2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
32 members (DSC, AmagicalFishy, Abdol, Emery Wang, bill5, Bett, Gene Nelson, Granyala, Crocus, 5 invisible), 387 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 80 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 79 80
Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD
Marko in Boston #2270609 05/03/14 04:36 PM
D
D
I´m also new to Kawai pianos. I like the sound of the mellow grand but I´m not so sure it´s good in a band with bass, guitar and drums.

But I must say that I like the MP7 and the more I play the more I like it:)

Marko in Boston #2270614 05/03/14 04:55 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very first impressions after setting up and playing around for ten minutes:
Looks
What a beautiful keyboard! It's really nice to have an instrument that has been thoughtfully designed using quality materials. And it's also really nice to have the controls laid out in a functional and easy-to-use way. I really don't want this to get beat-up on gigs!
Sound
I agree pretty much with bryanstern. This is not an immediate "wow" piano, like some of the silky-smooth and warm, higher-end Rolands, but it has a very clear tone that I think would sit very nicely in an ensemble setting. I can totally understand why Dave Ferris would like it, and I agree with him that it is a significant step up from the MP6. I need to spend time with it and get to know it.
Glitches
Unfortunately, I've already experienced one glitch. I'd gone to the first EP sound and added the second EFX parameter (phaser), and when I wanted to return to AP, nothing I pressed would change the sound. When I selected the Concert Grand, the screen changed to the CG parameters, but the sound remained stuck on EP with phaser: same when trying to change to other sounds. In the end I used the panic button and that restored the MP7 to its
default state. A little worrying... I haven't checked the OS version yet, but I will upgrade to the latest version when I have time.

EDIT: Just realized this may have been operator error! I may have inadvertently clicked the SUB1 button while trying to change the MAIN sound. Not certain, but being an MP7 noob, it would not surprise me that I pressed something I shouldn't have. Anyway, I updated the OS, and all seems fine.

I will come back in a few days and provide a reasonably in-depth report. In the meantime, my overall impression is that this is one heck of a big bang for your buck!

Last edited by voxpops; 05/03/14 06:20 PM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
voxpops #2270621 05/03/14 05:11 PM
H
H
…And that's what voxpops has to say… (the jury on voxpox is still out!) Lol!

Play On!
H.K.
cool

P.S. That's a beautiful setup!

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
Marko in Boston #2270624 05/03/14 05:22 PM
vox: That's positively gorgeous! Does she sound as good as she looks? Also, what speakers do you have? What type of mixing board is present? Any other components in your set up?

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Pianoteq 6.0
My motto: Play and Let Play!
Marko in Boston #2270626 05/03/14 05:22 PM
B
B
Richard (voxpops)
Congrats. Have fun my friend.
Bryan

petes1 #2270631 05/03/14 05:32 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by petes1
vox: That's positively gorgeous!

Yes, it is!

Does she sound as good as she looks?

The sound is very clear. I've literally only had a few minutes with it, but will report back later when I can evaluate more thoroughly.

Also, what speakers do you have? What type of mixing board is present? Any other components in your set up?

At the moment I'm running through Yamaha HS80M speakers, which are very honest and unforgiving, so it's a great test for the MP7. There's an Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 mixer in the chain, which allows me to add other instruments and route everything through to my Mac (and vice versa).

mabraman, 2015
bryanstern #2270632 05/03/14 05:32 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by bryanstern
Richard (voxpops)
Congrats. Have fun my friend.
Bryan

Many thanks, Bryan. You, too!

mabraman, 2015
voxpops #2270647 05/03/14 05:53 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Congrats Richard. Nice looking setup. Yeah isn't that a beautiful keyboard ? One of the nicest, if not the nicest one I've seen.

It makes you not want to take it out and get all scuffed up. The CP4 on the other hand...has that utilitarian look to it where you wouldn't mind a few scratches.. grin

I'd like to spend more time with it too. It did seem like the piano had a good amount of sustain to it. One of my "acid" tests, at least for pop type stuff, is to play that synth lick (on piano) which occurs frequently from Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" while playing LH bass with a drum groove. If I don't need a ton of pedaling to connect all the 16th notes, and the line itself still sounds full against just the LH bass, I know it has good sustain.

Again I thought the sound on single note jazz lines was a tad harsh..at least through the particular Sony phones I was using. And again with some eq and some judicious editing , through my speakers and DI/preamp - it might not seem at all that strident as I experienced on first play.

I thought all the sounds I played - AP, EP, basses - really connected well with the action.

Yes looking forward to your review on it...enjoy. smile

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Dave Ferris #2270657 05/03/14 06:24 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Congrats Richard. Nice looking setup. Yeah isn't that a beautiful keyboard ? One of the nicest, if not the nicest one I've seen.

It makes you not want to take it out and get all scuffed up. The CP4 on the other hand...has that utilitarian look to it where you wouldn't mind a few scratches.. grin

I'd like to spend more time with it too. It did seem like the piano had a good amount of sustain to it. One of my "acid" tests, at least for pop type stuff, is to play that synth lick (on piano) which occurs frequently from Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" while playing LH bass with a drum groove. If I don't need a ton of pedaling to connect all the 16th notes, and the line itself still sounds full against just the LH bass, I know it has good sustain.

Again I thought the sound on single note jazz lines was a tad harsh..at least through the particular Sony phones I was using. And again with some eq and some judicious editing , through my speakers and DI/preamp - it might not seem at all that strident as I experienced on first play.

I thought all the sounds I played - AP, EP, basses - really connected well with the action.

Yes looking forward to your review on it...enjoy. smile

Thanks, Dave. The slight harshness doesn't surprise me. The piano samples are from the same session that also went into the MP6 and MP10 which also exhibited that characteristic. I think that the original source piano must have had a fairly strident tone. Voicing to "Mellow 1" takes a little of the edge off.

mabraman, 2015
Marko in Boston #2270664 05/03/14 06:50 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Congrats VP! Thanks for posting the pics of your setup too.

I agree with you about the MP7's appearance - very classy, and truly looks like a little brother of the MP11 (rather than a distant cousin like the MP6). When I saw the first prototype board I told the designer it was the best looking Kawai I'd ever seen.

Regarding the glitch, have you been able to repeat this? Your edit does suggest user error. Please ensure that the correct zone is selected (the highlighted tab in the bottom of the display).

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Kawai James #2270674 05/03/14 07:10 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Congrats VP! Thanks for posting the pics of your setup too.

Thanks, James! Couldn't resist posting the pics as it is the most beautiful DP I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot!!!).

Regarding the glitch, have you been able to repeat this? Your edit does suggest user error. Please ensure that the correct zone is selected (the highlighted tab in the bottom of the display).

I managed to repeat it once, but I can't remember the exact sequence of button presses. I think it does have something to do with the SUB. If I can work out what's going on (or more accurately, what I'm doing), I'll let you know.

Haven't had a chance to study the manual in depth yet, but the parts I have looked at were very clear and well written. One thing that needs pointing out is that users should refer to the revised update procedure on the Kawai website rather than the one in the manual, as that only asks the user to transferthe MP7-040.SYS file to the USB stick, whereas the 1.03 update contains an additional file that must also be transferred.

mabraman, 2015
voxpops #2270686 05/03/14 07:27 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by voxpops
One thing that needs pointing out is that users should refer to the revised update procedure on the Kawai website rather than the one in the manual, as that only asks the user to transferthe MP7-040.SYS file to the USB stick, whereas the 1.03 update contains an additional file that must also be transferred.

Yes, that's a good point. The printed owner's manual currently included is a few revisions older than the latest PDF. The update instructions are also included on the KJ downloads page (as part of the changelog).

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Marko in Boston #2270766 05/03/14 11:46 PM
P
P
I really like your setup Voxpops. Wish my was as organised.

I've had my MP7 a couple of days now, so I thought I would share a couple of things.

I love the look and feel of this piano. I agree with Voxpops' comment about not getting it beat up on gigs. It would be a shame to scuff up such a nice unit.

The interface is intuitive and easy to use. I have played around with various settings, particularly with the APs and EPs, and although I don't really know what I'm doing (hopefully that will come later) I've come up with various enhanced configurations. Of course, one of the first things I looked for in the manual was the process for doing a factory reset. Wouldn't want the concert grand preset permanently sounding like a chipmunk!

The keyboard action is so light (and quiet) compared to the Casio that I've just put out to pasture. I don't know whether everyone considers this a good thing, but I find it suits me. My wife appreciates the lower volume keyboard bashing during headphone-based practice too.

There's also something about sitting at this piano that makes one feel as if one is sitting at a "real" (acoustic) piano. I don't know if it's the build quality or some subconscious association of the Kawai brand, but it's a feeling I didn't really get with the Casio (although loyalty dictates that I stress that the Casio was a fine piano - just not in the same league as the MP7).

Still early days for my exploration. I'm getting lots of enjoyment from my new piano.

Patrick

Kawai MP7

[Linked Image]
Tritok #2270817 05/04/14 02:51 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Tritok
Ok , sorry to bring bad news , but I have an another problem with my expression pedal this time (boss-fv500L , very common, I use it with all my others keyboards with no problems)...
In SYSTEM , EXP curve : Normal , EXP Pol.:Normal , calibration done... In Edit Mode, EXP pedal on ,EXP assign : Expression (of course)
The problem : The Expression Pedal does act as one , but also change parameters in the main screen , the ones assigned to Knobs(for instance in Concert grand , it changes the value in stereo width, or random parameters in the screen !!!) , and also illuminates the led beside the mod Wheel !
Can anyone can reproduce this issue ?
Have I again misread the manual ?

Yesterday I was eventually able to test drive an MP7 at a local shop and since I also own a FV500L I took it with me: I am sorry to say that I could reproduce the issue described above

I also tried with another brand of EXP pedal (TC Electronics) at the shop to be sure it wasn't an issue specific to the FV: same results.

I believe this is a software problem since an electrical incompatibility (the value and wiring of the EXP pedal pot) would in the worst case cause an error in the value (or no value) but not messing up with parameters on the screen as I and Tritok experienced.
Hope Kawai will fix it in next FW release.

Note: apparently the issue was not showing soon after poweron, using the Concert Grand 1 default sound, but as I switched to El. piano 1 it started to happen and continued also when going back to Concert Grand 1 or any other sound. I also tried Factory Reset and Exp calibration etc. but nothing changed.

Last edited by Maxpiano; 05/04/14 02:52 AM.
Marko in Boston #2270929 05/04/14 11:06 AM
L
L
Great setup voxpops! Here's mine, with the MP7 temporarily in my bedroom studio to get the hang of it.

[Linked Image]

Kawai James, any news on this one?
Originally Posted by Lennert
In the video, I use the stock setups 1-2-A (Bright Piano) and 5-2-C (String Paddy). I think the reverb/effect settings don't match, since it's piano versus strings. It would be great though, to have the parameters from the first sound still present for the notes you hit before switching sounds.

And I can confirm the issue with the EXP pedal changing random parameters in the main screen.

Loving the device overall. My MP5 looks old now.

Lennert #2270940 05/04/14 11:38 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by Maxpiano

Yesterday I was eventually able to test drive an MP7 at a local shop and since I also own a FV500L I took it with me: I am sorry to say that I could reproduce the issue described above

I also tried with another brand of EXP pedal (TC Electronics) at the shop to be sure it wasn't an issue specific to the FV: same results.

I believe this is a software problem since an electrical incompatibility (the value and wiring of the EXP pedal pot) would in the worst case cause an error in the value (or no value) but not messing up with parameters on the screen as I and Tritok experienced.
Hope Kawai will fix it in next FW release.

Note: apparently the issue was not showing soon after poweron, using the Concert Grand 1 default sound, but as I switched to El. piano 1 it started to happen and continued also when going back to Concert Grand 1 or any other sound. I also tried Factory Reset and Exp calibration etc. but nothing changed.

Originally Posted by Lennert

And I can confirm the issue with the EXP pedal changing random parameters in the main screen.

Lennert I see you have Boss FV500L too ...feels good not being alone anymore !

Last edited by Tritok; 05/04/14 11:47 AM.

Fantom X8 , Motif es6 , CME UF80 v2 , Kawai MP7

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...
Marko in Boston #2270943 05/04/14 11:45 AM
T
T
Maxpiano suggested me this :

Originally Posted by Maxpiano
Meanwhile, an idea for another test; you can try to use the FV500L with a Y cable (stereo - 2 x mono) connected this way:

- stereo jack to MP7
- 1 x mono jack to input L of FV500L
- 1 x mono jack to output L of FV500L

I had to do this way when I had stability problems (but only on the value!) using the FV with a Studiologic Acuna (this instability it is a known issue of the Acuna not a problem of the FV)

NOTE: swapping the mono jacks will reverse the "polarity" so you can try 2 combinations (as an alternative, or change the polarity through the MP7 system menu)

I've tried this...and it works !!! No problem with random parameters being changed on the screen !! So , what do you think ? Is it a software problem or an electronic conception problem ?
Of course , it works ,but it's not a solution...

Fantom X8 , Motif es6 , CME UF80 v2 , Kawai MP7

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...
Tritok #2270987 05/04/14 01:49 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by Tritok
Maxpiano suggested me this :

Thanks! This will bridge the gap until it's fixed in the OS (if that's possible).

Does anyone know if there's an online library or exchange for setup presets (.km6 files)?

I've made one for Narcotic by Liquido.
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/zagny/mp7-narcotic-1/s-zqAxV
KM6: https://app.box.com/s/vmj96ak2vh2k5flj6lq0

Kawai MP5 & MP7; Nord Electro 5D 73sw; Roland VK8 & AX-Synth & FR1
Kawai MP7 setup exchange: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KawaiMP7/
Tritok #2270994 05/04/14 02:03 PM
F
F
I'm just starting to explore my MP7. The Concert Grand sounds great using my AKG 271 headphones but a little brittle in the mids through my Event TR-8 monitors. I'll have to play with the settings but the Jazz Piano seems to be fine with the TR8s. I like to mix my DP with a sampled piano on my iMac for just playing at home. The DP eliminates latency and the sampled piano usually adds more warmth and fullness to the sound but I'll be using it mostly as a DAW keyboard controller.

I have the MP7 users manual on my iPad Air by creating a PDF of the online manual and adding it to my Dropbox folder for cloud access.

I really like what you can do with the solo voice patches. I might try using them on one of my concoctions.

Marko in Boston #2270997 05/04/14 02:10 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I have to report that there is a problem with randomly changing parameters, without anything other than the standard damper pedal being attached. I suspect this is due to oversensitive (or "jumpy") pots. While trying to dial in settings, for example using knob "C" to adjust DCF decay, I would notice random parameter shifts in other fields. And when stepping forward or back through pages, I would find that a bunch of other parameters had changed without my touching anything! Similarly, while adjusting EQ, I could see the highlighted pot occasionally become one other than the one I had just been adjusting, or was about to adjust. This never happened with the MP6, if memory serves.

mabraman, 2015
Page 21 of 80 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 79 80

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you like your slow close fallboard?
by Lady Bird - 07/06/20 12:16 AM
Nektar Impact GX61 Controller
by bill5 - 07/05/20 09:32 PM
New Song I heard and just saw the move
by piano_primo - 07/05/20 08:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,053
Posts2,977,311
Members97,671
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission