will like it. As for the small glitches in some units (control jitter); they will be straitened out eventually. That's what firmware updates and/or the excellent Kawai after sales service are for. The AP on the Kawai is pretty good, you may not need the Galaxy after all ;-) Latency is usually the result of combined settings in controller / computer and computer speed. When you have a modern computer , it shouldn't be an issue.

JFP #2271830 05/06/14 11:25 AM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by JFP
Don't worry...

I agree. There are often "teething problems" with new boards (as Roland are currently aware wink ). This doesn't excuse sloppy QA or programming, or specifying sub-par parts, but it is more than likely that such issues will be addressed speedily. I have full confidence in Kawai on this front.

As for the MP7 itself, think about the competition at a similar price point:
Roland RD-300NX
Roland FP-50/FP-80
Yamaha CP40
Yamaha P-255
Kurzweil SP5-8
Korg Krome 88
Korg SV-1 88

Which board has the best action? Apart from the FP-80, which is probably on par but $200 more expensive, the MP7 beats them all, IMO, and in some cases by a wide margin.

Which board has the best design and build quality? I think the Kawai is ahead of all the others on this, at the penalty of a few pounds extra in weight.

Sounds. This is very much personal preference. I don't think any of these boards is a clear winner, with some excelling at certain things (SV-1 for EPs and instant access to great effects, FP-80 for AP refinement, Krome for full-length samples, CP40 for a brilliantly modeled Rhodes). But the Kawai is a great all-rounder - more so than any of the other boards - with well above average APs, EPs, and organs (for a DP).

As I spend more time with the board, like other owners, I am becoming more and more engaged with it. It is a very powerful instrument that can be substantially molded towards an individual's preferences. I don't think the Kawai AP sample set is perfect, but it is up there with the best and plays superbly well. To get much better, you either have to go the software route, splash out on an RD-800, or live with the Fatar action in a Nord - oh, and pay over $1k more.

What strikes me is that this is more than just another corporate product designed to fill a niche, paring the specifications down to the lowest point of consumer acceptability. It seems like a genuine effort to create something outstanding at a very good price point. And, more to the point, it succeeds!

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
voxpops #2271852 05/06/14 12:11 PM
L
L
I have a question for the early adaptors of the MP7. What do you think of the turning knobs? I'm breaking my head over it, because I think the interface would be so much easier and more convenient to control with infinite turning knobs. Anyone that can convince me these knobs with minimal and maximal positions are the best option, please do!

Kawai MP5 & MP7; Nord Electro 5D 73sw; Roland VK8 & AX-Synth & FR1
Kawai MP7 setup exchange: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KawaiMP7/
Lennert #2271859 05/06/14 12:21 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Lennert
I have a question for the early adaptors of the MP7. What do you think of the turning knobs? I'm breaking my head over it, because I think the interface would be so much easier and more convenient to control with infinite turning knobs. Anyone that can convince me these knobs with minimal and maximal positions are the best option, please do!

Two reasons, both to do with the issue over unintended parameter/value shifts.
1. By setting the pots to either their minimum or maximum positions prior to switching the machine on, you minimize the potential for them to jitter and shift values.
2. By setting the system command to "catch" for the knobs, the problem (while not editing) is further reduced. It would be difficult to have a "catch" setting if the knobs were of the infinite variety.

mabraman, 2015
voxpops #2271879 05/06/14 01:29 PM
F
F
I'm now attempting to transmit MMC transport commands to control the transport controls in my DAW. I don't see anywhere I can assign 0-127 midi numbers to MP7 transport controls. The manual just shows MMC 01-05 for the basic controls.

If anyone has success doing this please post about it.

Update

I found out the problem is that MMC is system exclusive based and my DAWs (Metro 7)remote control doesn't respond to system exclusive but they said that if Kawai would send him a loaner he would gladly add support for it.

I've come up with a couple of alternative setups but having it easily available on the MP7 would be nice.

We'll see!

Last edited by fastlanephil; 05/06/14 09:17 PM.
voxpops #2271919 05/06/14 03:04 PM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by voxpops
Originally Posted by JFP
Don't worry...

I agree. There are often "teething problems" with new boards (as Roland are currently aware wink ). This doesn't excuse sloppy QA or programming, or specifying sub-par parts, but it is more than likely that such issues will be addressed speedily. I have full confidence in Kawai on this front.

As for the MP7 itself: think about the competition at a similar price point:
Roland RD-300NX
Roland FP-50/FP-80
Yamaha CP40
Yamaha P-255
Kurzweil SP5-8
Korg Krome 88
Korg SV-1 88

Which board has the best action? Apart from the FP-80, which is probably on par but $200 more expensive, the MP7 beats them all, IMO, and in some cases by a wide margin.

Which board has the best design and build quality? I think the Kawai is ahead of all the others on this, at the penalty of a few pounds extra in weight.

Sounds. This is very much personal preference. I don't think any of these boards is a clear winner, with some excelling at certain things (SV-1 for EPs and instant access to great effects, FP-80 for AP refinement, Krome for full-length samples, CP40 for a brilliantly modeled Rhodes). But the Kawai is a great all-rounder - more so than any of the other boards - with well above average APs, EPs, and organs (for a DP).

As I spend more time with the board, like other owners, I am becoming more and more engaged with it. It is a very powerful instrument that can be substantially molded towards an individual's preferences. I don't think the Kawai AP sample set is perfect, but it is up there with the best and plays superbly well. To get much better, you either have to go the software route, splash out on an RD-800, or live with the Fatar action in a Nord - oh, and pay over $1k more.

What strikes me is that this is more than just another corporate product designed to fill a niche, paring the specifications down to the lowest point of consumer acceptability. It seems like a genuine effort to create something outstanding at a very good price point. And, more to the point, it succeeds!

I agree with the thoughts about the MP7, but also was tinkering with the idea if the FA-08 should be part of your list. After all , it's not designed as a pure stage, but it has a better engine than the Rd300NX and loads of extra sounds and options. Keybed is also better. I would throw out the FP80 (otherwise - where is the ES7 , PX350 and other speaker-portables) and complete the list with PX5S, FA08 and perhaps the MOXF8. Perhaps that makes less sense in light of the price point in the US, but over here these boards do fit in.

JFP #2271926 05/06/14 03:17 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by JFP
I agree with the thoughts about the MP7, but also was tinkering with the idea if the FA-08 should be part of your list. After all , it's not designed as a pure stage, but it has a better engine than the Rd300NX and loads of extra sounds and options. Keybed is also better. I would throw out the FP80 (otherwise - where is the ES7 , PX350 and other speaker-portables) and complete the list with PX5S, FA08 and perhaps the MOXF8. Perhaps that makes less sense in light of the price point in the US, but over here these boards do fit in.

Good points. I completely forgot about the FA08 (but then that opens up the MOXF can of worms, too!). I left out the Casios due to their much lower price point in the US, and forgot about the differences elsewhere in the world (oh no, I'm becoming Americanized! wink ).

But in the end, it was less about making a comprehensive list, and more about what the MP7 provides versus the majority of alternatives.

Last edited by voxpops; 05/06/14 03:22 PM.

mabraman, 2015
Marko in Boston #2271936 05/06/14 03:28 PM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I understand. You're conclusion still stands and I can't agree with it more. MP7 is certainly a very attractive beast as a stage piano with extra's.

Marko in Boston #2272067 05/06/14 09:14 PM
R
R
Speaking of comparable boards, I've been checking out a MOXF8. Love the sounds, not the keybed. How are the woodwinds on the MP7? Oboe? I love a good oboe sound.

rtistikdude #2272077 05/06/14 10:11 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by rtistikdude
How are the woodwinds on the MP7? Oboe? I love a good oboe sound.

The MP7 has a single Oboe sound, which I tried a few moments ago.
While obviously not on the same level as some the dedicated orchestra VST, the sound is acceptable and certainly recognisable as an Oboe.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
voxpops #2272295 05/07/14 09:58 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by voxpops

Two reasons, both to do with the issue over unintended parameter/value shifts.
1. By setting the pots to either their minimum or maximum positions prior to switching the machine on, you minimize the potential for them to jitter and shift values.
2. By setting the system command to "catch" for the knobs, the problem (while not editing) is further reduced. It would be difficult to have a "catch" setting if the knobs were of the infinite variety.

Hi voxpops, thanks for your thoughts. I'm still not really sure though. I will try to explain this after answering to your two reasons.

1. I think this is a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.
2. A "catch" setting would not be needed when those knobs are infinite turning: they're on the right spot anyway.

The 'problem' I have now, is that changing values is a bit tricky. If the system command is set to "normal" and a knob is halfway (because of an earlier change you made for a different parameter), and now you have a parameter with a low value that you would like to up a little so you turn the knob to the right, the value goes up real fast. There's no subtlety until you turn the knob to the minimum and start from there.
In "catch" mode, the behaviour is even more confusing, because sometimes it's not clear if you're seeing a lower or higher value than the position of the knob would suggest. It's a hit or miss which direction to turn.

An infinite turning knob would allow you to quickly increase or decrease a value by respectively turning right or left. It's not really useful to feel whether a knob is at its minimum or maximum when you have the values on a screen, right?

Please share your thoughts, or anyone else.

And to Kawai James: enjoy your holiday!

Last edited by Lennert; 05/07/14 10:00 AM.

Marko in Boston #2272300 05/07/14 10:08 AM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
For me the same. I would prefer infinite turning knobs, because there is a really nice LCD screen where one could see the values visualized. Jumping parameter values while changing menu pages is a no-go.

rtistikdude #2272314 05/07/14 10:51 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by rtistikdude
Speaking of comparable boards, I've been checking out a MOXF8. Love the sounds, not the keybed. How are the woodwinds on the MP7? Oboe? I love a good oboe sound.

https://soundcloud.com/zagny/mp7-oboe/s-xWcjL
I was sight-reading this, so don't expect much dynamics and stuff. I must say I'm pretty impressed by the sound, though I never use woodwinds on my keyboards. And keep in mind this is the standard unedited sound and there's much to tweak.

Marko in Boston #2272374 05/07/14 01:14 PM
R
R
Lennert, thx, generous of you to share. I like it. I've been listening to the MP7 audio samples almost daily. They are growing on me. The MOXF8 sounds are so "realized" is the word I choose, and considering it's a repackaging of a 13-year generation sound package, seems like a natural conclusion. I've tried the MOXF8 at GC and my fears were actualized doing so, in that there are too many sound choices. The creative spark is overwhelmed by the curiosity to perhaps find something "better" among the endless choices. Hours can be wasted.

The MP7 sounds are feeling very pure to me and their generous but limited number helps guard against being overly distracted. And from what I'm reading here, the manipulative potentials of each sound on this keyboard generation, while needing some possible fixes, make the sounds open to be more user-realized from a purer starting place. The oboe sound reflects this clearly to me, and your dynamics were just varied enough at the end to hear a bit more air which was reassuring. Thanks again.

Seems like the fundamentals of the sounds' purity will respond well to DAW effects and mixing.

James' reminder about potentially better vst sounds is important too. Thank you. It's something I could invest in down the line (EastWest QL or the like) and still have this excellent keybed to play and control with, vs. the MOXF8 flash capacity for future sounds and imho weaker keybed. True, I'd have to stay attached to a computer/DAW for that, a chain I'm looking to break during the music-creation phase (vs. mixing/arranging etc.).

Thinking out loud here, basically...

Lennert #2272540 05/07/14 08:34 PM
Online Content
https://soundcloud.com/zagny/mp7-oboe/s-xWcjL
I was sight-reading this, so don't expect much dynamics and stuff. I must say I'm pretty impressed by the sound, though I never use woodwinds on my keyboards. And keep in mind this is the standard unedited sound and there's much to tweak.

Wow, nice job! wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Marko in Boston #2272957 05/08/14 06:58 PM
T
T
Hi every one !
Is it me or the MP7 output levels are pretty low ? ...I did an AB test with my motif and my fantom x8...Piano sound on the 3 keyboards , level 127 for each one , no effect ...Volume set to max on every keyboard , same jacks to the same mixer on the same stereo tracks...Same things played via midi file .The kawai is between 8-10db below the two others...that's rather significant !
For those who owns other keyboards , did you also notice the lack of volume on your MP7 ?

Fantom X8 , Motif es6 , CME UF80 v2 , Kawai MP7

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...
Marko in Boston #2272972 05/08/14 07:49 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I haven't A/B'd it with my other boards yet, but it seems like a fairly normal level. Just one thing: did you set both the MP7's mixer and master faders to max?

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the issues I'm having with mine, which are slowly morphing over time, believe it or not! I'm not sure whether I should risk a replacement unit or not. How are all you other MP7 users faring? Everything functioning normally?

mabraman, 2015
Marko in Boston #2272973 05/08/14 07:50 PM
T
T
Yes ,Voxpops , all faders to the max ...

Fantom X8 , Motif es6 , CME UF80 v2 , Kawai MP7

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...
voxpops #2272982 05/08/14 08:34 PM
P
P
Everything on my board is functioning normally.

If I was experiencing your reported problems it would be in the box awaiting replacement.My first MP6 back in 2010 had a couple off buttons which stuck down but was replaced and the new one had no problems and was as good when I sold it last month.

Output level seems OK on my setup.The Tonewheel organs are set way loud ditto the level of the built in backings.

I'm a bit scared to try out an expression pedal though eek

Page 23 of 80 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 79 80

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA58 display
by ChrisGoesPiano - 05/28/20 04:58 AM
Do you teach sight reading?
by Ubu - 05/28/20 04:37 AM
Tool Backpack
by TimM_980 - 05/28/20 12:47 AM
Looking for a piano
by ThePenist - 05/28/20 12:25 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,226
Posts2,963,043
Members97,209
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission