2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
dmd, jotur…

I was referring to the piano bar here in the ABF. As far as what is posted on the PMMO website, 99% of those are posted to box and then linked to PMMO. I recently (last year) began the practice of double-posting and including Soundcloud, because the quality is so much richer. I also thought that format would allow Mike to comment instantly on posted tunes without going to the trouble of a full response in the PMMO forums. That idea never really caught on, though one or two members are also including a link to SoundCloud.

There are some great players in this forum, especially when you consider it's named: "Adult Beginners Forum." My beginning in no way compares to these! Lol!

By the way, is Elssa one and the same as the "Elssa" who was a member at PMMO? Beautiful playing!

Play On!
H.K.
cool

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by HisKidd
Rerun…

Thanks for the kind comments! Tell you what… I visited the "Piano Bar" forum here at PW, and I'm amazed at the quality of playing! As one famous poet said, "I have miles to go before I sleep."

Don…
Just for fun… one of my favorite jazz piano players (this guy has a Southern Gospel background which makes his playing really interesting) is 7notemode.
Amazingly good. You can check him out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/7notemode

Though I've never experimented with Skype, I have watched some of the master classes - especially those by Dave Frank. I really like his 15 elements video.

Rerun…

I've invited one of our favorite PMMO personalities to join us, and I've been promised that will happen. You can probably guess who, but I'll not mention the name just in case the name here is different than at PMMO. Should bring a lot of fun and knowledge to the forum. Great singing voice too! Only shortcoming is that this person plays barefooted! A PMMO member for quite a number of years, and in the elite company of Seaside, Honeycomb, SpongeBob, and you, Rerun!

Play On!
H.K.
cool

HK:

A PM member who's been photographed playing barefoot … hmmm, that must be the member leaving on a cruise tomorrow then swinging by London, Amsterdamn and Paris?

Members recordings at PianoMagic are mostly posted in each member's thread (if they decide to start a thread of their recordings) in the recital hall followed by comments from other members. But there are many recordings scattered all over creation, many of which will be in a thread started by Mike like “The Boogie Challenge” , the “Proud Mary” thread, the original Music Challenge, the “Go Rest on that Mountain Challenge”, The Concert Hall (about 20 member's recordings who wanted to participate), Mike's recordings at The Seadream Cinema, etc.

Larry, click this link:

http://www.pianomagic.com/index.asp

edit: Hk, I see you posted while I was typing. : )

Last edited by Rerun; 05/03/14 06:26 PM.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Good afternoon, Rerun…

Good guess on that new participant! I know you'll know the answer the the question I added to my earlier post. Is Elssa posting in the ABF Piano Bar one and the same as "Elssa" formerly a member at PMMO?

And… have you checked your e-mail? A special request of you, Kind Sir!

Play On!
H.K.
cool

Last edited by HisKidd; 05/03/14 06:37 PM.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

I had to pause and watch the derby ... yep,she was a member at PM when I joined. I'll check that email box in a sec and get back with you.

Pop

Rerun

[Linked Image]

E
E

There are some great players in this forum, especially when you consider it's named: "Adult Beginners Forum." My beginning in no way compares to these! Lol!

"Adult Beginners Forum." is just a name !! To submit to the Piano Bar in "Adult Beginners Forum." you just have be an Adult and a Beginner at some point in time not necessarily the present smile

Last edited by EM Deeka; 05/03/14 09:40 PM.
H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by EM Deeka

"Adult Beginners Forum." is just a name !! To submit to the Piano Bar in "Adult Beginners Forum." you just have be an Adult and a Beginner at some point in time not necessarily the present smile

Thanks, EM Deeka! Good to know!
cool

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good afternoon, Rerun…

Good guess on that new participant! I know you'll know the answer the the question I added to my earlier post. Is Elssa posting in the ABF Piano Bar one and the same as "Elssa" formerly a member at PMMO?

Just wanted to respond and say that I had progressed to the level I am before I joined PMMO but was curious as to what the site offered, so that is why I joined back then.

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I've had a grand time communicating though PM's with several PMMO former members, and a couple of interested members. I've learned a lot! Thanks for all the great responses!

Here's the question I'd like to ask, and have some of you answer. There are many "learn to play by ear" sites on the web. Aside from PMMO, from what other internet teachers/sites have you received the most helpful insights?

Over the past five years, I think I've sampled some of everything out there including, Hear and Play, Shinn, Hilton, Sprunger, Matt Stephens, Pianology, Dr. Keys, Mangold Project, Dave Frank, 7notemode, quaverbox, Piano by Elssa, et. al.

While PMMO is my basic go to material, I have something from all of the above. What are you own experiences? Who would you highly recommend for learning to play by ear, and why?

Play On!
H.K.
cool

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
May have been mentioned elsewhere, but there are a couple of new vids at quaverbox. Well done, Mr. SH!

1) The Am Chord
2) Piano Improvisation Lesson ("Less is More")

Play On!
H.K.

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Glad to see that Cats1 has joined the PW forums. She is an accomplished member of PMMO, with a great personality (and singing voice). Cats I see you received a royal welcome from a former PMMO member, Starr in another thread.

Please feel free to chime in here in the PMMO User's Forum. I would love to hear your evaluation of PMMO, as a long-standing member!

Welcome to the Piano World Forums!

Play On!
H.K.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I recently joined PMMO. I'm at the very beginning: still working through listening to the ups and downs in my list of songs. I'm pathetic at by-ear stuff so anything I learn will be up from where I am now.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Hey PS88, the PM method sneaks up on you ... one day soon you'll sit down and just start playing tunes as they come to mind and as your ears get better at what they are supposed to be doing, you'll start playing more complicated tunes you've always wanted to play without need for scores and lead sheets.

Rerun

[Linked Image]

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
PS88

PMMO technique really works if you'll be patient enough to do over and over again what seems so simple (playing songs where every other chord is C). It's all about training your ears to hear the sound of changing chords, and to anticipate the proper changes. By just rotating a list of songs you can play over and over, the ability to anticipate the upcoming chords becomes second nature. Given the fact that most any song can be played with a 1,4,5 chord, it's just an easy step from there to color tones and chord extensions! Stick with it, and I promise you'll reap a huge reward!

Play On!
H.K.

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Michael Anderson has stated on various occasions in the PianoMagic Forums that before he began his website, he taught a workshop during which attendees learned to play by ear. I understand that there was a book printed that is no longer available to the public. I've always wondered about the workshop. Any Piano World members who have ever attended one of these workshops? If so, how would you evaluate what you learned?

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Cats…

Congratulations on the birth of your first grandchild - Jaxson! Cat's doesn't have as much time these days to play her new MP7, so I've offered to take good care of if for her. Funny, she has yet to respond! Lol!

Play On!
H.K.

A
A
Hi,

I was wondering why in the FAQ for Piano Magic, Mike states that "If your primary interest is to play accompaniment (harmony and rhythm) while SINGING the melody, I would not recommend PianoMagic."

It would seem to me that if I want to play Billy Joel/Elton John-style music, a good course in playing by ear is just what I need since I don't want to rely on the printed sheet music (which is pretty complicated and well beyond my capability).

Most of the samples that I have seen of Piano Magic students have been in the "cocktail piano" style. However, Michael states that the skills taught in Piano Magic are applicable to nearly any genre of music.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It's been a while so I don't remember his explanation for this but I would assume it was because the hand positions he teaches are built on having the melody note as the top note in the right hand, starting with octaves. accompanying yourself while playing the melody (except occasionally) is not good accompaniment smile

A
A
Thanks, Starr Keys.

I really enjoyed your rendition of "My Funny Valentine" and many of your other videos on YouTube. If I wanted to do the sort of piano accompaniment you are doing, would you recommend Elssa's materials over Piano Magic (sorry, I know this is a Piano Magic thread).

Thanks,
Alan

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
It would seem to me that if I want to play Billy Joel/Elton John-style music, a good course in playing by ear is just what I need since I don't want to rely on the printed sheet music (which is pretty complicated and well beyond my capability).

Hey Alan, I haven't seen that comment. We have a number of singer members on board right now ... a professional singer joined last week. Mike has been a church pianist for many years and I think I remember a training video or two that he's done on accompaniment. But you're spot on about ear playing Joel/John stuff imo. You can come out of there playing a very wide range of music because he'll tune those ears up where it's possible. Even tho the skill set you're after may not require a melody line, he'll begin you with tunes you already know (melody/rhythm).

I've been there since 2007 and it's easily been worth 10 times the cost for me but I didn't start with any talent. If you want to learn to just sit down and play a lot of stuff by ear, I doubt you can find a place which can teach you quicker.

Last edited by Rerun; 08/06/14 07:02 PM.

Rerun

[Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Alan F
Thanks, Starr Keys.

I really enjoyed your rendition of "My Funny Valentine" and many of your other videos on YouTube. If I wanted to do the sort of piano accompaniment you are doing, would you recommend Elssa's materials over Piano Magic (sorry, I know this is a Piano Magic thread).

Thanks, Alan, for your kind words about my videos. I think Elssa's tutorials are a wonderful tool for accompanists as she focuses a lot on runs and fills which are what you need to embellish the pauses and responses to your lyric as a singer. But Elssa's materials are not for beginners. They are for intermediate and advanced players and assume a certain level of theory and familiarity with key signatures and the ability to identify scales and chords on the keyboard.

IMO PM is geared primarily to beginners and all the lesson tutorials teaching the basic method are in the key of C. Rerun is right, PM can teach you how to develop your ear and it will also give you the basic theory and keyboard skills you can use to develop your own style, but IME it is geared to soloing not accompanying. I agree, though, that once you develop your ear, it is much easier to learn to apply it to learning accompanying skills. So, PM might be a first stop on your way to learning this skill.

My one caution would be not to stay too long with the structured lesson stage of this method (I was at PM for a year) playing only in the key of C. If your primary goal is to accompany yourself, as a singer you will need to play in other keys beside C, which will not always be the best key for you to sing in, and the sooner the better. Most PM members need never play in any key but C and, with the exception of those who had previous musical training, I rarely heard any of them do it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission