2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Good morning folks,

Kawai Japan has recently issued software updates for the new MP11 and MP7 stage pianos.

These updates (v1.06 and v1.03 respectively) add individual 88-key tuning and volume adjustment, damper pedal calibration, and a new 'Fixed' EFX switching mode. There are also improvements to the Pure Major/Minor temperaments, SysEx handling, and a number of other display/operation tweaks. Crucially, these updates also fix a MIDI recorder bug when using 'Panel' playback mode.

In addition, the MP11 update includes improvements to the Key-off Effect, Amp Drive, and Damper Noise parameters (which were already present with the initial MP7 software), along with tweaked SETUP+/SETUP- behaviour. Finally, there is also a fix to the Dynamics setting which could occasionally influence the selected touch curve.

The full MP11 and MP7 changelogs are listed below.

MP11 changelog:
V1.06 (March 2014)
- Added: 88 Key Volume function to SYSTEM menu, allowing volume adjustments for individually keys.
[SYSTEM] --> UserEdit : KeyVolume
- Added: 88 Key Stretch Tuning function to SYSTEM menu, allowing stretch tuning for individually keys.
[SYSTEM] --> UserEdit : Stretch
- Added: Right Pedal Calibration function to SYSTEM menu, for calibration of other manufacturer’s damper pedals.
[SYSTEM] --> Pedal (page 1/3 or 2/3) --> [R.P.CAL] (F4 button)
- Added: EffSW Mode = "Fixed" to SYSTEM menu, allowing sounds to be changed without affecting current EFX settings.
[SYSTEM] --> Utility (page 1/3) --> EffSW Mode
- Improved: Pure temperament (Maj/min) adjusted.
- Improved: Key Off Effect setting adjusted to improve the sound.
- Improved: Amp Drive setting adjusted.
- Improved: Damper Noise volume is adjusted.
- Improved: The name of the Rotary effect’s ‘Vib&Cho’ type is changed to ‘+Vib/Cho’.
- Improved: Pedal Setup+/Setup– functionality to ‘jump’ banks when incrementing/decrementing SETUP memory.
The first memory of the next bank is selected after reaching the last memory of the current bank. E.g.
SETUP+: A-6 --> A-7 --> A-8 --> B-1 --> B-2 --> B-3
SETUP–: B-3 --> B-2 --> B-1 --> A-8 --> A-7 --> A-6
- Improved: Received Sys-EX Parameter Send messages now also change knob assigned parameters in real-time.
- Improved: Various other operation/display improvements.
- Fixed: Some cases of sound settings not recording correctly when using the MIDI Recorder in Panel Play mode.
- Fixed: Plural Sounding notes of the same key number received via MIDI are all truncated by one Note Off message.
- Fixed: The Dynamics setting would occasionally not change correctly, influencing the selected touch curve.

V1.03 (October 2013)
- First production version.

MP7 changelog:
V1.03 (May 2014)
- Fixed: The 'Quick Compare' function did not work correctly.

V1.02 (March 2014)
- Added: 88 Key Volume function to SYSTEM menu, allowing volume adjustments for individually keys.
[SYSTEM] --> UserEdit : KeyVolume
- Added: 88 Key Stretch Tuning function to SYSTEM menu, allowing stretch tuning for individually keys.
[SYSTEM] --> UserEdit : Stretch
- Added: Right Pedal Calibration function to SYSTEM menu, for calibration of other manufacturer’s damper pedals.
[SYSTEM] --> Pedal (page 1/3 or 2/3) --> [R.P.CAL] (F4 button)
- Added: EffSW Mode = "Fixed" to SYSTEM menu, allowing sounds to be changed without affecting current EFX settings.
[SYSTEM] --> Utility (page 1/3) --> EffSW Mode
- Improved: Pure temperament (Maj/min) adjusted.
- Improved: Received Sys-EX Parameter Send messages now also change knob assigned parameters in real-time.
- Improved: Various other operation/display improvements.
- Fixed: Some cases of sound settings not recording correctly when using the MIDI Recorder in Panel Play mode.

V1.00 (January 2014)
- First production version.

These software updates and update instructions can be downloaded directly from Kawai Japan at the the following URL:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/updates.html

MP11 and MP7 owners are encouraged to update their instruments to use this latest software version. We also recommend that users backup any custom settings, SOUNDs, SETUPs, etc. before applying the update.

After updating the system software, you may also wish to download the latest MP11/MP7 owner's manual PDFs (which explain the new 'User Key Volume' and 'User Stretch Tune' features), also from Kawai Japan's support pages:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/manuals.html

That's all for now - please feel free to post your feedback in this thread.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
P

Crikey those are esoteric functions!

Why would anyone need or want to adjust the volume and temprament of individual notes on a digital?

Im not complaining just intrigued.

M
M
Originally Posted by puff

Why would anyone need or want to adjust the volume and temprament of individual notes on a digital?

If you play with string players, equal temperament will sound out of tune to them, so perhaps some adjustments this way would help. Adjusting volume of an individual note is a bit tougher to imagine being used except for if there's an issue with the DP down the road when it's old and certain notes are sounding louder than others (I've heard of this happen before), but I doubt building in something in anticipation of a defect is their goal. wink I'm curious to hear what other uses this could have.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Puff

Originally Posted by Morodiene
If you play with string players, equal temperament will sound out of tune to them, so perhaps some adjustments this way would help. Adjusting volume of an individual note is a bit tougher to imagine being used except for if there's an issue with the DP down the road when it's old and certain notes are sounding louder than others (I've heard of this happen before), but I doubt building in something in anticipation of a defect is their goal. wink I'm curious to hear what other uses this could have.

I can say from experience that Individual note volume (we at Roland offer it too) is a great feature to have. I can't tell you how many tech support calls I've taken over the years where an end user SWEARS up and down that "That _ Key is WAY louder than the ones next to it" when really it's pretty well balanced. They can fix that themselves now. Note that it not only affects volume, but timbre (on ours it does for sure, James can confirm it does on the MP11 and MP7 as well)

One of the other advantages to this is the COMPLETE customization of the piano. Per Note stretch tunings and note volume customization is just another tool in the kit that allows the user to change their pianos to be exactly what they want.

I think these are great additions by Kawai.

Jay

Industry Consultant
Hello Mate, thanks for the heads up. Will update ASAP. Individual adjustment seems close to the adjustment I have been menu searching for. Looking if an adjustment is possible (in menu)for voicing ( Needling the hammer felt cushion to yield a certain sound,(mellow or brighter)). Any thoughts, Thanks

P
P

Yes, I have some thoughts.

But I allready said I would keep Quiet. grin

OP Offline
Originally Posted by puff

As Morodiene and Jay explained, some users appreciate the flexibility of being able to adjust the volume and tuning of individual notes.

Moreover, this brings the MP11 and MP7 in line with other HI-XL equipped Kawai DPs (CA95/CA65 and CS10/CS7) which offer the same functionality.

Kind regards,
James
x

P
P

So what I'd like to know is if the individual note volume adjustment is global or can you save it into a sound or setup as with the Virtual Technician and most other parameters.

If so then I think it could be very usefull. (Ducks...)

OP Offline
Hi puff, good question - thanks for bringing it up.

The new 88-key volume/tuning function is set in the SYSTEM menu, to one of five User memories. These memories can then be selected in the EDIT menu, allowing different 88-key volume/tuning settings to be stored to SOUND/SETUP memories.

In addition, after editing the 88-key volume/tuning, the relevant User memory will be selected automatically, as with with the User Touch Curve and User Temperament adjustment functions.

These explanation points will be added to the MP11/MP7 owner's manual (PDF) in the near future.

Cheers,
James
x

OP Offline
A quick bump to note that the MP11 and MP7 owner's manual PDFs have been updated, adding explanations for the new features introduced with the latest software.

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/manuals.html

Kind regards,
James
x

S
S
Please, add the individual key adjustement to CN-34 as some keys have a "metallic/higher pitch" sound (for example, F under central C or middle D) when pressed hard in the Concert Piano preset. That do not happen when using Mellow.

That feature would be very very nice.

OP Offline
Another quick bump to draw attention to the v1.03 update for the MP7.

This minor update fixes an issue with the instrument's 'Quick Compare' function, as reported by Tritok. <-- Thank you!

Kind regards,
James
x

S
S
That has to break all records for speed of firmware deployment. I think the bug was reported this week. Well done Kawai.

Y
Y
I reported about the 'normal' touch curve being too heavy in one german forum. I wasn't able to play fff with it. Few hours later i got an email with a beta update which fixed the issue.
THAT was a record. Kudos to Kawai. I never experienced something like that before.

F
F
I guess the flash drive needs to be formatted in Windows not OSX as these are Windows files and I'm just getting a wait message in the MP7 display. I probably need to buy a thumb drive and format it with my iMac booted into Windows 7 via Boot Camp.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
If you buy a thumb drive and don't format it in anything, it's probably good to go.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
M
M
Originally Posted by fastlanephil
I guess the flash drive needs to be formatted in Windows not OSX as these are Windows files and I'm just getting a wait message in the MP7 display. I probably need to buy a thumb drive and format it with my iMac booted into Windows 7 via Boot Camp.

You can format the thumb drive in Windows (FAT32) format also under OS X using the disk Utility.

Anyway the MP7 has its own Format command too, probably the best choice (?) ;-)

T
T
Hi Everyone ! Does anybody know if a new official firmware will be released soon ? Which corrections , improvements , new functions ?

Thanks !

Last edited by Tritok; 06/25/14 05:06 PM.

Fantom X8 , Motif es6 , CME UF80 v2 , Kawai MP7

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...
OP Offline
The next software update MP11/MP7 are still in beta testing and will include bug fixes and operation improvements. We anticipate an official release in the next month or two.

Cheers,
James
x

P
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The next software update MP11/MP7 are still in beta testing and will include bug fixes and operation improvements. We anticipate an official release in the next month or two.

Cheers,
James
x

thumb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission