2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
39 members (3x4rt, CyberGene, Dazzie2, Greta99, 36251, EVC2017, BachToTheFuture, donpi, 7 invisible), 380 guests, and 374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Are There "Wolf Notes" on Pianos?
ClsscLib #2268183 04/28/14 11:50 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClssLib
That's instance 2, Rick (see above). It's an interesting subject, but a different one from that about which I've inquired (instance 1).

Well, I've never been good at debate, but I was referring to instance 1. Apparently, instance 1 and instance 2 are so intricately related it is hard to separate the two.

Put simply, experience the wolf-tone = no temperament. Hide/disguise/mask the wolf-tone = temperament. In other words, you temper the tuning because of the natural wolf-tone phenomenon.

As far as inharmonisity (rogue overtones) being called a wolf-tone, you can call it what you will, but it is not the same thing, though it may howl like a wolf. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
ClsscLib #2268185 04/28/14 11:52 AM
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
It's an interesting subject, but a different one from that about which I've inquired (instance 1).

Greetings,
Makers take great pains to make a flat response instrument these days. The scales are micro-processed for perfection, (to control for inharmonicity), the boards are made from spruce, which has a broader resonant period that harder woods. I am told old piano builder that a maple board would have suffered in the bass but really shouted over about an octave section in the middle). Hammers are prized for consistency, and the tuning is usually as democratic as possible.

The forte piano was another story, in that its registers were expected to have their own character, and I suppose, different makes had the balances between registers that were unique to their brand. I don't know, the old pianos will not easily tell us what they used to be.

Wolf tones in a piano have presented themselves to me in several ways. Most common were problems originating in the back scale that would sympathetically join in a near harmony with the speaking length, creating pandemonium in the partials, outrage in the overtones,etc. Other encounters have found a loose rib that didn't' rattle, but, rather, joined in with its own pitch, causing a note to sound discordant. It is not uncommon for a deep bass damper to allow some obscure partial in the heavily wound string to wake up and sympathize with whatever distant relative up the scale is calling its name. Sly sounds, those.

( I have heard faulty guitar tops, and violins that really " wanked"( that is a technical term among Nashville luthiers) on certain notes, mandolins will sometimes have all wolf notes, and are highly prized for their ability to "woof" alongside fire breathing guitarists and maniacal dobro players. )

Regards,

Ed Foote #2268220 04/28/14 01:36 PM

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Very helpful comments, Ed. Thanks.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
maurus #2268262 04/28/14 04:00 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by maurus
I'd say the closest to the phenomenon of wolf tones in pianos (in the proper sense, i.e. #1 in JohnSprung's post) are resonances with the vibration modes of the room in which a piano is placed. Depending on the room, especially in smaller rooms, these resonances may be much more pronounced and disturbing than unwanted resonances in the piano body itself. The latter are of course carefully avoided/damped by proper piano design.

Sometimes it's objects in the room, like a faux Tiffany lamp shade that rattles at specific frequencies.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
JohnSprung #2268268 04/28/14 04:22 PM

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Originally Posted by maurus
I'd say the closest to the phenomenon of wolf tones in pianos (in the proper sense, i.e. #1 in JohnSprung's post) are resonances with the vibration modes of the room in which a piano is placed. Depending on the room, especially in smaller rooms, these resonances may be much more pronounced and disturbing than unwanted resonances in the piano body itself. The latter are of course carefully avoided/damped by proper piano design.

Sometimes it's objects in the room, like a faux Tiffany lamp shade that rattles at specific frequencies.

Very true. Cello and bass players are quite accustomed to this phenomenon.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Rickster #2268328 04/28/14 07:07 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Part of the problem is that Rick is describing a Wolf Interval and the original question is about wolf TONES that the OP (and others) call a wolf note while some people also call the wolf interval a wolf note.

The wolf interval is the error in fifths caused by ET tuning as it attempt to spread the math errors in the pythagorean system of 12 tone scales.

A wolf tone is the dead spot on a string of a musical instrument caused its mass and intrinsic resonances. Most importantly, wolf-tones are independent of temperament and tuning systems. They occur at a specific frequency regardless of whether that note is just, sharp or flat in relation to any tuning system. On a semi-educated guess, I'm going to say that pianos don't suffer from wolf-tones because unlike violins, lutes and guitars, the notes aren't created by stopping the string at different locations along it's length. Empirically, I've never played a 'cello or an electric bass with a wolf on an open string. I have head dead string caused by either faulty construction or poor contact at the witness points on the bridge and nut but strictly speaking those aren't wolf tones.

No debate needed. We just need to get our terms straightened out.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
ClsscLib #2268331 04/28/14 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Part of the problem is that Rick is describing a Wolf Interval and the original question is about wolf TONES that the OP (and others) call a wolf note while some people also call the wolf interval a wolf note.

The wolf interval is the error in fifths caused by ET tuning as it attempt to spread the math errors in the pythagorean system of 12 tone scales.

A wolf tone is the dead spot on a string of a musical instrument caused its mass and intrinsic resonances. Most importantly, wolf-tones are independent of temperament and tuning systems. They occur at a specific frequency regardless of whether that note is just, sharp or flat in relation to any tuning system. On a semi-educated guess, I'm going to say that pianos don't suffer from wolf-tones because unlike violins, lutes and guitars, the notes aren't created by stopping the string at different locations along it's length. Empirically, I've never played a 'cello or an electric bass with a wolf on an open string. I have head dead string caused by either faulty construction or poor contact at the witness points on the bridge and nut but strictly speaking those aren't wolf tones.

No debate needed. We just need to get our terms straightened out.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt!

You hit the nail on the head (as we say here in the south)... smile

Sometimes my playing sounds pretty woofie... laugh

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
ClsscLib #2268408 04/28/14 09:50 PM
When I tune my harpsichord in quarter coma mean tone, I get perfect octaves and thirds, flat 4ths, wide fifths. This is great for playing composers like Scarlatti, who exploited the "wolf" for coloration when there are less than 4 sharps or flats in the key signature. It's a disaster when playing Bach, who uses lots of chromatics. Strictly speaking, there is no "wolf" in equal temperament, but there are certain notes that don't tune well, or intervals that don't work. Usually the odd harmonics of the strings, which are close to perfect, don't interact well with the less perfect odd harmonics of the temperament (3rds and 5th's). It's particularly annoying with hard hammers, which tend to generate a lot of higher harmonics.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
ClsscLib #2268423 04/28/14 10:17 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
You could say that modern pianos have a litter of 12 more or less same sized puppies depending on the preference and skill of the tuner.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
Chris Leslie #2268438 04/28/14 11:13 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Technical definitions aside, the "wolf" for me is any unexpected and unpleasant interval that might be perceived by the pianist for many, many reasons.

Here are two quite different reasons:

a) obvious reason... where a piano is tuned to one of many historical temperaments. The wolf shows up when you're playing way outside the home temperament;

b) less obvious reason....(but probably more interesting) where a piano is tuned in the usual (modern?) way, and YET wolf intervals creep in!!!

Why??? Sometimes, in my limited experience, a FRESHLY tuned piano, where the trichords (notes that have 3 strings) are tuned very "tightly"--each of the three strings that make up a single note is tuned very, very close to the other two--major 3rds (to cite the most obvious example) can sound very harsh.

As the piano resolves or settles in, the tightness of that sort of tuning resolves, and/or the ear accommodates, and the harshness disappears.

Either that, or the piano's size, scale, tuning, regulating, etc., etc., etc., is out-of-wack (apologies to the screenwriters of "My Cousin Vinny").

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,360
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission