2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (An Old Square, 8ude, Charline, 36251, btcomm, Bellicapelli, 21 invisible), 728 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 80 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 79 80
puff #2269274 04/30/14 07:32 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by puff
Relative volumes of sounds and setups are going to be hit or miss until you re-program them.

Yep.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
P

Happy May morning to you James!

Well soon it will be too here in Oxford.

So far Ive done more programing (mostly sounds)than I have played music on this board.There are a few, to me counter intuitive things Im not clear about with the MP7 to do with the EQ and Offset and saving different sounds in existing sound slots but i'll save that for later when you've sorted out all these newbie 'problems'

Can we petition for individual briliance settings PER NOTE to be included in the next update?

No Really.

puff #2269307 04/30/14 08:54 PM
M
M

Can we petition for individual briliance settings PER NOTE to be included in the next update?

No Really.
LOL. How about play better? laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P

Well that too.
Its OK for you MP11 owners who have your brilliance setting and probably dont even play with it.
I think if hadn't gone down the road of buying electronic instuments 17 years ago I could now be playing my own Petrof grand and probably be a better player as well.
But then James might be out of a job.

puff #2269319 04/30/14 09:17 PM
M
M

Well that too.
Its OK for you MP11 owners who have your brilliance setting and probably dont even play with it.
I think if hadn't gone down the road of buying electronic instuments 17 years ago I could now be playing my own Petrof grand and probably be a better player as well.
But then James might be out of a job.
Well, we wouldn't want that. Carry on!

Btw, I have played with the brilliance setting. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P

Night-Night Morodiene,

Im going to dream that I'm performing John Ireland's E flat Piano Concerto on your Petrof.

(You will be turning my music!)

L
L
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Ah, I see. I don't believe this is a bug.

If in 'SOUND' mode you set the MAIN zone level fader to a relatively low position (e.g. 1/4), then switch to 'SETUP' mode which selects a memory stored with a different level position, there will be change in volume. I believe most instruments that feature some kind of 'user preset' functionality (including all other MPs) behave in this way.

Dear James,

Thanks for the reply. I actually thought about this when I was in bed, but I was too sleepy to edit my post. However, there's still some things to sort out I guess.

Here's a video of why I can't use my MP7 for a gig yet. Video is hidden on YouTube, I don't want to discourage people to buy this beautiful piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uexdC4r8R-4

The sound changes when switching to another instrument. This doesn't happen on my MP5. It would just let the first sound/setup sustain until the damper is released.

I hope you can now hear what I meant.

PS: OS is up to date (1.03)

Last edited by Lennert; 05/01/14 05:47 AM.
Lennert, do the two SETUPs you are using both have the same reverb/effect settings?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
L
L
In the video, I use the stock setups 1-2-A (Bright Piano) and 5-2-C (String Paddy). I think the reverb/effect settings don't match, since it's piano versus strings. It would be great though, to have the parameters from the first sound still present for the notes you hit before switching sounds.

Kawai MP5 & MP7; Nord Electro 5D 73sw; Roland VK8 & AX-Synth & FR1
Kawai MP7 setup exchange: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KawaiMP7/
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Lennert
It would be great though, to have the parameters from the first sound still present for the notes you hit before switching sounds.

This is a constant gripe. Even though some keyboards from the '80s had "patch remain," we are still seeing boards that claim to be pro level that don't function this way. It really isn't good enough to have the sound remain but the effects change, since the result is displeasing and ugly. I'm wondering why it's so difficult for the programmers to allow the current settings to remain until key-off commands have been received for the outgoing sound, but I assume it requires an extra, unused part of the effects DSP through which to route the incoming sound and effects.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
P
P
Got my MP7! I made a 180 Kilometre round trip to pick it up. I must be hooked. My wife has started to complain about being a "piano widow".

Patrick

Kawai MP7

[Linked Image]
B
B
Just got my MP7. Set it up. A few things to say, at this very early point. My last DP was the Yamaha CP4. The MP7 is light years better looking. It doesn't feel cheap like the CP4. More solid. Somewhat heavier (but thats the price you pay for a more quality construction). A good deal less expensive. The Jazz Grand, unedited, sounds pretty darn nice. The action is lighter and definitely different than the CP4. I really liked the keyboard on the CP4. It'll take some time to form a definitive opinion on this, but I think I will like the action.

30 minutes is way too early to give even a mini review. But, the MP7 makes a very good initial impression. More later.
Bryan

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by bryanstern
Just got my MP7.

Congratulations, Bryan - and Patrick!

Mine's due to arrive tomorrow. It'll be interesting to compare our experiences...

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
B
B
Thanks, Richard.
Once again. Hope you really like it.

Doing some editing on EPs. Nice. Got my VST EPs playing on MP7. Sounds/works great. Got Vintage D going on MP7 but experiencing definitive latency I never had before on CP4. Haven't figured that one out yet.
Bryan

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I just returned from taking my wife to LAX for a trip to STL this weekend.

As I was on the way home, I stopped in at Pierre's Fine Pianos in W. LA and lo and behold...he had a new MP7 he pulled out of a box for me.

Wow...very nice. Terrific action and piano sounds. I just played it with some Sony phones he had there but they were good quality. I didn't get to all the sounds (there sure are a lot of them) but mainly focused on the APs ,some of the EPs, the basses and drums.

I might have liked the Studio grand, jazz grand or mellow grand a tad more then the default Concert on first play. I'm sure through speakers everything takes on a different character. The rhodes sounded good as did the wurlis. The Ac. bass wasn't as strong as the CP4 or RD800 but still very good and certainly useable for LH bass duties.

On to the most important thing - the drums. grin I have to say Kawai has the best sounding grooves/patterns for Latin. The Afro/Cuban pattern, I believe under the "Jazz" category", was absolutely killing ! As were the Bossas and sambas. This thing's a latin groove rhythm monster...I loved it !

Listening to the Ac bass/Piano split...the piano sounded a tad harsh in upper registers. This was for single note jazz solos/lines. Not so much for chording. I didn't mess at all with EQ, so this can probably be smoothed out I'd guess. Could have been the phones too.

All the drum patterns I scrolled through were perfect for a solo gig where I do the LH bass/drum/vocal thing. They covered many different styles, very well. I spent a lot of time listening to all the patterns, the sound of the drums/cymbals, and maybe only came upon a couple, at most, that had a cheese factor. I do wish you could assign the drum sounds to one of the sliders for volume, but Pierre spoke with a Kawai guy, and apparently you can't.

Just has a piano it would be fine, I think, in a jazz trio context. You never really know about this stuff till you get it out on the gig, through your speakers and hear it with the rhythm section. But I thought the piano had plenty of sustain and a nice tone. Much better then the previous generation MP6.

Build quality is the best I've seen in any DP released in the last year. Hands down, not even debatable. Super attractive with the wood panel ends and black. Yeah it's defintley a winner.

I did just purchase a CP4, but if I can sell my Nord Piano 2, this MP7, the RD800 and still considering re-buying the CP5, are on the shortlist because of the drum patterns for solo gigs.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 05/03/14 01:31 AM.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, CP4
B
B
Thanks so much Dave. Excited to see your initial feelings on the MP7. I have been playing it for several hours now and my excitement for it has grown by leaps and bounds. I heard that same harshness in upper registers when first playing it, but can't find the harshness now.

I have really warmed to the Grand (which I was a bit cool to). Now it is sounding great to me. I must say, after several hours, I really like the acoustic pianos. I returned a CP4 several months ago and must say that I totally prefer these Kawai APs. I needed to do a good deal of editing on the CP4 AP#1 to tone it down for my use. I liked #2, but still greatly prefer the MP7 APs. I could never come to peace with #3 no matter how much editing I did.

I am also happily surprised with the Rhodes on the MP7. Sounds great with little work. I haven't tried the Acoustic Bass/Piano split yet. That was something the CP4 really nailed though.

I am still figuring out the whole editing thing on the MP7 but I like it so much more than editing on the CP4. It just feels much more flexible and more modern. The whole thing just looks and feels so much better than the CP4. And, this thing is just so good looking and solid, something that couldn't be said about the CP4.

More later, but just wanted to add these few thoughts.
Bryan

Y
Y
@Dave Ferris, i told you, you'll love the MP7. You should definitely mess around with the virtual technician long enough, and build your desired piano sound. I needed quite a time till i found my settings. But then i was very satisfied.
I wished MP11 has those drums as well. Would be nice to practice with.

Regarding the build quality: yes, the MP7/11 are the best built DPs out there atm. You really feel, that you have a premium instrument under your hands. Those wood sides are so gorgeous.

Last edited by yonatan; 05/02/14 11:42 PM.
K
K
Originally Posted by yonatan
I wished MP11 has those drums as well. Would be nice to practice with.

The MP11 and MP7 have identical metronome/drum features according to the specifications?

D
D
Bryanstern. What parameters are you changing to get a warmer sound?

/David

B
B
David
I haven't done much editing at all on the APs. I really like the Jazz Grand as it has more warmth to my ear than the Concert Grand. I have never played a Kawai (in any form). Fortunately, I really like the sound and am quite happy. The sound is crisp and clean. It took several hours of playing for me to "warm" to the sound.
But, I find this to always be the case with new acoustics. I play both the VST Ravenscroft and Galaxie Vintage D and each took time for me to "warm" to. I didn't really like either at first, that much. Yes, I warmed up the sound of both with editing, but beauty comes in many forms. I love both of them now, although each is very different.

So, what I am kind of saying, is that I am giving the Kawai APs time for me to get really used to them before diving in to editing mode.

None of this probably helps, but it's my two cents.
Bryan

Page 20 of 80 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 79 80

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,166
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission