2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 223 of 341 1 2 221 222 223 224 225 340 341
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted by beeboss
I was just playing stolen moments in a big band the other day and was noticing that it has a rather unexpected major 7th chord in it. If you listen closely you can hear it in the 2nd half of the 4th bar. genius

at 17 seconds in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I777BcgQL9o

You know, I often wonder if mistakes sometimes just get left in and then become part of the song. Not saying that the maj doesn't sound good, but I really do wonder if genius was at play, or just some tired sax player was misreading his part and then Nelson going "hey! keep that in!"

I'm give them all a call and check. wink

It seems unlikely that he didn't know exactly what he was doing, judging by the quality and harmonic sophistication of his arrangements. The way the voicings move around in a parallel way make harmonic juxtapositions like that quite common. I think he may have got those ideas from Horace Silver. You can hear the same kind of thing in this tune …
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOK-Lkxbwsg

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm interested in what this sounds like...

In any case, Stolen Moments appears to be a modal tune,...

Well this is my point. A lot of minor blues tunes are really modal tunes. I don't really know why that is but a standard blues scale doesn't work on minor blues.

Minor tunes also lend themselves to quartal harmony, or even minor/major harmony.

So What can be played in such interesting ways that I didn't realize before.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
For those that are interested, here's a nice discussion of the basic minor blues changes and many possible additions and substitutions: http://www.jazzguitar.be/minor_blues.html

The author does a nice job of showing the step my step process by which jazz takes something simple and makes it as complex as possible.

Interesting how he limits himself to functional harmony. The (limited) chromatic movement introduces more modal elements which he doesn't address (unless it's in the small print -- I just looked at the changes).

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee

So What can be played in such interesting ways that I didn't realize before.

Like this maybe ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CmDq4GKSLw&feature=related

Blues scale is just a starting point

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

...which brings me to ask the question: why do I to worry about focusing on a blues scale? My teacher once told me. If you're not into blues then don't worry about it.

Why can't I just treat blues more in these terms?

I7 - IVAlt - VAlt

Then the whole chromatic scale is open instead of just thinking Blues scale. Now I can't yet hear what Pilc hears when he starts sounding out but I think this is more fun to me to explore than simple blues.

Now obviously I've played blues but I'm just not interested in taking it further the traditional way.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

It seems unlikely that he didn't know exactly what he was doing, judging by the quality and harmonic sophistication of his arrangements. The way the voicings move around in a parallel way make harmonic juxtapositions like that quite common. I think he may have got those ideas from Horace Silver. You can hear the same kind of thing in this tune …

No, I have to disagree. I believe everything Oliver Nelson wrote was just a fluke really. The notes on the page being somewhat like the paint splatters of a Jackson Pollock painting in his later years. It just so happened that everything fell in place and sounded cool. He was just lucky I guess.

Just kidding, of course.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My favourite Oliver Nelson tune Butch and Butch:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

...which brings me to ask the question: why do I to worry about focusing on a blues scale? My teacher once told me. If you're not into blues then don't worry about it.

Why can't I just treat blues more in these terms?

I7 - IVAlt - VAlt

Then the whole chromatic scale is open instead of just thinking Blues scale. Now I can't yet hear what Pilc hears when he starts sounding out but I think this is more fun to me to explore than simple blues.

Now obviously I've played blues but I'm just not interested in taking it further the traditional way.

I think everyone needs to have some real working knowledge of the blues if they are going to play jazz properly. This doesn't necessarily mean that one has to play blues scales or licks in every line (ugh), but it is a basic part of the jazz vocabulary. It's all the Anglo Saxon words in the jazz language. In the video you posted Pilc is clearly explaining that he imagines melody to be words and sentences, and that the difference between playing intervallically and melodically, in his view, is that by playing intervallically you may know where you are, but may not know where you're going. Which seems to me that it is the same as saying that someone may know how to blow over the changes, but lacks direction in their melodic content. The musical phrases lack meaning. So, in my opinion, sometimes the blues language is a good way to get yourself centered again, at least for a bar or two once you've left the tonal constraints of key, chords and melodic sense.
And by the way, even in his examples he's playing blues stuff, albeit in a few different tonal centers juxtaposed over the F blues chords.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well this is my point. A lot of minor blues tunes are really modal tunes. I don't really know why that is but a standard blues scale doesn't work on minor blues.
Oh no no no. smile A minor blues is a minor blues is a minor blues.
Has nothing to do with modal minor tunes.

A blues:

Last edited by chrisbell; 02/10/12 07:48 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell

...and to further the discussion of the blues scale... at 2:50 as well as 3:05 of this clip this is what I'm talking about. KJ does all this stuff leading away from the tonal centre for long periods of time, BUT at those two places (and probably more later, but I chose to write this before listening to the whole thing), he references the blues scale-- the first time in a different tonal centre, then the second, the tritone leap, within the key.
If its good enough for KJ, its good enough for me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh no no no. smile A minor blues is a minor blues is a minor blues.
Has nothing to do with modal minor tunes.

A blues:

Wait a minute. This is a major blues. Are you trying to trick us, Chris?

By the way, why aren't you posting recordings anymore?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

No, I have to disagree. I believe everything Oliver Nelson wrote was just a fluke really. The notes on the page being somewhat like the paint splatters of a Jackson Pollock painting in his later years. It just so happened that everything fell in place and sounded cool. He was just lucky I guess.

Just kidding, of course.

It is true that SOMETIMES the mistakes are the best bits ;-)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wait a minute. This is a major blues. Are you trying to trick us, Chris?
But of course dear chap, a minor blues is a minor blues; it's a major thing.

Many reasons. Foremost; family-work. Two small kids (1.5 + 4) takes up a lot of my time, my wife has been getting a lot of gigs lately - there goes my evenings.
as for work, I've been heavily involved in a cd production featuring bassist Palle Danielsson, there's been loads of last minute changes . . . apart from producing (recording/mixing) I've also designed the cover . . anyhow, it arrived from the printers today (release in Sweden the 28th Feb, end of March the rest of the Vürld) . . so my practice time has been cut short.

But fear not, I'm at it again. And will post some solo piano shortly.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

...and to further the discussion of the blues scale... at 2:50 as well as 3:05 of this clip this is what I'm talking about. KJ does all this stuff leading away from the tonal centre for long periods of time, BUT at those two places (and probably more later, but I chose to write this before listening to the whole thing), he references the blues scale-- the first time in a different tonal centre, then the second, the tritone leap, within the key.
If its good enough for KJ, its good enough for me.

And sometimes Jarrett vamps on a simple blues scale idea for 10 minutes at a go. I can't find any examples on youtube but almost every jarrett album has a 10 minutes bluesy vamp. One of my faves is the first track on Nude ants, awesome the way he builds the solo up from a few blues licks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Many reasons. Foremost; family-work. Two small kids (1.5 + 4) takes up a lot of my time, my wife has been getting a lot of gigs lately - there goes my evenings.
as for work, I've been heavily involved in a cd production featuring bassist Palle Danielsson, there's been loads of last minute changes . . . apart from producing (recording/mixing) I've also designed the cover . . anyhow, it arrived from the printers today (release in Sweden the 28th Feb, end of March the rest of the Vürld) . . so my practice time has been cut short.

You call those reasons? You Northerners are really lazy. smile
Originally Posted by CB

But fear not, I'm at it again. And will post some solo piano shortly.

Looking forward to it!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

You call those reasons? You Northerners are really lazy. smile
Must be my English work-ethic then . . . laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jarrett solo at a sound check, somewhere in the South of France I believe, burning on Butch and Butch doing his Oscar Peterson imitation; walking bass et al:
http://www.box.com/s/yp9jinx7z4uf8j3qcnl4

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
As there is a shortage of music her is what I was playing today ...

I am also playing the blues but didn't record it. Maybe tomorrow

Last edited by beeboss; 02/10/12 08:54 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice Dave!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
For those that are interested, here's a nice discussion of the basic minor blues changes and many possible additions and substitutions: http://www.jazzguitar.be/minor_blues.html

The author does a nice job of showing the step my step process by which jazz takes something simple and makes it as complex as possible.

Interesting how he limits himself to functional harmony. The (limited) chromatic movement introduces more modal elements which he doesn't address (unless it's in the small print -- I just looked at the changes).

I think the functional harmony is the basis for chromaticism. The chromatic ideas momentarily imply substitute changes that are functionally connected to the basic harmonic structure.

Page 223 of 341 1 2 221 222 223 224 225 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission