2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Yasu
I wonder how a DP would sound through a soundbar system (an integrated speaker/amp arrangement normally used to improve sound quality of flat panel TVs ilo a home theater system with a receiver and separate speakers)?

I think there is a problem of latency with some soundbar systems. I don't have direct experience, but I considered using something like that as a portable rig for personal monitoring, and then heard about the latency issue.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I don't know how well this Pioneer SB23W performs, but the specs look promising.

From my experience with Adam A5 Monitors (5") together with an Adam Sub 7, it is very hard to connect the sub to the lower frequencies of the desktop speakers, in order to get a natural music reproduction, especially for classic/jazz. (Same for a JVC home theatre surround system I have tested).
On the other hand the combination Adam A5/Sub 7 works fine for computer games and movie sound effects.

In hindsight I appreciated the preceding advice by the salesperson in the music store, i.e. to buy bigger speakers which would reproduce down to real 40Hz (or close) and avoid the use of a separate sub woofer.
HTH

L
L
Just now got the time to view your settings.

Voxpops:

Really nice. The piano stand is custom made?
It looks very neat ..well done.

MaxPiano: Very nice setup too...impressive job.

Thanks for the info, you give me nice examples to follow.

I hope you don't mind smile

Both using Yamaha?

Thanks lot

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by LarryMan
Voxpops:

Really nice. The piano stand is custom made?
It looks very neat ..well done.

Thanks, but it's a bit of a cheat, really! I had a Roland KSC-44 stand for my FP-50, and with the Roland stand being way more expensive than similar ones by other manufacturers (why?), no one wanted to buy it secondhand. So I went to Home Depot, bought a Rubbermaid 6' x 1' shelf, chopped it down to size, reinforced it with aluminum angle pieces (as the shelf simply sags even without the weight of a piano on it), and used the off-cut as a stop for the pedals. The piano sits a little high, but I raised my stool a little higher to compensate. I could probably rest the piano directly onto the Roland stand without the shelf (as it's almost exactly the same length), but it would be a little insecure without bolts to attach it.

Both using Yamaha?

I'm using Yamaha HS80Ms.

Last edited by voxpops; 05/06/14 01:08 PM.

mabraman, 2015
L
L
You did a good job.

Are you happy with the setting and the overall sound generated ?

Did you considered an MP11 instead of the MP7?

You mentioned..This is not an immediate "wow" piano, like some of the silky-smooth and warm, higher-end Rolands....

Can you elaborate on that please.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
You did a good job.

Thank you.

Are you happy with the setting and the overall sound generated ?

The overall sound quality is excellent - very clear and detailed. As for "the setting," I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Did you considered an MP11 instead of the MP7?

For about 10 seconds! While I would love to have an action that mimics an acoustic grand, I didn't want to pay $1,000 more for something with a fixed sound engine that will doubtless be improved upon in 3 or 4 years, nor can I cope with 70 lbs when I have to move the piano.

You mentioned..This is not an immediate "wow" piano, like some of the silky-smooth and warm, higher-end Rolands....

Can you elaborate on that please.

The lush Roland sound is very inviting - warm and sonorous - when you first play it, although it can sound a little muddy under certain conditions. On the other hand, a number of us have spoken of the Kawai sound being a little brittle or harsh out of the box. However, Kawai pianos also have a crystal-clear sound, and there is sufficient adjustment on the MP7 to dial in something appealing. In the end, no one digital piano is "perfect," and you have to choose based on your preferences and needs. I think the MP7 is going to be good for me, musically, as it will force me to really work on articulation, as every nuance is clearly audible, and also the sound (particularly the Jazz Grand) is growing on me as I get used to it.

mabraman, 2015
L
L
I really thank you (and all the people) for taking the time and answered my questions.

By setting, I mean the placement of the piano/speakers and the overall sound experience with your equipment.

Have a GREAT day

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I really thank you (and all the people) for taking the time and answered my questions.

You're welcome!
By setting, I mean the placement of the piano/speakers and the overall sound experience with your equipment.

Ah, I see. It's not perfect. I could do with more space behind the speakers (they're a bit too near the wall), but generally it's fine. The HS Yamaha's don't produce a "pretty" sound, but for mid-range speakers they're reasonably flat and faithful to what's being sent from the sound source. It will be interesting to try the Kawai with my normal gig rig which includes a sub-woofer. I'd also like to check it out with Electro-Voice ZXA1s, if that opportunity comes along in the future.

mabraman, 2015
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
LarryMan,
Take into the considaration, that a slab DP in fact takes exactly the same amount of place as the console. If you add speakers - unless you put them on piano, your place usage will be much bigger. If you don't need the possibility od hiding it behing you wardrobe, there is no sense for you to buy the stage piano and speakers.
You will get only ugliness with it, and, probably, you will never use the dozens of sound correction thing which are in stages pianos.

You know, do not be mistaken by the "having more place because of lacking of the stand". Keyboard dimensions are the same, so you have no place saved. Console piano in small stand like ES7 or ROland FP80 can get you more space due to it's open construction, hopwever, the real place is still the same.

And you got a lot of ugly cables behind it and you need a few cm for cables in the back.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission