Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
49 registered members (barbaram, Agent88, Beemer, EssBrace, EVC2017, Angelos58, CharlesXX, ALEXANDER DYKER, ahinton, 9 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Problem with connecting my new Casio Privia PX-350 to an Amp #2270009
05/02/14 03:10 AM
05/02/14 03:10 AM
R
Rick Hopkinson Offline OP
Rick Hopkinson  Offline OP
R

Good morning,
Thank you for your welcome to this forum.

Please may I ask for some advice/assistance on the above problem?
In the last couple of days I recieved delivery of my Casio Privia PX-350 and I'm wanting to put the sound through a guitar Amplifier in my home garage/studio.

I'm only using 1 jack cable into one Amp so I've tried connecting them the way that has worked for me on previous keyboards, ie: Connecting the jack into the PX-350 'Line out Left (Mono)' socket and into the input socket on the Amp.

Unfortunately I'm not getting any sound at all from the Amp but still get the sound from the PX-350 speakers (in the same way as if I hadn't plugged any jack cables into the line out socket).

This has confused and worried me but I have managed to get a signal to the Amp by plugging the jack into one of the 'Phones' sockets in the back of the PX-350.

My question is, should the 'line out Left (Mono)' socket be working in this situation and if so, is it correct to say I may have a faulty PX-350?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I'm aware that I need to address this matter quickly to ensure that I don't run out of time to return the Piano if I need to; Although I really hope not because I'm happy with the unit in general and after saving for 1 year to buy it too :-)

If my question is unclear then I will be happy to give more information.

P.S. on a side note, I've found the middle to top frequencies on the PX-350 to be a 'little' thin in sound so I'm going to try putting a Boss Guitar EQ pedal through the signal before it reaches the Amp. All being well this will allow me to have more control of the body of the sound.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me on this.

Kind Regards

Rick Hopkinson

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Problem with connecting my new Casio Privia PX-350 to an Amp [Re: Rick Hopkinson] #2270020
05/02/14 04:11 AM
05/02/14 04:11 AM
Cornwall. UK
funkycornwall Offline
funkycornwall  Offline

Cornwall. UK
This should work OK. Have you tried a different lead and also try connecting directly without the Boss pedal in case this is the problem. If I remember rightly the sound will still be outputted from the keyboard speakers as well as the amp. However if you want a higher sound output from the amp you need to mute the speakers in the Casio. If you plug a jack into the headphone connection when you also connect from the Line-out to the amp then the sound output level to the amp will be raised. You could keep a spare jackplug just for this purpose. However this is a separate issue and there is something wrong with either your lead, plugs or Boss unit that is causing a problem. It certainly should work.

Re: Problem with connecting my new Casio Privia PX-350 to an Amp [Re: funkycornwall] #2270142
05/02/14 10:24 AM
05/02/14 10:24 AM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by funkycornwall
. . . If I remember rightly the sound will still be outputted from the keyboard speakers as well as the amp. However if you want a higher sound output from the amp you need to mute the speakers in the Casio. If you plug a jack into the headphone connection when you also connect from the Line-out to the amp then the sound output level to the amp will be raised. You could keep a spare jackplug just for this purpose. However this is a separate issue and there is something wrong with either your lead, plugs or Boss unit that is causing a problem. It certainly should work.

+1.

Putting a plug into the "headphone" jack (either one) will do three things:

a) it will raise the level of the "Line Out" jacks;

b) it will remove the EQ that Casio uses to correct for the weakness of the built-in loudspeakers.

c) it will mute the internal loudspeakers.

You should be using the "Line In" amp input (and the "Line In" volume control), not the "Guitar In" input. The Casio "Line Out Left/Mono" jack is a 1/4" "TS" jack -- a standard "guitar cable" should work OK.

This setup should be really simple. You could check for output from the "Line Out" jack by plugging a pair of headphones into it. I think that (if everything is working right) one ear of the headphones should have sound, the other should be quiet.

. Charles

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 05/02/14 10:25 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Problem with connecting my new Casio Privia PX-350 to an Amp [Re: Rick Hopkinson] #2270848
05/04/14 06:14 AM
05/04/14 06:14 AM
R
Rick Hopkinson Offline OP
Rick Hopkinson  Offline OP
R

Hello FunkyCornwall & Charles Cohen :-)

Thank you to you both for your quick replies, I appreciate it.

I've taken on board what you have both said, so as a result I swapped the guitar cable for another one and plugged it into the left line out (mono) socket and then into the amp input. Thankfully this seems to have fixed the problem.

Why didn't I check this at the start I hear you say ( and hear myself say!) :-) .... Well I wrongly assumed that the original cable was fine because it was working ok when connected to the px-350's phones socket and the amp input socket. But as you know not when plugged into the line out left mono socket on the privia.

To be honest I don't really understand what this is but at the end of the day I'm relieved now that it's unlikely that my px-350 is faulty. I'd still like to know why this is though?

Just for the purpose of more detail of the current status... The setup is now working with a guitar cable going from the px-350 left line out mono socket to the input of the boss EQ pedal --> then on a second guitar cable out of the boss pedal to the amp input. Neither cable is the original one that I was using before - Also, the sound is coming out of both the px-350 speakers and the amp ( I'm ok with that but due to your advice I know I can boost the amp volume if I plug in some headphones or just a jack into the phones socket.

Going forward hopefully this working setup will continue to work for me and thank you for your help guys ;-)

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Kawai CN37 Worth The Extra Money?
by yarinch. 11/15/18 04:05 AM
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,338
Posts2,761,224
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission