2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 80 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 79 80
P
P
I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning - I've been browsing the manual since before I ordered the unit smile (Due any day now)

Kawai MP7, Roland JUNO DS-88

[Linked Image]
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I couldn't stand you guys having all the fun without me, so mine's on the way, too. A special thanks to bryanstern for his input and help. smile

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
P
P
rtisticdude,

Using the on-board MIDI recorder is simplicity itself.

It helps to READ THE MANUAL.

The rhythm track dose not get recorded.

On-board MIDI is one track recording but there are 10 song slots to put your 'takes'. You cant overdub MIDI recordings but you can overdub if you record as audio to a USB memory stick.

Ive loaded a few pic up to the Photo Galery....

Can someone tell me how to get the pics or URLs into a post please?

Last edited by puff; 04/29/14 08:13 PM.
R
R
Thank you puff. Yes I reread the manual and your post answered the other points.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by rtistikdude
I want to be able to sit down at the keyboard solo (set the tempo of a tune I’m working on) and capture a musical inspiration as it hits, having the option of saving that inspiration as a midi track to then try out on different instrument sounds (either software or MP7 hardware), convert that midi track to sheet music eventually, and also, most importantly, try a number of ‘takes’ at that moment of inspiration - all being captured as midi so that if I get one just right (not perfect of course, never perfect, in fact I’m after capturing that raw, inspired expression in the take), I can save it and maintain the option of using it in the final mix.

Yes, you should be able to do all that.

Also, if I’m playing along to one of the rhythm tracks on the MP7 for tempo, will the keys I’m playing record as midi solo, or will the rhythm track go into the midi file as well?

The rhythm track will be recorded also, but to a separate channel (channel 10) of the MIDI file.

Kawai James said earlier in this thread that the MP7 records one midi track only (not 2 like the EP7) but then mentioned 10 songs.

That's correct.

So could I record up to 10 takes of a musical inspiration as described and each one qualify as a ‘song’ (without including the rhythm)?

Yes. Again, the rhythm track (if you decide to use it) will be recorded on a separate channel to the keys.

Or is just one take at a time period, for midi, with each new take overwriting the previous and erasing it forever.

There are 10 song memories that exist independently of each other, so you could record to song01, then song02, then song03, etc. without loosing what you had already played.

I must be able to record and save more than just one take at a time.

Well, you can only record to one song memory at the same time, however once you've recorded to song01, you can select song02 (which will presumably be empty) then record to that memory, and so on.

If it turns out it’s a one-take only opportunity for midi, how about moving files onto a usb drive take by take?

As noted above, the MP7 (and MP11) has ten internal song memories. After recording to song01, you select 'Save', enter the name, press OK, and the MIDI file is saved to USB.

Here's a MIDI file recorded on the MP7 in my office, consisting of keyboard and rhythm track. The playing is very rough and ready - I was literally just standing at the MP7, and didn't use the damper pedal etc. - but you should be able to import the file into your DAW to check that it will work for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/so29ba0xxrk9qa3/noodle%20in%20F.mid

I hope this post answers your questions.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
puff #2268859 04/29/14 09:14 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by puff
The rhythm track dose not get recorded.

Actually, the rhythm track *is* recorded to the MIDI file, on a separate channel.

Please refer to page 96/97 of the manual (Recording with the metronome):

* When recording with the metronome in Click mode, the metronome sound will not be heard during playback. However, when recording with the metronome in Rhythm mode, the drum pattern will be heard during playback.

Cheers,
James
x

Online Content
Originally Posted by voxpops
I couldn't stand you guys having all the fun without me, so mine's on the way, too.

Congrats vp!

You know what this means, yes...?

[Linked Image]

R
R
James,

I'm glad to have posted my long diatribe and get your fine response and sample midi file. You're playing is far better than mine btw... smile

I loaded your sample into Ableton Live Intro 9 and Ableton Live Intro 8. Both programs would not separate the channels/regions no matter what. Loading the file into Garageband v.4.1.2 automatically separated the regions but I could in no way export the keys-only region as a midi file. This is a GarageBand limitation. In Ableton, both keys and rhythm hits share the midi range from A#0 to F4 and don't separate into channels. Rhythm hits and keys share midi tones and overlap. I think this is a limitation of the “Intro” versions of these DAWs.

Conclusion is the M7 does a fine job creating midi files that indeed will separate the rhythm tracks from the keys into different channels/regions. It does its job. My problem now is a DAW problem and so it’s time to go to the Ableton forum to kvetch and kibbitz.

Thanks again. I think one of these M7’s will soon be mine. For the price point it is a truly generous, complete keyboard that fulfills many needs at a very, very high standard.

Cheers.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Congrats vp!

Thanks, James!
You know what this means, yes...?

[Linked Image]

Phew, I wondered how I was going to bribe you get back on The List! wink

mabraman, 2015
B
B
Richard (voxpops)
Congratulations. May this (DP) be the One.
James, I want to get on that list also. Mine is due on Friday.
Thanks everyone for helping me make my decision and order my MP7.
It'll be my 5th DP in 6 months. Please. I want this one to stick.

Will let y'all know.
Bryan

Online Content
Congrats Bryan!

Regarding 'the list', this has been a long running joke between VP and I ever since he first sold his Nord Electro 2 (?). I suggested that, as he was no longer a member of 'club red' (the Nord owners club) he would not be receiving a Christmas card from me that year. This theme has continued on and off, following the purchase and subsequent sale of other Nord boards that VP has purchased over the years.

Now, having purchased the MP7, he is back on the list...fingers crossed this still remains the case by Christmas!

Cheers,
James
x

W
W
Originally Posted by bryanstern
Just ordered an MP7 today from Sweetwater. Got it at a very sweet price. Really looking forward to checking it out and will, of course, report back here.

I'm looking forward to your report. I hope to be able to try one myself in May.

If I remember correctly you were considering the CP4 so I would be interested to hear how they compare.

Last edited by willf; 04/30/14 03:23 AM.

willf
W
W
Originally Posted by voxpops
I couldn't stand you guys having all the fun without me, so mine's on the way, too. A special thanks to bryanstern for his input and help. smile

I look forward to hearing what you think.

willf
willf #2269048 04/30/14 10:46 AM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by willf
I look forward to hearing what you think.

It's not in my nature to keep my thoughts to myself! wink

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by bryanstern
Richard (voxpops)
Congratulations. May this (DP) be the One.

Thank you! I sincerely hope so, too.

mabraman, 2015
B
B
James
Thanks for the explanation. I truly hope that VP and I are both in the Kawai camp come Christmas.

Willf
I should be receiving my MP7 on Friday. I have bought (and returned) two CP4s. So, I will absolutely be comparing the two in both my mind and words shared here.

There was lots I liked about the CP4. I was close to keeping it. But, I just wasn't ready to "marry' it.
More on this (and MP7) in coming days.

Bryan

D
D
I've been playin' and learning the mp7 a bit more today and I like it more and more. I really think the key click level in organ mode is a great feature. It's fun playin' the organ on it. I'm not an organist so a real organ player may not agree:)

I have put my Nord electro 3 on top, mostly for organ playin' but I'm not sure I will need it so much.

I will play with the band tomorrow and I will use it for a small gig this weekend.

L
L
I got my MP7 today, wahoo!

I'm coming from a MP5 and need some time to get used to the new layout, hardware and software wise.
There's one bug I already found, and it's keeping me from bringing the board to a gig this weekend.

How to reproduce:
-play a 'sound' preset (ie. 1-1-A)
-hold down your pedal
-release your fingers (the sound will continue due to pedalling)
-press 'setup'-button
-PROBLEM: sound gets a lot louder

If you now move the 'main'-fader just a tiny little up, the volume goes down to where it should've been.

Last edited by Lennert; 04/30/14 06:27 PM.

Kawai MP5 & MP7; Nord Electro 5D 73sw; Roland VK8 & AX-Synth & FR1
Kawai MP7 setup exchange: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KawaiMP7/
P
P

Maybe Im lucky and have a 100% functioning unit but this dosn't sound like a bug to me.

Relative volumes of sounds and setups are going to be hit or miss until you re-program them.

In setup mode just press Edit-scroll to Sound - Yes - and lower the volume (main sound?) Then save to that setup.

Sorry to be so obvious if it turns out do you have a bug.

Online Content
Good morning,

Originally Posted by Lennert
I got my MP7 today, wahoo!

Congrats!

-play a 'sound' preset (ie. 1-1-A)
-hold down your pedal
-release your fingers (the sound will continue due to pedalling)
-press 'setup'-button
-PROBLEM: sound gets a lot louder

I've just tried this on the prototype MP7 in my office, but cannot reproduce this issue.

Are you using the latest v1.03 OS?

If you now move the 'main'-fader just a tiny little up, the volume goes down to where it should've been.

Ah, I see. I don't believe this is a bug.

If in 'SOUND' mode you set the MAIN zone level fader to a relatively low position (e.g. 1/4), then switch to 'SETUP' mode which selects a memory stored with a different level position, there will be change in volume. I believe most instruments that feature some kind of 'user preset' functionality (including all other MPs) behave in this way.

Moving the fader after selecting a SETUP memory with a different stored position will result in a 'jump' back to the fader's position. However, this behaviour can be changed in the SYSTEM menu.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 19 of 80 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission