2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello everyone.

My school let me take a video of my recent concerto performance! Here it is. Comments are greatly appreciated. I felt pretty good about this performance.

Donald Lee III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3XV9SPy0JA

Donald Lee III
BM '16 James Madison University
MM '18 Cincinnati Conservatory of Music

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As well you should!!! Bravo!!! Bravo!!!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You should feel VERY GOOD about it. Bravo !!!!!!

Pretty amazing work for a college sophomore !!!!!!!

Looking forward to your future performances Donald !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I am currently polishing up this piece, so I am very, very familiar with it.

My only question for now is should we be analytically critical so that the student may learn, or this going to be another cheerleading thread? If so, then I will it there, for now.

And, with all due respect to Carey, Carl Reinecke, Wilhelm Backhaus, Walter Gieseking, and Artur Rubenstein were all "on the road" as touring concert pianists well before this man's age.

OP Offline
Oh no, not a cheerleading thread =)

But...
1) As in the past, I don't think I will benefit from any of your criticism, Louis.
2)
And, with all due respect to Carey, Carl Reinecke, Wilhelm Backhaus, Walter Gieseking, and Artur Rubenstein were all "on the road" as touring concert pianists well before this man's age.

Your point is...? All Carey said was that he will be looking to my future performances. There will be many more.

Donald

Donald Lee III

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by DonaldLee

But...
1) As in the past, I don't think I will benefit from any of your criticism, Louis.
Donald

Enough said!

And, for the record, a great pianist by the name of Patrick Widhalm played this piece in performance at NTSU (Carey was there), when he was a "sophomore," and it was at a much higher level than yours. That was 1971, Senor!

Most importantly, as Carey can attest, there are two kinds of teachers for talented students. There are those who are there to "go along for the ride," and get to say that this contest winner studied under me. And, then there are those who really care about the whole picture, in regards a human being's actual future, as a person, much less as an artist.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta

But...
Donald

Enough said!

And, for the record, a great pianist by the name of Patrick Widhalm played this piece in performance at NTSU (Carey was there), when he was a "sophomore," and it was at a much higher level than yours. That was 1971, Senor!

Most importantly, as Carey can attest, there are two kinds of teachers for talented students. There are those who are there to "go along for the ride," and get to say that this contest winner studied under me. And, then there are those who really care about the whole picture, in regards a human being's actual future, as a person, much less as an artist.

Louis, you can imply that I'm a 'nothing' pianist all you want to, but you will not speak badly about my professor. He is a great man and a great pedagogue. He actually teaches, and doesn't waste time talking about rolled chords and mannerisms. That is what you do, which is why I don't respect you as a critic.

Donald Lee III

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Louis, you can imply that I'm a 'nothing' pianist all you want to, but you will not speak badly about my professor. He is a great man and a great pedagogue. He actually teaches, and doesn't waste time talking about rolled chords and mannerisms. That is what you do, which is why I don't respect you as a critic.

Well said, Donald!

And congratulations on a very fine concerto performance!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
And yet again Mr. Podesta has crossed the line.

Regards,

Polyphonist
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
...(Carey was there)... as Carey can attest...
I have a great respect for Carey. His posts are always thoughtful and helpful, and his comments on the playing of others are positive and generous. He is also humble about his (considerable) playing skill. So why do you keep dragging him into your sometimes rather mean-spirited posts?

Du holde Kunst...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Donald, Great playing! This is maybe the most fun anyone can have with the Dies Irae laugh And you really have to hold your own against the orchestra here... which you certainly do. Congratulations.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
A very professional performance. There is more back and forth between the orchestra and the soloist in this composition than is usual in a concerto, and you handled it beautifully, keeping in close communication with the conductor. Your technique was confident and clean. I like to think we'll be seeing you in a few years on the competition circuit.

Fazioli 228.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Another great performance, Donald! I was very happy that you were allowed to record it. And I'm sure it must have been quite a refreshing change (from playing at the retirement center) to finally have an orchestra behind you. Congratulations!

(Of course, Louis was probably playing Totentanz at age ten. But this is still a great accomplishment, Donald, even at your advanced age.) grin

T
T
Hi Donald, you may be very proud about this performance! Of course I'm just a stupid "cheerleader" according to the opinion of the greatest pianist and philosopher alive, but at least I still dare performing instead of just uttering pathetic and mean words, so I know from my own experience what it means to sit in front of an audience and to play such a difficult piece! Congratulations, you are a brave man with great skills!

F
F
Ok. Lang Lang and Lisitsa are famous only because of the so-called "cheer-leading" you're talking about. So what's wrong with praising a person? These are SINCERE COMPLIMENTS!!!
Don't pay any attention to that grouchy envious post by Podesta, Donald! I think you are amazing! truly. And I am really picky. smile Can't wait to hear another one of your performances! And hopefully, I will one day post one of mine and I hope that you will also give me sincere opinions. (Although I am just beginning my freshman yr and am not as good as you!) smile

*Fiona*

"If music be food of love, play on!"
P.S. I am in love with Beethoven, infatuated with Liszt, and crazy about Chopin!
And when he behaves, Rachmaninoff is my darling! ;p
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Bumping a worthier post.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Donald, this is one of favourite recordings now, I wish I had time to post measure by measure all the things I like about your playing here of the Totentanz - probably you yourself know what all these things are. The orchestra often times and especially involving the brass gives a more dark colouration than usually is heard. This makes one wonder who is conducting.

Great work Donald!! I played this piece a couple of years ago when I was a sophomore in college in well and I know how much of a nightmare most parts of it are. Fantastic job.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I play piano a little bit and know a thing or two about playing piano. In my sincere opinion, this is a very fine and solid performance. It's a real pleasure to listen to.

Looking forward to see more performances from you, Donald!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission